Page 19 of 178 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

Onto business in Nippur with that bastard Rim-Sin. Though an exchange with Nippur was necessary now, Gilgamesh always found that one to be reaching for much more than his paltry offers were worse. He would not let some fool by the victor in an exchange. The current trade offer, much to the king's surprise, was somehow worse than all others. He wanted cattle and barley for a few mere birds? It was not even fine hens he sought─ only a few and some roosters to fertilize eggs not being eaten. A simple plan to increase Uruk's stock would go to waste if he started shilling out cattle and the barley they used for nearly everything. "HE WANTS WHAT?!" the king retorted in utter outrage. Who the absolute hell did that cur think he was? As Gilgamesh's fist struck the arm of his own throne, he was due for quite the rant. "I'll sooner send executioner to his place of rest for him and that idiot woman who attends his murky cullions! That enfeebled child of theirs could make a better offer! I will send him two goats, and if he refuses, I will journey to his homestead myself! Rgh!"

Had he been properly human, the king may have suffered from the rise in his blood pressure. Oh well; recovery came quickly enough. If need be, he would just add displacing Rim-Sin to his long, long list of things to do. Alas, something else was in the process of pushing itself forward. Two knights, or rather Holy Knights, had been making their way through his city. Into the throne room they came, while Gilgamesh calmed himself and viewed another tablet from the virtual mountain of a stack. He needn't look upon these two, as he knew of the next arrivals. "Finally here. Surely the Saber did not come to receive my offer again. What is it?"

The business of Nippur would go about as well as Siduri expected. Of course, that being said, Siduri knew he wouldn't like the offer made at all. The king of Nippur was being a bit too short-sighted. And what would that get him? Well for starters, a whole string of insults, which made Siduri have to choke back laughter behind that veil of hers. Murky cullions... she'd have to bring that one up over drinks with Medusa later. Ah, two goats instead of the wanted cattle and barley. That was a bit more fair considering what it was that Gilgamesh actually wanted from the king of Nippur. "As you wish. I'll make arrangements and be sure to include that..." she paused. Was it a threat? Well yes, but how to make it sound like it wasn't that. "Provision in the notice," she said. Yes. Always the semi-professional, she'd been quick to pick up on how to interpret Gilgamesh's whims and words.

Speaking of the king's whims, the arrival of Saber and Lancer from that Holy Grail war. And what had changed about the king's greeting since his earlier bout with Ishtar? Well... he was markedly less demanding. A bit more passive in his approach now, good good. That would do, actually it was an enjoyable large change considering. He made a passing comment but it was one that could be taken lightly and without fuss, even by Artoria's own standards. Though she still couldn't stop that initial twitch of her sword arm. But she was on the job, and behaving, per Jeanne's request and it wasn't one she could ignore. Wiggling eye brows from Jeanne would be caused by Artoria's passivity. "No. Ask your question... he is very busy," Artoria said while closing her eyes. "Oh, right. No time. Since someone decided to listen to an hour long tale of his journey," she said in a slightly meddlesome way. Artoria's eyes opened and shifted to her younger sister for just a moment, and all she would do in response was a gentle narrowing of those eyes. Not quite a threat but very much not at all denouncing the thing she did. After all, Artoria wasn't a liar. "Anyway, I was told by the creepy weird voice that I needed to seek the King of Heroes, but I have no idea who that is and it wouldn't tell me. I need to get set up, so if you could point us in the right direction, I'd be grateful. " Jeanne was as calm as she ever was giving her point concisely so they could get out of a busy man's way.

There was a delay following his address of the two visitors. Lucky them, having the freedom to converse instead of getting down to business. In the time it took, Gilgamesh sighed and lowered the tablet in his hand. Siduri could take it for the moment, he thought, but he never handed it off. Instead, all the king did was peer over the tablet with that ever-present glare. Jeanne D'Arc, de facto victor of the Second Holy Grail War, spoke of some... creepy weird voice. He hadn't a clue what she was going on about, but he was more familiar with the title "King of Heroes" than anyone. "Hmph," he muttered, cheek leaned against his fist. "There is no direction to point you in. The King of Heroes sits before you," he stated. There was no drive for some grand declaration in the king this day; there was no point to any of it. So, after setting his eyes on Jeanne, he offered only a few more words. "Now, what is it you need of the King of Heroes? What must you... set up? Speak."

Strangely, Gilgamesh was being approached with a purpose he'd never had to deal with before. Whatever voice Jeanne brought attention to was not one he knew, nor one he likely would know for quite some time. Her case was strange, though. When he looked at her now, he looked through to the soul and all it was comprised of. He saw her identity as Ruler, he saw her birthname from another reality, he saw... everything. Whatever this voice was, perhaps it was the reason her soul had taken on a quality more akin to his own.

Soon enough, Artoria's eyes widened for just a moment before they narrowed to absolute slits. Why? Because they'd asked Merlin about this and he'd mentioned they could come here and find what they were looking for. What a grand show that man had made of saying that King Gilgamesh would know of the person they sought. "I am going to flay him..." that was all she said to her sister. "Yes, yes, kill your mage later..." Jeanne followed up. Now the young lass was tapping her two fingers together. This situation was oddly similar to another one, but somehow that wasn't comforting. "Well... I was told the King of Heroes would do land owner things. You know for anyone who came up here but didn't pull an entire country up out of the ground. I have Holy Knights but I don't have a place to put them yet. Would you be willing to help with that?" she mentioned having the absolute grace to beyond embarrassed. At the same time Artoria seemed to have no care in the world aside from that little hint of murder on her mind. As whatever was decided, Jeanne was chiding her sister for her behavior now that they were confronted with dealing with someone else she'd physically assaulted, again.

"This is apartment hunting all over again. Every time we need to talk to someone about something important, you've inexplicably maimed them in some way! Would it kill you to show some restraint?!" she mentioned while they waited. "You have to let that go Emi. That was years ago," she said about apartment hunting. "Besides, that last guy gave us the best apartment at the cheapest price..." she said as if this was a perfectly reasonable thing. "Yes, because you put a gun to his head a day and a half before we went!" Outrage, the Queen of Saints was outraged. "He randomly decided to accost me on the street. I remember you being relieved I did not cut his hands off. No need to be upset now," she whispered. No need to take up too much of King Gilgamesh's time. At the same time, Siduri heard these girl's conversations and was once again trying her best not to laugh. What kind of life did Artoria Pendragon live before that she would have cut of the hands of an overly aggressive man.

It seemed the new Ruler's desire was to acquire land for her group of Holy Knights. Another scoff escaped the king. Chaldea was a massive location with much unused territory at present. Still, to deal with this was to take a step out of his current necessary routine. Did that mean he would reject her? Not at all, interestingly enough. "Siduri," he said, holding his current tablet out in the woman's direction. For matters of importance such as this, he would offer his attention. After all, Jeanne at least possessed the wherewithal to approach him before laying claim to uncharted lands, or worse yet, adding an entire country nearby to confuse the masses and leave him with more tablets to review. The number of repeat concerns he had about that Egypt place were ridiculous! "A mysterious voice instructs you to visit me, and so you ascend otherwise unprepared and believing you will get land? Hmph," he said.

Of course, he had no reason to refuse. Holy Knights in Chaldea would result in a metric ton of positives, and another thing he could see about the one called Jeanne was her earnestness. He didn't even need eyes of any special caliber to see that; he'd witnessed it weeks ago during the Holy Grail War. "There is land aplenty for you and your knights, Maid of Orleans. If it is unclaimed, you are entitled to whatever acres do not interfere with existing nations or villages. But, you have nothing. I will arrange accommodations, but it will not be without cost. Assuming these knights of yours are capable enough, you shall assign a portion of them to guard and police the greater Chaldea. Many huntsmen and farmers have taken up service, and would be better suited to their trades with this growing population. When your people have settled, we will convene to organize trade that will benefit Uruk while you and these knights get your bearings, unless you have something suitable to offer now. Whatever allegiances are owed to you will also be owed to the whole of Chaldea. If this is something you find inadmissible, speak now."

Siduri's name was called once more and she found herself reaching out to take the tablet the King had previously been holding. Ah, he was going to give this pair his undivided attention. How nice. Siduri could see several good qualities from her king in most recent days. Though she'd only met him recently, she felt like he was living up to her expectations. How odd. There were words shared with Jeanne that made her look to the man strangely. "Yes, well... the weird voice aside. I intended to run the Holy Knights, as an organization, not be queen of a country. I wasn't about to start a crusade over land, that'd just be selfish," she said. Artoria smirked just a gentle upturn of her lips at the corner. This conversation was so very much like her sister, she could hardly keep back her amusement.

Ah, but Gilgamesh was being, fair. He didn't outright refuse the request, no he took it. His counter to the offer was simply that she put some knights out when it was organized in order to help police the greater area of Chaldea. What else did he require, their fealty eventually though not right now. He even offered to help them establish a trade that would help them between themselves and Uruk. Jeanne herself didn't find anything strange about the arrangement but she also wasn't one for court politics. She gave a careful side eye to her sister. "You are the administrative one, are you really telling me you are uncertain?" Artoria asked with nothing but amusement in her voice. Of course, she'd been raised Prince Arthur so court politics though something she hated were something she was well acquainted with. "Look the French Court politics are all kind of boring. I skipped out as soon as I was able for the front lines..." she mumbled once again looking a bit embarrassed. Beyond that point Jeanne was quite sure this man was supposed to be a tyrant, she didn't expect nice, and wanted her sister to confirm sincerity. "Oh? And I am supposed to be the impatient one~" she mused. "As far as intertwined courts are concerned. It is not unlike a deal I would offer anyone who came to sit at my table..." Artoria mentioned. "Well, aside from the one thing I would ask for... but I am just like that anyway..." she murmured with a cheeky smirk on her face. Jeanne took her sister at her word and turned her face back to Gilgamesh. "I have no problem with what you offer and was going to offer up knights for all our safety regardless. You seem quite busy, are you sure you don't need something more immediate for the distraction? It's only the two of us up here, but... we're more than enough for most tasks," she offered of herself and the one in her immediate employ. Artoria would do as Jeanne liked in such a moment because it would bring her a great amusement as an aside from the fact that it would bring cordial relations between two groups. Siduri found the two holy knights offers rather strange, considering the amount of trouble they'd gone through to get here, to be so nice after arriving when the king hadn't exactly shown them their best side was... odd. The Queen of Saints as she was called seemed to always possess such a capacity, but Artoria Pendragon seemed to be more like a calmed beast than the rabidly powerful monster she'd been that day.

Interesting. To think of ascending to Chaldea for the sake of creating an organization, but having no intentions of ruling a country as the Ruler Class, was not something most assumed they would see in this realm. He could enable that with ease, so long as conditions were met. After some brief exchange with the Saber, the one he addressed gave her response. Finally. No qualms were to be had with the exchange, and she even went on to ask if there was anything else to be done. Well, that was foolish. There was more to be done than even a full group could take care of, but Gilgamesh would move on without a word of address about that. No, there would be none of that at all─ nothing but the matter of what she'd come to him for. A Divine Gate opened beside the male, producing a large tablet that remained blank until he touched it. Upon being touched and having the tiniest bit of mana applied, a map of Chaldea in its current state appeared on the tablet. A few moments of inspection ensued while the map remained visible to the others present. Soon enough, he pointed out one of the larger islands floating about. "Here. North of this place is a land of lush vegetation and streams of pure water. It is slightly mountainous, but this is the great mountain of Mashu. Any would be privileged to call it home. Should you take it, I will guide you to the Pharaohs to settle matters of accomodation."

Ah, he'd all but skipped over the offer made by Jeanne. Artoria expected this... she was in fact a similar kind of person, though without all the bravado. It wouldn't do well for him to rely on them only after they'd just arrived. It also wouldn't have been uncommon for one to put off such offers to take full advantage of them later, Artoria would have taken this approach herself. Jeanne looked to her sister who just closed her eyes and nodded making the younger one stop the coming argument. A gentle hand was even held out in front of Artoria. Jeanne sighed, why were people like this? Whatever, they could move on, and she'd gripe about it for quite a while after. Now then, the Gate of Babylon opened revealing the tablet the man had within. From this he produced a map, showing Jeanne the place she could have. A mountainous region with water and vegetation. Jeanne's eyes sparkled. She always did enjoy that part of real estate, and such a place reminded her of home. "Eri-nee look..." Artoria's small upturned lips remained. Of course her little sister was excited. She always would be. Jeanne would happily accept this for now. "That's great! Of course I'll take it!" she seemed pleased but apparently they were off to see the pharaohs for accommodations. That should be interesting at least. And they'd take whatever method of transportation he offered.

With the acceptance of offered land, Gilgamesh opened another portal to his treasury. This one was larger by a great deal─ great enough in size to produce a large vehicle. In fact, a vehicle was exactly what emerged from it... if the thing could be called that. Out came a gold and emerald ark, more high-tech than anything found in this world and the next. It seemed somewhat Indian-inspired by design. Its wings spanned the length of the throne room, but he did not seem concerned about the exit doors as the flying contraption floated out, a velvet-lined throne on its back. The king rose, taking his place on the throne atop this contraption... and seeming as if he expected the others to join him. "Siduri. When Medusa returns from her work, tell her she is to take rest until I call for her again," he said, intending to part with his assistant for a time. Once more, he would sit with his face against his fist while awaiting the knight sisters. "The two of you─ on the ark."

Jeanne accepted her land, and Gilgamesh continued to work. This was a very interesting thing to see. Apparently that Rider had been put to work here but was being offered a break as the King left to help along his newest charges. This man was surprisingly responsible. Siduri for her part in this noticed the looks on the faces of the two female knights and smiled. "I'll see that it's done," she mentioned with a hint of mischief behind those eyes. They were two welcome additions and both of them seemed to be responsible themselves. Gilgamesh told them both to get onto the Ark which he summoned again out of a portal. He was seated himself and Jeanne managed to look a bit shocked by the whole thing. "That looks crazy to you too, right?" she asked of her sister. Artoria raised like a fine young gentleman, stood at the side offering her sister a hand up before rather easily getting in place herself. Chivalry was at her core, even while she wasn't in a male body at all. How very strange but not something worth thinking about. "Yeah, just a bit..." she answered in turn. Having put herself on the ark as well, she stood relaxed and ready. She assumed they'd be moving and that it'd be fast, she readied herself and was waiting and willing to catch her sister if need be, not that she thought it would be at all necessary.

Page 19 of 178 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast