Page 112 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1773

Thread: Finis Chaldea

While watching for any sort of reaction to the reed cats, what Gilgamesh witnessed was something not unlike Artoria's previous behavior around lions. How interesting. All pomp and circumstance went through the proverbial window with this one when such felines were present. In this particular case, it seemed she'd never seen this form of cat. The utterance which proceeded this admittance was made with childlike innocence, and there was even the unfiltered behavior of nudging his side while stars seemed to dance across her eyes. If this was all he had to do to unveil that side of Artoria, he could have done so centuries ago. Alas, the queen managed to embarrass herself with this behavior. It was frankly quite adorable, watching her shift from childlike glee to a terrible attempt at composure. "Fuhahaha!" he bellowed, alerting the cats, though they seemed far too busy cooling themselves off to flee just yet. "You would still restrain yourself unnecessarily? Pointless. Brandish your true self as if unsheathing a ceremonial weapon, for it shines brighter than any tool or ornament," he declared, having enjoyed every moment of Artoria's... accidental reveal of her softer side. His eyes closed briefly, and a wide grin stretched across his face. Vimana began to lower itself slowly toward the ground as he carried on. "They are mere housecats in nature. I hear you managed to keep my pride in check while I was away. It seems then, you shall have no troubles here. Shall we dine among them?"

Artoria had tried for composure after losing everything she had over the reed cats, and she'd lost. Gilgamesh had seen her at what was likely her least Queenly behavior so far. Strangely, that loss did not seem to be a very painful one. No, because it came with its own sort of reward, that happy laughter from Gilgamesh she'd come to admit liking escaped him seeing her like this. She did not find it to be belittling, instead she could see how much he enjoyed observing her reaction here and now. It truly was not unlike how she'd reacted to lions, and it came with the advice that she should brandish her true self, it did not need restraining. "It is not so easy to do. I am very used to not being myself when in front of people," she commented still looking abashed. She'd stated before that she was not trying to be any particular version of herself while speaking to this man, it was still difficult to fall off the proverbial cliff into being the most normal version of herself. Besides, that one in general came with murderer tendencies.

Ah, but that was fine too right. She hadn't properly succeeded in killing him either time she'd attempted it. Given that, he should actually be fine to accept her for all she was. Now what was he doing? They were lowering Was she going to get to hang out with these cats? Apparently so... in fact he was suggesting exactly that claiming her ability to look after his lion pride as reason enough to be able to sit among veritable housecats like these. She was asked if they should dine among them and her index fingers were tapping together anxiously. Bringing her excitement level into check was not something she was having an easy time with right at the moment. "Can we!?" she said giddily. "I enjoyed caring for the lions. I considered that a break from everything else, besides I have such an ability anyway. Caring for animals was one of the first skills I collected as it was technically my occupation before I started training to become king..." she mused. Her childhood in this world hadn't been too different from her first one. Oh and what was this? She hadn't exactly moved away from how close she was standing either... she was having a really good time, and seemed to be adjusting to being in this man's presence.

It could be considered apparent even to a primate that Artoria struggled to regurgitate the truth of her being as it hid beneath the visage of a ruler. Perhaps he was even similar, to whatever extent. She seemed to manage well enough in specific situations though, so clearly her truth had not eluded her over the centuries and all associated tribulations. "That is to be expected, is it not? You are a ruler. A king should never be as one with the common folk. A true and mighty ruler is not an example, but an unreachable beacon sat atop the highest pillar. That is why thrones do not sit upon the same floor those who visit it tread upon." In sharing this philosophy, Gilgamesh inadvertently shared what some may view as his own downfall. Even when aiming to understand his own people, he would not be anything shy of superiority incarnate.

Artoria had no need of that filter at present, though. Despite the frequency by which he passed judgement on the masses, she would be free of all negative scrutiny. After all, what judgement could he even pass? "Fear not. There is only one way I shall gaze upon the brightest star in all the cosmos. It is not with distaste that I do so," he specified. Vimana hovered just above the ground while Artoria allowed the return of her excitement. Since she was so thrilled by the idea of eating amongst those cats, there was no way he'd do anything but enable the activity of choice. Vimana would lower no more, instead dematerializing beneath the pair. However, their feet would not be touching the ground. Gilgamesh had accessed his treasury twice; once to return the golden ark, and once to bring forth their... dinner table, so to speak. Beneath them was lapis lazuli flooring lined in gold. Around them was a group of four golden pillars and low fencing. Indeed, Gilgamesh had spawned an entire gazebo complete with a center dining table made of cedar, spacious enough for the felines to curiously pounce their way inside, and large enough to shade them from the sun with its unnecessarily-high roof. With the setup almost complete, he broke a short silence to address mention of Artoria's beast-taming capacity. "Then I suppose we are much the same. These things will be our entertainment for the afternoon."

A smile came to Artoria's face. Perhaps, one day their differences would make more sense to her... but in a moment like this, she realized they were so very different that it was a wonder they could even speak to each other. "It is to be expected, but I was always rather odd in how I dealt with people anyway..." she said. It wasn't that she was king that kept her from sitting around with normal people. It was simply that she had no concept of self, and thus always felt alien even in a room full of people that kept her apart. Things that interested her, only ever really become obvious in front of those who happened to be there when one of her many faces slipped from its secure position. The qualities of king were viewed both similarly and differently between Artoria and Gilgamesh. "I have never been able to deny your ability to rule, but being that detached comes with its own negatives..." she said with a smirk adding just one little detail to the mix. "I do not have a throne, so I cannot say I understand that particular perspective."

Still there was more. According to Gilgamesh himself he had no intention of passing judgement of any sort upon her. Nor was he the type to look upon her with anything resembling distaste. Artoria managed to look shocked. Every time words about her passed his lips she was almost shocked that they were meant the way he stated them. What was more, she could not say she disliked them at all. It would be nice to not simply put on a different sort of visage for everyone she talked to. It was something usually reserved directly for the rest of the family, and even they received milder versions of her given personalities. "One day, maybe I will get used to that..." she said not even having any real way to respond.

Ah but there was something worth more attention. Their dining arrangements were made by Gilgamesh that much was expected. She did not expect him to be the type to want fresh killed meat and foundling vegetables, though she did such things herself from time to time. There was a claim that they were kindred at least in the way their lives started, how interesting. This would be their entertainment for the afternoon, she was fine with that. The sparkles had never truly left her eyes. There was always something exciting about new animals. "You really do not have any semblance of anything normal. This is outlandish you know?" she mused. That wasn't even negative commentary it was just truth. Still this level of interest in an activity so simple was not something she'd ever scoff at either, it was nice that he managed to be even a tiny bit relatable, she'd keep it as a moment of utmost importance in her memory.

"H'oh? It is to be said then, that you were only born to rule. True kingship is not something so easily cultivated and passed onto the next generation. A spark is required─ one that forms itself in the individual and blossoms into a new breed of flower that will usher in a new way of being." Gilgamesh spoke these words, and he seemed to believe them truly. In the case of applying such a clause to Artoria, he thought it no less fitting than the situation surrounding himself was. She may have been raised to be "King Arthur" in her era, but that alone would mean nothing. Drive, ambition, and a form of charisma that made lesser beings flock to their sovereign were not things one could be raised to possess. Within those things, Gilgamesh found a natural detachment from the people, in addition to being primarily inhuman. Was that such a negative? Well, perhaps it was. There was nothing to do about it, though. "The throne itself is of no consequence. But, taking trial and tribulation unto oneself is also the mark of a king. I will take those negatives into myself, and smother them with my own brilliance. You are no stranger to this either, Artoria Pendragon."

That cedar table possessed only two seats, and Gilgamesh laid claim to one. He sat, summoning a very familiar tablecloth to finish off their dining venue. In the meantime, a reed cat seemed keen on hopping into his lap. Artoria would perhaps get used to his proclamations, she said. Nonsense. So long as he lived, even she could not be allowed preparation for the things he declared. "You may come to expect these things, but you shall never be used to them. This is a certainty," he stated. As for this setup being outlandish, he could see no such thing before them. There were so many greater things he could have produced, but even as the food-related, wish-granting apparatus draped over their table, he saw something... rather plain. "Surely you jest," he said in an arrogant manner befitting his everyday demeanor. "This is but a minimalist effort, respecting your own lack of extravagant preference. If you wish to see outlandish, I will gladly oblige. Of course, you will be seeing enough outlandish things by the time we are done here. I would not see your mind overloaded for so many different reasons in a single day."

Claims made by Gilgamesh never became less outrageous. As far as Artoria was concerned this man was incapable of holding any random thought he had in his own head. Even something as simple as admitting that she did not own a throne and sat at the same level as all her subjects was greeted as some great revolution. In truth, she did this so she could easily attack any and all who would stand before her as if they could stand before her. It was a provocation, not a moment of restraint. She basically sat at the center of the Round Table with a sign on her chest that said 'try me'. "It is strange for me to say, but I am sure that this a happier sentiment than most who approach my table would give about me," she said with the slyest little smirk. Apparently, it was trials and tribulations taken onto oneself which marked a king, not simply a throne, and he thought she knew of these things. "Well, they are not foreign but I would call them the things that keep life fun... such things usually come with the chance to murder something so... I am not the type to complain about how such things end up in my lap," she explained of herself. Strictly speaking, Artoria Pendragon, or rather Hoshimi Eri, saw herself as a killer first and foremost. The fact that people gathered around her seemed to be almost illogical to her as she was and acknowledged herself as the type who would kill before asking questions. She had no idea how any felt safe around her, but if they were content she would not argue the point. Every time this man spoke her actual name her eyes shifted towards him. Did she like the way her name sounded rolling off his tongue, spoken so very casually? Yes. Yes she did.

According to Gilgamesh, she could come to expect his outlandish statements but never truly be prepared for them? She wondered if they would only get worse over time. She imagined he could be quite problematic to the kind of separation she liked to keep between her working face and her private one. That was something she'd have to keep in mind. "If you say things like that... it is like giving me a warning you are planning to be directly contrary to my own nature literally all the time," Artoria stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Of course, she actually had no problems with the way this man spoke to her, only the general ideation that he had absolutely no filter and would say whatever he felt like regardless of the audience. Beyond this he apparently thought her joking. He claimed that this kind of effort was one of minimal thought with her own sensibilities in mind. She looked at him as if he'd said something outrageous. He claimed he could do more, but it would likely fry her brain. What did she imagine in a moment like this. An entire palace sat down for them to eat in? Servants? A circus? Whatever other random thing this man found entertaining? Her entire face turned red as she shook her head firmly from left to right. "You are not allowed to do anything of the sort. You are already outrageous, you will not completely ruin my sensibilities!"

Oh? Those who followed Artoria would have no such thing to say about her─ at least not in such a positive way. They were fools, the lot of them... or perhaps Artoria herself was the fool. Whatever the case, Gilgamesh spoke again, seemingly musing aloud. "Bloodshed is an unavoidable truth in this world. Just as truthful, is the notion that weakness will follow strength." He rambled on, a hand finding itself under the chin of that cat in his lap. He'd pet the creature there, bringing attention to it while using it as a reference to his point. "These cats. If young and incapable of facing the world at large, do they not flock to the strongest of their kind? Does the strongest among them not relish in its own might? Take the lion, so smug in its ownership of a pride. It thrives on every opportunity to prove its capabilities, but... those are mere beasts. To draw comparisons to mankind, there are infinite similarities, and few key differences," he muttered. What was the point of it all? Well, perhaps that would be clear.

He had no intention of being contrary to Artoria's nature. In truth, his intentions were the exact opposite. They clearly didn't see things the same way, but his own perspective would be shared simply because it was true. "I have given no such warning, nor will I. Why would I act against your perfection? It is I who shall act as the reminder that, beneath the guise of a knight you wear as preference, and beneath the warrior your uphold yourself as... under all of your masks, there is a woman. You know nothing of her, but I will know her intimately. As a result, you too shall come to understand the person she is," he declared. Now, Artoria apparently thought a display with less reservations was outrageous. How even this counted as such, was beyond the king. What sort of queen could she call herself if she did not take in the spoils every now and again? No matter. That, too, would be something he took unto himself on her behalf. "Hmph," he offered with a grin. "You've no need to worry. It is not your sensibilities I intend to ruin. This dinner is only a celebration, even preemptively in honor of this world's greatest union. I have neither reason nor intention to do anything but meet with you, the woman hiding in the shell of a knight-queen. You will show yourself before the day's end, no?"

According to Gilgamesh it was normal for the weak to follow those who showed strength. Artoria could agree, but people were always a bit more fickle than their animal kingdom counter-parts. Artoria herself, had no problem with the words spoken by this man, she understood them, even so... that did not make them something the masses would accept. While he, used a cat in his hands to make his point, she played with another sparing him only a glance or two with a cheeky smirk interspersed. "What a strangely clear metaphor. I have been receiving many of those today~" Artoria mentioned with only a smile to offer the man. "Even given what you say though, it is not abnormal for most people to not appreciate the fact that I am only a killer playing king. I do not mind this," she said knowing that she never intended to be 'king' in the truest sense for longer than it was necessary. Would she, keep ranks... hold the line and be facilitator in all ways that made sense? Sure, but she figured there were people better suited to rule than herself. After all, she was in human at the base of everything there was no reason to pretend she was ever anything else.

Whatever the case, he claimed that he would not go against her nature. He was simply aiming to act as a reminder that aside from being a Knight and Warrior he saw her as a woman. He according to his own words aimed to know that woman intimately, so much that Artoria herself would come to know that being as well. "Oh? You say those words as if that person exists, even knowing she does not, you would aim to draw her forward from the shadows she barely clings to. That is strange you know?" she said but that was not all. "Still, I cannot pretend in a moment like this... if that person is the one you wish to know... I would not keep you from her, even though I do not understand such an existence myself," she said absently. Truly, Artoria, and Hoshimi Eri as she was more commonly known, had no idea about that normal girl below the surface of the faces she wore and the way she presented herself to the world. But if any were worthy of her, it was the man currently in her presence, and she truly would not stand in his way as he reached into her depths to find such a person. According to the man himself it wasn't her sensibilities he intended to ruin. This brought her eyes to him, in quick succession. Why did he say such a thing? Why did he think it was alright? Why did she sort of like that statement from him? Life as a girl not truly used to such attention was strange. "You are placing a lot of faith in me... I could just as easily as showing myself, decide to murder anything and everything before me. In actuality that would be much easier than figuring out this, woman you speak of~" she teased ever so gently. Still, she'd shown herself before him. She'd come to him directly. She wished to see what it was that was willing to offer... to know what it was the King wished to give his Queen. And as such she could easily fall into any and all of this man's antics that she did not mind being the victim of. "I am feeling generous today though, perhaps the extra work shall be worth it. We shall see~" Was that flirting? Artoria was never truly sure what counted as such... especially not while she spoke with this particular man.

Many would not necessarily appreciate the idea of a killer playing ruler, but Gilgamesh believed that hardly mattered. She did not kill those who served faithfully. What did it matter if she murdered before taking charge of a country in this world? It didn't. "Should judge not also be executioner? One should follow a killer before a coward. It matters not whether you took life before picking up that sword, or after donning the crown. What matters is when you kill. Tell me, lover of animals, what is the difference between a king and his horse? It is nothing so childish as one having two legs and the other having four, or one being man and the other a beast. If form, ability and power are all the same, why does one become the king that controls battle, and the other becomes the horse and carries the king?"

They sat, they talked, they both near-mindlessly toyed with the cats nearby. There was a strange lack of eating happening at this dinner table, but Gilgamesh would soon speak to the enchanted cloth. "Tarru stew," he said casually, after which the tablecloth produced a bowl of fowl, onion, leek, garlic and so-on. Artoria was rather insistent upon the idea that no proper woman existed within her. She'd never been so wrong. There was something he could see, appearing in fleeting moments such as one shown mere minutes ago. It reared its head just slightly in moments of fluster, and in interactions with those sisters of hers. There was even a semblance of that person in the midst of combat. "Is it so strange? Stranger yet is how you do not acknowledge her existence. No matter. She will appear in time; be sure you meet her for yourself when she does," he said almost cryptically. This was no matter of clairvoyance, but another bout of absolute certainty exemplified by Gilgamesh. Whatever the case, the hypothetical woman they spoke of could only exist in truth, as determined by a previous meeting of theirs. "I would advise that you watch and learn as well. She may yet be your superior in terms of handling a sword," he concluded with cheek.

A series of philosophical questions came from Gilgamesh. Should judge not be executioner? Yes. She agreed with that to a high extent. She would not put off on others what she should take onto herself. Especially not when she understood her baser nature as it was. According to the man beside her, it did not matter if she was a killer before or after becoming ruler it only mattered when she killed. Apparently what he wished to know from her was the difference between a King and their horse? "Hm, that is an interesting question... I need to think it over," she mused. When was the last time she was asked a question like that? Aside from that strange philosophical conversation they'd had during the 2nd Holy Grail War, it was probably... Merlin who last asked her a question of that caliber. She'd have to think it over a bit.

In the meantime, he had decided what it was he wanted to eat. At the appearance of his bowl Artoria peeked over at it. Hm, she liked the way that smelled. Very nice, she'd have that, along with a couple of other things. "Tarru stew, rice, pickled vegetables and a medium rare steak," There was always a list with this one but she was prone to eating massive quantities of food all the time regardless of everything else. But with the addition of rice and vegetables, there was no nagging sensation in the back of her mind that she would be chastised for eating poorly. Apparently he did not find it strange to be looking for an existence that Hoshimi Eri was sure did not exist. He claimed that she was there and that Artoria should meet her as well. "It is not so strange. That is not a face of my creation so it does not exist to me. The idea of such a being is strange to me and it always has been..." she mentioned as she mixed rice and vegetables, willing to save stew for a second course. What was this, a cheeky claim that such a person could potentially be better at handling a sword. She processed those words and her face reddened slightly. Strangely, enough the first thing to escape her mouth would be a factual statement. "No one is my superior at handling any weapon. There is only the time required for mastery," she stated. Was that flirty? Likely not... maybe a little she was never truly certain, because it wasn't as if she was trying to flirt at all. Regardless, a bowl of vegetables would be consumed with haste. Within seconds the bowl of stew was following and in less than a few moments she was cutting into a steak with maximum efficiency. Strangely, perfect table manners still existed for this lass, she was simply always hungry and devoured food as such.

Page 112 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast