Page 78 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

Oh? What interesting news. This woman had faced Gilgamesh at least twice in her own tale, yet she had never been ensnared by these chains. Interesting though it was, it was... not incredibly surprising to Enkidu. Gilgamesh was never truly required to wield Enkidu, and they doubted he had much need to do so since those times. Speaking of time, that was a concept Enkidu would not be allowing. Artoria may have thought it in her best interest to test any ability to free herself from the Chains of Heaven, and perhaps it would have been possible. Alas, Enkidu also didn't use these chains for the same purpose as Gilgamesh. They were made specifically to bind Gilgamesh, but became a weapon for his use. Why then, would they not simply be a weapon now? Binding was too finite. While Artoria was flexing against the chains, those same chains were being tightened as Enkidu swung them about. The simple aim was to slam Artoria into the ground several meters ahead. At the same time, the chains would be pulled for leverage to fling Enkidu in the same direction. In the wake of that slam, the chains would naturally become loose enough for Artoria to work her way out of, but Enkidu was closing in quickly. From just overhead, they would aim to whip the grounded Artoria with the other chain. If she managed to escape, the strength of impact on the ground would be kicking up quite the dust cloud liable to obscure vision; that was just another thing considered by Enkidu during this approach.

Artoria was coming to a realization in these moments. The reason that Enkidu felt himself only a weapon and the reason Hoshimi Eri considered herself a weapon were the same reason. Both were exceedingly good at doing the thing they were good at without cease and had nothing but power to offer in the face of new challenges. Even though she was bound, this was no mere session of play, he would keep attacking and keep abusing well past this simple method of capture. Admittedly, he did not seem very surprised by the knowledge that Gilgamesh had not managed to capture Artoria while using his physical form. Artoria had the chains tighten against her, 'This will hurt,' she braced herself for a slam several meters away but in the immediate moment after her body slammed into the ground a burst of invisible air from her very person allowed her to immediately free herself and flip over launching herself out of the way of the coming whip from above. She knew better than to stand in a singular place for too long against something which would keep attacking regardless. The ground was being shaken up by the coming dust, Artoria would swing that shining sword of hers up into the air, to bring it down immediately after using the pressure of the sword swing to clear out the space in front of her. She'd been bashed against the ground by that was healing. Her armor had long since repaired itself of the original damage. After clearing the dust out before her she was smiling across the battlefield and laughing. "Heheh--Hahahahaha!~" she laughed nearly hysterically even after being tossed around like a literal ragdoll. She was grinning at Enkidu her body prepared for either attack or defense at this point. Why? Because she understood now what needed to be done. "Emi, return to Uruk and tell Siduri, the Queen is on a walk... Enjoy your time. I shall return!" she said.

Jeanne had watched her sister face off against this monster of a being and wondered if she was okay. And her reply made her both smile and cringe. Especially after watching her get tossed around so easily. "I... Fine, but I think I am worried that she already knows about your walks... but you are obviously having fun and I can't deny you that," the Queen of Saints said. "It was nice meeting you," she offered to Enkidu. She'd then sprout a pair of energy wings turn and fly off. Her sister had ended the real threat, and was now having a bit of fun. She couldn't deny this woman anything she wanted to do, and in truth she didn't think she could have fought Enkidu herself. Yeah, the Queen and the Chains of Heaven would be left to their battle without any further onlooking. How long would the Queen's walk take this time?

How long would the Queen of Knights' "walk" take? Well, Enkidu would be no stranger to combat that lasted days upon days. He'd previously fought Gilgamesh for seven days and seven nights, with only three being recorded in history. The excitement on Artoria's face was matched by an equally twisted grin on the face of Enkidu, and that alone let them know this battle would not end the same day it began. Jeanne d'Arc parted ways with the pair with kindness to offer in her final statement. Alas, Enkidu was suffering a severe case of tunnel vision for numerous reasons.

The passage of time saw the sun fall, then rise, then fall again. On the second night of combat, Enkidu jettisoned themselves through the sky above, spinning like a drill as chains from their sleeves lashed out. Even from many meters in the sky, the movement of chains was expansive enough to directly shred the ground below with each movement. It seemed Enkidu thought to pass over Artoria, endangering her and the battlefield itself. Based on Enkidu's former experiences that now included this battle, there was widespread destruction. One would already fail to recognize the location of these two based on existing memory, and things would only get worse moving forward. "Tell me. Is this the power that defeated my king?" Enkidu wondered aloud. Something was still quite off. At no point thus far had they seen a display that thwarted themselves or the memory of King Gilgamesh. There were some very interesting showings of ability, but a more important feature was notably missing. Time would tell, they figured. . .

Artoria's walk so far had been been from one day through the next. She was having a good time, periodically dodging and attacking. Searching for an opening that wasn't presented. Enkidu was without question an absolute monster. Never did she have the chance to properly charge her attack and never would she have asked for the ability to do so. To call upon the power of Excalibur was to evoke victory in its truest form, before now it wasn't obvious how she would try and take such a victory. But with Enkidu over head and her a little bit of time she could make it. Besides, the battlefield was already scarred beyond belief what was a bit more... "EX-" the charge began and invisible air was shattered around the blade as light gathered from all around. The ground before her quaked as the energy gathered at the tip of the blade marred all that was in front of it. Hopes and dreams, filled this blade even as her skin felt the start of a sting. But for many Excalibur cemented the idea of victory, it showed a claim of glory and in the hands of the Queen of Knights it crystalized her Knightly qualities turning them into power in its purest form. He was passing over? He was in strike range. "CALIBUR!!" A proclamation as she lifted the sword at the moment he would have been overhead, swinging and expansive burst of one of the oldest mysteries of mankind. And in this way it was used to knock off course, the power of that weapon and aim to give Artoria the freedom to answer his question. "Excalibur felled the King of Heroes, along with his arrogance..." she said. That now visible and shining sword in her hands she did not cover it once more. She let its shining blade remain.

Right. This wasn't the same as her own. She did not have to wait so long to charge it. Perhaps she'd have a few better uses of it before the end?

Excalibur. Enkidu heard that word before, during Artoria's battle against the false Gilgamesh. The sword she wielded was a shining beacon possessing great power indeed. That very power was being launched upward toward the living weapon as they spun, but they did not seem anything beyond intrigued. This was the thing that defeated Enkidu's friend? It was mighty, yes, but it also seemed somewhat on the basic side. How was a finishing blow landed?

While this was being considered, Enkidu spun once more. Their body began to glow as they flew downward, circling around the wave and just nearly touching it along the way. "Enuma..." A phrase this woman heard once before, would be used by Enkidu with a very different effect. Multiple chain links emerged from beneath Enkidu's cloak, converging on their body until they, and the chains, became one giant chain with a spike to match. It looked similar to a star descending to Earth, shining its own light around Excalibur's until it eventually reached the ground where Artoria stood. "Elish!" In the moment of collision, the difference between two techniques that shared a name became clear. Enkidu was a weapon made to restrain the divine. Naturally, they were bound to physically become that weapon at some point. Its truest form, even while not incanted, bore the power to puncture the world and stitch it back together. In landing, it could restrain a thousand targets within a thousand meters, as any explosion to be expected from such an impact was instead the materialization of endless glowing chains.

Enuma Elish. An attack that Artoria had seen used by the King of Heroes. The same he'd used to assist her as she felled the white titan, an epic power which seemed to match her own in destructive capabilities to a great extent. The smile on her face in response to this showing was nothing short of pure glee. Unlike the previous version the swirling winds that broke apart the world, this one looked like a shooting star twisting around that pillar of light that had been launched into the air by Excalibur. That grip had changed in the meantime as she kept her eyes peeled. He had to land and she'd follow it and in that moment she'd strike. That giant spear tip that began Enkidu landed on the ground before her and in the second before the thousands of chains erupted she launched herself forward with enough speed and moment to aim a decisive strike. If such a thing occurred against that large spear tip, it would be immediately followed by an outcry quickly "EXCALIBUR!" she cried as if it was her intent to blast this even in weapon form with all the power she had to offer in just a second. This was Artoria Pendragon, moving forward, and aiming to seize victory, even from a weapon. Besides, it was not like she had a limit to the number of times she could commit the attack, the only limit was charge time and that much wasn't needed if one had a decent enough range to give.

The primary chain struck ground, as did all others. The impact alone would shake the continent floating in the sky multiple times over. In that same moment of impact, Enkidu would discover precisely how valiant the one called Artoria Pendragon was. Excalibur slammed against the spearhead, releasing the most potent burst of light Enkidu had seen thus far. While the other chains were appearing and striking the surrounding area, the primary spearhead saw a crack begin at the point of impact with Excalibur. That very crack lengthened and spread like branches of a tree, passing through the spearhead from one end to the other. There would be a shattering, but not quite. Enkidu could easily return to form, and so, they did. At the top of the light arc was soon the top of Enkidu's humanoid body, almost as if they were emerging from the wave itself. Their head, torso and outstretched right arm were visible, the latter of which had its hand mere inches from Artoria's face. Other chains of Enuma Elish were still produced as normal, and from Enkidu's sleeve came one more aimed right between Artoria's eyes.

In the meantime, Enkidu may have been without legs and half of their other arm. That didn't seem to matter at all. There was no blood from wounds, but instead cracks branching out from the point of severance. Enkidu was more closely related to a doll than a human, and there was even more to it than that. Well... that information would reveal itself in a matter of moments. For the time being, Enkidu's primary concern was still simply attacking. It was becoming clear why Gilgamesh had taken an interest in this woman; she was more powerful than could be expected of humankind. They could compare this output to another work of the gods, if not for the lack of divine attribute. Where though, was the aspect of romanticism that had Gilgamesh lay claim to this woman? Perhaps another thing was required to unveil it. . .

Artoria was stunned. The very continent was shaking. Was this always the power of the weapon known as Enkidu? She could easily see why when raised alone up on this upper level, when one thought the rest of mankind beneath them, why this one being in the entire world became the only friend of the King of Heroes. That spear tip body had shattered under the pressure of Excalibur but Artoria had been fighting this weapon for quite a while now, she understood that the overwhelming might she always showed simply wasn't enough. It had been fun but this one wanted an honorable death and she thought to provide it. After all it had shown, after all it had done, for standing at the side of the man who took interest in her when she did not have interest in herself... it was the least she could do. 'No backing down...' her mind was chanting.

After the biggest hit she'd mustered yet, Enkidu's body began reforming, an arm with a chain aimed directly between her eyes. He was so close, what would she do? Well? The same thing he'd done to her, in a moment with his torso back together, she saw the ability to clutch a victory, even if it cost her an injury it'd be worth taking to give this man the honorable end he so rightly sought. From this stance in a near instant she just pulled back after ducking under the chain which would have been in the middle of her face but instead found itself flying past her face and over her shoulder. She used both hands to push forward and she aimed to lodge that blade right where the heart would have been. Whether a doll or a weapon she only needed to find the spiritual core of this being to kill it and given its humanoid form she knew where it should be. If she succeeded in this maneuver her blade would be lodged within the core of his being. Would it bring them to a standstill? If it did she was well within the danger zone given the fact that Enkidu never really stopped attacking. She could only wonder... "It has been an honor, to face a smiling and terrifying opponent. So strong is the one called Enkidu, I understand why you are his only friend..." she said as she continued to push, with both hands around the hilt of her weapon to drive it home. "I am usually quite certain of my victory only you... and my King of Heroes show me such absolute defiance," If mankind did not know how far they could go, it would be her to show them. Artoria would take a step forward to force the sword more if she had to, she would do this because it truly was no fun if she did not claim her victory here and now.

It was an honor, was it? How very... final. Very sure of herself was the Queen of Knights, yet the moment she moved under his chain was the moment of shifting tides. Enkidu was without an arm or either leg, but well within striking distance with the one limb they had. No strike would come. There was, however, a use for that singular hand. They were too similar in their methods. Too similar as well, was this battle to the first Enkidu had with their brother. Breathing room was something inconceivable in such a battle; it could neither be taken nor allowed. In this particular case though, one could say Enkidu's last breath would not be taken either. That hand grasped the queen's shoulder as she shifted her blade for a secondary assault. A pull was all it took. With a hold on that shoulder and a jerk of their own arm, Enkidu launched themselves over the queen's head. After a brief stint of rag-dolling through the air, it seemed Enkidu's missing limbs were recovering at a rapid pace. At the same time, however, the ambient magical energy of the land was draining rapidly. Enkidu landed on two new feet, tunic and all returned to form. They faced Artoria and huffed. Still, there was a wide grin on the weapon's face. "If my strength is the reason I am his only friend... I do wonder. What part of your soul calls to my brother, and what of him calls to you? My time is running short. I must find the answers."

Clearly, the use of chains wasn't going to function forever. Enkidu wasn't quite done, though. Taking a knee, they placed a hand on the ground and let their mana merge with the land itself. "I beg my brother's forgiveness. He may be upset to find out I used this on another," they said as an effect strongly resembling that of Gilgamesh's Divine Gates occurred via the ground in the surrounding area. Hundreds of weapons emerged, sculpted within the earth itself and matching the King of Heroes' own quality of tools. "Age of Babylon!" Enkidu called out, willing several dozen of those conjured weapons forward in an assault on Artoria's location. They could not find the answers through combat of their own preference, so perhaps the answers would come when they fought as the king himself did.

In a moment like this, the part of Artoria that was herself right beneath her surface appeared. Just for a moment, the absolute visage she held cracked just a little. Everything about this moment was right, her instincts said so, her intuition said so, her very movements said so... but she was pulled towards Enkidu her blade not reaching home. He was flipped over her evading what should have been a death. "Shit! This is exactly what I am talking about... defying deaths that I know should work. It is infuriating but..." she gave a pause and thought it over. "Exciting," she said. Oh, right she'd sworn. "Do not tell anyone I said that... I will never hear the end of it," she muttered as she turned once more. She turned to face him once more and thought she meant only his strength. "Not just your strength, though admittedly it outpaces my own. Someone kindred, someone viewed as both irreplaceable and equal... That is how I see you," she explained the truth of her thoughts about how she viewed the relationship between Enkidu and Gilgamesh. Another attack? Something more vicious. Was it actually possible to see this through in the way she was used to doing it?

Maybe not? Perhaps it was time to take a step back and become the reactionary rebellion leader? Perhaps the Almighty Queen had to remember what it was like to face someone insurmountable from time to time? That could be, but truly she did not like to taste defeat. That was the part of her that remained. No failed missions, no failed jobs, no failed quests. Even at a time when playing video games she would restart or rematch when she lost. When she aimed herself towards a challenge she fully intended to overcome it, no matter what the cost. Why did she like Gilgamesh and why did he like her? "I cannot answer a question I do not understand," she said after giving it a bit of thought. These were complicated questions, but what was not complicated was the coming onslaught. "Age of Babylon?" she questioned that with raised brows. Was this man really just created to match with Gilgamesh in some strange way? Yes. Was the answer... as dozens of weapons flew from gates. These were made out of the earth but no less sturdy than those she'd seen from Gilgamesh. She tested this initially by beginning to dance. Swatting a few back, barely missing range of a few others. A couple hit her armor pieces and she felt the rattling against her physical self. "I cannot be so bold as to speak to the King's temperament in such a case, but I can instead sink with you," Artoria made the offer while holding her sword out in front of her person. Chivalrous was the Queen of Knights, offering to get both of them in trouble instead of only one. A glowing and light round and large appeared before her outstretched sword, which she needed both hands to hold out properly. "I will show you something I have not yet shown him," she said a gentle smirk coming to her face. It appeared the winds were kicking up around her, that the space itself was denying any further interference as she chanted the name of a previously unseen skill. "Our Round Table," a phantom showing of swords would occur each placing their sword in turn. These knights and their swords spun around her. A veritable wheel of swords belonging to the Knights who pledged themselves to Artoria Pendragon and sat at her table would be visible for Enkidu alone. Artoria couldn't remember the last time she'd felt it necessary to make use of such a skill, but here she was about to show someone what came of the loyalty of Knights to Artoria Pendragon. At this point, Artoria looked around the table and chose... one of her oldest and dearest Knights the one who helped raise her, the Lady Kay. She spun into place, coming to her back the way she always did as her sword settled on top of this copy of Excalibur. "With me, Olwen..." the power of this skill was a projection of sorts on top of her own sword, making it take the size, shape and properties of a sword sworn to her service. In this case, the sword of the Lady Kay with its ice properties was now held by Artoria in one hand as she swung it around freely. A blade which looked almost to be made of light blue colored jewel with an icy pattern inlaid upon it. It shimmered magically, was lightweight enough to be wielded and small enough not to restrict Artoria's own movements against the hell of projectiles aimed towards her that was 'Age of Babylon'. They could dance and speak freely now, as she moved about the battlefield slamming sword against any weapons she failed to dodge with a speed previously unseen, those emerald green eyes of hers darting about as she kept and eye and ear on her opponent. She needed to close the distance and deal a strike more decisive than those of her previous works.

Page 78 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast