Page 76 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

This woman who spoke of Enkidu's friend and brother was... interesting, to say the least. She spoke of Gilgamesh in a way Enkidu themselves did, via some strange blend of companionship, adoration and... general annoyance at the king's antics. How dare he keep himself from the friendship of others? Who then would look upon that bright star, and see the man Enkidu had seen all those years ago? From the sound of things, perhaps there was one other who could... and maybe even did. Calling herself a queen, sitting atop Uruk's throne in Gilgamesh's absence, who was she truly? Enkidu would wonder if this woman was Gilgamesh's own queen, but there were more pressing matters to deal with. Luckily, others had rallied behind that glorious king of men. Enkidu could smile happily with at least that much solace, though that alone was not quite enough. Gilgamesh had never suffered when assembling others, whether armies or workers─ even if his earliest methods were beyond questionable. "That is a good thing. But..." Enkidu thought to ask this woman, what of herself? She spoke of Gilgamesh differently when compared to others during Enkidu's own life, bar... well, Enkidu. There was something beyond platonic companionship there, whether camaraderie of the souls or union of the bodies.

Ah, but the saddest tale had not yet been told. It did not seem Enkidu was truly here, and alive. Were they just a pile of memories tucked away in a bitter shell of almost-flesh? They would be seen lowering the hand from their face, staring into slightly trembling palm with that cracked smile of laughter and tears of remorse remaining intact. "I see. The earth feels as though hundreds of years have passed since I lay on that bed for those long nights. The way you speak to me... Has my brother not recovered after all this time? Tell me my fear is a false one. Tell me my dear brother, my king and my wielder, does not still mourn. Tell me these words, for I cannot face him as only a copy of myself. You see... my brother despises things that are fake. If I am not truly Enkidu, his brother, then I cannot take his side again."

That was good. It was, Artoria found she carried great faith in the others of Chaldea, including Siduri and Medusa. She'd even found herself a bit more tolerant of Rim-Sin of Nippur in the last couple of weeks. He was a fairly agreeable man in spite of the way he chose to address Gilgamesh when he required things. Of course, Artoria realized there had to be more questions, especially after she answered his about the state of his being. He was quite right, Gilgamesh was intolerant of copies or fakes. He might willing make an exception for this particular man, but they seemed to be similar in their understanding. If one wouldn't want to own a fake, the other wouldn't want to be one either. The tears he showed were so truthful in the moment that Artoria took a deep breath, she thought of how best to explain the current state of the King of Heroes to someone who'd known him before. "One of the women I trust the most, says recovery is something that happens not as one but in stages... one may not always be alright but one can be more often than not," she said paraphrasing gently words she'd heard from Galahad. "Those words may not set you at ease enough though, so perhaps instead of words like that I could share a tale?" she made the offer strange though it was, and Jeanne took a seat wondering if her sister was about to put on a rendition of the story they'd heard from the small child by the statue of the very person who now stood before them. "I know of the journey of the King of Heroes, after your time at his side had ended. I know how he came to be the man that stood before me in the Holy Grail War, it was a part of his epic. And I know how I... came to understand him," she explained seeming to gain a bit of a nostalgic air around her. Jeanne looked at her sister. It seemed to the Queen of Saints, that her elder sister was doing her best to be understanding to someone she knew the King of Heroes loved and trusted. It may not be obvious to others, but to her, there was nothing clearer. Her normally emotionally unavaliable sister was willingly telling a story wrapped up in her own emotions for the sake of someone else. That was progress was it not?

Progress indeed. Just the same, this would be progress in Enkidu's understanding of the reality they'd been summoned into. There was nothing that could ease this one's troubled soul at present, but knowledge of times missed would give some insight to their brother's state of being now. From earth came an armchair, risen beneath the seated Jeanne d"Arc; she did not have to sit uncomfortably on the ground. Another rose behind Artoria herself, and Enkidu stepped just a bit closer. There was certainly an interest in this story, but even more interest in the woman who would be telling it. "You keep saying King of Heroes. In life, my brother was the Hero, but I know not what this title means," Enkidu stated, not yet realizing that they had also acquired such a title just before their final moments. "Share with me this epic, and your understanding of my dear brother. Even if I am only a replica of a broken tool, I wish to hear the tale with these ears."

Jeanne had been seated on the ground. She wasn't the type to be uncomfortable doing so, both she and her sister had been through worse in training in their original lives, even so the providing of an armchair was something she welcomed happily after it sprouted beneath her. "Aww, he gave us a chair! That's awesome. I really like this one~" she exclaimed but that was simply how Hoshimi Emi was. Ever likeable and capable of liking other people. Seeing such happiness on her face, made Artoria smile truly at her antics. "You are so absolutely and childishly kind, Emi..." she said shaking her head ever so gently. "Still, I thank you as well," Artoria sat in the way she'd become accustom since being in this new dress in Uruk. Right leg over left at the knee arm casually draped across her sword as she took a break from battle to explain. It seemed the first thing that needed explaining was titling in this world. "Ah, I see... the title King of Heroes, is one bestowed by the world. He has it likely because he was the first to show heroic deeds. Both myself and my little sister have also committed heroic deeds so we are also titled as heroes," she said firmly. "But we are also titled on our own. I am the Queen of Knights, because the King of Heroes cannot shut up when he sees the future, and she is Queen of Saints as named by the Holy Grail," she said once again nodding in her younger sister's direction. Jeanne took a minute to think about it as well and added something important. "Also, you have to be a Hero as well. My grail specifically summons those who the world has recognized as heroes, those who have done heroic acts. You wouldn't be here now if you weren't one too. The cards are Heroic Spirits... literally," she said offering a smile to the green haired being who'd sat for a tale. There was one more thing, which seemed to hit Artoria's ear the wrong way, and that was the reference this being had for themselves as a broken tool, "Even broken tools have use, I used a broken copy of Excalibur about two weeks ago to slay the White Titan. I would tell you anything I could you wish to know..." she said meaning that sentiment. It was not often in life one got to greet someone so important to someone else...

Moving on from that point. Artoria would clear her throat and start her tale. Explaining how, after Enkidu's death, his own epic spoke of him being afraid of death. She told the tale of his long walk to Mount Mashuu, in search of a way to get to Utnapishtim. She told him how the story says he approached 'man-scorpion' and his 'mate' at the base the mountain and was allowed to pass.

"When he had gone one league, the darkness became thick around him, for there was no light; he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him.

After two leagues the darkness was thick and there was no light; he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him.

After three leagues the darkness was thick, and there was no light; he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him.

After four leagues the darkness was thick and there was no light; he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him.

At the end of five leagues, the darkness was thick and there was no light; he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him.

At the end of six leagues, the darkness was thick and there was no light; he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him.

When he had gone seven leagues, the darkness was thick and there was no light; he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him.

When he had gone eight leagues, Gilgamesh gave a great cry... for the darkness was thick and there was no light; he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him.

After nine leagues, he felt the north wind on his face, but the darkness was thick and there was no light; he could see nothing ahead and nothing behind him.

After ten leagues, the end was near.

After eleven leagues, the dawn light appeared.

At the end of twelve leagues, the sun streamed out."

She said these words and had to stop herself from scoffing. Why were there so many lines on this point? Who needed to read all of this. A point of frustration made her brows furrow. Still she went on. Explaining how the King of Heroes hunted for himself, wore lions pelts and ate meat he killed. How he did not sleep but worked and worked until he met Siduri. She explained their meeting How they'd come to be companions on his journey. She told the tale all wrapped up about how Siduri ended up with him. About how he failed his test for immortality by sleeping for seven days after he needed to only stay awake for seven more. And then, how he was given the consolation prize he had to work to get. How he finally tasted success until while bathing a snake slithered up and stole it. She had told the ups and downs of this man's tale and how he'd ended up going on a journey and not getting anything he'd hoped for, how he'd laughed at his own misfortune before trying to head back to his city. "But then he ended up involved in the Second Holy Grail War," she said giving pause. That matter was one from her own perspective, it would require more thought to tell.

Enkidu awaited a single thing: the tale of what took place during their time away from the living world. Instead, there had to be a segue in response to some commentary about being a broken tool. Artoria was an unexpectedly kind individual, they thought. How someone like this became associated with Gilgamesh was a mystery, but because that happened at all, Enkidu felt some modicum of satisfaction. Moreover, Enkidu was apparently a hero as well. Had this happened after death? Perhaps it happened just before, during the slaying of Gugalanna when they chose to fight for the people, instead of merely being utilized as Gilgamesh saw fit. Either of those things made sense. The latter was the truth, but Enkidu had been a bit preoccupied with their impending demise, and hadn't noticed the world granting a title. "I guess that makes me the second Hero then, does it? Ahaha! I hope it truly was because I threw that thing at Ishtar. That would be the best."

And so, the story was shared. Enkidu did not create a chair for themselves, choosing instead to sit on the ground and listen. From the sound of things, Gilgamesh's journey for the key to immortality had been longer than their time spent together in this world. Why? Why did that stupid king do so much in a time of mourning? "Fool," Enkidu murmured. None of that story was truly surprising, though it was... saddening. Enkidu had been taken from their brother, and that very same brother had been allowed no reprieve by the world at large afterwards. To think, he couldn't even use that unwavering resolve to turn the tide of fate as he normally did. Regardless, there was more to the story. This Second Holy Grail War was something Artoria mentioned briefly before. That seemed to be the point where her path and Gilgamesh's converged, and presumably involved the other woman as well. Enkidu sat with crossed legs, holding their ankles like an innocent child in anticipation. "Ignoring my brother resigning himself to a few centuries of idiocy, I wish I could console him. This Holy Grail War you speak of; what took place there?"

The second hero? Enkidu thought themselves to be that, and by Artoria and Jeanne's approximations it was likely true. As for his hopes of his achieved heroism Artoria at the very least, hoped it was true given all the thing posing as a goddess had been known to do. The sound of their laughter in a moment like this was heartwarming. Artoria was glad to be able to share such a moment with this one. "I hope that was the case. I do not like that... being, and find her detestable," Artoria was careful to avoid breaking her own chivalrous nature, but Ishtar for a person she'd never seen was one of few she could honestly and unabashedly hate. She knew however that the information regarding Gilgamesh's travels would likely not be 'good' but it would be good to hear with the entire picture of his rise coming up, she needed Enkidu to understand fully what his friend had been through, though she didn't understand how to properly explain her place in it. Still even though Gilgamesh had done something very stupid by Enkidu's own approximation he wished to console him. The smile on Artoria's face did not fade, how would she speak on the Holy Grail War? Well, truthfully and while explaining the nature of the grail itself.

"The Holy Grail War was a gathering of seven. One each of a class of individual, all vying for the ability to take control of a wish granting cup. I did not know it was to appear. If I am being honest, my mentor in life, is a mage I cannot stand the sight of named Merlin. After I spent years fighting the Saxons, rebelling against my uncle's rule and reuniting my kingdom by force, he took me there telling me something good would happen if I went," she said carefully. "And when I arrived, I caught sight of my little sister for the first time in decades. She wanted the cup, to make a wish to create Holy Knights for the betterment of the world. We grew up on the level below, we did not know of this place at all... until the first time a nation rose, and that was Egypt with the Pharaohs," she gave the background because it was important. "I am a big sister, and for my little sister there is nothing I will not do. She said she wanted the cup and I would not fight against her... so we took to battle together. Like old times," she explained of their work. "But before we could even choose our target, an enemy was felled. I was shocked, I am normally the type to do such a thing, finding out someone else was that ready for battle was exciting," Artoria explained with wide eyes. Her own story being told by her own words had no embellishments but all the glee of a warlord worked into their tomes. "We fought the Berserker, a giant man with hulking muscles brute strength and speed. And I felled him once as a warmup but he had more than one life," she said acknowledging the situation. "And while we were preparing our return strategy, that golden armored..." there was a pause as she tried not to swear to avoid her sister screaming at her again. "Jerk... showed up and decided to claim we were fighting over his cup. His cup. He did not even know what it was, he just claimed that all the world's treasures were his and decided to live on that hill. Even after we kindly explained that since his kingdom was already above, he had no use for it..." she explained. Artoria was strangely animated for this portion and her sister, could only snicker a bit. "Eri-nee took exception to that." Jeanne decided to embellish a bit because it was funny to remember how very feisty her sister was when the King of Heroes showed up.

There was one thing these two could agree on above anything else, it seemed. Both found Ishtar detestable, though Enkidu would eventually come to know the difference in reason for this belief. Something was strange about the way this woman addressed Ishtar, though. That being? Such a phrase was so forced, Enkidu could feel the tension of restraint in her body through the earth. Enkidu decided to take the liberty of fixing things. "Malkin," they said, offering an alternative word they believed would not upset this woman's preferred speech pattern. Whatever her reason for sticking to it, she obviously held firm, considering how much it must take anyone to speak even that nicely about Ishtar.

Talk of this Holy Grail War came with a brief summation of history regarding Artoria Pendragon as well. Good. Enkidu had been just as curious, if not more so, about her in general as of the past few moments. As the story reached the war itself, Enkidu could almost imagine it fully. They could see their brother rampaging through a battle of seven, being a general annoyance to all in his path, all for a thing he had no use of. That part of the story was particularly amusing, given the way Artoria addressed the king, and the fact that he was so set on acquiring a useless object. Enkidu snickered behind a sleeve-covered hand. "Forgive my brother. I doubt he even remembers, but collecting treasures is the job he was born for as the Wedge of Heaven. He has no use for any of it, but as he grew from boy to man, he continued amassing valuables more out of spite for the gods than to fulfill his duty. He even began throwing them carelessly at me when I stood against him..." A few moments of reminiscence passed through Enkidu's mind while sharing this age-old information, but there was one oddity in the queen's tale. This woman had obviously come to blows with Gilgamesh, and the realization of what that meant was beginning to show itself as shock and interest on Enkidu's face. Once before, King Gilgamesh met his match. That equal was Enkidu themselves, who became the king's companion for all time. The fact that this woman, Artoria Pendragon, stood before Enkidu to tell this story... "Ho. You were not defeated. That is... different."

Enkidu seemed to be, just as fruitful for giving information as Artoria was herself in this situation. A grin crossed the Queen of Knights face as she was provided with a word she found easier to use than the swears she knew. "Assuming that means what I think it does, I shall add it to my vocabulary... finding polite ways to refer to detestable existences gives me a headache. I have had to do so far too often of late," Artoria admitted. She could see herself befriending the man before her. It was a nice thought. She found herself bearing the hope that there was actually a way to restore this man to his legitimate place in the world. Moreover he claimed that Gilgamesh likely didn't remember why he was collecting things to start with, and it had to do with his original title as Wedge of Heaven which meant it was originally a task given to him by the gods whom he detested. Enkidu wished the man forgiven for that, and Artoria pouted like a child at the thought, while her sister could only laugh.

"Eri-nee, was no such thing. She also has a problem I am sure you understand by now~" she said with a wide grin. She was here, egging on the story. Artoria sat up straight. "I did not fall in combat to such an audacious man with his ridiculous statements," she said her arms crossed over her chest. She'd returned to her unarmored state for the duration of this story, she felt no desire to protect herself in a moment like this. It was more like two new friends freely catching up. "I told him if he wanted cup he'd have to wait his turn. That the first one was claimed by the Pharaohs of Egypt. That the second belonged to her, and I would make sure it reached her hands. And I told him the third would belong to me. No exceptions," Artoria explained. This story was still animated as it always was. "And do you know what that ridiculous man then did? He laid claim to me!!" she said feeling somehow both endearing and annoyed at the same time. "I am a sovereign Queen of an entire nation, I brought to heel with my own sword and this man thought to claim me as a treasure most precious. What kind of ridiculous proposal was that supposed to be," she said with a frown. "And Eri-nee took exception to that," the Queen of Saints offered. "So I fought him. And while I did he questioned my choices in life and my own desires. I did not have much to offer as an explanation, but I told my little sister that cup was hers and she would have it," she said a wistful smile appearing on her face. "That battle was the greatest fun I had in ages. A thrill comparable to the slaying of the Dragon Vortigern. Even though he randomly threw all his clothes off in the middle like that was a thing to do in a fight. Still, I requested he redress himself as it is against my honor to fight a man so vulnerable. And the battle carried on... And I won!" she said that sentence with such pride. It was absolutely a win worth being proud over. With no understanding of the King of Heroes. Without knowing all he possessed she'd bested him in combat. "But he confused me. Most who fall to me in combat curse me... claim revenge, I have even had tales spread around about my being some sort of giant because no one wants to admit they were bested in combat by a tiny woman," she said with a small smirk appearing on her lips. "But when it was all said and done, he titled me Queen of Knights and offered no violence in return for what had been an exceptional defeat. He treated me as if I was actually exceptional... who does that?" she asked her own emotional state at the moment became clear to Jeanne and she now understood the part that came next in the story. "So when he finally fell, and lay bleeding on the ground at my feet, I hesitated to finish the job. Was it worth ending his life when the fight had been fun? Would I regret letting such an annoying and arrogant man live?" she posed these questions as if her own tale was epic. And maybe it was by virtue of her connection to him during it. "I decided to step over him, told the wine-maker to heal him and keep him out of my sight. Asked the Rider if she wished to oppose me... she did not, and that is how I won a Holy Grail for my little sister. And the first time I encountered the King of Heroes," she said with nostalgia hiding in her face. "Eri-nee, you are still good at telling bedtime stories. You gotta tell them the next part, it's really important!" said Jeanne looking just as innocent and child like as Enkidu himself.

"It is... one of the best descriptions one can give to the goddess Ishtar, yes," Enkidu confirmed without delving into the specific meaning of the offered word. As far as they were concerned, there was no need to go into detail. It was a far more flowery term than what Enkidu would have once used, naturally picked up from Gilgamesh's eccentric mannerisms when speaking about anything.

Speaking of the way Gilgamesh spoke about things, it seemed he had a few very interesting ways of addressing the woman telling this story. Greater than the shock of hearing of their brother's defeat, was the fact that he laid claim to the alleged Queen of Knights. Enkidu's eyes widened as they glanced over the woman. She certainly didn't compare to the women Gilgamesh had been seen taking to his chambers during Enkidu's lifetime. "How strange. You don't seem his type at all," they stated, recalling the more curvaceous nature of women once commonly seen around the king. With that, Enkidu's eyes shifted toward the other woman among this group. "She does. But... you defeated him. Maybe that had something to do with it? Or maybe... my brother's journey changed him immensely." There were a great many things to think of. One couldn't be certain what Gilgamesh saw in this woman, but Enkidu had become entranced by the idea of finding out. Besides, someone who could defeat Gilgamesh should be more than capable of assisting with a slight problem the living weapon was having. How could such a thing happen, though? Enkidu could not imagine their brother being at the mercy of anyone. In time, a few discoveries would be made. There was reason to believe the story was at its end, so Enkidu stood... only for the sister of his storyteller to imply another part to the tale. "Haah? There's more? Shall I assume this involves the third war you spoke of?"

"I do not have words enough to describe, without being chided by that one..." she said pointing to Jeanne. The Queen of Saints huffed and settled back into her chair. "You know you shouldn't be swearing..." said Jeanne. "You know that is a strange sticking point to have, considering..." Artoria pointed out. There was the tiniest bit of hypocrisy in the Queen of Saints who was named a saint but carried on in ways most would consider sacrilege. Artoria herself had no problem with it, her sister was a saint and deserved to be acknowledged as such by all, but her propensity for limiting the Queen of Knights colorful language choices was admittedly in her way.

Whatever the case, it seemed Enkidu retained Artoria's own disbelief in the idea that he'd chosen to pursue her over someone like her sister. "No one is more confused by such a thing than me. I did not even consider myself a girl until he decided it was necessary to assault my entire understanding of myself with that knowledge," said Artoria. Such a thing made the Queen of Saints laugh aloud. "That isn't true, Eri-nee. He has always liked you... he was not calling out for my attention when seeing us play together before," she said succinctly. This was true. Artoria had recently admitted rather shamelessly to the King of Heroes, that she'd thought about murdering him in their previous life for his audacity when she'd thought his interest was in her younger sister. When it was obvious to Emi that he was not at all interested in her, Hoshimi Eri simply ignored him not understanding how she could be anyone's choice. "That life was so far away, and you are too trusting," Artoria said to her younger sister. Of course, having spoken to the King of Heroes she was certain that this was the case, and that he liked her specifically for reasons she still could not get. But of the extra bit of this story she could only shrug. "I won the Third Holy Grail war on my own," she said with a casual shrug. The same way she spoke of ending the counterfeit king earlier, it was simply factual. "He showed up after but that was for different reasons," such a sentence was almost evasive. Jeanne took note and her brows wiggled at her elder sister. "My sister wishes that I explain to you how I came to understand the King of Heroes being less arrogant and annoying as a person. He took care of arranging her ascension placement after her Holy Grail recovery. He was fair but admittedly busy after leaving the city for so long. I respected him working so hard for his people. And beyond that... He still claimed he wished to marry me. The Goddess of ill-repute, decided she found me threatening, even though I had no such interest in the King of Heroes. She sent a cult of rapists to my kingdom to assault me after I returned. All of whom were slayed. It was at such a time I made a decision that no such person could call themselves a god of anything while even attempting to do such harm to people. Especially not one who claimed to be a woman herself..." she said. "I may have been sleepless and tantrum-throwing and stormed to the King of Heroes for the name of this goddess. I wanted her head, but we do not worship such deities below. What she did was a threat to all... I am a warrior, but if she assumed to do such to me who could easily fight anyone from this level, what was she doing to those who could not? I heard from him directly his understanding of the situation and his tales of you. At face value we cannot get along, but he is so certain and honest I find it difficult to hate him," she said carefully. "I may have challenged him on not pointing me in the direction of the woman I wished to kill and he may have bested me in combat at such an interval. But he looked after me and respected my resolve on the point. Afterwards, I destroyed every temple of Ishtar in Mesopotamia with the King of Heroes claiming he would allow my rambunctious behavior... we technically bonded over our shared distaste for that creature." Artoria explained.

She stood then, stretching testing the healing of that wound on her person and finding it perfectly healed up. And even the dress restored by her mana. Good. It would be unseemly to be injured as such. Artoria figured this man would want to fight eventually and she'd meet that challenge though she was admittedly unsure of her own victory in this case. Something about the man Enkidu felt dangerous even to her. She was not sure what it was, but she was almost certain she could spare no skill and no weapon in her arsenal to defeat him.

Page 76 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast