Page 44 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

Death would come through Avenger's hands. He could see the start to the bulging of Saber's eyes, and feel the constriction of her windpipe through his own fingertips. Madness was overtaking her as well; he could always feel that. Fear was so very deeply rooted in this man, he felt all of it, everywhere, from everyone. Yes, yes! She would surely give in. She would surely let herself die to take those vital steps toward a fearless world. She would... slip away, right?

Wrong. Something in those emerald orbs rejected fear rather than giving into it. Something about this one's reaction made no sense at all. Was she not afraid to even combat her fears? By the word climbing through her collapsing trachea and exiting her mouth thereafter, one could surmise that no, she was very much not afraid. How did one battle through fear using conviction? Whatever the source of opposition to Avenger's nature, that spoken word would not do well for his intentions. Saber's third beam of light in this war erupted, and regrettably, it began within Avenger's own body. Everything seemed to slow down as the phases played out.

In one moment, a sudden burst gaped Avenger's torso, leaving Excalibur floating in a large hole littered with specks of black blood. In the next moment, that light emerged and vaporized Avenger's life blood, expanding the hole and causing his grip of Saber's neck to loosen. No longer steeled by a grasp, the full formation of the beam rocketed Avenger away. Naturally, as the beam grew wider along its arc, it consumed more of Avenger. Soon enough, there was no sign of the man at all... bar the glow of Mystic Code floating into the Holy Grail held by Gilgamesh. Still grimacing as always, the King of Heroes opened a single Divine Portal beneath himself while Avenger's essence made its way. Silver ash emerged from that portal, spreading a mist with a peculiar smell in the immediate vicinity. As Spiritrons turned to liquid, part of that essence separated into dark particles that remained around Gilgamesh himself. He kept this up long enough for Avenger's portion of the Grail's content, dispersing it once the Holy Grail accepted all that was needed, and no longer pulled on the... unnecessary extra. Only a small amount remained to fill the grail; how would the Queen of Knights go about acquiring the rest?

So, just as soon as it had started, that moment in time passed and a hole was blown through the chest of Avenger. He'd die here, of this Artoria was certain and she withdrew her weapon easily as his hands slipped away from her throat. She'd gathered a decent enough number of injuries but still she would watch as this one died here and now. She still had nothing but sympathy for him. "Sincerely, I am sorry you were here. I take no joy in such a battle, but still find peace next time," she stated. There was a certain amount of earnestness in Artoria as she managed to fell this man and then she turned around. Her cup couldn't be full quite yet, the instructions had been clear she would need to feed someone else to her cup. That being said deaths were still not necessary. Those she protected simply had to surrender. And she would give them this option. "Break." Her words were calm and both Caster and Archer would be freed of their temporary stay in Avalon's protection.

And with Avalon returned as her sheath the injuries she'd maintained during her recent battle began to close up almost instantly. She walked towards Archer and extended her hand to help her up from the seat she had on the ground. "Are you alright?" she said. Truly a knight, Artoria Pendragon offered a hand to help a lady up from the ground. They should stand and talk and Archer for her part in this looked at this green eyed woman in absolute awe. There was something ever so inviting about the hand she had been offered after the protection she'd been given she took the hand and pulled herself up. "I was terrified but I am fine. I felt well protected in those moments but... I do not understand. Why did you save us, are you truly so fearless?" she asked which made Artoria's brows knit in confusion. She opened her hand in a different way towards Caster, willing to offer him a hand up as well. As far as Artoria was concerned this question was abstract. "I gave my word I would protect you. I was simply following through on that action. Even in war there are rules to be upheld. And I am not fearless by any means, I simply decided long ago that fear was more of a reason for me to act, not less." she stated as if what she'd done was truly nothing more than what she would have always done. Still she looked at both of these individuals. "Though now that you are both safe, I must ask if you intend to stand against me?" her eyes danced between these two individuals. "I will accept your surrender if you would prefer not to battle me directly. Or if you would rather fall in combat I can honor that as well," she stated. Artoria spoke in absolutes this day, there would be nothing between her and her grail, whether these two wanted to bow out gracefully or fall honorably in battle she would allow either outcome. She'd felt their presences right outside of the Grail Castle, but neither had approached her directly. She wondered if both were pacifists or if they had some kind of sinister plan. She'd face them head on if they did but, she'd give them the chance to back away with their dignity in tact.

While within that barrier produced by Saber, Caster's fears melted away. He truly felt as if the madness had no hold on him whatsoever, and had the privilege of watching as Saber proved exactly who she was, and why she was regarded as such a monster. Simply hearing the chant of Excalibur should have been enough. Seeing it should have been enough. With those things together, there was no question in his mind about Saber's identity. Artoria Pendragon, Queen of Camelot, was her identity. All those legends had to be true after all.

Fully recovered from a traumatic experience, there was still one problem. Caster had seen a vision of his own downfall; he'd seen his master standing over his fallen body. He'd seen disappointment in that woman's eyes, and knew his desire to succeed. The choice was clear. Caster could be either a dead disappointment, or a living one; one of the two could become something greater. Artoria extended a hand to him, and he rejected it. The young man lifted himself, thinking there were only two circumstances under which he would accept a woman's hand to rise. Then... there was the ultimate question. Artoria stood under his scrutiny, a queen smaller than a mere boy, but mightier than a monster in one's nightmares. She was well-poised to a point of being indescribable, offering surrender or combat. Caster scoffed. "Falling in combat is the only way to go," he stated as a matter of his own truth─ the truth imparted to him by his mentor's own ideals. Even with that in mind, he bore only a staff, a short sword, and Rune Magic that would not be suited to combat of her caliber. He was always chided against being ignorant enough to take a losing battle. He already disliked fighting women. This one, he could fight and enjoy... but not as he was now. "I want to fight... next time." While speaking, Caster brandished his staff as if it were a thing to dislike. "I'm working my way up to a certain spear from my master. When I've got that, you're on the list of targets. Both of you."

A hand to Archer accepted as the lass was pulled to her feet. A hand to Caster rejected as a boy always would. Still, Artoria Pendragon seemed nothing but amused by this fact. She remembered being a boy of around his age, she also wouldn't have taken a hand up from anyone. In fact, she might have stood up swinging as such she had nothing but a warrior's respect to offer. Archer was given an offer of surrender or falling in combat. "Anyone who can defend two others, and then turn around and make such an offer only confirms what I thought in the first place. I cannot currently best you in combat. And I owe you my life, so I could not in good consciousness stand between you and your prize," she admitted carefully. "I do not know how to surrender though..." she added as an afterthought. "Think the creation of a copy of your mystic code and make it an offering to the grail. That will suffice," Artoria mentioned. She accepted that girl's surrender without a secondary thought. Archer would commit to this action, and soon another sip would be added to the grail.

But what of Caster? Apparently, this lad preferred to fall in combat. But not as he was currently classed. He was apparently still training and wished for a spear as his primary weapon before facing Artoria. He claimed that if he got it, both Artoria and Archer would be on his list to be challenged. A smirk came to the Queen of Knights as she respected such moxie. "Is that so?" she said with a look of absolute smug. "The climb to Camelot is about to become quite steep, but if you knock at my castle gates I would gladly face you in open combat and knock you down properly," she said on a matter of her own honor. Strangely, the Queen of Knights would take on any who came to her door in open combat and freely defeat them, of this there was certainty. "So go, and finish your training... I will be waiting." And that would be how this Holy Grail War came to an end. Artoria had stood on her honor and won. And now there was a certain happiness as she approached the cup that was her own. There was a smile on her face strange though it was, she was actually quite pleased at the end of this day.

One sip, then two. Both Archer and Caster resigned from the third Holy Grail War of this continent, and of this world. In doing so, however, Caster had his challenge prematurely accepted. She'd knock him down if he came to challenge her in his proper element, would she? That wasn't currently a surprising concept. Alas, he would one day hold himself to being capable of defeating his master. If he could manage that, Caster was confident that he could face this beast of a woman as well. "Heh! Say all that now. I'll see you again when I'm way too badass to even look at!" he said as Saber made her way toward the grail.

How laughable. There was only one who could be called "too badass" to gaze upon directly, and it was he who invaded the bounded field to grab the Holy Grail with his own hands. King Gilgamesh waited patiently for the return of Artoria, holding a now-filled grail that was ready to act as a key. The queen was on her way. Each step took an eternity, and there he was, just waiting and waiting, with that cup held in front of him. Once her footsteps became audible, Gilgamesh spoke at last. "What a wonderful show! I must say, watching you destroy everything in your path is most titillating... Queen of Knights." His greeting was most casual, but most purposeful. He thought to congratulate her victory while the Holy Grail she earned inhabited his hand, the golden liquid within swirling about as he wafted the drinking apparatus ever so nonchalantly.

Both of the younger individuals resigned from the Holy Grail War. The last words from Caster were quite interesting, if he managed something like that she'd be terribly surprised. In the moment she committed his visage to memory and would be on the lookout for a blue-haired spearman claiming to want to fight the Queen of Knights. Whatever the case, Artoria had made a claim and followed through all the way to the end, she could rest easy on her win, but as her footsteps approached the cup she'd left, her ears were assaulted once more by a voice she'd gone without hearing in nearly a decade. Her eyes trailed over the golden majesty that was the King of Heroes and though she was immediately annoyed she couldn't quite get rid of the smile on her face. He was congratulating her? Truly?! And even now his hand was on her cup. It was quite literally her cup. Artoria Pendragon had earned this for herself and her people. Truly none could argue this point. "King of Heroes," she said giving thought to her general response. "I suppose I should accept the compliment. Though I would assume you have something more pressing to do than to watch me do what I said I was going to," she said as those green eyes of hers tracing his form. She'd just been engaged his battle and he'd enjoyed watching her fight. It was such a strange notion, an annoying notion. The King of Heroes interest in her had always been so obvious that she'd not known how to argue against it, even so... she held open her hand. As her armor was banished that empty hand, she intended to fill with her grail. "I will have what is mine, King of Heroes..."

King of Heroes, she chanted. They only ever addressed each other with utmost formality, but the way Gilgamesh saw things, they were mere steps away from being wed. It was only fitting that a couple so magnificent as them have discussions such as the present, in which Artoria questioned the state of his duties versus his chosen activity of watching her. "You fool. This world will burn before I turn my gaze from you. There is nothing more pressing than my pursuit of a most divine life, where you are my bride," he stated. In actuality, there was much more truth to his statement than he revealed. In coming here and taking the Grail into his own hands, he stayed the corruption of the fallen Avenger. Something about that Class was sinful. Even in dying, an Avenger would take vengeance. Gilgamesh had seen multiple possibilities, some of which involved the corruption of Artoria, her Grail, or even both. The decision he made was one that would corrupt the Holy Grail's very system in all future wars... but it was worth the sacrifice to keep this woman on her chosen path for the long-haul.

A hand was outstretched, implying that Artoria wished to be granted her Grail. In response however, Gilgamesh held the object dangerously close to his own lips, smirking over its brim. "H'oh? Would that be this cup, by chance? Or would it be the King of Heroes himself?" he questioned as if to pick at her wording. "Both are yours to partake of as you see fit, of course. But I suppose, my queen must first be crowned. Surely a queen must not pour her own wine, though. Shall I offer my queen her sustenance as the birdmother does? Or perhaps..." He had another idea─ a brilliant one. Out went the cup, but not into the woman's hand. Instead, he tilted it just slightly toward her lips, nearly touching her bottom lip with the brim. "Should I offer drink from mine own hand instead? Either way, this world does not have my permission to place the proverbial crown atop your head. Only I, Gilgamesh, may have that divine privilege."

The words. The King of Heroes was just the type to open his mouth and have flowers fall out when his speech concerned the Queen of Knights. What did he say this time, to make her give him a strange look? Well, he claimed the world could burn before he'd look away from her. He also claimed that there was nothing more important to him than his pursuit of her. Annoying. "Considering some would call you king of the world, that sounds like a gross dereliction of duty, King of Heroes," Artoria stated. Still, somehow she could not actually express much distaste at his words initially. It'd been a decade since she last saw him, and she'd sworn she'd told him in no uncertain terms to leave her be, but here he was, bothering her again.

The King of Heroes was to be addressed in the most professional of tones, with nothing but formality. Even as he so shamelessly flirted with her, she was sure he was simply amused by his own actions and rather obviously pleased to see her. That was still strange to her, aside from her own people no one was ever really pleased to see her, right? What was more he chose to question whether she was after the cup or himself. He even made the outrageous claim that she could have either. "Obviously, I mean the cup. I already told you I would not have you added to my responsibilities," she said. She was sure she'd said something to that effect a while ago. Yes, this was how she was. Of course given what this man was like she figured he'd simply not heard her the first time. She was now having her cup tilted towards her own face. She couldn't pour her own wine? He wouldn't give the world permission to crown her? Well that much was obvious by the way he'd titled her before she'd even reached this point. "King of Heroes, you still have flowers pouring out of your mouth for every three seconds of speech. But I am in a good mood today, so I will allow just this one indulgence from you..." she said as she pushed at her cup in his hand. She'd take hold of said cup eventually, but she had a wish to make presently.

"On the contrary, my wonderful queen, one should consider it an acceptance of duty. If I am to be wed to the likes of you, I must rest every now and then. How else will I make sure I am prepared for consummation?" he inquired. Of course, that wasn't all he had to say. There was a great deal of anticipation in the King of Heroes, and he was sure to make it known what his intentions were. "After all, if you are even able to walk of your own accord the next morning, the failure is mine to bear. Ensuring that failure does not occur is the ultimate duty imposed upon King Gilgamesh by himself."

Though she may have thought otherwise, Artoria was heard loud and clear in her rejection each time it came. In fact, he intently listened to everything she said, every time. That didn't mean he was going to take her naysaying at face value. The best part about the functionality of his eyes, was the fact that he could see his own idea future, and decide to pursue it. "Hmph. Indeed, you did say such a thing. Since you enjoy reminiscing so much, be sure to do so as we share moments of fleeting consciousness following a fortnight of debauchery," he insisted. Perhaps that was more of the "flowers" she spoke of. Whether it was or not, his words were never lies. Whatever the case, Artoria's lips were soon pressed against the Holy Grail, with Gilgamesh's hand tilting the object forward to pour its contents into her orifice. There would be many more indulgences; this much, he knew. For now though, he would allow her to think otherwise while she temporarily became one with the Nexus by drinking the nectar of souls. Once within that blank space, Artoria would be met by the same voice that previously addressed... four others. "Another has claimed the Holy Grail. Your case is a special one; there is no name to grant you. Queen of Knights, you already are... and thereby, you must be my Queen. What would you have of me?"

Oh, he intended to turn this around on her? Well, that was part of his ability to converse, she supposed. He claimed his need to take a break now and again was necessary as he planned to wed her. He was truly still on about that. Artoria would have almost found such devotion endearing if it was anything she could process with any level of certainty. Yes, he was being sincere she could tell this but she still found it to be strange. "Still you flirt with me..." she murmured. It'd been a decade, she figured that was more than long enough for one to give up on fanciful notions. Though, he could see the future so it was also still possible he saw one where he got his way in the end, and he was clinging to that the way children did to stuffed toys at night. It seemed like the likeliest conclusion. "Well, I am not the one to strip men of their dreams. Even when I do not understand them so long as they hurt no one else," she said, obviously she could not argue against him yet, but she could withhold her own judgements one way or the other. That was about all that could be expected of the Queen of Knights.

Did Artoria enjoy reminiscing? Well, at least a little, fond memories were all one had in a long lifetime. The ability to enjoy and recall them was about all one could wish to do. The King of Heroes flirted and she let him, while also letting him have his particular kind of indulgence. The cup of trials was emptied into her mouth and that was an interesting thing to take in. It was almost like a perfect drink where all others paled by comparison even so, she'd not be bothered too much about it, as she'd soon have this strange voice to deal with. Artoria had been warned by her sister, to be nice to this voice, and she would, though one of the first things it said within this white room was exactly the sort of thing to inspire her ire. "Oh? You acknowledge me as your Queen and ask only what I wish? I should be more annoyed by that than I am... I will blame my good mood for any lack of spite," she said while staring into the emptiness of white space. "So, if you are not granting me a title and will move my lands as I see fit regardless, does that mean I can ask other things of you and receive them instead?" Artoria's questions were strange indeed, but she needed to know exactly how much room she had to work with. Her younger sister made it sound as if this voice was not forthcoming but in the moment it seemed she could potentially get whatever she asked for, that would be interesting indeed.

Page 44 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast