Page 36 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

Just in time, the queen roused herself from slumber. In waking, she was graced by the sun's light breaking through the space between curtains. From this, Gilgamesh witnessed grace in its purest form, sipping from a cup of wine fit for the gods. He stared unabashedly, never peeling his eyes away for a moment. In the whole of this world and the next, there was no sight more worth witnessing. Shameful though, was the fact that she first inspected the weaponry she apparently could not sleep without. Alas, he would have to make a goal of delivering comfort. No queen should feel required to be armed at all times. Now then, there was a question regarding her loyal knight, as well as one regarding her time spent sleeping. With Excalibur in one hand and a tablecloth draped over the opposite arm, Gilgamesh moved closer to that emerald-eyed spectacle. "Your dog is at work. I permitted his stay, as he would not leave your side until sufficiently convinced. For three nights and two days, you have slept in this bed. Now, you will rest further. Drink, eat, enjoy the greatest luxuries of this world. The filth has been taken from your body, but you shall enjoy glorious Uruk's baths in waking when you are done here," he rambled. With all that said and done, he summoned forth a bed table to the space above Artoria's lap. That table was where he chose to drape the cloth he'd been holding onto. With that, he would explain. "The Table Cloth of the North Wind. Three days since you have eaten, it has been. Sustain yourself now, my magnificent queen. Merely chant your desire, and this rag will produce it at the highest possible quality."

Alright, sips of wine down and now Artoria found herself listening to the words Gilgamesh said. Her mind unclouded by her own rage, heard the tone of his words, he would be considered at least three times as reasonable if he didn't refer to others as animals. Ah, but there was the knowledge that Tristan was still here, allowed to stay and put to work in the meantime. "Thank you for looking after Tristan, but I do not..." there was a pause. She meant to argue several points not the least of which was that she did not wish to continue to sit here and be idle. The idea of that was far too anxiety causing for the Queen of Knights. By this time every day, she was up and training, moving about eating quickly and going on to her regular duties. The idea that she'd already been asleep for two days and three nights meant she'd only let her body be still far too long. Too bad the number of days she'd been sleep was also the number of days she'd been without food. And in her particular case, her body would betray her long before she'd be able to argue. Post mana exhaustion her stomach growled and the hunger of a dragon overtook her small body. She mumbled to her stomach feeling betrayed by its utterances, her face gaining the most slight of pinkened hues. "Treacherous beast..." oh how strangely true that was of her own body.

It was a traitor to her in more ways than one. Managing to let her take the collision of that attack but not moving afterward, hyper-vigilience leading to sleep depravity and anxiety. Her hunger setting in upon her after she finally got a reasonable amount of rest, and then the final straw, not growing into anything resembling a feminine form after twenty years of her original life, but giving her younger sister the best such a body had to offer. Yes. Her body was treacherous indeed, so much so that she barely registered herself as a girl at all. Dressed in what was likely the lightest and most scanty clothes she could ever be dressed in, it was not even a point in her mind that anyone should find her attractive. The King of Heroes stood a table appeared before her upon which he spread a most opulent cloth. He made the claim that it would produce any food she desired at the highest quality. He called it a rag. "I think your appreciation of the value of items is quite skewed given what you say this does," she followed up immediately. But she sat up a bit straighter and thought about what she wanted to eat. The Queen of Knights was unsurprisingly famished but if she could have whatever she wanted there were a few things she wished to eat. "I want a medium rare steak, fried eggs, potatoes, rice, grilled vegetables, lamb chops, pickled vegetables, more rice... and rolls," she said these words and imagine her surprise when they appeared before her eyes. The creation of a well-balanced meal meant her brother could not be upset with her choices and the amount of protein and vegetables could make up for her lack of sustenance.

She did not...? A clause remained incomplete due to Artoria suffering the betrayal of her own body. It was probably just some nonsense about how she had no desire to stay in this room. She'd managed to keep him from having her restrained here against her will some days ago, but there was no budging on Gilgamesh's side of this matter. Luckily, argument was avoided this time. From the sound of things, she would soon be dining. First though, she commented on his reference to the cloth as a rag. "H'oh? It is but a thing, of which I have many. Spare me your notions of value. What I consider truly valuable is of a very different quality to that scrap."

And so, the "order" was placed. She spoke numerous food items into existence via the cloth, very few of them being properly linked to one another. Well... luxuries tended to do such a thing to those who did not enjoy them regularly. Something was to be said about that sheer quantity of starch soon to be entering her mouth, but Gilgamesh was far too busy. What was he so occupied with? Well, he was continuing to watch. That thing of value he spoke of was sitting right in front of him, an impossible treasure that required utmost effort of him to collect. His efforts would be well-spent, though. One day, King Gilgamesh would know the ultimate success, possess a treasure too magnificent to adorn one's mantle or fill one's coffers. Long before that, however... "Fuhaha!" He laughed, thinking again how ridiculous this spread of food was. Was it simply a matter of Artoria being starved both times she dined in front of him? No, that wasn't the case at all, was it? "You shy from nothing, no? This life will suit you well... one day."

There was such a difference between them, but it wasn't that different was it? Of the things she had tangible evidence of him valuing she would say he had a better idea of value than his wording implied. That friend of his was important to him, more valuable than most things he'd come across. And here and now, he made the claim that something he had many of, simply didn't hit his value meter. 'Bravado aside he is not merely indulgent in this case, I cannot fault him...' she thought. Aloud she aimed for the general politeness she had when speaking to most people. "I do not find fault with the logic." Artoria found it endearing, maybe.

Ah, but her spread of food appeared before her, bringing a sparkle to her eyes. Artoria herself was not too picky about her food choices in most cases. But she had quite the appetite. She could easily down what most would consider a gluttonous amount of food, but never have her body reflect the indulgence. She normally subsisted just on what she needed, but now that her stomach was empty it needed filling. Such logic had her looking at the spread before her and picking up a bowl of rice and pair of chopsticks, egg, and vegetables only to begin eating them with the same ferocity she'd shown herself to have the day prior. What would this spread of food cause in the King of Heroes, apparently laughter. She shied away from nothing? "I need to eat, if the food is good there is no reason to avoid consumption," Artoria mentioned. The Queen of Knights had impeccable table manners but just the same she was demolishing enough food for an entire family by herself. "Besides to shy would require a form of shame I do not naturally possess," she said carefully. "I do not know this lifestyle you speak of, but I feel like I should decline, respectfully..." she mentioned. In a matter of moments, the eggs were gone, so was the first bowl of rice and serving of vegetables. She'd put down that bowl and pulled towards herself a perfectly cooked medium rare steak and began to eat that instead. She seemed to have a great affinity for meat of this quality enjoying each and every bite along with the potatoes she'd so recently wished for. A gentle pause and sips of wine occurred as well...

Of course she found no fault. One could never care about things that were common, seen and utilized daily. Only the exceptional could be truly valued. Monetization and usefulness aside, nothing could stand above that which there was no comparison for. Artoria herself was a shining beacon of example for this notion, despite her obvious belief to the contrary. Regardless, he was content to watch the woman consume ridiculous quantities of food right in front of him. How she managed to shovel so much into her mouth so quickly was a mystery. Somehow, it was an endearing thing to watch. Such grace should have been impossible to maintain while consuming as the wild beasts would, yet she managed flawlessly. How absolutely adorable, he thought.

Artoria came with sound reasoning. While indulging so brazenly, she spoke of food being a thing to consume by default, no differently than Gilgamesh himself would speak of utilizing a mass of treasures. Even so, she felt it worthwhile to decline whatever lifestyle he spoke of? That was so very... her. Oh well. She could decline all she liked, but that would not stop him from providing exactly that life. As a king would always be a king, a queen would always be a queen. He would show her the life one with her title was meant to lead, even if he had to force it into the core of her being directly. "It is no surprise that you would decline. No matter. One day, I will show you enough of what a gem such as yourself deserves. Then, and only then, you will know and understand that the life you lead presently is truly humdrum one."

Artoria continued to eat, as if unhindered by the idea of her consumption. That steak and the accompanying potatoes were finished within moments as she shifted her bowls around in front of her. It would seem the King of Heroes was content enough to watch her eat, which she found exceedingly strange. "You would really sit and watch me eat without eating yourself? Do you know how strange that is?" she asked of the man. It was not that she was inclined more or less than normal to take meals in his presence, the Queen of Knights was simply not the type to enjoy being watched unnecessarily. Still her body would not allow her to stop satisfying the gnawing hunger she felt. After finishing two more courses, she was back to vegetables, lamb chops and another bowl of rice. She'd continue on her course, devouring food in a way most would have called gluttonous, but she had no desire to hold off on her own need to eat. The bites were delicious and as far as breakfast was concerned this had to be one of the best ones she'd ever consumed.

While she took bites, apparently the King of Heroes was unsurprised by her lack of acceptance of his proposed offer. He claimed she would eventually understand the way he saw her, and accept the treatment he offered. She could not see that. There was nothing in her life she'd call average or even humdrum. She did the things she liked, and enjoyed her day to day existence. She wasn't an idle individual, she needed to move, to kill, to exercise... as it were. "Sedentary indulgence, dulls both blade and senses... it is only natural to reject that which would have a negative impact..." she said calmly between what had been numerous bites. Of course, she did understand at least a little fun, when her siblings roped her into it as an activity, Artoria managed to know fun and accept it in a true sort of way. Soon after her entire meal was finished and she found herself desiring just a bit more, since she could have what she wished, she'd take her favorites for her post meal cleansing. "Strawberry shortcake, fruit salad and butterscotch pudding..." she said as several desserts appeared in front of her. Her eyes sparkled with untold glee. Knowing she was not causing anyone distress with her food choices, she very easily made strange food based demands. She'd have these while occasionally shifting her gaze to the man at her side. "I am surprised you managed to pry it from my hand, not that I dislike this dagger at all... Have you been holding Excalibur while I slept?" she asked finding it to be a strange thing for it not to have been left in her hands. Of course she also liked the dagger she now had in her lap. Artoria found herself wondering what it was that King Gilgamesh fully intended while she had no real interest in his person. Surely he didn't see her as some sort of tamable girl, she was not that at all.

Indeed, Gilgamesh fully intended to watch the woman while she ate. It was something he found more than worthwhile to behold, so what could he do but... well, behold as he saw fit? "Is it so unorthodox? Nonsense. When the stars above shine, does man not gaze upon them? If one were to not admire your radiance, the rivers would run dry, and famine would consume the land. What I do now, I do because mankind is too foolish or unworthy to do the very same. I will appraise that which commands appraisal. You may let your brilliance shine, knowing I will always be there to accept what others cannot."

True enough, Gilgamesh would watch and watch, until time itself came to an end. His decision had been made, and he would stick to it firmly. The same could be said of his philosophy regarding indulgence, which Artoria herself opposed for reasons he could hardly fathom. Once more, they simply could not agree. "You fool. It is not indulgence that dulls the blade and senses, but ignorance. Overindulgence can be a fatal flaw, yes; none has learned that lesson more than myself. However, refusal to indulge is no less disastrous. Enjoy the fruits of life, lest they be lost upon you forever," he stated. At the very least, this woman took no issue with the consumption of fine delicacies... if her choices could be called such. When asked about his possession of Excalibur during her sleep, he brandished the blade and inspected it briefly. "It was not without difficulty that I wrested this from you, but a queen shall not sleep with the weight of a world on her chest. A ceremonial blade, however... I suppose I can allow."

Artoria started on dessert at an admittedly slower pace than that of real food. It was a strange moment to note but apparently even the Queen of Knights, knew that properly savoring sweets was a life necessity. Doing such made her miss her brother's cooking even more so than well-cooked meats and balanced dishes could. It was still true she wasn't very picky, even so... she did have leanings of a specific way or another. It was simply that most times she bothered little with anything other than whatever was cooked because she would not be doing the cooking. One could not offer true criticism while not contributing, she believed this thoroughly. The words of Gilgamesh made her eyes flicker in his direction ever so often. The words he spoke made it seem like he was comparing the sight of her devouring food first thing in the morning, similar to the wonder of gazing at the stars at night. Those two things, could not be objectively compared of this she was certain. Why would he bother saying such nonsense to her at all, he did not think she believed him, did he? Artoria could not help but wonder what he gained from saying such things to her, but somehow found her cake tasting just a bit sweeter than she thought it had to be a few seconds before. "You open your mouth occasionally and flowers fall out. I am sure I understand the words in their entirety but do not understand at all why you speak them to me..." she said as she finished the cake and moved on to a bowl of fruit. And saving the best for last that delicious looking bowl of pudding would be the best end of a meal yet.

Ah, but what was this? The King of Heroes, Gilgamesh decided to clarify himself to her. Claiming that it was negative to overindulge but also negative to abstain in totality. Of all things she expected in life she did not ever think such a man would sit at her bedside while she ate what was probably the most ridiculous breakfast any one should eat, while dictating to her the necessity of moderation. "I must say I am surprised. Of all the people I have encountered you are among the last I would have thought to sing to me of moderation, King of Heroes," she said thoughtfully. "I do not dislike this, even if it is my natural inclination to disagree..." she mentioned as she finished off a bowl of fruit. And finally all that was in front of her was a bowl of butterscotch pudding. When was the last time she had pudding? Good pudding?! Her eyes were sparkling as she reached for it and the spoon. All the while she heard the words spoken by the King of Heroes, which denoted that it had taken quite a bit of effort to take Excalibur from her in the first place. He claimed that he wouldn't allow the Queen to sleep with the weight of the world on her chest and Artoria found his mention of this strange. "It is not as if I normally share my bed with Excalibur. Even I would find that difficult..." she said with a small smile coming to her face. This pudding was to die for in the most absolute sense of the word. If this, some meat and rice were the only things she could eat, she'd never be dissatisfied. "Sleeping with a weapon even just a small one is comforting. I always have..." she said and she knew it to be the truth of every individual in her family, even her brother though she doubted he'd admit to such a thing. "And in that case it is not about protecting the world or bearing its burdens. It is about protecting myself." Self-reliance, protectiveness, and the slightest showing of insecurity were always dictated by such a behavior. But it was not as if Artoria feared anything or even many things. Artoria was simply practical in nature and thought like an assassin, she expected to be attacked when she was considered most vulnerable, this included when she was asleep, unguarded or indisposed.

The comprehension of Artoria did not extend to his words about her; that much had been obvious for quite some time. He would not be stopped by something so trivial. She would be made to understand in time, even if said understanding came from her being overwhelmed by all he had to offer. "The truth of it all is simple, no? I speak to you as the poet's muse speaks to him. The greater the muse, the greater the poetry he writes. You claim my words are like flowers, but it is inspiration alone that produces them. You, Queen of Knights, are the culprit here."

He spoke of moderation, yes. Gilgamesh lived the truest form of hedonistic life for decades, but in more recent years, mental age had overtaken him. Perhaps the fault lay with Enkidu's death, or even with the difficulty of his long journey. Whatever there was to blame, he understood more now how important a bit of restraint was. Artoria's surprise was something worth laughing at, as such. "It is preposterous, is it not? It was once King Gilgamesh who took all leisure unto himself, beyond even the claiming of this world's treasures. He took even the bride from her bridegroom, until the admonishment of the Chains of Heaven." Gilgamesh's explanation came almost in a way that implied weakness in recent development. Alas, he was still holding onto the Holy Sword while discussing Artoria's... very queer sleeping habit. He'd make a point of showing her that such protection was unnecessary as well, even going on to address it right away. "What purpose do your knights and servants serve if you have no faith in their ability to keep threats at bay? Tell me, do you collect warriors as I collect possessions? It should not be a queen's place to carry her own last line of defense even when at rest."

A simple truth according to Gilgamesh, she was his muse, so his flowery speech directed at her was her fault. Artoria ate a bowl of pudding with all the childlike glee one could have while consuming dessert and found his words strange. So much so, that her brows furrowed gently. He saw her in such a light? That was preposterous! She'd just sat down before him eating enough food to set a family aside for a feast. She literally was more comfortable armored and on a battlefield than doing anything else. And she took comfort in weapons and skill more so than any normal 'girl' type activity. To put it simply... there was no reason in her own mind that anyone should be romantically interested in her, and his insistence upon the fact that he was interested was confusing at best and infuriating at worst. "You may be the strangest man I have ever met," she said before going back to her meal.

Beyond this point, the King of Heroes explained that his once hedonistic lifestyle had been altered by his friend admonishing him. That made sense, one of the main uses of friends was their ability to share hard and unknown truths with others. She could imagine him doing all the things his story claimed he did and given that she still couldn't figure out his fascination with her. "Hm, so you are saying you have grown out of your less charitable personality traits?" she summarized with a small smirk. Eventually, her bowl was empty and she held the spoon within her fingers, having that last bite with a shining light in those eyes of hers. Still the King of Heroes thought to point out the strangeness of her sleeping habit. Did she collect Knights as he collected treasures? No. Did she trust them? Yes. Did that mean she was willing to be vulnerable while she slept? No. "Trust them to carry out tasks and keep us safe from things they know and understand. I do not collect them for the sake of having them. As a group there are none more honorable and trustworthy," she said. "In the case of the everyone and everything else in the world though, such trust cannot be extended. You say it is not a queen's place to carry her own last line of defense, but I find that to be a bit idealistic... the world has always been more complex, and not everyone is chivalrous. I do not always think in such terms but my habits have saved and helped me save others..." she explained of herself. When being trained to assassinate people one becomes innately sure of times in which people display the most vulnerability. When uniting warring kingdoms, you become fully aware that not everyone cares fully for the bodily autonomy of others, given these two facts and knowing she has always had the size and look of someone to be taken advantage of, she simply made it an impossibility. She saw no problem with this, and recent events had proven if she held normal lines of thought she would have been traumatized, well more so than she was in actuality.

Page 36 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast