Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle of Loch Ness

Guinevere had been laughing at the lad. But in her defense, what he said was absolutely hilarious to her. Everything simply made so much more sense knowing he was trying on purpose to be normal in conversation. Guinevere was a person who found playing practical jokes funny. When she was younger she used to press people's buttons, purposefully. Arthur could have no idea exactly how amusing she found his antics even when they weren't undertaken with the utmost confidence that he put into his work. "It was hilarious," she explained of her previous outburst. "Mostly, such things are funny because I know you're being serious~" she mentioned, having seemed to have stopped laughing for a moment at least.

This level of awkward was quite unusual, but Guinevere couldn't dislike it at all. It was quite easy to tell in such moments that Arthur was being genuine, because no one would be that awkward on purpose. It was currently a major selling point of the lad, that he was capable but not purposefully suave around her. "Indeed, flirting from me is a certain show of interest. I suppose that isn't always true but I wouldn't flirt with someone I didn't like..." she explained of herself. There were plenty of people who flirted as easily as they breathed but Guinevere didn't count herself among them. "That fourth answer is likely included in the do whatever makes you happy within reason part," she concluded seeming to be suppressing more laughter. "Though I suppose I should take that deal as an invitation, then?" she questioned seeming to think on it more before coming to a perfectly impish way to conclude such flirting. "I suppose I can accept such an offer, though I am a tad disappointed, I was hoping to find out how I would be blackmailed~" she teased face warm from the sun and her own kind of embarrassment. Strangely, this was an interesting development. She was just trying to get this lad to loosen up a bit, she hadn't intended to flirt with him at all, but with all she'd learned about him in the last few moments she could hardly resist poking at his very obvious weaknesses. Ah, well, lunch was all but over now, still, it was good to have him laughing and talking again. Even though she hadn't looked at him over the course of this meal... she could practically feel the warmth radiating from the lad. Who he was, as long as he was himself, was always going to be enough for Guinevere, of this she was somewhat certain.

"I'm sure you wouldn't," said Arthur about Guinevere's flirting preferences. Indeed, to flirt with a person one didn't like, was only an invitation to all sorts of negative outcomes. That is, apart from those individuals who were taken by madness, in which case... well, they were the negative outcome themselves. Whatever the case, the ultimate option Arthur had to choose from was the category of whatever he liked. That was far too open. He was effectively an infant in this world, and an infant in terms of international dealings in their home world as well. Were cultural boundaries related to matters of propriety in place here? Curiosities such as this should have come with some sort of manual in this world, but... he supposed propriety went out the window, thrown into the distance within his own bloodline some days ago. "Maybe..."

Arthur had taken pause, though it would not last too long. He couldn't allow those thoughts to silence him, even if he couldn't keep them from having an effect on his mental state. With all the effort put forth by the likes of Guinevere and Emilia, the least he could do for those who'd done no wrong by him, was try being sociable. "Maybe you'll get to find out anyway. Since you were hoping for it, it's worth at least keeping in mind. Though... it'd probably be disappointing. I don't know; my first attempt at blackmail would probably be threatening to reveal your secret part-time job back home─"

In darkness, there was light. Even within those specks of light, there was more darkness... though that may have been displaced in time, never to be seen as related. Aborigines of this world understood those things, however. Some could even see events of the distant future as if they were things of the past, and for those worldly creatures, such a statement was truth at its finest. What those beings didn't perceive at times though, was each other... at least in some cases. There was a creature of legend in this world, its name skewed by history multiple times over. Said creature appeared in Loch Ness with Arthur and the others, but in a way, that same entity arrived once more. An ethereal form, male by design and concealed by a translucent cloak of white, stood alone over the lake itself. This entity appeared to be observing, yet all-knowing. In fact, it was as if he wished to witness ongoing events with his own eyes despite having a very clear knowledge of them. Alas, it stood to wonder if it were even possible for the current inhabitants of Loch Ness to perceive the figure's existence. . .

Arthur was apparently sure Guinevere wasn't the type to flirt if she didn't feel like it. That was probably for the best, it was good he didn't have the sort of negative opinion of her that came from a lot of girls. "Hm?" the lass almost questioned. It was strange talking to Arthur in the moment, she felt so very relaxed in his presence even though the lad himself seemed to be quite worked up. Whatever happened between him and his sister, which she was imagining to be some sort of extreme version of the story version of Arthur and Morgouse. Didn't really matter to her, the laws of this world weren't so very strict about such things, and the world had its own rules applied. She'd learned long ago to not, think too much about things she didn't understand as they would become clear over time.

Whatever the case, Arthur claimed his first attempt at blackmail might be disappointing. He claimed he would likely try and dangle her previous job over her head. Such a thing made her smile a bit but not for any particular reason. "That would be a pretty good place to start I suppose. I did kind of just hand you that ammunition," she said with a straight face only to begin laughing afterwards. "Hahaha~" she managed to get herself back to normal in just a moment or two. "Okay okay, I suppose I would do a decent bit to keep that secret," she finally answered. Yes, she was continuing to give him ammunition, but she figured it was fair enough to keep him talking.

But soon enough, Guin would become a bit distracted. Out the corner of her eye, she thought she saw something. It had to be there, and it felt like it was watching. What was it? Or maybe that was the wrong question... who was it? She tried to gather her bearings only to look directly and have what she thought was watching her slip from view. A person in the distance, in white standing over the lake. Was it? No that couldn't be... they would have noticed that person long before now. Strange though, she was almost certain she gained the same sort of feeling right up until that person seemed to disappear. Maybe she was just imagining things? That would make sense, obviously with all this talk of blackmail it was likely she was simply imagining being watched as she tried to help Arthur out of his shell. Except, that wasn't the case at all...

Arthur doubted there was much he could actually do to Guinevere by way of blackmail. Actually, there was hardly a thing he would do; she'd done nothing outright malicious to him since their meeting. She claimed she'd do a decent bit to keep her little job a secret, though. Perhaps one should have taken that as an opportunity, but should Arthur? Would he? The answer was a mystery to Arthur himself, but he would manage to blurt out his first thought after a few moments of silence─ leading though the question was. "How much is a decent bit," he wondered, almost seeming as if it wasn't a direct question for Guinevere herself. In fact, it wasn't really... though it fell out of his face nonetheless.

He'd been saying something. A shame though it was, as whatever thought the man had slipped away from him in a matter of moments. Beyond the initial disappearance of a thought process, there was a distraction not even on his side of the conversation, but on Guin's. Having no clue as to this strange and sudden additional presence, Arthur could only figure it was a moment of contemplation Guinevere suffered from; he wouldn't interrupt that.

Ah, but the truth of events was far beyond some brief thoughts or blanked mind. The ashen figure upon the lake was very much real, even though he also wasn't real at all. Nevertheless, Guinevere wasn't imagining things─ she just wasn't perceiving properly. "Are you─" Arthur started to speak again, but the voice of that 'imaginary' figure suddenly entered the mind of all who inhabited Loch Ness presently. "Sleep," it said as if it belonged to some strange horror movie demon. Startling though it was, Arthur hadn't a clue where it came from. "Huh?" Arthur questioned. Little did he know, no creature within the boundary of Loch Ness would go without hearing this single word in their mind's ear─ not a single one.

Arthur found himself questioning Guinevere on the exact amount of thing she was willing to do to keep her own secret. A laugh escaped the lass as she gave it a bit of thought, and settled upon the most devious answer. "Arthur Pendragon, I can't well tell you... it'd give you an unfair advantage~" she teased lightly. Of course, she figured the lad wouldn't actually spend his spare time blackmailing her, it really wasn't worth it if he just wanted to spend time with her, or anyone else for that matter.

Too bad the happiness of the moment would soon be overtaken by something strange. That male figure on the lake and a singular word spoken by him. How creepy. Guinevere thought for a moment she might have been the only one privy to such a thing, but Arthur's reaction after failing to start a sentence let her know she wasn't alone in what she heard. "You, also heard it, right? It looks like a man is standing out on the lake, but... it's strange and then that word," she concluded. There was obvsiously something magical afoot. But what was it? Was it worth worrying about?

At the same time various citizens of Loch Ness also heard such a sound. One such individual would have a terrible reaction. Emilia in her life had been a school girl and a quiet one at that, she was quite fearful in her regular life. In this world of magic she'd gained a bit of spunk to go along with her regular status, but the word sleep echoing out of nowhere in horror movie fashion was enough to make her scream. "EEEEEEEK!!!" All the while, a certain court mage was sitting peacefully in the library of this place seemingly unaware of a problem. Had she heard the sound?

An unfair advantage, she said. Didn't he already have one of those? Yes, he could utilize that leverage right this moment. It would take nothing to blackmail her into answering the question properly, but... that would have been a waste. Moreover, it would have been a bit rude. Ah, and of course, there was something else to focus on─ such as the strange phrase Arthur could have sworn he heard. He wasn't the only one hearing it, and it wasn't from Guinevere's mouth. No, she found it just as strange. "So that wasn't you?" he inquired. Looking out at the lake, Arthur saw nothing resembling a man or any other sort of figure standing there. Were there ghost stories surrounding Loch Ness? "I don't see anyone, but I did hear something weird─"

On the topic of hearing strange things, many would have yet another sudden utterance reach their ear. Among these individuals was Sir Elyan, the closest to this secondary sound reminiscent of a screech. The white-haired knight burst into the girl's room mere moments after her sudden outburst. It didn't matter whether she was fit to receive guests at the time or not; he assumed the voice recently heard was something assaulting the lass. Elyan's sword was drawn and ready to be swung at a moment's notice. "Emilia! Is everything alright?!" he yelled immediately.

Of course, none of these 'normal' individuals could know that despite all hearing this voice, it was only meant for one. What would that one person make of it, though?

Whatever minor quip or unfair advantage Arthur was going to try, he wouldn't get to immediately. Instead there was now a conversation to be had, about the strange figure and the voice that had spread across the area. It seemed that Guinevere was alone in seeing the man on the lake, but his word had been heard by both of them. That was at least comforting, she was less likely to be crazy if she wasn't the only one who heard something. "No, it wasn't me," she said softly. "I'm sure it was the person on the lake... he said a word did you hear it?" she asked of Arthur. She needed further confirmation that she wasn't alone in what she heard. It was strange, but why would a random disembodied being be saying just the word sleep?

What had Emilia been doing before her uttered scream? Well, she'd been on her way to a food induced coma. It'd been quite a while since she had such a strange reminder of her home life. And after making lunch for Arthur and Guinevere she'd decided to eat something similar herself. Of course, in typical teenaged fashion, she'd overindulged and gone to her room to let it wear off. She was half-sleep in a giant bean bag chair, basking in the sunlight, warming like a serpent before the word sleep echoed. She'd screamed in response, having been so close to sleep that it was loud and made her feel someone was right beside her in the moment. Strangely when she opened her eyes, she didn't find Guinevere at her side playing a joke. And soon after the door was crashing open and her named was being called by Elyan the White. Her eyes widened and her face reddened immediately. This lad had come to her immediate rescue and she was now falling out of her bean bag chair trying to get herself together enough to speak. She was wiping the side of her face trying to rid herself of drool and scrambling to her feet. Even welted lines were present on her face as she'd been quite still for several moments. Emilia was never going to live this down. "I'm... alright I think," she said that redness in her face not going anywhere. "I just heard something as I was falling asleep and it scared me... I would have figured someone was playing a prank on me, but there was no one here. Did you hear it too?" she asked of the young man. Secretly she was quite happy that the people of this castle looked after her so well, but right at the moment she simply felt embarrassed to have been caught in such a disheveled state.

The succubus known was Merlyn was sitting in the library. She'd indeed heard the call to sleep, but didn't initially assume it was for her. Though in her own mind it sounded familiar. Like a certain twin sibling of hers, rushing her off to bed after she'd been up for too long when they had some early photo shoot to attend to the next day. But she couldn't communicate with her sibling, obviously this was just wishful thinking. Besides, she had no need of sleep in her current form. Instead of following the directive, she found herself checking in on numerous people in the surrounding area. Surely no malicious magic would have made it so close without some level of warning from either herself or Sir Cador? And surely she would have seen something malicious pop up on so random a day.

Whatever person Guinevere saw on the lake, was the only person Arthur imagined could have been behind the voice. Though Arthur couldn't see the figure, his only assumption otherwise would have been... Merlyn. If only he knew how close to the truth he might have been. Alas, Guinevere was there questioning the spoken word of that strange voice. He did hear it, yes. What did it say again? "Yeah, I did... I think it said sleep, which is why I thought it was you. Or... my dad appearing in this world and giving his automatic solution to my life problems again─" he said, oddly admitting a segment of his upbringing.

Meanwhile, Elyan was greeted by the most frazzled state of Emilia he'd ever witnessed. His eyes were darting around the room as his body turned, seemingly in preparation to defend against any assailants. Emilia claimed she'd been falling asleep when the noise was made, and it startled her. Where was the culprit? Elyan wasted no time before moving about the room, periodically checking around Emilia's location while trying to find any intruder. "I did hear it, just before your scream," he said, paying no mind to her obviously troubled demeanor. This was no time to worry about embarrassment; someone could have been in grave danger. With that in mind above anything else, Sir Elyan was looking under the bed, inside the closet─ everywhere he could, even behind the curtains and through the window. "It sounded quite distant, though. Had I not heard you just then, I would have assumed it came from a few doors down."

Ah, Sir Elyan the White was alert more often than not. Sadly, it was not the alert who were most likely to hear the sound. The closer one was to a dream-like state, the more audible that voice was. Elyan just barely heard something, while to Emilia, it was as close as her ear. Nearby, Sir Hector seemed to be looking far down the hall, while a certain Spirit Knight wandered about like he didn't have a care in the world. How very strange indeed. . .

While Arthur technically had the answer at hand within his mind, whether he knew it or not, aloud he shared something very different. He claimed he thought it was his father from the other world, coming forth to give him the answers to his life's problems. Guinevere was originally from a place that such an answer was indeed often given by the elderly. She couldn't help but chuckle. "Oh, your father sounds a bit like my grandmother. Not much in a Russian winter sleep can't cure~" she said happily. Still there was that unnerving voice out of nowhere so there had to be something to do. Guinevere found herself looking down at the doll in her lap and giving a casual shrug. "Viy hasn't anything negative to say... so it isn't an attack or anything. Still it is strange... voices don't tend to reach out to more than a single person, even magical ones," she claimed finding the occurance strange overall. "I wonder who needs to sleep," she said quizzically. Surely it was a message from beyond but who among their ranks could be in need of sleep so badly a wandering spirit would try to make them?

And now at the frazzled Emilia who seemed to be trying to get herself together enough not to seem completely out of sorts. She hated the idea she was being looked after all the time. Though she appreciated it deeply, she realized this helped contribute to her childish appearance in the eyes of most of her companions. Too bad, she truly was childish so there was not much more she could do, but pretend to be less so. Elyan did hear the voice before, but he thought it was from a few doors down, until Emilia screamed. Did that mean, that she alone was being haunted by the voice and he'd only heard it because it was close by. "So I heard it loud. And you barely heard it... I don't like it. What if something is after me?! I..." she seemed to go into a panic after her sleep induced haze. "I have to talk to Merlyn, she'll know what to do..." Emilia said. She didn't know why but talking to Merlyn always made her feel better. And the woman was quite knowledgeable and a succubus. So if something was trying to attack Emilia in her dreams, she was quite certain Merlyn could offer her help. "Would you like to come with me, Sir Elyan? Merlyn is normally in the library at this hour..." she said softly. She'd happily take the lad's company in her time of terror.

All the while, that magenta eyed succubus became aware that she was about to have visitors. Sir Elyan the White and the Lady Emilia were on their way to her. How interesting. She supposed her search of the area could wait, maybe one of them would have some extra information to share since they were together at a time like this.

"You know... he did sometimes like acting like an old woman," Arthur said in some haphazard attempt at a joke. He was hardly managing, but Guinevere was worth the effort at the very least. At this point, he was hardly even matching the effort put forth for his own sake; a bit more couldn't have hurt. Arthur continued the attempt to see whatever figure she'd been talking about. Of course, this was to no avail; he figured he just wasn't magically-inclined enough. It was strange nonetheless, though. Why indeed would an order to sleep be given? What could anyone gain from another's sleep, delivered as a message through the psyche of at least two people? Arthur could believe Guin's claim of it being no form of attack, considering her ability to detect such things, but that only created more questions. "Well, I haven't heard anything else... and there are no ghostly chills or anything either, so I'm almost willing to believe it's got something to do with Merlyn."

While Arthur was just on the right side of wrong, and just on the wrong side of right, Elyan was in Emilia's room making a marked effort to bring her to... well, the right side of reality. "Don't worry, Emilia. You're plenty strong by yourself, and even if something presented an issue for you, I'm sure all of Loch Ness would willingly rush to your aid by now," he spoke, seeming more than certain of the claim's accuracy. In the face of a request from Emilia, however, this assurance meant nothing. Elyan couldn't call himself a knight, much less a former prince, if he refused to accompany someone worried for their safety or anything of the sort. As such, he did not hesitate to place a hand upon his chest and bow. "It would be my honor to join you. I hope my doing so will keep you at ease during the journey," the white-haired knight announced, all while his free hand gestured openly toward the door.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast