Page 31 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

Once they were within the dining hall, Gilgamesh seated himself at the end of the long table. Artoria seemed content to speak, but he did not yet seem ready to listen. Ah, but he heard every word she said. He could not ignore his ideal queen, though there was some complexity in her question. A rape cult, she mentioned. His hand had been in the middle of rising, and suddenly, it took on a new purpose. Crimson eyes shifted to the red-haired knight. "A king will not speak of such matters with audience in Uruk," he said, intending to have the knight sent away. Tristan, however, set his gaze upon Artoria. He would not simply leave her side; he hadn't a clue who this man was. Well, that wasn't true. What he heard of King Gilgamesh, however, did not make him believe the alleged King of Heroes was not the ringleader of this cult. Gilgamesh was not taking no for an answer on this matter, though.

The next movement of his hand was a gesture toward an empty chair. It was in this room that he met with the lesser rulers of Mesopotamia, whenever Gilgamesh himself was famished and not wanting to wait on his meal while dealing with them. He would speak to Artoria properly only when they were alone. Given the topic, he would make no exceptions about this. Divine Gates produced an array of foods to fill the table, ranging from lamb to fish, and everything both around and between. Everything on the table was suited for the gods themselves, including the finest wine this world had to offer. "Sit. Food for the belly and drink for the soul will accompany this topic."

Gilgamesh hadn't immediately answered her, but that was about what she expected. She'd figured out several things about the King of Heroes in the visits she'd made to this place while helping her sister, part of them having to do with the way he considered himself as king. Artoria was content to see those equivalent to her and take their council and advice. Gilgamesh saw no one as equal to him, but few as questionably passable. She noted in a moment like this that he'd not had so much to say about her younger sister the Queen of Saints, so it was specifically those he saw as unproven who were of issue to him. 'This man really annoys me,' that was her most casual thoughts. Her eyes closed for just a moment after Tristan looked at her as she knew he would. She was in charge of him, and he'd take her at her word if she said she was fine. "Tristan give us a few minutes someone will scream if I have need of you..." that was the fairness she'd offered. And obviously when she said someone she meant the person already sitting. In the meantime, a show of faith a monumental one as well, Artoria's armor vanished from her person for the first time in ten days.

An empty seat was gestured to and that empty seat would be taken. The sword Excalibur by her side and a dagger very comfortably situated in her lap. She watched as a spread of food was created from those Gates and considered being curious about how they worked she was offered food but just as sleep had evaded her, her appetite was minimal as well. "My appetite is fleeting at best," she said flickering her gaze to the man directly. She'd already posed her question and she intended to have it answered. She wondered if he would be the type to insist she eat something, he seemed like it.

Word was given for Sir Tristan to take leave, so leave, he would. "As you wish," he said. Naturally, a bow to Artoria was offered, and even one to Gilgamesh prior to the knight's departure. Gilgamesh found himself glaring at the fleeing redhead not with animosity, but with a hint of interest. With that, his gaze shifted toward Artoria once more. It was with great interest that he watched her armor fade away to reveal that signature blue dress she wore beneath. Magnificent. Alas, the way she seated herself and rejected the idea of food gave credence to her earlier question.

With all these luxurious food items laid out before him, Gilgamesh chose to take up a single piece of barley bread. He knew of the appetite-related issue Artoria spoke of all too well. He'd suffered much the same at the beginning of his journey. "You turn down food fit for divinities. I take it this cult you speak of has been appropriately eliminated," he said. Though the woman would not eat, he would not make such a demand. She was free to make her own terrible decisions, but either way, a golden jug in Gilgamesh's hand filled two lapiz lazuli chalices with wine. "You do not drink to sate your appetite," he added. Now then, there was a matter of utmost importance to address. Gilgamesh leaned back in his chair after lowering the jug, taking one chalice into his own hand and sipping slowly. This was an annoyance he saw coming, though not nearly to this extent. Ishtar had seen his interactions with the Queen of Knights, probably believing herself worthy of him still. Jealousy and rage had taken his friend. Would that same jealousy truly aim to defile the future queen of the known world? If so, there was a great deal of context to be taken in... and solemnly would he share it. "O Proud Knight-Queen, tell me. What do you know of my epic poem?"

Tristan was a good knight and a better man than most could be, admittedly Artoria wished he was a little less sad. But his depressed disposition meant there was a looming crimson ghost of company complete with music for the time she could not sleep. Ah, but Gilgamesh was staring not quite all animosity either. Given her words he assumed that the cultist she spoke of were no more, and as far as the group that had invaded her kingdom this was the truth. "All but one were eliminated within seconds, thanks in large part to Sir Tristan. The last I executed within the hour after I determined he would not give more information. It was admittedly a very strange night," Artoria said with almost complete disassociation. Yes, because if she didn't take herself out of the observation, she likely would have had to deal with the fact that she saw a murder scene in what should have been the comfort of her own bedroom. She'd have to deal with the fact that the real reason she couldn't sleep was because she felt unsafe. Yes, best to skip that kind of thought and deal with only the open-ended bits of question.

Two chalices and the question of if she'd drink to do something about the base of her lacking appetite. Artoria gave it some thought, she was giving Gilgamesh in general the same benefit of the doubt that she gave the Pharaohs of Egypt. And it wasn't like she could drink for the sake of happiness in Camelot, as she was the sovereign. "I will take a drink and maybe a snack..." she mentioned reaching for her cup. She stared down at its contents and took the first of the sips and held it in her hand instead of the dagger in her lap. All would be fine she supposed. Whatever the case, she supposed they were taking the long way around, given his question. Had she read his epic? Not at all, but she'd heard the tale in the most interesting way possible. "I am remiss to say I have not read your epic, but the story of it, in a general sense is familiar to me. Aladdin, the lad with the long blue hair outside.... loves his King. And gave me and my sister a great rendition of the tale, including an entire fifteen minute list of amusingly placed facts about a goddess whom you had no interest in. All of which he relayed to me, because I expressed interest in the statue outside. Is there a connection?" Artoria had a queenly disposition and was managing civil conversation in spite of the fact that her question had not yet been given an answer. She'd had a few sips of drink and gained enough appetite to reach for a piece of bread as well.

So, the alleged cult had been dealt with. Good. Artoria made it seem as if they'd managed nothing in their attempts, though of course, he would have been more than surprised if they did get anywhere. "It is no surprise that you received no information. Those mongrels are best sent to Irkalla without question," he commented prior to another sip of wine. As this occurred, he witnessed Artoria beginning to partake as well. Drinking alone would suffice, but no, she even took up a piece of bread.

As for the following of his epic tale, she'd not read a line of it. That was no surprise. Tablets were beginning to circulate, embellished as they were for the sake of poetry, though such a thing had only been occurring somewhat locally. Artoria did hear of the story, however, from a boy named Aladdin. Ah, that blue-haired brat was one Gilgamesh knew well. He was something of a star among his peers, always rambling in the middle of the streets to any who listened... and many liked to listen. Gilgamesh had been thinking for some time that it may be worthwhile to hear a tale from that lad once or twice. Maybe he would do so when time allowed it. That was something for later, though. For now, there were many important and depressing facts missing in Artoria's understanding of his own story. It all began with a sigh. "Hmph. The boy certainly fancies his exciting yarns. There is a connection, more to that statue than anything." While he spoke, Gilgamesh lowered his chalice to the table. He could not bring himself to drink while sharing this information. No, he simply had to blurt it all out, and maybe then erase the recollection from his mind for a time. "Enkidu, my friend, my brother in all but blood, is the face of that statue. Together we shared glory and all that came along the beaten path. He took my side when I slayed Huwawa, the Terror himself. It was then that I became a Hero, when the patron goddess of this very city thought to claim me as her own. Even I could never have imagined the rejection causing that same goddess to call down the Bull of Heaven upon my city. Together, we slayed it as well... and Enkidu became a Hero, only to be cursed by the gods. It is almost an irony. He was born a weapon meant to restrain me. We became friends, and he stood at my side as the ultimate tool. That is, until the day he chained down another creation of the gods and we rejoiced together. Surely it was some jealous fit of Ishtar's in her father's chambers which led to Enkidu being taken from this world."

Oh. There was no judgement about the number of deaths Artoria and her Knight handed out to the ones who broke into her space. "One does not simply break into Camelot. I had to ensure the safety of my people and find out who threatened me, with a form of violence that should never be a weapon. Shamefully, all I received for the conversation was some rather colorful new language used as a reference for me," she mentioned. There was still just a bit of outrage in Artoria. Just a tiny bit, but she'd already separated herself from it for the most part, now she was simply relaying information, in a casual conversation while eating bread and drinking wine. This was fine and strangely she felt more at ease now, than she had for the last ten days in Camelot.

Apparently, Gilgamesh did know of the child she spoke of. He claimed Aladdin liked his exciting tales and Artoria could agree with that notion. "Well, of course he does, he is a child... And in fairness, those are the best parts of stories to have explained with the magic of childishness included," Artoria said. In truth she figured there were large chunks of the tale missing, she'd decided whenever she got up to it that she would eventually ask Gilgamesh the truth of this tale. Of course, it seemed at the time she would not have to... he stopped drinking to relay the parts of the tale that couldn't be interpreted by the mind of a child. The sadness, the loss of a friend... the curse proffered by a goddess to remove a Divine construct from the world because she was offended. The jealousy of the one called Ishtar was apparently dangerous given her whims would be given into by other gods. Artoria's brows came together in almost abject confusion. "I do not have words. That is truly an unjust end to a friendship... my condolences," Artoria said these words and strangely she meant them. At this point it wasn't just a matter of her being polite, it was a matter of knowing and understanding enough about the human condition to know a man grieving when she saw one. Artoria wasn't soulless or unfeeling and though on several occasions she'd admitted that this man annoyed her, she wouldn't wish such a fate on an enemy, she truly didn't wish it on an ally.

"I have heard that name outside of your epic. And while I do not fully understand all of the nuances, it would seem at least the goddess of the underworld shares your distaste." she said of the Goddess Ishtar. Still he spoke of this as if it was connected to her earlier question. Was there some piece of context she did not understand, or was the implication that the Goddess Ishtar had a cult of rapists. The cogs of Artoria's mind were turning and the conclusion she was coming to, was not one of fondness. Having finished a piece of bread she paused that light behind her eyes flickering. Surely, he could not mean what she thought he meant.

To say one did not merely break into Camelot was no different than saying one could not break into strong-walled Uruk. It was a possibility in neither case, yet Ishtar had her ways of being annoying. At least both places were sure to be protected; perhaps those two could agree on the swiftness by which they dealt with bothersome intrusions. They did not agree on whether her chosen form of violence against the assailants should have been utilized, though. "There are times one must weaponize whatever possible. Whether by decapitation or by emasculation, criminals shall be punished," he declared firmly.

The innocence of a child would not be stamped out. The boy, Aladdin, was free to tell his tales by his own methods, but the true story was far displaced from the likes of a young one's ramblings. In truth, that much could be considered only the tragic beginning to a long climb. What stood at the top of a tall mountain was Artoria herself, as well as a space devoid of Ishtar. Ah, Ishtar, the root of all his problems. Hearing that Kur shared his distaste for the entitled love goddess was like hearing the strum of a harp. Regardless, there was more to his tale yet. Gilgamesh received condolences for the loss of his companion, but things only began with that. "When I watched my friend die, as he returned to clay in my arms, I fell to despair. I embarked on a journey to find immortality, fearing the loss of a legacy Enkidu and I built together with my own eventual passing. It was my wish to find a method of reviving Enkidu, bringing him life eternal while taking it for myself as well. Decades later, I found nothing I sought. My only consolation came in the form of an herb in the gods' garden─ one meant to restore youth. Wonderful still, is it not? I certainly thought so, until it was snatched from my clutches by a lowly serpent, never to be seen again. Farther still I went, having given up on everything... and who do I encounter? An assortment of ruffians and the Queen of Knights herself. A beacon of light amongst leagues and leagues of endless darkness, and then... nothing. My return was soon met by none other than Ishtar, still pining for my attention. Jealousy took my friend from me, so what else is to be expected when I have chosen a bride not the goddess grasping at my heel?"

Two places so very far away from each other were both protected, albeit in slightly different ways. Of course, she and Gilgamesh didn't necessarily agree on many things. It was a very clear, that there was almost a generational divide between them, this dinner alone was proof of that. Speaking of dinner, Artoria was at least drinking and found herself finished with that piece of bread rather quickly. Was her appetite returning, or was it simply easier to eat when she felt so relatively safe? "I can understand the stance, and would be the first to mete out a just punishment when it is required. So long as said punishment would not tarnish my honor," she said. Was she safe? Irrespective of the thing which it was, she was rather content, she reached for a rack of lamb and settled it onto her plate. Abandoning for a few moments that hand on her dagger and the other on the cup. A fork and knife would be found in her hands instead came to be in her hands and she would eat. Strangely she still had all the composure of a dignitary, but ate with the speed of a teenage boy who needed to protect his plate, seeming to almost shovel food into her face, neatly and efficiently.

She was having a second by the time he started his tale anew. Oh? This wasn't the end of his sorrows. He lost a friend and there was still yet something to be done by him. His words about the loss of his friend and the despair he felt, that was so very human, how could she do anything but empathize? He worried for his legacy? Every ruler did, Artoria herself was no exception to this... but there was still something rather outlandish about the man's words. He spoke as if his friend could not return from death of his own volition. Oh? Had he died before that was possible, was there a time when that was the case? Artoria had seen a great many things in her own lifetime, but never had she heard an experience like this one. Between bites she found herself studying the King of Heroes face. It truly was a sad life to lead. He even claimed that at the end of his journey after losing everything he found her, while using some rather flowery descriptions to boot. Artoria's eyes widened, she would never actually get used to anyone thinking of her in such a way, and averted her gaze immediately. That was a lost cause, she would not speak on that for a time though. She could involve herself in his life, but she truly didn't see herself as fit to be someone's wife. Nor did she truly think she was qualified to take up the life of a man who wished for a legacy while knowing she was incapable of giving it. Not that she was considering such a thing. A sip of wine and quiet consideration. "I have slain a dragon, fought armies and united the land one trial by combat at a time," she started softly. "And still that tale is something well beyond a single life's sorrows," she said of her understanding. "Your friend, is it truly impossible for his return?" she asked gently. Artoria tended to chose hope over all else, perhaps given the actions of the Goddess Ishtar, there was some caveat to the return of Enkidu. But there were other thoughts in Artoria's mind and that gentle shifting of her eyes, was occurring as thought about the Goddess known as Ishtar. 'Still the jealousy of a woman is dangerous, especially one who is able to manipulate others to act on her behalf,' she thought. The more she thought about it though, the more she realized that the Goddess Ishtar was a sin. Her existence was a violation against women everywhere, because she did not follow the one rule of life presented from one woman to another. From one girl to another.

Was his tale a sorrowful one? Yes, it was. That wasn't all it was, though. Gilgamesh thought back to the day he lost that herb to a common beast. His reaction this day would be much the same as it was then. "Hmph. You may consider it a thing of sadness, but is it not a comedy, my tale?" he inquired. Yes, that sounded right in the king's head. He who possessed everything in the world, who collected all of the world's treasures without concern, was in-turn refused all that he truly desired by the world at large. The King of Heroes discovered that there was indeed a form of sadness that could only be laughed at as a mockery. Ah, and that was just the start. The truly hilarious fact had not yet been shared. That brilliant woman stuffing her face across from him existed in this world during a time of resurrection. Gilgamesh took up his chalice again, downing multiple gulps of wine while looking across the table. First came mention of the queen's apparent appetite. "It is to your liking, yes? Whether arms, food or wine... only the best," he said in a strangely flat manner. This was not a time for the typical showy behavior; he couldn't muster it. Now they were on the topic of Enkidu's return, and the absolute hilarity of the situation as a whole. "Tell me, Queen of Knights, do the people of this era fathom a desperation mighty enough to attempt resurrection by weeping? For days I sat by my friend's side as his body returned to the world. The coldness of that husk can never be forgotten. It was only during that battle for the Holy Grail that I learned one could return themselves from Irkalla's grasp. To think, some decades earlier, and..." He paused, thinking the matter over once more. Perhaps a delayed death of Enkidu would have let the king's brother return of his own volition, sparing him of that entire journey and the leagues of darkness, both literal and figurative, that came with it. But... "No. The gods of this world are vile creatures. Even if my friend could have once returned, they would have made it an impossibility when cursing him."

Gilgamesh had a question to ask of Artoria. He wished to know if she thought his tale a comedy. Artoria looked back up at the king as she reached for her cup. She'd carefully consider how she would respond to that question, and when she had the right answer she spoke. "Unless the word comedy means something vastly different here, I would not say it is such..." she said giving a pause. "I think such a tale is a thing of beauty, sorrow and even irony... but it is not necessarily one which I can connect to comedy," she finished before taking another sip of wine. She then reached for her third rack of lamb. She'd not eaten so much in quite a while, her appetite seemed to be voracious in a moment like this. It wasn't that the Queen of Knights was overly concerned with her figure, nor was she the type of person to overindulge. It was good and she was offered it so she was eating, and it was quite good. Oh he'd noticed that, her eyes shifted from her plate and she finished the bite she'd so recently taken. "This lamb is really good. It is better than the one my brother made for us and even that was great..." she said that memory of one of the last family dinners she'd experience made her eyes widen immediately. "Do not tell him I said that," her brother was younger than herself by just a few minutes, but they were such different people. She could imagine his reaction and it would be the type of manic she showed in relation to other aspects of her personality. Yes, best to let that little comment die, and be taken as the compliment it was intended as.

Ah, but seriousness seemed to return, like the tides at the edge of a beach. There was a question of the return of Enkidu and what Gilgamesh had to say about the potential was not very hopeful. The former divine creation had been cursed to return to the earth and his friend and mourned his death in a manner some would consider extreme. But apparently the gods were vile creatures and his friend could not return even with time. That was a matter of true sadness even for Artoria, but he'd posed a question to her and she had something both hopeful and ominous to say. "The rules of death are quite specific so, that does not happen often. There are legends of magical creatures that can resurrect the dead, heal wounds or be sacrificed to certain purposes but what I have heard of those are not necessarily good ways to return," she answered clearly. "The real sadness of our current world below comes when one refuses to return," she said softly. "There are exceptions though, some are outside the normal cycle and can not return, but for every case that happens, it would only be balanced if the opposite were true," she said. Was that statement comforting? Was it meant to be? Artoria found herself speaking to another and being understanding, but the type of interaction she had with Gilgamesh leading up to now, was also very similar to how she made friends. He didn't seem the type to know or understand friendship in that manner but she could offer him someone he could talk to as a normal person until he figured that out. In truth, she wasn't speaking specifically of this case, she was speaking of what she knew of her own. When Artoria died, she would not be returned to the world, she'd have to make the most of her life, setting up for her twin to follow. To that end, her life, her goals and her honor had purpose...

Page 31 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast