Page 10 of 178 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

This woman spoke strangely while his daggers phased through reality behind her. He didn't look at the whole board? The chess metaphor was being taken a bit too literally, it seemed. What could he have been missing? There was nothing triggering his senses in this confrontation; she didn't have anything secret to pull. She had nothing, right? Though it was a waste, he expanded his senses... albeit at the worst possible time. Ah. That was why they should both be moving away from here. The exact moment Assassin expanded his senses, was the exact moment that monstrous existence would have been perceivable to him naturally. It was too late. It felt like hours passed before Assassin's gaze shifted toward the source of this great power. This was supposed to be an easy series of assassinations, wasn't it? No. Assassin's gaze met golden majesty incarnate, and just then, there was a spear tip through his dagger-holding hand. His weapon was released from his grasp as a result, but... this was not Rider's weapon.

No, this spear tip through his hand was attached to a long chain, which came from a golden ripple in the air above that golden-clad blonde in the distance. "Little worm crawling on the ground," he spoke, arms crossed and judgement being passed through a crimson gaze so distant from humanity. "Who gave you permission to look up?" Weakness was what the king saw in the Assassin. During the redhead's shock from the speed by which he was pierced, more chains with spearheads were shot forth. His outstretched arm, his legs, his other arm, even his face were shot through in a matter of blinks. "You are not worthy to gaze upon me. A worm is only fit to continue staring at the ground, until it is picked out to bait the fisherman's hook." One final chain was shot, its tip piercing the Assassin's head before those glowing red eyes were set upon the other combatant here. "You. Are you the fish this worm has brought to me?"

"I warned you." That was all the woman with her moving daggers had to say... why? Well because, that huge problem she'd sensed was now upon them and there was nothing they could do about him. And, this Assassin was paying the price for trying to take an easy mark. What was more, it looked like she might be next on the list even though she'd done nothing to deserve this kind of trouble. An elaborate metaphor about fishing was put forth and now... Rider was trapped waiting just for a moment, speaking to the man, better than being randomly murdered. Noted. He doesn't want to be looked at in this moment... Alright. She didn't have to look to see. "I am a monster not a fish..." she said carefully. "I had no intention of running into you just now. Your aura is a bit too big to take directly. I planned to observe for a while. I didn't expect you to come right towards us because Assassin attacked. But I reacted to defend myself... and he wouldn't take the hint and flee, though I also could have killed him myself and would have if it wouldn't have put me at a direct disadvantage." she explained of herself. She had a very memorable skill, and it lost effectiveness if too many people saw or lived through it. It was in her best interest to use it in blitz attacks and get rid of the evidence. Which she could have done in this case, if Gilgamesh hadn't stumbled upon her. She had an entire plan here, and none of it involved trying to take this man on immediately.

Oh, Jeanne was explaining to her sister, how to claim a win without a death. How interesting. Her older sister was a trained bodyguard and assassin. Jeanne had no doubt that she could kill someone if she wanted to, but here she was asking of the other options. "That's an interesting question from you..." she noted before moving on. "You can claim victory if someone hands it to you. It's possible to get people to forfeit a copy of their Mystic Code to you. It comes out in the form of a card. If they do, it will count as their sacrifice and they won't have to die to fill the Grail. I don't think may people think of that..." she mentioned to her sister. "So mercy is an option. Good. It would go against my honor to slaughter someone who does not want to fight or is incapable of it," she said. Artoria didn't know who all was in this barrier currently, but she was the type who would accept surrender if people would rather that than fight her. Perhaps it could even lighten their load and gain either or both of them allies in the process.

And so, within seconds of this Holy Grail War starting, one of its seven combatants was slain. Assassin perished in a way that was strange to Gilgamesh; he faded into obscurity, leaving magical lines of coding in the air where he once stood. Did that have something to do with the Holy Grail itself? Gilgamesh would leave the assumption at that for the moment. Now, there was the blindfolded woman to deal with. She claimed not to be a fish, but a monster. If he chose to interpret that a certain way, he would say all the better for slaying her. However, monsters did not know reason. This woman rationalized that she was unfit to face him directly. Well, she had a sense of her position in the world at least. "You have tact. That is commendable. Very well, then I will humor your wishes to survive by taking a coward's approach. Tell me now, what are the details of this barrier around the Holy Grail? That Assassin has been reduced to the words of the world, why? Explain to me how I go about claiming the grail... or does the alleged monster think to stand in my way?"

Meanwhile, Merlin was whistling. A pair of sisters taking on very different roles in this world were reunited, even working together for the sake of claiming 'the' Holy Grail. While they discussed ways of avoiding murder, there was another killed without hesitation, and yet another who might soon perish as well. It was almost laughable to see in his mind's eye, and well worth commenting on to the sisters. "If honor is something you're keeping, I suppose neither of you has a desire to wait until only one other enemy is left? Seven has already been reduced to six; five if you two count as one unit~"

This purple haired woman was being commended. Apparently the amount of tact she showed here, impressed a man who just annihilated another for looking at him. It was actually quite ironic that such a thing happened in front of someone like her, whose eyes were a death sentence as well. Ah, in exchange for being able to walk away from this, he wanted information. He truly didn't understand this, given his power that was an amazing thought to her. "Truly?" she said. Well, it would be better if he was informed of the rules at least, there was no need to give a man who could senselessly slaughter everyone that it was the only way it could be done. "The barrier that surrounds the Holy Grail is a feature of the world. It locks the named participants in order to give way to the Holy Grail war," she explained of the situation. "The Grail itself will grant the wish of the one who claims it... and the first one to touches it with enough sacrifices to fill it wins," she mentioned. "He is like that because he is...well, likely of separate existence to those born only of this world. He needs to be claimed, along with the details that make him in the form he was in before he was dispatched. Such is a thing that happens when two competitors come in contact with each other, have you truly not come across another from the other side since coming here?" What Rider described was essentially a PvP function of a video game. And that question didn't necessarily need to be answered. She simply found it strange considering how strong he was that he'd never encountered and killed another player before now. "You can claim that and it will count as one of your sacrifices, though since he was killed the grail itself as claimed him already," she mentioned softly. "However if you come across someone whose life you don't just want to end, you can have them forfeit the same thing to you in the form of a card. The one who fills and touches the grail, wins..." she explained of the situation. Obviously, she was here because she had a wish in mind, like everyone else did. And the deaths of others was one way to make it happen, though not the only way. The legends said that when Egypt rose, the Pharoahs ascended together for the grail. It was a nice notion.

At this point in time another was lurking behind a dark hood. She was currently aiming to win this, and strategizing. Of course, that particular strategy of hers, went out the window the moment her target aligned themselves with another. She couldn't dare try and take one of them. Their natural resistances would have them unable to be controlled quickly. Ah, but there was another, one she could use to try and topple the ones naturally against her, this was especially necessary now that Assassin was dead. "Tsk. I didn't expect to work with him again..." she mumbled. Still, within the shadow of her cloak she approached. Quickly beginning to cast a spell to control the mind of Berserker, who currently had the form of a young man. "I do apologize, I wouldn't have done this to you but I cannot put myself out here right now," a strange seal appeared on the back of her hand, and the magical network would aim to encase Berserker. It would give her control of his mind and body and allow her a physical manifestation to use against the others. "I will release you when this is over. I swear..."

Ah, and at the same time, Merlin was speaking of honor and claiming that some two opponents were already down. Artoria looked at him with abject confusion. "What am I out there already? Who kills someone in less than five minutes?!" she seemed outraged. Of course she was, she was by her own nature a natural born killer. She would have easily slayed a great number of people. "Heheheehe!~" this was a giggle from Jeanne. Her sister would be outraged, but that was fine. Jeanne would never lead them astray, they'd have both glory and the Grail, she was certain, no pair had ever topped them after all. "Never mind. It does not matter. You point we will go..." said Artoria, whose body became encased in armor almost immediately. No reason to leave herself open her sword was currently not drawn but that was fine as well. And Jeanne, closed her eyes for just a moment, she turned on the spot and when she opened them, she pointed with the tip of that flag. "There..." she said leading them towards Berserker. And with it, Artoria began to go as well.

The king was given much information about the grail and this 'war' for its sake. Good, good. Rider knew when to accept his glorious order as well. So then, he had to fell a maximum total of five more combatants within this bubble, and he would have the grail. Easily done. That thing was his, even as his drinking cup. If he had one wish to offer it, he would instead have it be filled with the best beer he had. Revive Enkidu using a magical wish-granting tool? The monkey's paw would not make a fool of him after everything else in this world did. As for the dead worm and his spilled Mystic Code, well... Gilgamesh would not sully his collection with something so basic, presuming he didn't have its proper versions already. "If the cup has taken him to fill itself, I have no use of it. Go, woman; take his innards before they coalesce into another abomination crawling through the dirt," he said to Rider. Why she called herself a monster was irrelevant; she was just some woman at the end of the day. However, she had been of use to him. He would offer her some form of remuneration, even if in the form of her survival. No... no, that wasn't quite right. Once more, he had nothing and was given something. His spirits, as a result, were high. Ah, but there was one infuriating thing to be addressed. "My question, woman. Is it your intention to reach for that cup of mine?"

In this war, there were now two alliances... in a way. That hooded woman laid claim to the silent one, the most physically intimidating of the bunch. They were... something resembling friends, in a way. Her words spoken in his final moments of consciousness were like a curse, but also like consolation. She would release him when this was over? That felt somehow ominous, but as his mind was lost to him, he could not think of why. For now, he was becoming but a husk. As Berserker, he was going to end up in that situation anyway, whether he understood that or not.

Ah, three were on their way to Berserker at the moment. Two of those three were even participants in this battle, while the third was simply a friendly observer hearing the reaction to the first notice of death. The first war had been this way as well, somewhat. Perhaps there would always be one person seeking to eliminate all competition immediately. Perhaps that would have even worked this time, if that one had not been the least capable of them all. And, perhaps it would have been quite helpful if there wasn't an illegal piece on the board to boot. "That number may soon be four... or even two, depending on the outcome of a conversation. This war isn't as fair as the last one. I think the grail made a mistake~"

This Rider was experiencing a bit of fright and a lot of nostalgia. The man who was standing before her was a bit like someone else she knew and worked for... that being said, he hadn't made a move against her so far. And when scary, larger than life people ask you questions... she's learned to answer honestly and quickly. Ah, but what was this? He was giving her the codes belonging to the dead man? That was his kill, was he really quite serious? Well, he obviously didn't need the codes, whatever build he had going was far beyond the level of those who tried for this grail. "As you like..." she said quietly. She reached for the codes and the look on her face shifted immediately. "Uh-oh... my boss is going to murder me. It's not really my fault though..." she said rubbing her face with one hand. Surely he was the most savvy businessman on the planet, he should have realized what a move like that could do in combat. Her boss' father was the fallen Assassin, and what would one like him be doing in a world like this? She supposed now that he was dead, it'd be rude not to take what was offered and she had some use of what she saw there. Binding and Severing. That was something she could use in her Omega Skill whenever it opened. It would make her little skill almost as good as this barrier at separating things from the outside world. And now she wouldn't even be allowed to properly think it over either, because now she was actually being asked a question and called a woman? Really? She hadn't been referred to as such since the base parts of her youth, it definitely hadn't been a reference for her while she aimed to leave that temple she'd been in. She didn't know this man, aside from realizing how very strong he was compared to everyone else here. His attitude was a bit familiar but it'd be wrong to make assumptions. "I... don't wish to die, again. If that cup is yours trying to take it is suicide," she replied, understanding the difference in power between him and her. "In the first place, this was just the least amount of bloodshed needed to put me in the one place in this world I know would offer me sanctuary without harm," she said an exasperated sigh escaping her. She'd already died, she'd already experienced the worst this world had to offer at the hands of a hero, in truth she had no delusions of grandeur. She simply wanted to live a life which was peaceful.

At the same time, an alliance had been made, or rather forced. A woman who was obviously a mage, had captured the mind of Berserker. She planned t use him a bit... at least until she could garner a more mentally fortuitous person to use in her scheme. She had a goal after all, and though she didn't want to harm the two blonde females she knew to be walking around this place, she did need them to not fight her. And she couldn't bewitch them without weakening them first. "Fight anyone who approaches. I will do my best to make sure you don't die," she said as an order. Yes, it was magically ingrained into this beast of a man. If he could take out any number of the others who would resist her abilities, she could release him after making sure he handed over his mystic code for the grail. This was humane. And once anyone figured out they were controlling the Berserker, they would... without question surrender to avoid death. She'd take their cards too that would give her the best chance of filling the cup enough to take it. Minimal losses with the assassin already out of the picture. And then she could finally do it.

According to Merlin, other alliances were being created as they moved. And what was this... he claimed this war was less fair than previous ones. "Eh? This one is not fair?" said Artoria with her brow raised. Why would he bring her here, if it wasn't fair, unless... he was actually just being nice and wanted her to see her sister. Maybe she was here to make it fairer for that girl, or maybe, this was just another of his amusements. Still, perhaps she could forgive it since her younger sister was here. "He's ahead of us by just a bit. He is a Berserker I don't know if we should try reasoning with him," she said softly. "Alright then, you want to run help defense while I slay or reason with him? I am not sure which will work but it would be better not to have someone mad running around in a small space," mentioned Artoria. Jeanne would nod her approval and hold that flag of hers before herself. She'd begin channeling an ability to add extra magic resistance to her sister and herself. With the amounts they had at base, it'd be nigh impossible to bewitch either of them and like this she could also heal the other lass if she needed. Artoria stepped up, armor glistening her face beautiful but those eyes of hers narrowed. "I will accept surrender or I will fight you... it is your choice," she said aloud. Medea carefully observed from the shadows. How interesting, this tiny girl had a gorgeous face, just like the other one. And what was more, she seemed to be under the impression that she could fight Berserker. that was dumb.

Apparently, that dead worm was somehow connected to the Rider's boss. She must have been referring to the world people like them came from. Oh well; this world was a different sort of beast, which offered mercy to no man. He, too, would refrain from showing mercy to the undeserving. That Assassin was far too weak to make it in combat against real magic. What sort of watered-down version of magic was he even using? Gilgamesh's journey had gone on for so long, he couldn't fathom such a pitiful imitation, but alas... he knew nothing of the thing that would soon be considered magecraft by those who knew the difference to proper magic. Whatever the case, he stood stationary while Rider claimed the pitiful code lines to whatever end she would use them. In the moments that followed, something strange was mentioned. She did not wish to die... again? His brow furrowed; that was a curiosity to express later. The way things were going presently, he imagined he would soon either understand, or have the perfect time to gain understanding. More importantly, it seemed all Rider wanted from the Holy Grail was a place of sanctuary. "Hmph. If it is strong-walled Uruk you seek, you have come to the wrong place. However, you are in luck. You've a decent enough head on your shoulders to avoid the ire of a king," he commented, observing her form, her mannerisms, and her ability beyond the surface. "If nothing else, you could be fashioned into a chambermaid or sacred prostitute. Perhaps you will yet reveal even greater value, no? Regardless, you do not behave as one stricken with blindness. Rid yourself of that blindfold, woman; you have permission to gaze upon your king's golden majesty!"

Berserker was given a single order: fight any who approached. Three happened to be approaching at the moment, and his breathing was beginning to intensify. Steam escaped the Berserker's nose while the words of a small woman fell upon deaf ears. Surrender? It didn't register. Fight? It did register, but in the voice of Caster within the recesses of his mind. Bow in hand, he thought only of attacking those who approached himself and his current master. As such, the Berserker knocked an arrow. His muscles were swelling rapidly as mindless grunts passed his lips. When that arrow was loosed, it would be aimed at the girl who first spoke to him, boasting all the piercing power of a rifle's bullet. At this point, Merlin was yammering again. "Eh? Now is the time you decide to try reasoning? He's obviously minus a brain, my king~"

It seemed there was a conversation to be had still. The large aura having man before her seemed to have more to say. He offered her sanctuary in Uruk of all places. Even with her eyes covered rabid confusion spread about her face. Uruk was a fairy tale, a crap shoot, a thing parents told their children to aspire to reach because it so obviously didn't exist. She wasn't headed to such a place or even going off looking for a place that might not exist. Egypt was home of the fair minded Pharaohs. Those who left in peace everyone but the rapists and child molesters. Given this knowledge, that place would have been a quiet spot for her to live in. "Forgive me, but Uruk isn't a place I knew to exist. The dream city from the dawn of humanity never seemed properly tangible to those of us here. But we were alive to see the Pharaohs rise and know what they are about, Egypt is the only place known to ascend to," she explained of the current world situation. "And I don't know what a sacred prostitute is, but after all of this I can say I am not interested..." she said. Even without specifics, her life down here hadn't been pleasant. Especially not in the most recent days. She didn't seek that sort of attention, she wanted only to live in peace. "About my eyes..." she gave pause. How to word this... was it more offensive to show him and have him be affected at random? Or was it more offensive to deny he wishes of someone who sounded like he was the King of Uruk, that fabled place. "You are correct I am not blind, my eyes cannot close though and they do a thing I can't control... I will remove it if you'd like, but... I'd rather not gain ire over something natural to my being," she phrased that sentence rather carefully. She could easily remove what covered her eyes but if she petrified someone accidentally immediately after claiming she didn't want to fight it might be taken badly.

At the same time, Artoria was being rebuffed for trying to take the nice route but it wasn't simply a matter of her trying to be nice. It was literally against everything about the way her being currently worked to attack someone who might not want to be attacked. Besides, her sister was here and there was a certain thing she was aware of that others might have missed. "Oh, and it starts again," she said to Merlin, that man truly didn't understand her at all. Now, she as being fired upon by the Berserker. No matter, in instinct was well beyond the standard. She moved around the arrow that was shot with enough force to penetrate and moved forward, quick enough that another arrow likely couldn't be loosed before she aimed to behead this creature with all the physical prowess she could muster and the shining sword in her hands as evidence. "Iie, Eri-nee isn't trying to reason. She was giving an option... she tends to when killing isn't the primary objective," mentioned Jeanne as she channeled her protections to her sister. "Besides, she's my big sister, so she always tries to set a good example for me. Even when I know how she is..." she stated with a proud smile. Hoshimi Eri was going against her nature as a killer to walk in this world as Queen Artoria, she'd make sure her sister always knew she could choose differently, even if she didn't say that, such was simply her way.

How was it possible that one didn't know of glorious Uruk? Was the lower world truly so distant that tales of the great city did not reach it? Madness, all of it! And what was this Egypt she spoke of? Ah, his journey had taken many decades. Some other place must have risen to Chaldea during his absence, and become a stable place of its own... though Rider's story implied that it was already such before ascending. "I know not of Egypt. If it has joined the ranks of Chaldea, it has done so while I have been away. Uruk stands, I assure you. It has not ascended, but has stood as the linchpin of Chaldea for all time in this world," he explained, taking great satisfaction in his own wonderful city. Apart from the gods's invasiveness (and Gilgamesh himself, according to most of the people) there were no complaints to be forged about Uruk. He would welcome the likes of her, whether she took up the position of sacred prostitute or otherwise. As for her eyes though, there was much to be said about their apparent nature. Hearing there was an ability she could not control, the king scoffed. "Do not insult my intelligence, mongrel. Of course they do something you cannot control! Would not one leave their eyes uncovered if not for some curse or deformity?"

Berserker's arrow had been evaded, but he did not care. His goal was to attack, and attack, he would. Another arrow was to be knocked. In the process of readying it, however, all was too late. Muscles began to grow and tighten as more adrenaline was forced through his body, this time specifically to enable quick evasion. Saber was his sole opponent for the moment. Her sword cleaved through the air─ albeit only the air, as Berserker's back arched to clear his nape of the blade's path. Momentum carried him farther back until he kicked off the ground. He was airborne in a blink. The knock of his arrow was completed in the midst of a standing, retreating backflip, and the apex of said flip saw the loosing of the arrow. Quick movements resulted in worse aim, but did that matter much? Not fully. Berserker's arrow would find its home in the ground just ahead of Saber. The power behind this one, however, was enough to leave a crater in the ground and send most individuals careening away from the concussive force alone.

Oh? According to Gilgamesh, the city of Uruk was the linchpin of Chaldea, not risen but there for all of time. No wonder they heard about it like it was a fairytale. Such a thing, was part of the age of the gods, there was no way the mortals from below could believe in it. According to him though, even after his journey his city would stand, she believed him. "Well if it will save me a death and let me ascend, I wouldn't mind seeing a fabled city," she accepted about as gracefully as one could given the situation. Ah but the matter of her eyes was still a topic of conversation. He wished to see, and figured their nature as strange in someway. And somehow considered it an insult to his intelligence that she had warned him of the potentials. "I meant no offense... I did have my head lopped off over them, it is a form of death I'd rather not repeat. I also don't think I'd be fond of the way Assassin died, if I am being honest," she said gently. Some five seconds after this statement was made her seal opened at the front falling away from her eyes, it'd settle around her neck to be resealed at her convenience. Her eyes were large, with square pupils the color of pale amethyst. What would happen as a result of seeing these eyes. The lesser of people petrified instantly, earning her the title of monster. There was a fifty-fifty on those who had around her own quality of mana, and for those ranked above, they would suffer the feeling of 'heavy pressure' under her gaze. This happened whether anyone was looking in those eyes of hers or not. Simply falling into the line of her vision was enough to render someone a statue. It'd been quite a while since she'd seen the sun, ah, but she couldn't blink regardless. Her eyes raised not to the sun but to the golden majesty of the King of Uruk Gilgamesh.

Berserker's arrow was avoided but so was Artoria's slash. How interesting. A small smirk appeared on the face of the Saber as she followed through that sword swing to land quickly on the ground. A pivot like a spin in a dance occurred counterclockwise to see the loosing of a fresh arrow after the recovery from a backflip. Artoria was knightly with a kingly disposition in most cases, but right now... she was having fun facing an opponent as mobile as this Berserker. "I take it you don't want to switch because you aren't a Lancer anymore~" Jeanne said of her sister, with nothing but amusement in her voice. "Iie, It is under control. I am stretching..." she said affirmatively. "Aaww, it's good that she's having fun," Jeanne said as if this was the most normal thing in the world. But it wasn't, it wasn't normal that even that altered shot of Berserkers left a huge crater in the ground. But Artoria pushed through it, her footfalls were even as the ground crumbled beneath her and she upon reaching Berserker again, would send a flurry of slashed towards his chest and torso, as if she intended to slice him up. Oh... that was it, she was practicing her sword swings.

Page 10 of 178 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast