Page 32 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

Beauty? Sorrow? Irony? Yes, indeed. These were the very things Gilgamesh found comedic about the events of his life, and the aftermath of Ishtar's first appearance. He'd once wondered if the world had relegated him to rising to impossible heights, only to be dropped into the abyss and forced to climb his way out. In that irony, there was humor, right? Surely so. "Hmph. Then we disagree once more. It is that irony which makes it a comedy. I am Gilgamesh, the King of Heroes who amassed all the world's treasures, yet this is my fate," he said. There were a few things missing in the context of his words, though. Gilgamesh himself had been the one to gain the gods' ire, so why was it Enkidu they cursed? Had it been him instead, Enkidu would have roamed the world free, unmatched by anyone. Being the only remaining one of the pair, all Gilgamesh could manage was to act on words once spoken by his brother. Enkidu once wished for the king to be one with his people, and here he was, working towards exactly that.

Artoria had a brother, did she? Her list of family members was growing by the meeting. As for the comparison between the lamb she ate now, and what her apparent chef of a brother prepared last, he had little to say regarding a difference. "Perhaps it was this brother of yours who prepared it. My golden capital contains everything past, present and future. I have long since lost track of all that is within, and where most of it came from."

These "rules" of death were a concept not always known to this world. Death was a matter of finality once, unless the gods deemed it necessary to see one's return. Now, people could choose for themselves whether returning was necessary. How laughable it was to wonder if that had been the case when Enkidu perished as well. What if the king's only companion had the ability to return, but made the decision to remain in Kur's domain? No... that would be far too cruel for the likes of Enkidu, the pure soul that he was. Those thoughts aside, Artoria spoke of things he'd previously seen... in the distant future. "A utopia beyond the perceivable time of this world; the fate of King Arthur," he repeated from a memory of that very vision. He'd seen this woman's final moments. Damned be the beauty she spoke of in his own tale; that was a sight to behold. The fall of King Arthur, rather Queen Artoria Pendragon... and the collapse of a thousand dreams unrealized in a moment of parting. That was a true thing of beauty, sorrow, and irony, for she carried with her the hopes and dreams of the world without seeing her own to fruition. "You seek not your own happiness, when you know of your own demise?"

The pair did disagree once more, but apparently it was just semantics. At this point, Artoria was sure it would be less time consuming to figure out what they agreed upon, instead of making a list of things which did not count as common ground. Of course, his explanation of his thoughts on this matter made it all the more clear what he truly meant. He found the state of his life after reaching so high to be ironic. "I am certain there are very few points of agreement between us. We are very different people," she commented seeming to understand just a bit more about the man in a moment like this. "But if you can still laugh when considering your life in such a way... there is hope," she sad ever so carefully. Artoria was certain that anyone who could laugh at their own misfortunes would either eventually get over them or hand themselves over to death with no contest. He did not seem like the type to just accept death so there was at least hope for him.

Artoria's family included four children her elder-half sister, her twin brother and their younger sister. King Gilgamesh had the pleasure of meeting only the youngest. She had the oddest feeling he would not truly get along with her elder sister, though they might come to some sort of mutual understanding and her brother? Well, that one was up in the air, but it didn't really matter long term, he was more personable than she was... while simultaneously being more awkward. And what was this, the food within his city was from all points in time, it was possible that her brother made the lamb she had just finished eating. A smile came to her face so genuine in nature it should have been dazzling. Why? Because of the thought of her brother slaving away in a kitchen for the perfect cut and cook on a single piece of lamb. "I hope he did. I hope he continues to do the things that truly make him happy," Ah. Words like that were ones Artoria always had for her family members, her thoughts about the Queen of Saints were obvious because of how she chose to deal with her and work with her no matter what, but Artoria wanted that sort of thing for all of her siblings. She was happiest in life, when they were happy, and that was simply her nature.

It seemed Gilgamesh knew of her ultimate fate, though he did not mention the name of that place. A sip of wine and Artoria was pleasantly full for the first time in a fortnight and more so than that having a pretty reasonable conversation. The King of Heroes knew of her future and still tried to connect himself to her for reasons she couldn't begin to understand. He even went on to question how she sought no happiness for herself while knowing her death was eminent. "I am not afraid of death, I never have been. I can walk towards that future because it will give me the sort of happiness I would seek otherwise. It is a future I see getting brighter with every step, even if I am not in it," she said. Artoria was remarkably selfless as an individual. Not specifically for the world at large, most of her was devoted first and foremost to her siblings. Seeing them happy gave her a level of happiness she could not achieve for herself. Her own hopes and dreams had been crushed long ago, she barely remembered the kinds of things she would have wanted for herself, but those faces so much like hers with light and smiles. Those were things she lived for, and what she was willing to die over. Every step that took her towards her future was peppered with a decision that kept them in mind. Making the world a better place, carrying their hopes and dreams, until they could bear the weight of them, killing everyone to protect everyone... those were things she took unto herself. Her reason for this was rather simple, the smiles on those faces, so much like her own... to see them in truth was something she should have envied of them because she simply didn't know it herself. Because she could not know it, she'd give it freely at any turn, no matter the cost to herself. Perhaps this was a strange notion? Well, given what he'd said in their previous battle he wouldn't agree with her.

Indeed, there were very few things they could fully agree on, if there was anything at all. Another point they may have disagreed on was the matter of "hope" to be found in his ability to laugh at the situation at hand. Where was there such a thing as hope? In recent times, he'd been developing the ability to see various possible futures. In that, there was no hope─ only confirmation. Hope could be delivered to Artoria, though. When told of the chance that her brother produced that rack of lamb somewhere in the timeline of this world, it seemed she wanted to believe he did. Well, she even said it outright. The phrase dazzling did not properly capture what Gilgamesh beheld in that moment. The very stars could be blinded by such a sight, and a culmination of supernovas would be a mere dying candle in comparison. Watching the shift of Artoria Pendragon's face should have been against several laws of the world, but Gilgamesh would not be one to look away even for a moment. It was as if all these dark topics were completely nonexistent for a time, and that was... fine.

Ah, but Artoria was not one who made the most rational decision for the self. She lived her life for the sake of others? How ridiculous. "You fool," he said with a sigh. Of course she would be like this. After his own experiences, he could not fault her for offering the others around her some form of joy, but the fact that she abstained from seeking or acknowledging her own satisfaction was almost disgusting. Luckily for her, Gilgamesh's decision had long since been made. He would be fixing that little problem she didn't even realize she had. Actually... now that he thought about it, he had an even greater issue with the woman's outlook. Her sense of self was no less poor than that of Enkidu, who reduced himself to a mere tool even in his dying moments. She would take some satisfaction in the high spirits of others by her own design, but then what? When in life would she truly have lived? "There is much more you may yet become, Queen of Knights. But, you needn't worry. I will personally see to it that you understand," he said not as a matter of conjecture, but of fact. The testing of his visions hadn't shown him any wrong results yet, so he was filled with certainty that Artoria Pendragon would one day be laid claim to.

Dark topics forgotten for a small space of time, a smiling Artoria, what a rare set of circumstances. For her part in this, Artoria had even managed to eat and relax somewhat over the course of this meeting. Moreover she was willing to hear out what Gilgamesh had to say, even knowing she wouldn't agree. How strange, that she didn't find his company completely stifling when she spent her spare time in the company of her many knights. She'd beaten them all in combat and in so doing come to understand them. Over the course of this meal, she'd come to understand quite a bit about the King of Heroes and was gently coming to understand that most of the way he spoke was bravado. She found this was likely especially true knowing about the apparent permanent death of his friend.

Ah, but his bravado didn't really have any bounds. This man was so certain he'd have more to do with the future of Artoria's life. He made it sound like she'd allow him more space in her day to day life, enough to influence her in anyway. She could only chuckle about it as a thought. "And another point we disagree on. I do not expect you to understand my behavior. In truth the only people who do are my siblings... that is fine," she said as she finished that cup off and sat it down. Those green eyes of hers flickered over to the King of Heroes and she could not help but wonder how he so certainly asserted himself into the life of another sovereign. The implication of his words wasn't the sort of friendly working relationship she expected in an empire. "I do not worry about my own life, and you should not either. You are so certain you can change the path I walk, so sure I would allow you to assert yourself into my life. You realize this is at least partly the reason I find you annoying do you not?" The question she posed wasn't even aggressive, she was actually curious about what made him content to insert himself into her existence. Artoria Pendragon, had united Albion under herself, she'd beaten many kingdoms into submission to create the future Albion she saw, she didn't see the need to change course knowing what her life was, in truth... Just the prologue of a true adventure. She was going to die and go to Avalon, this was a fact. She was stuck at a bodily age of fifteen and would never progress beyond it. She was barren and thus unfit for anything resembling being queen, even in her own country, much less in his. He should have realized all of this information already but still he sat here claiming to change her outlook.

"A point of disagreement brought about by your inability to see the truth," he corrected. Yes, perhaps her siblings did understand her behavior, but one had to wonder how truly accepting of it they were. The human soul was fragile and reliant on others in so many ways. Surely those whose happiness she sought while sacrificing her own, equally desired her satisfaction in life. Blind as she was to this notion, Gilgamesh refrained from further speaking on the topic. It was a fool's argument to have currently, and it seemed... that was someone else's fated discussion.

Ah, but his own destiny was a topic as well. Few possibilities saw a union with the Queen of Knights, but one of those paths would undoubtedly be taken. He selected with full ambition, knowing for himself that there was no greater treasure he could acquire in this life. How was he so certain he could change her path? That was simply nonsense. The King of Heroes altered nothing, but instead determined the course of events. He was discovering himself to be no mere user of Clairvoyance, but one who saw all that could be, while being capable of selecting what would be. "Should not a king show concern for his queen? I've said it once, I will show you a life of endless bliss. It was not with supposition that I spoke that day; it was with conviction. I have seen all I require. The first child will be without pigmentation, and the second a twin with the bearings of a mage, both the spitting image of their mother. And you, my perfect queen, draped in the purest of white textiles, the finest gold accents, a crown perfectly fitted to your head, and the fur of a unicorn to drape your shoulders. Would any man with the ability not drown the world to witness this vision with his own eyes? If it were not preordained, it would not matter. If I had to tear down the heavens themselves to make it so, I would. Such is the dogmatism of a true king."

Artoria, no... Hoshimi Eri had three siblings and of the three only two would claim to fully understand her motivations. The eldest of their group, Hoshimi Rie, who shared her goal, but not her disposition. And Hoshimi Emi, who understood, but was encouraging her older sister to be a bit more selfish of herself. Imagine a saint telling someone else they were too selfless, that whole thing was laughable. So laughable, in fact another smile crossed her face and she simply shook her head. Irrespective of anything else, he was willing to drop subjects that were not fruitful to him in discussion. Good, he couldn't be reasoned with but he'd at least stop speaking from time to time. That would make any future alliance with him, not quite as annoying as it could be.

Or, maybe not. It would seem the King of Heroes was a bit coy with her earlier understanding and looking into Artoria's build. He was certain of a thing, but it was not the normal type of certainty. It was instead it was the certainty of Clairvoyance in whatever way it manifested in those strange eyes of his. Artoria, honestly scoffed in this moment. He spoke of impossibilities, things that were legitimately impossible. And more over, he made several claims about the situation which made her nod her head in simple understand while she stared fire at this man. "That is the annoyance. Clairvoyant and assured. That damned mage..." she stopped speaking and closed her eyes in the moment. But what was she seeing in her own mind? The annoyance in her life that was Merlin. In fact, this very meeting was occurring right now because that sulky, annoying, clairvoyant mage would not reveal the direction she should point her sword. After almost a fortnight without sleep, the aggravation and lack of comfort had gotten so bad, her walk had ended her, here. At a dinner table, with Gilgamesh. She rather suddenly had the desire to draw her sword and end every single clairvoyant individual who had ever stated random facts of her life to her as if dictation. But what would she say? "There is nothing wrong with chasing dreams. Yours however have many impossibilities weaved in... like the fact that I am permanently fifteen years old, barren and I am going to die. These are absolute facts. You never stopped to consider the idea that those are likely one of either of my sisters' children as we all share a face? Nor the idea that you see my face in things because you simply wish to?" she questioned this before adding in the other thing. "There is also the fact that I still am annoyed by you, and I would see no purpose in marrying someone who annoys me." Artoria gave the most absolute version of the truth she could because there was no reason not to, she could understand him. Speak to him, even help him a bit while he grieved, but there was no option in her future where she could marry him... even if she wasn't barren, she was uninterested.

Ah, but somewhere, there was as silver haired woman with cold blue eyes and a hard expression who, indeed shared Artoria's visage. Her little sister's words in those moments as she saw a vision of them clicked into place the answer to the ultimate question. "You really should do something about that bad habit, little sister. Though, I can not complain since I now understand how you are truly. Do not worry, I can think of at least one reason to connect yourself to someone who annoys you, and even to bear his children!~"

It seemed Artoria had her own opinions about foresight, or rather those who wielded it. She spoke of a mage, but whom? Ah... the "great" wizard, Merlin that he'd seen. That one was but a mongrel who saw only the things Gilgamesh himself had already decided. They were not equivalent. Still, precognition had nothing to do with the king's decision. He would have her, and he would do so only when she accepted him. Either that would occur after he saw the missing chunks of time to complete his path forward, or it would occur by sheer force of will. All those excuses she had to offer meant nothing at all in the face of his resolve. His dreams held impossibilities, did they? Good. That only made the eventual achievement even sweeter. "And who am I to care for impossibilities? If ever the world shall tell me no, then the world itself shall be brought to heel. There is no mistaking what I've seen."

Why could he not have been mistaken? It was a simple matter that would be proved with the opening of a Divine Gate overhead. The product of this one was a large gemstone, an emerald greater in size than any other. The gate's own light refracted, and the emerald cast a green hue upon the entire dining hall. In the face of Artoria, however, Gilgamesh considered it... bland. "The Bahia Emerald. In this world, there is a single place one may find a more precious gem of this variety," he said, raising a hand to point across the table. His forefinger aimed at the queen's face while he viewed her, his own pupils dilating with haste. "There. The one gem my treasury does not contain, and there are two. Quality of that nature does not replicate. How then, do two children possess them, while another shares my own eyes that differ even from the gods themselves? Surely then, they are the seed of my loins. Your sisters would not receive such a thing."

Ah yes, it was a fact that he was a point of annoyance to the woman. That, too, would fade with time. She may not have seen a purpose in marrying him now, but there was obviously one to be seen by her eventually. The greatest thing to overcome was the effect of her version of Caliburn, which was strangely not shared in his own variant. Some trickery had been afoot with that one, but it should be simple enough to best. She would be as she should: free of that immature form. "Heed my words, Queen of Knights. You will one day accept me. Even if I must destroy your fate with my own hands, I will find my way to Avalon at the end of the world that has rejected you, force open the gate, and bash you over your precious head with my adoration until you are mine. This, I swear in the name of Gilgamesh."

Artoria was in for a whirlwind of confusion. Firstly, there was the King of Heroes making the claim, that he cared not for what was impossible nor possible. He'd apparently made a decision regarding this entire situation and he had every plan to see it through. There was a lack of understanding here, and the divide of it would only grow greater. 'A statement like that is wildly presumptuous,' was the Queen of Knights initial thought. But maybe there was hope for that understanding, an aid was coming by way of an example. He pulled a thing from his treasury. Well that wasn't exactly the truth, he pulled a large gemstone from his treasury. It was rather stunning by Artoria's own understanding of such things. She wasn't one for jewels or over-indulgent excess but even she could acknowledge the beauty of things. He claimed it could have only come from one place before pointing a finger towards Artoria's face. She was something missing from Gilgamesh's treasury. Was he really doing something so outrageous as comparing her eyes to the rarest emerald the world obviously knew and claiming her eyes were better? No. That didn't make sense. He didn't actually mean that, did he? Artoria's widened eyes would seem to stretch beyond what should be physically possible. Her normal queenly visage had fallen to pure shock. Making the claim that his own eyes were just as rare and among those he'd seen, he could have children with whom he pleased but claimed Artoria's sisters wouldn't be the ones he was with and thus was justifying his own infatuation with her.

Strange, Artoria was quite relieved that he would not wish to make children with her sisters. Not that she was interested in having children with him herself. Wait. That was not even a line of thought worth entertaining right? What was she supposed to say to notions like this? It didn't matter right? These were words he spoke of his own surety always, though there was so much actual sincerity in his words, she had begun to wonder if he was simply mad. Oh. It was not that there was madness in Gilgamesh's heart, it was absolute faith in making his own decisions come to fruition. She would accept him, it was not an option. If she died and went to Avalon, he would come along? For what? To beat her over the head with his affections until she accepted him. Gilgamesh, King of Heroes and King of Uruk, claimed on his own life that he would destroy her fate and have her accept his adoration?! WHO USED OATHS FOR THIS PURPOSE!? Artoria could not fathom a single reason to make such sentences, to declare them to the world. Her eyes showed abject confusion. Her mind simply could not process the notion. What was she supposed to say to something like that? How was she supposed to respond. She could not even pretend to understand how such words made her feel. "I..." she paused. "I do not have words." That was all the Queen of Knights could muster. So, much confusion was in her mind, how was she supposed to take his words? She could not even properly admonish him in a moment like this because she had no certainty of what she would or would not be agreeing to. How did she deal with this? She needed a weapon, she needed to kill something... whatever she was feeling now, she did not know what to do with it, so it should be aggression. But even that did not feel right. More confusion ensued for the blonde haired lass.

Meanwhile her silver haired counterpart sat on a different throne in a different place watching this take place. "Those are some very strong words King of Heroes. I am personally impressed and I will accept on her behalf. With two of three sisters on your side, her bad opinions are overruled, by her own notions," she said with a small smile on her face. Wedding arrangements in olden times fell on older family members did they not? She was simply following custom to make sure her sister received the happiness she clearly deserved. If Gilgamesh was willing to do so much for her younger sister, and completely admonish the idea of anyone else... well, Morgana Le Fay could do only an equal amount of effort. A declaration was made, and she now understood the work she had to do. "I am at least a bit to blame here. I thought she had only suppressed all of her unnecessary emotions. I did not realize she did not have them in the first place... Even if Artoria Pendragon understood your offer, internally she is incapable of reciprocating. That simply will not do. You do not deserve an empty shell for a wife and queen. A complete person will be necessary for the sake of the world." And with that, the woman known to most as Morgan, stood. Taking steps into a pool of water, from the edge of her throne, doing so would invert her world as she reached the middle all the while she became more blonde, gained armor and a happier visage. Yes, a little lake fairy was making an appearance somewhere in the world. To begin some strange form of work.

Wordlessness. He couldn't be very surprised at all. That was one of the most powerful declarations he'd given, at least making it to the top three. What could even be said by the lovelorn when faced with an unwavering desire? Nothing seemed about right. As the confusion continued shifting around upon Artoria's face, Gilgamesh reached for his chalice once more. The Bahia Emerald receded into the gate from whence it came. Having that thing out next to Artoria sickened him, for something held in such high regard should never be such a poor knockoff of a greater thing. Later, if he had a mind to, he would probably destroy that gemstone for being so pretentious. For now, he simply wanted it out of sight while he finished his wine.

... Wine which hesitated halfway to his mouth, strangely enough. Gilgamesh took pause, tearing his gaze from the queen for just a moment. He felt he was being observed, just for a second. It was a general feeling he had rather often, but the sensation was just slightly different this time. One could assume Ishtar had just taken on a different method, or perhaps the unsettling gazes of the Man-Scorpions still plagued him somehow. Whatever the case, he ignored it as always. That chalice finished its trip toward the king's mouth as he set his gaze upon the woman again. She really had no words; nothing was said or attempted afterwards. "Artoria Pendragon. The only acceptable words are 'I do.' However, it seems now is not the time for you to speak that phrase. One day, you will. I reject all other possibilities with full vigor."

How was Artoria meant to deal with this? She'd been raised to be a good king, she knew when people were being sincere and when their attitudes needed rebuff. Upon their first meeting, she'd taken true and personal offense to his audacity. Now though... she wasn't sure how to feel. Between her own shock and confusion a hand could be found gently rubbing her face eventually pinching the bridge of her nose. In this moment it became obvious the Queen of Knights was like a toddler fighting against her own fatigue. Even as the example gem disappeared from her sight something would become apparently clear, Artoria's mind still wasn't at ease, and she definitely hadn't slept but that single hour in the last fortnight. She was truly at a loss, and did not know what to do. Rebuffing honesty was not on her list of things to do. At the same time, she had no intention of being part of this man life further.

It was almost as if she'd walked into some sort of logical fallacy. Where there was no real way possible for her to deny him, while it was still very possible to want to. Artoria, in spite of herself was still a haughty teenager, she did not appreciate being dictated to by anyone. At the same time, she respected the opinions of others proven noble enough to deserve it. She couldn't reconcile this in her own mind but it seemed Gilgamesh had the answer. She was supposed to say 'I do' to all of that? Absolutely not. Right? She wanted to ask a question but ended up wondering how she'd ended up here in the first place. "All I wanted was to know where I should point my blade. And here I am being absolutely and utterly confused by everything happening... I just," she gave pause. At some point she would probably kill Merlin for this slight against her. He could have just told her the information she sought, but no... he sent her here. To this. For what? Confusion? Annoyance? Lamb chops and wine? Why was it necessary for her to have this conversation instead of one which would have led her directly to the point she wanted to be at. A point where she could murder the thing that caused her discomfort and finally be able to sleep. It would be an honorable murder but murder nonetheless. Her eyes closed again and she finally pulled her hand away from her own face. Was she fatigued? Was that what this actually felt like? Well she wouldn't have been able to fall asleep in her own bed even if she wanted to, no... she would declare war on the goddess and her rape cult and remove it from her sights. And then... and only then could she relax enough to sleep.

Page 32 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast