Page 11 of 178 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

Of course she 'wouldn't mind' seeing a city as great as Uruk. Gilgamesh was sure none of the tales of glorious Uruk were lies. It was the finest city this world had to offer, of course by virtue of having the greatest king the world would ever know. Given what he saw of her now, they certainly had use of her. Perhaps she even had a place in the royal court, where he was certain to place the wine-maker, Siduri. Now then, onto the eyes feared by the bearer of their sockets. She survived a beheading caused by those things, apparently. No, that wasn't it. She'd been killed, she said so herself, yet here she was. He definitely had to bring her along now, even if only to learn the secrets she knew. "Hmm," he muttered, scowl on his face. Alas, it was torn away when Rider finally discarded that ridiculous blindfold of hers. He replaced it with his usual smug grin while staring into a very interesting pair of optics indeed. Those were Mystic Eyes, as he recalled. It had been many, many years since he'd seen a pair of those, even different in their purpose. There was no petrification coming the king's way. That heavy pressure was more like a taste of home, and nothing compared to the sensation of passing through Mashu's gate. While his own gaze stared back into hers, Gilgamesh stepped forward. He would take hold of Rider's face by chin and cheek, tilting away and having a closer look at those amethyst orbs. "How wasteful. Eyes the likes of fine jewels, such a rarity among mongrels, and you dare leave them covered."

Berserker's growth was occurring with greater rapidity over time. When he landed, he had triple his original weight, causing the ground at his feet to crumble under the landing. An exhale produced more steam. It seemed almost as if there was a strong heat building up within his body, though perhaps there wasn't at all. Nimble though he remained, as the approach of Saber was met by the use of his massive bow as if it were a melee weapon. In response to a flurry of slashes, there was a flurry of parries. What a shame. Had he come equipped with a proper bladed weapon, he may have been reminded subconsciously of the flying sparks brought about by such magnificent combat. Only one hand was used to perform these parries, but he wouldn't have been much of a Berserker if he didn't remain on the offensive. A stomp drove his foot deep into the ground during the clash. Something had to be under there, right? Right! His foot emerged along with the long root of a tree, which Berserker's free hand snatched and pulled. Of course, the tree was tugged from its resting place nearby as a result. What was he to do with it? Well, it was just a thing. As a simple thing, it was a weapon in the Berserker's hand to be swung at the small girl─ whatever he required to strike his target down.

Ah, her eyes were now visible and the King of Uruk was looking directly into them. How did she feel about this... well strangely. On the one hand, it was good to know her current arrangement wouldn't be falling apart based on the idea that she'd overpowered or killed the one she'd mage the arrangement with but on the other, if she'd actually managed to kill him, it was likely she could have taken the rest and the Holy Grail with no issue. "That is simultaneously a relief and a bit of a disappointment," she said with a great deal of honesty. "I mean, as far as tactics go... if they had worked on you, I might have easily claimed that grail regardless..." she explained of herself. As for the quality of her eyes and the disgrace of covering them, the woman managed to look genuinely surprised. Much like the first time a man hit on her in their previous world, she'd not expected such a compliment at all. "I...ah... thank you. I didn't expect that," she murmured. She'd not been paid a single compliment in quite a long time. But there was an explanation for covering them, in spite of how much of a waste it might have been. "I didn't have much choice. It's a bit of a hinderance to turn everyone within my line of sight to stone. And those who have knowledge of them, try and kill me over them, so... tactics play a large part in it," her modesty over this was created by necessity. "Besides, I can't close them, so sleep isn't truly possible for me without them sealed off," she said, just a slight tinge of pink was on her cheeks. This man was still staring at her and that was a bit strange for her. Though there was quite a bit of modesty in her base personality, even when she could be considered beautiful with or without those eyes. And there were also Gilgamesh's eyes, which she could swear she'd seen before. Actually if not for that hair color she would almost swear he was related to...

Artoria was surprised. The slashes she offered this beasts chest were met by parries with his bow. How strange it was to have slashes that could have felled anything met by the movements of others. It was exciting, there was little that could compare to it as a feeling. A job where she had to think to get through it, was a high tier job in Artoria's mind. No. In Eri's mind. But now he was stomping growing larger and larger as his body filled up. Steam was coming out of his mouth and in the middle of their clashes, a tree was uprooted and turned into a blunt weapon as well. A tree swung at Artoria would become something she ran along at maximum speed during the slash. Her sword moving about in her hand as she prepared a slash to be delievered over the creatures shoulder and down his back slashing over the tree arm side down to the opposite hip in the rear. She would draw blood today, she would have fun. Still, that little smirk on her face had never wavered. At the same time Jeanne kept up her enchantments. She knew Artoria was trusting her to watch their back from magical attacks and she would see to it. Besides, Jeanne was a problem herself, none could approach her lightly.

True enough, if those eyes of Rider's were infallible enough to best Gilgamesh, she should have been easily capable of dispatching the others in this battle. The Holy Grail could have been hers with little difficulty, but that was not to be. Besides, it was by royal decree of his own that all treasures belonged to King Gilgamesh. Punishment for theft, as reaching for the grail would be considered, was death. Perhaps those cursed eyes of Rider's could be used to mete out said punishment in the foreseeable future? Time would tell what use she served, but there was one fact presently: her eyes were being wasted. "Fool! Cursed be those who discover something truly magnificent and seek to destroy it. As for the rest, if their fate is to be made statues of by falling under your view, does not that mean they were unsuited to gaze upon you? Let the unworthy be made of rock, lest the worthy be robbed of a rare treasure," he spoke while tilting her chin upwards into his own gaze. "Now, come." And with that, Gilgamesh chose the present to seek out the others who reached for that goblet of his. If this new woman was to seek Uruk, he expected that she would be following suit.

Had Berserker been of his own mind, Saber's maneuver around the tree trunk he swung would have been highly commendable. Even more worthy of praise would have been how she followed through to draw the first blood of this battle. Crimson fluid spewed from his back as the result of a rather deep gash, though there was no outward reaction from Berserker himself. Well... he was a Berserker, after all. In this particular Berserker's case, that wasn't the whole of it. As he turned about clockwise aiming to quickly slam that tree trunk into Saber once more, those who were then behind him would be able to witness the nigh-immediate recovery of his recently wounded back. Saber, however, would continue to be shown his front as the attempted onslaught continued.

Ah, after this bit of conversation, she was used to the idea that she'd know an actual insult when the man gave one. The words he said normally were highly pompous but she was realizing he was just a person with an exceedingly abrasive personality. Beyond the abrasiveness of his personality though, he was apparently a pretty motivational speaker beyond that. He held it as his own belief that any who were destroyed by her eyes didn't deserve to look at her. More so, he made it obvious he well and truly felt this way, claiming such a thing shouldn't be kept from those who could appreciate it. "Considering the death of Assassin, I know you believe that..." she said seeming to find it odd. Still, one couldn't hate the amount of confidence such a stance took. Given what her former employer was like, she supposed she'd dealt with more general fright then such a thing. Apparently, now was the time, seeking the others that were likely considered enemies to Gilgamesh. "All four of the remaining participants are..." she gave a pause and pointed. "That way," she mentioned giving it a bit more thought. Still it was strange. Two of these mana signatures were entwined in a way that implied one of them was being controlled by the other. "It's weird though..." she said softly.

At the same time, the work of Artoria was being appreciated by both her own sister, and the Caster hiding in the shadows. Caster's plan was falling apart at the seams. As Artoria seemed more than capable of handling Berserker though not right overpowering it. Jeanne was keeping both of them from being even remotely picked at by her magic. It would have taken literal days for Caster to tame even one of them enough to use against the rest, and that was simply time she didn't have. 'Ugh, I don't know whether I like the moxie of these ladies or not,' she though. Still, she could do nothing but respect an obvious set of siblings looking out for each other in this crazy world of theirs. At the same time, Artoria drew first blood, and this enemy of hers turned to face her immediately. She didn't get the real satisfaction of making her injury stick. Jeanne's eyes widened seeing Berserker's back and knowing her sister had sank that sword home before. "He regenerates..." she mentioned to her sister. Artoria at the same time was dodging left of a tree being used as a weapon against her. Having kept the distance she didn't have to worry about projectiles, but... this Berserker wielding a tree was problematic. Still that little smirk remained. That leftward dodge had the lass making quick steps around the hand that held the tree. She aimed to wound that arm directly with several slashes at the wrist, and going down to the beast of a man's ankle. Why? Well, in order to fully utilize her own most powerful ability needed a bit of wind up time if she wanted to combat regeneration.

"Hmph," was the only response of 'Archer' to the notion that he believed his own every word. He needed only move forward, and Rider had the direction of all other combatants pinned. Oh, she was already proving herself somewhat useful. He needed no direction, but he would not shrug off her ability to determine enemy location. Weird, though? It mattered not. "All the more reason to witness conflict with my own eyes. Come, Rider."

Berserker's assault was relentless. Alas, the same could be said of the little Saber's evasive maneuvers and counterstrikes. The tree he swung scraped the ground, tearing it asunder, yet bark and dirt were not the only things spraying in the wind. There was another splash of blood mixed into the debris, erupting from Berserker's wrist and... ankle? Under any normal circumstances, anyone would have been both disarmed and grounded. Berserker, however, was only the former. Over a freshly fallen trunk, Berserker turned again. His right hand and ankle were out of commission for only moments, but his bow-wielding left hand could still be used to deliver a punch. His fist was large enough to consume the small woman's head and torso simultaneously, and the presence of the bow within that fist extended his striking range by roughly a meter in either direction.

All the while, two men were mobile. Gilgamesh's sights were on this group from a distance during his approach, while the sights of Merlin were elsewhere entirely. There was a woman in hiding, and Merlin himself... right beside her, taking in the battle from a shared perspective. When had he arrived, or even made the trip? Well, there was no trip. He arrived; that was all. "So, I'm deathly curious," he said suddenly. "How reprehensive were you about overwriting the mind of your own comrade? Couldn't you have just... talked him into it?"

"Medusa," said Rider. If anyone should know her name, it was likely this golden man who was now considered her patron. She'd hand over her class card when she was sure he wouldn't have use for her in a fight. Whatever the case, they were now on the move and headed towards the group of four currently facing off. At the same time, Artoria was moving about fighting against the Berserker as it regained its abilities to move its body rather quickly. She was drawing blood though, which meant she only needed an opening to win. And she'd find it because it was her nature. All the while, the smallest upturn of her lips was present. A large fist was aimed towards the whole of her entire body. If such a thing connected a regular person likely would have had their whole body knocked in two separate pieces. But Artoria wasn't the type to let such a thing get in her way. She moved forward, ducking under the fist, the tip of her sword coming up with a swiftness, and where it met the center of his torso, a beam of light escaped the tip of her sword, aiming to rip through the entirety of the creatures bulky form and blow out of his back in a single concentrated beam. "Eri-nee.. we have incoming," said Jeanne, knowing that two more were on their way forward. "It is fine, Emi. One problem at a time..." said Artoria who was amused beyond all reason.

At the same time, the purple haired mage was now being conversed with by the one who'd shown up with the problematic Saber. Her eyes widened at his assertion, and she turned to look at who would get so close to her. "First, I wasn't planning on using him. But... it became the best solution while I weighed my options. I could have talked him into it, but... he only listens to one person when he is in Berserker state, and that person is not here... I wouldn't risk him rampaging on me," she said of Heracles, going specifically without mentioning who it was he listened to. Moreover, she was now staring at what had to be the most attractive man she'd ever laid eyes on. "You're gorgeous..." she mentioned only to take a step back. "Wait, I don't think that... I never think that... get away from me." This was a strange happening. As far as she understood her own status, she only found Jason attractive, she loved him in a way that was sickening to her soul, even after all he'd done she was here now, for her sake and for his.

Medusa, Rider corrected. To this, Gilgamesh gave an immediate scoff. He hadn't asked her name for a reason, but there was a reason he spoke the name of her Class instead. "I did not ask your name, Fujita Harumi. This barrier has determined that your identity is Rider, so Rider you are," he continued. With that, the king continued onward to behold a very interesting sight. Locked in combat were the identities of Saber and Berserker. Some hundreds of years ago, he recalled the Berserker Class being one difficult to deal with for only a single combatant. In the same respect, however, there was a specific player of Age of Eternity who proved dangerous even to the likes of him. That face he could now see twice, was one he had always seen twice. Ah yes... there were always two of them, weren't there? True though that was, one of them was of particular interest, and she happened to be the one facing Berserker with... a very interesting thing as the first sight he fully witnessed. . .

What was that first sight? Saber was faced with the massive fist and bow of Berserker, only to slip underneath. An upward thrust of her shining blade met the left pectoral muscle of Berserker. Unfazed was the hulking male, yet that was only a matter of the initial plunge. What brought about the slight widening of Gilgamesh's eyes was the sight of a blinding flash that blasted through Berserker's torso and shot outward into the open air. The Berserker's bow arm fell, dangling by only a small segment that connected his armpit to his side. His shoulder, part of his neck, and most of his torso were missing, and his head was dangling to the opposite side just as his arm was hanging low. "H'oh? Interesting," Gilgamesh mused. Also interesting though, was the fact that Berserker was beginning to recover from even that blast, though his onslaught had been halted for the time being.

Meanwhile, Merlin looked through the corner of his eye at the Caster of this competition. There was a smile on his face that would not go away as she offered her explanation. "That is the way with all the Argonauts, isn't it? He has the same level of control over you too, right?" he inquired. Her excuse was reasonable at least, but more worthy of note was her reaction to admitting an attraction to him. She merely looked at him the same as all women, bar very, very few. What was so strange about it? Well, it was more than obvious to him that she was under a very powerful spell, the likes of which could hardly be seen in this world by now. In fact, such a thing outdated even him... which was quite rare. "And why wouldn't you think that?" Merlin offered mock wondering as he stepped toward the Caster, his hand rising to take up a few locks of her hair. "I'll take the compliment, though. I always wondered if I could be appealing even to someone with a curse as strong as yours~♥"

Now, something strange was about to happen properly. King Gilgamesh addressed Medusa by her name, well... that wasn't the truth, he didn't address her with the name she'd given, he addressed her with the name given to her upon her first birth. "I haven't had my name said that way in ages. That is disconcerting," she said immediately finding that usage of her name to be more like the person whose eyes his reminded her of than any other thing he'd done thus far. In fact, if she wasn't absolutely certain that girl wouldn't have killed her father in such a way as she'd already witnessed, she would be certain they were the same person. Ah, that man didn't seem like the type to stray either so... they weren't siblings right? Where would that likeness have come from?

Rider's question would go unanswered for now. Instead, Berserker would be seeing his body blow apart, but as Artoria looked at his body she saw that it was already regenerating. A mindless beast like this was just going to keep attacking and with the arrival of others to watch this fray, she'd done enough exercising for the day. The woman in blue had her stance change, that shining sword of hers was risen above her head. The ground would seem to shake as magical energy gathered around her. But, Artoria was not a Caster, she had no magecraft to speak of, but what she did have, was unrestrained power. The downward stroke of that sword would release a burst of energy, not the attack of her sword but one of her magical quality. This was done with the intention of finishing the job of disintegrating Berserker before he could finish his regeneration. The ground would be left marred, small rocks vaporized and more so than that, the shining light of Artoria Pendragon was there for all to witness. A mindless beast, even controlled by another was a problem she didn't need for the rest of this war, this was especially true with the arrival of that man. She didn't turn an eye to him immediately she knew by the sound of his voice who he was, but why was he here?

At the same time the Caster who'd contracted the Berserker was astounded. She didn't know if he'd survive that onslaught, but she had bigger problems. Like the white haired man next to her, apparently discussing the nature of the power of the Argonauts and flirting with her? "Something like that yes... but me, I'm entirely different," she said. That statement was true, Medea of Colchis wasn't under the control of Jason the Argonaut. She was madly, cursedly, in love with him. She did many things because of this, love not the least of this was betraying her father and murdering her own brother. She'd devised strategies for his ascent. She'd bore him children. She'd done many many things to win the affection of that man to have him feel for her as she was forced to feel for him, before she'd ever laid eyes on him. But... he didn't love her back. He'd abandoned her at the first sight of some advantage to be gained and after the death of her children her heart broke. It broke even more when she realized she was blamed for it, as if she'd done it with her own hands. As if she was capable of something that heinous. "I wouldn't because I can't. I can't feel that way for anyone else... so it has to be some sort of sorcery. Though I don't know what kind considering I've been trying and failing at getting rid of it myself for decades," she said thinking about it more. Merlin approached her, taking locks of her hair in his hand, and calling her sudden admission about his attractiveness a compliment. "Why? That can't be a compliment and there is no reason you should have any hold on me, so why?"

It was no surprise that Rider found his knowledge of her original name strange. No others he knew of had such capacity to discern the truth about others. Gilgamesh had grown up in this world believing it was connected somehow to his prophetic dreams, even feeling that it was so, but never delving deep enough into the truth of his own ability. Perhaps he would do so, now that his long journey was at its end. "No truth escapes my eyes," he said in passing.

What more would surprisingly grace the gazes of King Gilgamesh? There was very little that could properly impress him, but the gleaming display of Artoria's mana was undoubtedly going to do the trick. He saw right through that beam to the woman on the other side. Flaxen locks billowed, perfectly framing a visage that contained focus, determination, and beyond that... a hint of impossible dreams. Siduri recently instructed him to take a wife, did she not? Well, his choice seemed to have been made in a single moment of brilliance. What he gazed upon was like a distant star that overtook the morning sun with its radiance. At the same time, all that surrounded it was shoved into darkness. Yes, only the light of that star was allowed to exist. Only it, and only him, for only he could truly admire that star's beauty and the destructive power it was capable of. Oh, it was such a mighty display, even Berserker was reduced to ashes on the wind. Was he finally done for? No, there was more to him yet... but not now. Gilgamesh could see that, but it blurred away as part of the background behind Saber and that impossible thing she wielded, out of even his reach. Such was the same as the woman herself, was it not? "Despite having a body of mud and soil, as all men are, this one has her heart set on standing shoulder-to-shoulder with gods," he mused. "What bitter irony. This one also happens to have her eye on my goblet?"

According to Caster, she was not the same as those other Argonauts. True, she wasn't; she was something far, far worse than the rest of that lot. She had gone above and beyond for the affections of a man she knew nothing of, bar his name even at the time of murdering her own brother. What a cruel curse. It wasn't too powerful though, clearly, as she still gazed upon one such as Merlin with interest. "Obviously, you can. Would you be trying to convince yourself otherwise if it wasn't happening now?" Merlin asked as that hand released Caster's hair, taking hold of her hood instead. He wished to pull it from her head and unveil the whole of her face. "As for why, why bother wondering? How long do you plan to be stuck between trying to get Jason's attention, and trying to get rid of him in your head? Did you ever think it best to seize a moment when it presents itself? You don't need the grail to have worth, and you don't need the grail to save you either."

What kind of strange man was Gilgamesh that he knew her actual name? Well she supposed if her own eyes had strange powers, that it wasn't completely impossible that the King of Uruk had been granted a special talent or two. It didn't matter long term she supposed, it wouldn't be a problem she'd have to deal with. "Alright, avoid lying... I'll remember that," she murmured quietly.

All the while they watched an interesting show. Artoria turned Berserker to ashes and afterwards took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. That small smirk came back to her face in the moment her muscles relaxed. At the same time Jeanne was immediately at her back with her own pressed against her. "We have company..." she mused softly to her sister. Artoria opened her eyes and narrowed them in the direction of Gilgamesh, another death glare came from that blonde young woman, as if she hadn't an ounce of fear in fact, it was more like a disdainful accusation. Why someone like him was here now was outside of her normal logic. "Berserker will come back as well..." Jeanne mentioned knowing that the regeneration would pick up again eventually. "I said one problem at a time. We still do not know where that Caster is, and now Rider and Archer are far too close," Artoria mentioned. "What do you want to do?" she asked of her younger sister. The two women stood back to back ready to take on the entire world together if they had to. Archer's words weren't ones she liked, but it was about like him to have such a high opinion of himself that he would claim something without knowing its purpose. "Your goblet? Your kingdom already sits above does it not? You would chase a redundancy, or do you have a wish you cannot grant yourself?" Yes, that was it, figure out what he was here for, and figure out if it'd be necessary for her to take him on here and now. "Or is it simpler than that? Did you decide to walk among us who would reach higher just to stand in our way?" Artoria questioned. Rider was also a problem wasn't she, Mystic Eyes were rare in modern times, but Artoria had some knowledge of them, and knew that she could be potentially problematic depending on the power those eyes possessed. The Age of the Gods was coming to an end, and their favored champion would not be stopping the ascension of mankind.

"Crap," The initial destruction of Heracles was a bit problematic. If Artoria could do that, she didn't have nearly enough time to prepare enough to claim her as a champion. Nor did she see any having an easy time beating her. That is aside from another person she couldn't capture. And what was more, there was the part about her denial of the attractiveness of the man in front of her. Would she be trying to avoid mentioning it, if there wasn't truth to his statements. "I don't wish to talk semantics. It doesn't make sense, disbelief is a natural reaction," she tried to be logical about it. But even just looking at this man she was close to forgetting why she wanted this Holy Grail. He wanted to know how long she planned to keep trying for Jason's attention or trying to get rid of it. "I..." she gave pause. "I don't... it's complicated. I don't know why you'd know that..." she mentioned. Her hood came back revealing that lovely face of hers with purple eyes and those knife shaped ears. Still she looked a bit tormented, the light in her eyes was far less lively than it should have been, it'd been this way since she'd come to know of Jason and it was something she'd been struggling with for decades. "I don't know any of that.. I know the grail can grant my wish. I know it has enough magic to undo what that stupid goddess did to me," she said. But what of seizing an opportunity when it arrived. "I would... if I thought it would work. You... affect me, which means there are other means to fix this. But why would you help me?"

Page 11 of 178 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast