Page 71 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

Whatever Ishtar had been doing prior to Enki's arrival was none of his business, nor was it his concern. He'd come with the best of news, and he needed Ishtar to confirm exactly how good said news was. As he sauntered over to the woman's fore, Enki plucked a grape from the bundle and held it out toward Ishtar's lips. "Oh I do, and I will. The Great Temple of Ishtar has been successfully completed. Worshippers are beginning to flock and learn your image from the first series of busts. Construction is beginning on the rest, and the busts will become full statues once the rest can be accurately depicted. Can you feel it? I do wait to hear news of your ability to bless those mortals with a sight they don't deserve."

Meanwhile, Nefertari was being returned to her... patiently waiting husband by the Queen of Knights. It had only taken an hour, but Pharaoh Ozymandias was quite dependent. In the absence of his wife, he could find nothing to do but swim around in his own thoughts until... he lost consciousness. Of course, he'd never even left the table he previously watched Nefertari from. His face was buried in the table by the time of return. His mouth was agape, drool slipping past parted lips. He was even snoring, just slightly. If nothing else, he would always use the absence of Nefertari as an opportunity to catch up on his rest─ even if accidentally.

Upon entering, Enki took it upon himself to pluck a grape and offer it to her lips. She'd eat it while he explained what was happening for her now. Apparently she had a great temple which had already been constructed. She had a series of busts that were waiting on the rest of her proportions so they could place statues there. Oh? How interesting. Not enough could be said about how much of a boost it was to have someone like Enki serving her. He probably didn't see it as such, but at the end of the day, he was in her room serving her grapes, saying all the work he was having done on her behalf. And if that wasn't service, she wasn't sure she understood the meaning of the word. "That is great news," she said after finishing that bite of grape. "I can feel something... not quite the pull I normally have. But there is nothing I enjoy more than worship~" she said happily. Could she feel it? Almost... there was a gentle tingle, perhaps just a little bit more worship and she'd be able to move forward. Or rather, maybe she was too preoccupied with her own thoughts to concentrate on the words and praises of regular mortals. Maybe she'd give it a test run and port herself to Gilgamesh instead? Yeah, then she could blame lack of worship on her late arrival.

At the same time, Nefertari and Artoria found themselves back at the workshop, while Ozymandias sit... snoring?! Artoria's eyes widened and Nefertari stifled a laugh as she let go of the Queen's hand and motioned for her to watch. She walked over to Ozymandias and pecked his cheek only to begin talking like nothing happened. "My Sun and Stars, I've only been gone for five minutes, was that enough to leave you sleeping?" she asked as if this amount was truthful. Why? Because it was funny and her aiming to wake him in such a way, made the Queen of Knights eyes light up while she covered her mouth, trying her best not to laugh at this woman's antics. Why was she doing this? "I will leave the Pharaohs to their day. I do thank you for parting with your wife, Sun King..." she said throwing that big copy of Excalibur over her shoulder with her other hand she very easily found herself walking away. As always, when on a walk Artoria's adventures would lead her to many places, but mostly she needed some moments of calm thought, she needed to steel her nerve and approach the King of Heroes directly. She would show an interest, maybe have dinner and then... whatever wanted to happen could happen. She would show that man the most genuine version of herself she knew... whenever the jitters stopped.

Great news indeed. Enki awaited the moment Ishtar could be pulled from this wretched room leading to nothing. The moment a path was fully formed between her temple in Celestia, and the temple in AS-IKU, he would know true elation. Ah, it was only a matter of time. "Not enough then, eh? That's no good. There is no point to any of it if your influence isn't even greater than it was before. I will allow nothing less than the sort of improvement I've seen of my own reach," the water god insisted. He could not claim a queen who stood as low as the mortals, or even just a little higher. A goddess should be as such, especially when connected to him at the top of the world. "The completed statues should do a lot of heavy lifting, whenever you are open to another observation. Otherwise, the surrounding lesser temples will have to suffice for now."

Ozymandias had been asleep for the better part of an hour. He definitely felt as if it has been that long when the warmth of Nefertari's lips met his cheek, rousing him from slumber. What was this, though? It had been only five minutes? "Hrmph..." the pharaoh mumbled while peeling open his eyes. "Five minutes? No, surely it has been a month," he argued. One could surmise that he almost believed his own words, considering how long time seemed to drag on when his queen was away. Of course, he was awake now... and that typically meant only one thing. "Fat lot of good that does for a good morning. I should─" Suddenly, Ozymandias fell silent. He could see the Queen of Knights standing within the room, and thought the better of what he'd been prepared to say. Oh. Right. Something had been going on before he lost consciousness. "─ Oh. Right, yes. Think nothing of it," he said in regard to Artoria's gratitude. "Much luck with your... thing─ whatever it was."

Enki was talking again, but at least his words made her happy. Yes, he should hold mortals to a higher standard for her sake. He should definitely make sure she had only the best. Her exact placement in the world should only be more elevated than everyone else. She was the Queen of Heaven! And one day that would become the Queen of Everything!! Yes, she enjoyed that. "Well, I've been stuck here for over a decade... I suppose I can make an allowance or two, just for you... that would leave me here a few more days. I am magnanious enough. And I will try to reach the new temples, but I'll need to change my wardrobe a bit... I can't appear in this old thing for new people, nor for you..." Yes, if she put it like that maybe she could get rid of him under the guise of offering him something new to look at before her next showed up in front of her. At the very least, it would give her a bit of time to try and save Gilgamesh and get his loyalty while she used Enki for his extended reach. Eventually, she could see herself easily taking everything from both of these men, but at least Gilgamesh was easy enough on the eyes that she could keep him around after milking him dry.

Five minutes but more like a month? Artoria couldn't help but let out an audible sound at such a ridiculous statement. "Aww..." she managed, sounding strangely like the Queen of Saints. Perhaps that was the place the cutesy noises came from. Observing cuteness was apparently good for the soul. Whatever the case, whatever words were about to come out of the Sun King's mouth he cut off himself. Very interesting and good for Artoria, she didn't think she needed anymore scarring this day. 'Thank you Sun King, on my honor, next time we can all hang out!' she declared in her soul. Ozymandias was the person today who had not scarred her psyche, and thus he was deserving of praise. She raised a hand to the luck and disappeared. How long would it take for her to get her life together? A few hours, but eventually she'd find herself once more in Uruk casually walking towards the Ziggurat. As always she stopped the statue of his friend Enkidu, patted the heads of children, answered questions about her sword and heard strangely the tale of herself slaying the White Titan at the side of the King of Heroes. Interesting. Soon after, she walked up to the Ziggurant only to enter that sword slung over her left shoulder now, and strangely found, the King of Heroes not on his throne. But Siduri still standing at the side of it. "Star-Blessed wine-maker, where is the King of Heroes?" she asked letting her business be known in the most casual of ways. "I would have words."

That was a statement Siduri had heard before. Of all the things she expected, she did not expect the Queen of Knights to show within a week of her defeat of the White Titan. She did not expect the lass to seek Gilgamesh out herself and she did not expect to have to be the bearer of bad news which was still somehow good. "I am sorry my Queen. I have words to share with you... but I fear you will not like what I have to say," Siduri said. Artoria managed to look shocked confusion playing behind those emerald eyes of hers. "You have nothing to fear, Siduri. I will hear what you have to say..." she said, planting Excalibur into the stone still fully sheathed, just so she could approach the veiled woman more directly. She stood arms before her, hands clasped together just like a little lady. Very non-threatening so she'd been told, and as such she expected a bit more confidence from Siduri. "Alright my Queen, just a few things. I need you not to react too loudly. I need to whisper these words directly to you so they are not heard by others and I would prefer you not pick up your sword for several moments after I tell you this information..." she said carefully. Artoria was now infinitely curious. And so she could agree to the terms. What could Siduri possibly have to say. She came close and leaned down whispering strange news into Artoria's ear. As she heard the message her face shifted between several different emotions. The King has died. His body went with him to Kur. He is outside the reincarnation... but he is coming back... eventually. "He. What?" Artoria was trying to remain calm but it was taking all she had not to pick up Excalibur and march into a temple and demand entrance to the underworld to thrash the King of Heroes personally. How dare he die? She took a week to get here... he waited ten years to die in a week?! It was ludicrous. "What I said is truth, a woman who died in a recent fire returned from there with a message for the Queen. It can only be you... if you would like I could have her repeat it to you directly." Siduri's words were addressed to Artoria, but she'd could see the Queen of Knights was struggling with something. That could only be taken as a positive sign overall. She wished she'd seen such a thing in better circumstances. "Bring her." Artoria said these words with her hands still clasped before her. She was doing good, keeping up her mask but... she was furious below the surface. And with that, Siduri called a single name, "Adina."

Ah yes, only he could be given a bit of leeway in expectation. What choice did Ishtar have? Without his aid, she'd already been stuck here for a decade. Without his aid, she'd be stuck here with Anu and Ki forevermore. He had no such sway over Kur's future, but it was clear Ishtar was the one he should be aiming for anyway. No other could solidify his reign so clearly as her. "It will not be another decade, I assure you. Even a few days might be a stretch. Of course, I'd much rather you be able to show your beauty to the mortals right now. But... relying on humans has its limits, sadly," he said with a shrug and a sigh. Ishtar spoke of a change to her wardrobe, for the same of appearing before himself and before new people in general. A new ensemble upon her visage was quite exciting as an idea. Oh, was it her intention to do so now? What an interesting little segue, if so. "Oh? When you talk like that, I fear for the groin of all who see your next appearance─ even myself."

Yes, it was rather true that right at the moment she could do nothing but rely on one such as Enki. But perhaps he was semi-reliable to start with, after all... it had been him to rescue her from the Underworld. Of course, that didn't mean she'd be admitting that to him. Ishtar was a firm believer that if you gave a man that sort of control over your even a little, he'd run around as if he was important and to put it simply, she believed him to be doing exactly what he needed to be doing. He was supporting her needs and desires and that was his job as both a man and someone who had any inclination to lay with her. Whether she actually lay with him or not. "Yes, even I can be somewhat understanding at times like this," she said as if it actually mattered. In truth she fully planned to see Gilgamesh before descending upon the rest of the world, making sure he realized that she should be most important in his life before taking over whatever space Enki had for himself. Whatever the case, she could at least take solace in his words. Another of those shrill laughs escaped her as she held a hand up to her face. "Of course they should, any appearance of mine is worthy of nothing short of pain!" she said laughing, still she supposed if she was changing clothes it was about time to get up. "Well go on then... we wouldn't want you ruining the surprise now would we?~" she said being somewhat flirty. Of course she had no intention of giving more of herself to this man without getting more of herself in return. Which in her own mind meant she probably wouldn't have to worry about him again until after she could fully connect to the temples.

Adina a lovely looking young woman with dark hair and golden colored eyes appeared. She had on a light veil now as well and bright intelligence behind her eyes entered within moments of her name being called. It seemed she was prepared for this, but she looked no less worried than Siduri had looked when Artoria first entered. Artoria looked over this woman as Siduri ushered her over. "This is the Queen the message is for," said Siduri. Adina looked at Artoria Pendragon for the first time and even with her tanned skin her own face flushed. Did she really have to repeat such a message directly to her. It seemed almost rude as a thing to say to such a petite and well-put together young lady. Oh well, that was fine right, she'd just preface it as a message from the King and that would absolve her right. "Right... the words I am about to speak are not my own. I should start by saying that..." she mentioned. And in that same moment Artoria went to grasp the bridge of her nose with her thumb and fore finger closing her eyes as if to fight off a building tension headache. Why? Because she knew this woman was about to say something outlandish. "Carry on. On my honor irrespective of my reaction... I will not be upset with you," she said trying to be comforting and wondering if she would succeed. Of course, Adina could see this woman was one of her word and Siduri's silent affirmation made her take a breath and step forward delivering a message the likes of which Artoria couldn't have expected. "If the queen comes looking for her stallion, she will be able to ride into the sunset in due time." She said stepping back and taking a bow. How would Artoria respond to this absolutely Gilgamesh style wording for his return aimed rather directly at her? The Queen of Knights had her entire face to red and she managed to look shocked beyond words. Actually exactly that, she couldn't even help her whispered reaction. "Why the fuck would he say something like that... it is completely unreasonable to expect someone to say something like that to another human being. I will slay him myself!" That was Artoria's immediate resolution. Meanwhile both of the other women laughed. True to her words, Artoria Pendragon was not upset with either of them, and all of her ire was aimed at the King of Heroes himself.

"Forgive me, I should not have said something like that... Thank you, for delivering such a ridiculous message from him. Since we do not know of the King's Return, I will take over his duties until anything is decided between myself and the other grail holders.." Artoria said picking up Excalibur and dragging it up the steps. She'd sit in Gilgamesh's throne and think over a few preparatory things that would need taking care of. "Siduri, I assume you have no problem taking a few orders from me?" she asked of the woman. She would not overwork anyone but she knew Gilgamesh would have left no one in charge, as much of a Tyrant as he played himself up as. "Of course I would be honored to serve the Queen in the King's absence," Siduri noted still standing where she was. "Good, there are several things I need done. I need messages sent to the Pharaohs and the Queen of Saints. If anyone else should be made aware of the situation it should be them. Have them meet me... tomorrow morning. I have no need of rushing on their parts," she said Siduri began writing such notes on her tablet. "It will be done." she said carefully. "I also need to send words to the Knights and let them know I will be staying here for a while. I would have them report here in the morning for training, but this place has no training grounds correct?" she asked of Siduri. "No such place exists, my Queen. Our king does not know that sort of diligence," said the wine-maker. "Fine... there has to be an open spot big enough within the walls I can take control of during my time... what about that spot where the large temple once stood. Surely nothing has been put there?" Artoria posed that inquiry while starting to look over tablets. "That one is open." Siduri liked this new rhythm of work. "Fine, I am taking it. Send word to my Knights to report there in the morning for training. I will take care of telling them everything they need to know myself then. In the meantime," there was a pause from Artoria as she sat one hand in her lap and the other on a on a tablet, "Why is this in Akkadian?" she asked of the tablet. Just then Medusa showed up quickly switching a stack of tablets for the stack where Artoria had just pulled from. "Sorry, I am switching those. It was the last stack. Here are the ones in common. I assume you are taking over for a while," she said to Artoria. "Yes, oh, you are the Rider, what is your name?" she asked of the woman who looked a bit surprised. "Medusa." she said quickly giving a bow. "Thank you Medusa," and just like that Artoria went back to reading the tablet. The information she found was pretty normal. It was daily running of a Kingdom. Easy enough to take care of, she could do this and whittle down the number of tablets until the morning.

"Of course. It is a kindness from the likes of us just to give the mortals some breathing room," Enki agreed. Ishtar would go on to laugh at the thought of putting others into a state of rut, or so it seemed. Enki had nothing positive nor negative to say about this, but it was interesting nonetheless to see the goddess' spirits so high. Personally, he would have been beyond sullen if he were locked away in a place like this. Ah, she was now shooing him. True enough, there would be no point in Enki witnessing Ishtar's change to a new ensemble. The surprise, he was certain, would be worth waiting for. "I should expect no less. Do give me a shout when you've found something, if you are feeling so... generous." With that said, Enki turned on his heel and made way for the exit. He would not be leaving Celestia, but he would be returning to his own temple within it to send orders to his citizens. More temples had to be constructed, and it seemed the busts would not yet be turned to full statues. Those mortals had to be informed as to their next order of business.

Meanwhile, Gilgamesh's journey through the underworld continued. The dredges were no place to find the information he sought, so he was left with two more choices. One he saved for later was the deceased who held great wealth in life while the option he followed first was the lowest of the low. Those who practiced rituals forbidden by the gods, and those who lost their path reaching high above human capacity─ they were his first targets on this leg of the journey. Such souls were kept at the lowest point of the Underworld, where the darkness became thick... almost so thick that he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him. Alas, this was no journey through the mountain of Mashu; it was almost a sunny vacation compared to that hellish trip.

Ishtar was nodding her head and laughing. Thinking only of her improved wardrobe and maybe how it would rouse the loins of the King of Heroes. She could imagine it now... Her descending into the Underworld through their sacred connection. Offering him a way out in exchange only for is unparalleled loyalty and worship. He should kill the boy-queen and then... they could do glorious things together. And since she can appear anywhere that he is, it wouldn't even matter that she had no temples in Uruk. No, she'd turn his great Ziggurat into her temple instead. She could see that too, sitting atop his throne, receiving gifts from all the land. That was perfect. Even more perfect was the idea of Enki leaving. "Yes, if I feel so inclined you will be the first to know..." she said as she began rummaging through things. She eventually found a thing white number. Just barely capable of holding back her massive bosom. It had one of those greek style feels to it, but it was clasped in gold as she would prefer. And with it came the tiniest pair of panties. They were white as well, just enough to be called coverage. They were held together by golden clasps on the side. Actually this whole ideal look would leave here exposed, generally, dressed in white and dripped in gold. It was the perfect compliment to her green eyes and hair. She chose a crown of jeweled flowers with a tiny tiara like forehead piece to toss her locks through. Yes, she looked like she'd just gotten herself together. She definitely looked stunning enough for her king or to sit atop the throne in the Ziggurat. She should take a look at that again make sure it was fit for her pleasure. And then she looked and what she saw, made her blood boil.

Artoria Pendragon sat atop Gilgamesh's throne working rather diligently on the massive array of tablets to be found there. She'd been at this a few hours already and seemed to be making decent headway. But for every stack she cleared, Medusa seemed content to bring her another one. The bits for the ascension of Albion were all but clear already. That had taken little time, but now there was a whole host of other problems to deal with. The blonde lass pulled gently at her collar. Why was it so hot in here?, she could do not but wonder. "Blessed wine-maker, tell me have I suffered a heat stroke?" she asked carefully. Siduri's brow rose. Yes, there was a little heat creeping up the neck of Artoria Pendragon but it was hardly anything more than she was always like. A bath and change in attire would do the Queen a world of good pretty soon. "No, my Queen. You have not suffered anything of that nature..." she said some six hours after Artoria's arrival the sun was finally setting and she had started to breathe a sigh of relief. "So can you tell me why this man in... Nippur is requesting, twenty cows in exchange for a mere 20 shekels of silver? At last check the going rate on a cow was 10 shekels for one." she asked as Siduri sighed. She'd forgotten to slip that one out but, there was no use being dishonest with the Queen of Knights while they were dealing with this problem. "The man from Nippur often makes requests like that... he can be talked down and mitigated my Queen. I meant to take that one myself, my apologies..." Siduri said offering to take said tablet from Artoria but the Queen of Knights would not surrender it. "No, instead of taking on this request. Tell this man to report to me, I would have words. I would see him make such an audacious request while looking me in the eye." Artoria said. What a strange and different request. Siduri was almost uncertain about it. Gilgamesh himself was always on the warpath, but the Queen of Knights didn't seem to be the type. As far as she'd handled the requests coming in, everything she'd offered had been fair with little gripping. Even a few innovative fixes had been offered in the interim. Perhaps this was something to see. "As you wish, my Queen. I will make that request. The Pharaohs and the Queen of Saints will arrive after sunrise. And your Knights will be at the newly coined training grounds at their usual time as well..." she said carefully. "Fine. I will work through this night for the sake of making headway but I will take rest tomorrow," said Artoria. She was not the absolute workaholic Gilgamesh was, she knew better than to work herself to death.

At the same time, after watching a moment too long of Artoria sitting atop Gilgamesh's throne, Ishtar descended into the Underworld. She would be standing before Gilgamesh wherever he was in her new ensemble, seeking both praise and vindication. She would offer him an out to this place, and in exchange he would make sure the boy-queen never sat in her spot again. "Rejoice! I have come to save you... that you might remove that boy-queen from my throne and worship me properly!" said Ishtar. Yes... she was exactly this sort of person Ishtar was. She'd dressed newly for him, she wished to be inspected and praised, and he would definitely do what she wished after gazing upon her newly dressed form.

By the time Ishtar finished angrily observing the actions of Artoria Pendragon, Gilgamesh had passed through the deepest darkness of the Underworld. Torches that should have been blue, were now green around him. Souls that should have been lamenting their fate, were now writhing in agony while undergoing the most brutal cleansing. This was the land of mankind's worst. How fitting it was that Ishtar would appear only when Gilgamesh perused this section. "H'oh? Have I finally gone mad enough to hallucinate?" he wondered aloud, sparing no curiosity about his own state of mind. That little getup was different, but there was no mistaking Ishtar even if one could not see her face. Ah, but her face was no less annoying to look at than it always was. Who gave her permission to stand before him again, and here of all places? He should have prioritized the breaking of that damned link.

Alas, what Ishtar declared during her arrival was something of interest indeed. She'd come to... save him? Did that moronic wench truly have knowledge he did not? The thought of that was infuriating on its own, but there was further mention of some boy-queen sitting atop "her" throne. So, Artoria Pendragon had risen? Good. Nevertheless, now was a time to... regrettably, deal with Ishtar existing in front of him. "You, save me? And what ability do you purport to possess, that you might free another of Irkalla when you, yourself, were once held by its firmest clutches? Speak quickly, for time is short, and my patience is shorter."

Those writhing in agony on this level were hardly worth a secondary glance from a Goddess known as Ishtar. Obviously, their bad life choices had nothing to do with her. Instead she would focus her attention on the one thing in the world worth it, the King of Heroes and all he had to offer her. Ah, but what was this? He thought he was hallucinating? Why shouldn't he? She was marvelous? "Hahahahaha!~ Fear not, I am real, you might feast your eyes upon my splendor!~" Ishtar's responses were as they would always be. The sort of thing done because she was easily flattered and lived off attention. Oh, he wanted to know how she was going to help him? And his patience was low? Obviously it would be, he was in a rush to reclaim his throne and serve, as he always would. "Well, I was once in the situation. I am aware of how one can leave without Kur having to allow it. You were made a judge, so you can take hold of the grains and waters of life. Sprinkling them on your body will allow you resistance to the hands that would drag you back into the clutches of death. And if you take them for yourself he Gallu will not follow," she said with superiority in her visage. "Hahaha!~ So, see... it is I, the glorious Ishtar who will be the reason you can leave this wretched place. You may carry us both out now... and sing my praises freely!" she said. Yes, in rushing down here she'd forgotten the only way she'd get out of the Underworld would be to go by similar methods. Or she'd have to die and lost some other piece of herself in the process. But surely Gilgamesh was ready to serve, and being just her type she'd reward him.

Meanwhile Artoria Pendragon worked through the night. When darkness settled in Uruk, she could be much more relaxed. No longer dying of heat exhaustion, she was even having a cup of wine as she read through and gave instructions for tablets. And then when she felt like it was necessary she would question Siduri while she read. "Do you not sleep, Blessed Wine-Maker?" she asked which made Siduri smile. "It isn't as much a necessity for me. I take rest when I need to or when I am released to, but I do wish to make sure you settle well first," she said to Artoria. A small smirk came to the lips of the Queen of Knights. This woman was amazing. Perhaps whenever she came across it, she'd make sure she received an increase in her wages, or a bonus of some sort? Whatever the case she definitely required a lot of credit for keeping this place running while her sovereign was missing. "I will allow this extra diligence, but do not over do it. If you feel tired, you are free to take leave... make sure Medusa knows the same. I will not overwork anyone," she said as she finished yet another tablet. Full dozens of stacks had been sorted handled and moved into storage. But at the same time more would be pouring in. After a while, 16 hours of work, Artoria stood. "You could have your breaks now if you wish. I am going to stretch my limbs and my Knights should be arriving shortly. I'll return within five hours, in time to greet the Pharaohs, and the Queen of Saints." she said as she reached over and picked up Excalibur. She slung it over her right shoulder gripping it with the same hand as she headed out to begin her own exercises that she always took up before training began properly.

Page 71 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast