Page 46 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

When issuing divinity, the Nexus had granted a choice to only one recipient thus far: Artoria herself. To think, she would also be the first to choose an external source for her gift. Her reasoning was sound as well; the Nexus had seen the result of those who both possessed and desired such unrivaled power while having influence over others. One who could influence the world at large could not be trusted by others, but one who did not trust themselves with the power was just what the Nexus sought. "Understood. Routing the Holy Goddess' power source to weapon: Rhongomyniad," the Nexus spoke. The Holy Spear Rhongomyniad would have the full Divine Aspect seeded into itself, accessible to its chosen wielder when actively used and integrated with. At the same time, the Nexus gained something physical from the interface. Before Artoria was her chosen lance, and behind her was a large set of doors leading to the location of her "key". The Nexus would not banish her as it did the others, but would instead allow her to leave of her own accord. First though, there would always be another question. "What else will you require?"

In the time since she'd entered the Nexus, Artoria had learned and technically done a great many things. Her last change would be to place her divinity into an object so that she could have access to it, without the ability to abuse it herself. She knew people too well, and knew herself even better. She was not a kind hearted soul nor was she pleasant people. What she wanted was to make sure she'd never be so much of a danger that she'd need curbing. She reached for her weapon soon after the Nexus spoke of the connection and in taking hold of the hilt she found it to be very different from the last time she'd held it. "Nice." she commented. So much had changed, yet so little had changed as well. With her current setting as Ruler she had a new hidden ability to abuse and a way to access the Nexus again if she needed to do so. Did she require anything else in the moment? "I do not believe I have any more immediate needs. But you will be the first to know if I do," she said carefully. If the Nexus was willing to trust her, she'd do her best not to betray that. And she turned in the moment towards that door that would lead her back to her grail and in turn back to the King of Heroes.

Artoria pushed open those doors and stepped through, finding herself back in the same place. Her eyes slowly opened and she gave a gentle exhale with her hand around the Holy Lance, Rhongomyniad. A wide grin crossed her face in the moment as she felt oddly satisfied with what she'd learned. There was a certain amount of enlightenment currently held by Artoria but she was just cautious enough that knowing it wouldn't be enough to ruin her as a person. What it would do, was help her properly acclimate everyone else. She'd given them something new, and in return she'd been given something tantamount to absolute power. She stared at the weapon in her hand and took in the changes of it. "How very fruitful," she mused. She felt like this weapon could do anything now. Always she would check he weaponry and then her eyes would flicker upwards and over to the King of Heroes.

One might wonder where those who acquired a Holy Grail in one of these wars went when drinking from it. Gilgamesh had nary a clue, but he did know they all returned eventually. Artoria took far longer to do so than her sister did one decade prior, or perhaps that was simply his state of impatience making him think so. No matter; the Nexus' light eventually shone once more, giving way to the queen's radiance for Gilgamesh to set his sights on. What perfect timing, he thought. By the time Artoria returned, he sat next to a golden jug of what he christened as "King's Wine" based on the belief that only a true king was worthy to drink it. Artoria's Holy Grail had been filled with that wine during her absence, and the same could be said of another Grail that... seemed to have never been emptied of its power. What a funny thing; Gilgamesh realized he'd been in possession of a Holy Grail for years upon years. In his time, however, it was referred to by a different name entirely. What a day he had when realizing that entire war was fought for no reason whatsoever.

Artoria's return occurred as she brandished a lance he'd yet to see her with. No. No, he'd seen that light without a doubt. In all but physique, the grinning Artoria resembled the vision he once had in the most perfect way conceivable. If he ever had doubts, they would have been crushed the moment he gazed upon her. She looked as he did, radiating a divinity and brilliance unreachable by even gods, even others who possessed the Holy Grail. That alone... was absolutely thrilling. "H'oh. I should have been warned that you would return with an effulgence that somehow stirs the loins with greater vigor than before. You seemed to enjoy the finest wine available in this world, so I took the liberty of refilling this empty mug of yours. Come. Before the inevitable celebration of your rise, I would share a drink with my future queen."

Artoria had returned, and she was somehow less than surprised to find Gilgamesh still waiting. The King of Heroes was still a strange individual, but the moment of her arrival had dictated an utterance which made the blonde lass stare at him strangely. This was another of those strange moments, where out of his mouth came the petals of sweet scented flowers. He was flirting so very forwardly but that wasn't all. Her new ability was something she could use actively with just the shift of her gaze, and with those green eyes of hers upon him she found no deceit. These things he said... here and now he honestly meant them. 'He truly is not jesting or using his words to rouse. Who actually speaks with this level of frankness?' Artoria all but questioned aloud this man's words. "The voice beyond the light could not change me in the ways of its conventions. Do I truly appear different?" she asked. She might considering Rhongomyniad being on her person presently but that was not truly important. But what was this, he was offering a drink. She supposed she'd just won a Holy Grail, she might as well enjoy a drink, especially if he simply wanted to share one with her. "I must be going mad to allow such a secondary indulgence this day," she said heaving a slight sigh. "Fine, a drink, but I still have agreed to no such thing as being your queen, King of Heroes," she stated as she reached for her filled cup. Once upon a time she'd been told she didn't understand the hearts of men. She'd aimed to be a bit more empathetic and now she could see those same intentions clearly without the inbuilt skepticism of her own former training to get in the way. She was almost astounded by this man's sincerety.

The cup she'd found was a key. The Key led to the Nexus, and the Nexus led to a power beyond the paltry status of 'divinity' as it applied to even gods in this world. How very strange. "Celebration is not inevitable. I would want no such thing..." she added quickly. How could she justify celebrating anything after she'd made the claim she would take a grail. Such hubris shouldn't be rewarded, she had only just managed to maintain herself. Her country would rise yes, but she felt no need to celebrate further than this drink this afternoon. Besides all of that she hated being the center of attention and there was no doubt she would be if such a thing happened. For one who ruled, Artoria was surprisingly modest. Still, she was in a rather good mood at the moment, she could allow the King of Heroes a bit of fun before he returned to work.

"H'oh?" the king murmured as that goblet transferred into Artoria's hand. She knew not whether she appeared different, but there was nothing more clear to him. The Queen of Knights was shrouded in the light of divinity, most of it radiating off that lance in her hand. "It is no surprise that you could not be altered. How does one improve upon perfection, other than simply polishing it? I must admit, it is a very decent polishing you've received... though the one I perform will certainly be more thorough."

With yet another ridiculous declaration, Gilgamesh tapped his own wine-filled grail against Artoria's. True enough, she had not agreed to be his queen... "Yet." She would do so eventually. The wheel of fate turned, and Gilgamesh would ensure it turned in his favor. Even an act so pompous as destroying all alternate paths that she might take, was not beyond him and his desire to have her led into his midst. Now then, what was this about celebration not being inevitable? Poppycock! It didn't matter whether she wanted it or not. "A hamstrung monkey could presume that you do not want for celebration, Queen of Knights. However, it is my divine right as your king and husband to give you everything you desire, even when you don't desire it. I've already taken the liberty of informing the masses of your ascension; the reception of your victory will proceed at the sound of a bell, heralding in the knights, the pharaohs, the wise men, and indeed even the drudges to bask in your radiance!" With that said, Gilgamesh's grail was pressed to his lips for a hefty swig. Several gulps later, he turned it down and sighed wine-stained breath to the open air... looking no less satisfied than ever as he continued. "The Holy Maiden herself seemed especially keen to the idea. That woman has a good head on her shoulders."

More flowery words from the King of Heroes. This set was so frank she had to look away from him while sipping from her cup. What had she done to deserve this fresh hell? Was it pay back from the universe from all those slayings. Was now even her dignity to be slain by some man who simply could not keep his mouth shut about matters which had no business being spoken. "I can not even question the things you say King of Heroes, or risk falling into some strained trap. I have done nothing to deserve this..." she said. She almost seemed to take it as a punishment. But that wasn't it entirely. Though she was quite good at what she did, the Queen of Knights did not see herself in the light other people did. The words of the King of Heroes always seemed to hit her ears, translate in her mind and present in their stead a semblance of emotion she could only recognize as annoyance.

Yet. A scoff escaped the Queen of Knights as she sipped from her cup. "That word is why those who have sight beyond mortal means cause me nothing but annoyance," she said accusingly. Of course, this wasn't entirely Gilgamesh's fault. Fault lied with all those who had used such words on her, building such intolerance with the annoyance of knowing the future. What was more he claimed this party would be happening. That all were invited and had been informed of her impending victory. He knew for a fact she was uninterested in such things, but put it together anyway as part of his rights as her future husband and king. The frown on Artoria's face deepened. "If you know I do not like them, putting together a celebration is completely unnecessary," she exclaimed. Still she looked at the man over the rim of her cup. He was so serious. He truly thought she deserved such a celebration that people should look on her and bask in her victory with her. Ugh, it was high school sports all over again. Truly the Queen of Knights hated being the center of attention in such a way, it always made her feel awkward. And what was this, the mention of the Queen of Saints being keen on the idea of celebrating. Another scoff would occur. "Of fucking course she would agree to it. It is all fun and games with that one. It is always, I'm a Saint not a Nun! and the next thing you know you are drunk in a bath playing 'never have I ever' with a wine-maker and drinking so much you cannot see straight!" Artoria was outraged. Of course, this would always be the case, strangely though, the lass would do anything for her younger sister. Even put up with the idea of a celebration where she was centerpiece because it would make her happy. "Do not tell her I said that," she followed up, the last thing she wanted was to be chided for swearing once again by her younger sister. "I am not mentally prepared for this, another drink," she said holding that empty cup out to be filled again. If she was going to be required to attend such an event, she might as well have one more before her arrival, lest she fall immediately to cornering embarrassment.

Trap? King Gilgamesh did not lay traps, nor did he mislead. Prideful as he was, every word from his mouth was nothing short of his true intention. He walked the path he chose, and he demanded that the world itself follow suit in the wake of his glory. "That you were born Hoshimi Eri, is sufficient enough. You will receive all that you deserve, which is all that exists," he said with the very same candidness one would use when stating "the sky is blue." As a forge master at work, Gilgamesh would temper the steel of reality around himself, shaping it into the arrowhead of Nanaya with which to pierce Artoria's maiden heart. This was the decision of Gilgamesh, and would therefore be the law of reality.

Artoria spoke of sight beyond mortal means, and Gilgamesh thought it ironic that she would do so. Could she truly claim such a thing while under his scrutiny, mere moments after visiting the Nexus? Certainly, she had little ground to stand on. "Do you proclaim to be annoyed by yourself? You lost the ability to see as mortals do sometime after leaving my sight. Welsh Dragon, is it?" he questioned. As unnatural sight was concerned, Artoria was officially counted among few who possessed such a thing. Hidden though it was, nothing could avoid his gaze. Moving right along though, an interesting amount of outrage would soon fall from those perfectly-sculpted lips─ a full tirade about the nature of one Jeanne d'Arc. It was a rather flavorful complaint, ending in a plea to refrain from telling the saint about it. "Fuhaha! And what, avoid having her know that the tongue of her dear sister possesses bronze beneath the silver lining? Hmph. Worry not. My silence will be remuneration for the mental image of you, flushed and befuddled from Siduri's wine. Here; take another step toward that eventuality." As per her request, and his own desire to see her reach a drunken stupor, Gilgamesh took up that golden jug and filled her grail until it began to overflow. He would finish drinking from his own while doing so, only to follow by refilling it as well.

Artoria had a hand over her face again. Truly this man would say anything he wished and mean it absolutely. That she was born herself was reason enough for him to do anything he did. Not even as Artoria Pendragon, but as Hoshimi Eri. "I am certain we have two very different ideas about my nature..." she said not even realizing how very pink her cheeks were at a moment like this. Hoshimi Eri was an assassin, she was a murderer who killed simply because she was paid to do so. She was not a pleasant person nor a deserving person. Artoria Pendragon was similar, a killer who murdered but at least her skills were being used implicitly for good, with the mantle of Chivalry to give others a fighting chance against her. "But you are so very certain about what you say, I find it bothersome to consider," she offered honestly. Gilgamesh was such a strange man to her, she was certain he was truthful but also very sure he could not fully understand why she was the way she was. Why wouldn't he just accept being talked out of his ideations about her, all could be well if he would simply accept it.

Oh well, she did not have time to argue the finer points of her existence with the King of Heroes. Or rather, her original existence. Right at the moment they were discussing her distaste for the clairvoyant and her apparent hypocrisy. She'd wondered if such a thing could truly escape his sight, she'd asked for it to be hidden but it wasn't him she was hiding her new found sight from. Instead it was the others who made her wary even just a tad who made her wish for an unknown skill. Some habits die hard and that one wasn't going anywhere. "First and foremost no one bothers me more than me," she said as a declaration of absolute fact, she was no liar after all. "Second, my sight is not something so fanciful as what I find truly annoying. Since I could not be given title as the norm, I took instead a tool for the sake of clarity in the here and now. About the Welsh Dragon though, it is something clear in even my birth though none truly understand it. There is nothing to be so concerned about," she said calmly. Her cup was filled almost to the point of overflow and she'd take it up to her lips once more and sip it down to more reasonable levels. As for her desire to have her younger sister not know about her swearing it seemed that the King of Heroes was agreeable to the situation, though he found humor in what she wished. "I was not in any position to be a good person to start with, then raised on a farm and then this... it is not normal to change so completely with every shift in life. The Queen of Saints can be a slave-driver about her sticking points my use of colorful language has always been one of them. She is our pride and joy though so, for her sake, I do try," she said gently. At a point halfway through this cup she had found herself speaking to the King of Heroes with the same calmness she'd had more than a decade ago. She did not understand this at all. If she thought she could get away with it, she'd probably just have disappeared into the armory or her barn. Care for horses and weapons in a quiet evening, instead of anything like a party. She'd finish that drink and take a deep breath clutching both Rhongomyniad and the cup of her victory. Shoulders back, disposition shifted, it was like watching her become a completely different person over the course of a few seconds, as she shifted to what she should be for such a thing as a victory celebration, such was her nature. Hoshimi Eri was so rarely herself she couldn't even be sure who that person was... or if they even existed to start with... but that was a problem for a different time.

Oh, Hoshimi Eri existed alright. In a previous life, there was no human more worth having one's eye on, even for the King of Heroes as he observed the memory of her existence. Everything from strength to flaw was perfection incarnate. He'd spend the rest of eternity watching her destroy everything including herself, and he'd relish in the desolation that followed. As for her being "good" as she put it, well... that was a totally subjective matter. "Hmph. You continued to speak of yourself as if you could ever be so low. No matter; I will allow you to batter even yourself. I will consider it a privilege to reassemble the pieces of your broken soul, and I will proceed to... break the body, so to speak." A bit of cheek would never be absent from Gilgamesh. In fact, Artoria would have to become used to such statements occurring between sips of wine; there was much of it to be found in her future.

Also in her future, was the greatest celebration this world had seen thus far. The assembly should have started already, even of the knights she commanded on this level of the world. Perhaps she would ascend Albion right away; most routes saw it remain in place for a time. Whichever path she took, it was Jeanne's privilege to assemble the knights, the pharaohs' duty to assemble the venue, and Gilgamesh's right to collect the guest of honor. Downing another grail of wine, he considered that it was time to move forward. "Now then, shall we make our way? Or, would you instead prefer discovering how intoxicated you can become in my presence while still resisting me?"

Gilgamesh spoke and once more his words hit her ears. She processed them and even understood them as what they were, but overall they just sounded to her like flowers smelled, sweet, fragrant and fleeting. Only, in looking at him, she had an absolute clarity that he was not speaking just to do so. He fully meant the words he spoke, even with their sassy flirtation at the end. "You continue to flirt with me... it is like you cannot help it. I truly will never understand this," she muttered in the moment. Even knowing he was being absolutely serious and sincere how was she supposed to react. Her training never prepared her for this, not with any intention of it not just being a means to the end of a life.

Ah, but such things were already in motion. And after drinking the contents of another grail of wine, it would appear it was about time for them to leave. Where would they be going? Well, she did not know, but she could assume this was the sort of thing people planned ahead of time. Annoyed though she might have been, she could be happy to see her sister and the Pharaohs at least. "We can go, but do not mistake me, King of Heroes. Even drunk I could slay an entire army by myself... nothing will get in the way of my stance," she said succinctly. She really needed to drive home the idea that this man was not going to get his way. She was not flirting with him as far as she was concerned either. No, this was the absolute truth of the matter as far as she knew it.

Page 46 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast