Page 87 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Finis Chaldea

"I disagree. I think it's a wonderful idea, though it could have done with less of that... free will," Enki stated, believing the Holy Sword Excalibur should never have been allowed to touch mortal hands. "If it was made for our sake, it should have been made to answer only to us. Thinking of some human wielding divine tools is repulsive," he continued. Now, it seemed Ishtar would abandon any notion of sending her beasts after Artoria Pendragon. Good; she would have lost them all as quickly as she sent them. Worse yet, she would only bring more attention to them by sending Divine Beasts out into the mortal realm. If they sent a human, however... perhaps they could redirect all blame toward Anu? "I'm sure our chosen champion will be interesting to watch. Worry not. I'll keep my eye on the girl and her development, and we'll give a lucky mortal everything they need to kill her... as long as he still knows who he should be answering to in the end. Would you like to select our champion? It's not something I would mind doing, but I feel I should be ensuring the people of AS-IKU are still breathing and capable of solidifying our power."

Oh? The other persona of the Lake Fairy was still so polite, yet so straightforward as well. She was not upset, she said. She would imprison him because it was necessary, she said. How very ludicrous! "Really now? So you believe the world decided that I, Merlin, should be imprisoned now? It frightens me to even think you could be right, but that doesn't mean I'll stand for it," he said as his hand pressed against that barrier once more. Sadly, there would be nothing he could actually do. It was such an intricate design, he couldn't make heads or tails of it... but he could understand there was a key capable of bursting through every layer he felt. What was that key? He'd find out eventually, but certainly not in time for anything of note to happen. He could even try to break this down layer by layer, but they would certainly repair one another before any headway was made. While he was working his way through the impossibility of this seal, he heard something that would become quite disturbing. Morgan claimed Merlyn would be the one to raise the Future King. In hearing that, it was only natural to experience slight confusion. "Yes, that's the point. I will be..." Ah, a pause. She wasn't talking about him at all. In understanding this world's language, he also had to understand a certain similarity between himself and... "Junko. No, that's completely unreasonable!" he shouted, pressing himself against the barrier as if he desired to push through it physically. "Let me out! I'm Merlin! I'm the one who bears the responsibility of raising Albion's king! Leave her out of this, and release me!"

"Free will isn't the big problem here... at the very least the humans have always had it. Weapons choosing humans over gods though... that sounds like a farce no matter what!" those were the words of Ishtar and she fully believed them. The problem with Artoria Pendragon is that she was a girl. And even if she did not acknowledge or know it, there was a particular power she held over men and eventually that would be a problem. Of course a man like Enki wouldn't realize it, he was the type to fall victim to it. After all, she was here in his bed now, when she'd never done a single thing for him. He did not even realize how important women were, when he'd been the only one to save her when none of the other gods bothered. He'd even split himself with her with nothing to gain other than potentially having her at his side. If any girl was allowed to fully understand the pull she had over men, she could be fa problem. Ishtar believed that, but what was this? She was being offered their choice, and the ability to look out over them instead of anything else? "I am agreeable. I'll pick someone...." she said seeming to think herself capable of such a simple task. Surely it wouldn't actually be that difficult to raise a man capable of beating such a tiny girl. Evil plots were beginning, and they would be in the works for a while yet.

At the same time, Merlin seemed to be arguing his point, and for her part in this Morgan seemed to be listening but that would change nothing. "The world's decision is for the best. We both act as agents of it. You should realize that by now," said Morgan. She was still cordial but there was no changing this outcome. Too many things had already happened. Merlin hadn't realized it just yet, his vision was still clouded around this moment, Morgan's however was crystal clear. "It is already decided! What has come to be has to be for the good of all. For your sister, for you, for my sisters, and my brother. Nothing will change it Merlin. She already decided she was involved you know what your name is... do not pretend to claim responsibility in full now." Morgan's words had emphasis but not hatred. She was not upset with him, but she also seemed to be incapable of comforting him. In order to preserve herself and her mind. She'd given all of her emotions to her other self. She'd separated them completely from her being so she was simply incapable of feeling while she worked through multiple problems. The emotional issues of what she did would be something cleared up later, for now what she did would be for the good of all. "You do not realize what all she has done already. If you are not here... neither of you will be around to raise a King Arthur. Do not misunderstand this Merlin, she has already spun the wheel. Some events are already in motion and they cannot be changed, songs already sung and actions already taken. You cannot break out and I will not release you..." said Morgan exhaling a deep breath. "If you take but a moment to think about it, to look at yourself and her you will understand... why it is necessary," she mentioned. Junko as he called his younger sister, had already applied a curse to herself one which would cause problems in the future. That girl was so sweet and soft and nice, reminding Morgan of their youngest sister, but at the same time, much more prone to self destruction, more so than even than younger sister who planned to live her extended life in Avalon and atone for crimes that were not crimes. Perhaps Merlin would hate her for this choice, perhaps he would come to understand it as his Clairvoyance grew, regardless she did as the world willed. Which is why she wasn't upset about his actions not in the same way that Vivian was... "Hold on to those feelings, Merlin. They may be all you have when you are trying to decide how to take the next step forward." And with that last utterance she turned and began to walk towards the Lake. She had things to do...

"It certainly is," Enki agreed. Weapons choosing humans when there were gods nearby, could only be considered a disgusting thing. Something like Excalibur had no reason to choose some mortal girl when he, the God of War, existed. With Excalibur, Enki could have felled the White Titan by himself, and Velber to boot! He'd be finding out what made this mortal girl a choice over himself, and of course, he would in-turn discover how she could be properly enslaved in the future. Ishtar seemed willing to choose their champion. She could be left to that; she did have some strange fixation with strong mortal men with titles and fixings. Based on her track record, Enki believed he'd need to do some interfering with their blessings... but that was about all.

Merlin sighed. In certain situations, even he still believed the world's desire could be damned in favor of individual preference. Being sealed away in a tower for eternity was against his very nature, and resigning his sister to the tasks of Merlin was even worse. To hell with existing enchantments and all events already set in motion. He was Merlin, arguably the greatest sorcerer the world would ever know; the world itself should at least bend to his will every now and then. "I already let this stupid world take control over the rest of my life. I won't let it keep doing as it pleases with me, even with you as its emissary." Hold on to those feelings? No. If he could do nothing else, he'd find some way out of this accursed tower and realm. He'd make his way back to the world, and he'd take on the sole responsibility of the sorcerer Merlin. Even having two separate versions of King Arthur to deal with, it could only be so much of an annoyance for him. After all, he'd already been through half of it. Well... regardless, Morgan was taking her leave with those final words. Merlin was left with nothing but infinity around him, including apparently infinite time to find a way out. Little did he realize at the time, the reawakening of his Clairvoyance would finally complete the skill. Avalon was a utopia to exist at the end of the world, and contained within it the entire history of mankind as a result. He was still a creature of the world, and therefore... he could still interact with it, even if indirectly. It would take some time, but he could make something work. . .

So there would be a split between these two gods, where one would go about picking a strong human to fill the role of Artoria Pendragon's destroyer while the other, went about making sure they actually knew what she was capable of. It seemed like the perfect split of talents, though many of the world would think there would be something better for the 'gods' of the world to take interest in than ruining a mortal who'd done no wrongs against them nor this world.

At the same time the parting words of Merlin did not seem to bother Morgan very much. He though the world should bend to him from time to time, and it would but not nearly in the way he would wish immediately. With the return of his sight would come the switch in another. A young bard who sat around a campfire had her name change from Myrddin to Merlyn in an instant. And with that change came an upgrade to her already powerful magics. She was a mage by her own nature so it became easier for her to see what was going on. She heard the whispers in the dreams of others that made her stand up and walk away. This barren grass field where she stood, bloomed flowers in her wake. But not the flowers of Merlin, no... lilies bloomed around her and she took a deep breath. She saw in a moment the Cathedral at Saint Paul's some distance across the world. She saw the sword eventually being pulled from that stone and she saw herself in the company of the wielder. This part of the world had long since lost meaning for her. She'd been drowning her sorrows taking the edge off her life. Those eyes of hers pink as they were now glowing even in darkness. "Does the walker choose the path, or does the path choose the walker?" The Druids asked this question of their children and she'd once been asked the same... she started walking from this point forward.

But what of the rest. Albion had gone missing from the spot where it was once nestled in the sky. And strangely, the day of Artoria's fated return was upon them and Siduri fully expected the Queen of Knights to show. But as morning turned to afternoon, the brows of the wine-maker furrowed. She'd served the Queen tirelessly for seven years, and never when she said she would be somewhere did she not show. Even at the time period of her walk, she'd still shown herself within a few days. The King of Heroes expected her, and though she was not directly involved with the way their relationship played out... she still felt strangely. Was something wrong? She couldn't really know, actually there was one person who realized something was wrong or would in just a matter of a few seconds. Medusa was busy translating tablets for the King to look over and one said something very particular. It spoke of the movement of a floating island and its disappearance. That was strange.

Artoria Pendragon and her knights would receive no reprieve during the time of the gods' planning. Enki needed to know every little detail of her fighting prowess, so at a minimum, he would be sending AS-IKU's warriors, clerics and the like into the barrier containing Albion. This would be something he committed to for the duration of the time it took their champion to rise. He'd be sending the skilled, the overpowering, the tricky, and even the unorthodox against the Queen of Knights, all to observe her abilities and help construct the perfect counter to her existence.

When that all began, however, there was strangeness across the land. That aura of mysteriousness converged on Uruk, and radiated from its king. Gilgamesh had not been misled. Artoria spoke of her return on the following day. That day was today, and he could not be more certain of the truth in her words. As Gilgamesh sat upon the throne, he kept a fist pressed into his cheek. It didn't seem he was very interested in any of the tablets coming his way; he'd been reviewing them and throwing them aside with utmost abandon. Of course, they were still completed as needed, but he had no patience for giving them any additional thought. Did the king have anything to say as he impatiently awaited his visitor? Not a word, actually. There was nothing that needed saying, neither to Siduri nor any other visitors to the throne room. This day, he had words for one individual... but where was she? Oh well. It could be presumed that she'd simply... what was it? Gone on a walk?

Before the real start of Artoria's proving as she was determined the individual target of two evil gods. There was a certain realization being set upon the rest of the world. The day of the Queen's return she was apparently late. All thought this except Medusa who'd just translated a tablet rather scary. She stood up from her table and began walking. 'I do not wish to tell him this. If I read it right nothing good is about to happen,' she thought to herself. She approached Siduri directly with panic in those jeweled eyes of hers. She handed Siduri the tablet and noticed the strange amount of quiet the King of Heroes was. Siduri veiled as she always was seemed curious about the amount of panic in the eyes of Medusa. She hadn't seen such panic since the last time Rim-Sin had sent a message from Nippur making some sort of outrageous demand. But this... it was much much worse. The two women stared at each other neither wanting to be the one to start this conversation and neither really knowing how to broach the subject with the King of Heroes.

Siduri had been with this man since he'd first learned the depth of the world. She was there when he lost out on what would have been his greatest accomplishment but she was also there when he set his eyes upon the Queen of Knights. She'd been there when that woman was named and had been watching steadily the progress between them. She was slated to comeback today, finally properly within his grasp. The King of Heroes would have no good response to the woman slipping between his fingers. But... it was his burden to bear just the same. Siduri took a deep breath and spoke aloud for the first time in a while. "My King this tablet has a rather disturbing report... It requires your immediate attention," she said seeming to be upset by its contents. What did the tablet say exactly, 'The island of cold winter, dominated by knights has suddenly disappeared from the sky! No traces of it are seen.'

While Artoria was set to be tested, and observed. It became clear that she could not reach the outside world. During a brief moment of peace she aimed to use the Lake Fae's magic to move at least herself and Excalibur in or out of this place. But while the sword could move in and out without problem, something about the circumstances of the capture of Albion kept Vivian from being able to properly cross through the lake herself. She heard whispers of a repeated name across the water. 'Enki' who the hell was Enki?! Vivian had not foreseen this outcome and after making sure Artoria had her sword asked her if there was anything she could tell them. "Tell my King of Heroes, I am on a walk. But that what I face here will not keep me from him."

While Gilgamesh picked up, inspected, and moved tablets, Medusa entered the throne room. He paid no mind to the woman in her panicked state, nor did he have a care to offer Siduri when she entered the same proverbial boat. All things would move along as they always did. He didn't plan on having this much of the day spent working, but he supposed it was best to pile it up before taking many, many days of leisure for himself. Ah, but of course Medusa's appearance would result in something desiring his attention. Was it that damned Rim-Sin of Nippur yet again? He didn't need that sort of annoyance today; his mood had been soured enough by the waiting. The king sighed, not even thinking of reaching out to claim the tablet. "Everything requires my immediate attention. What makes this one so special?" he wondered. Everything was so menial, and he had only one plan worth putting much of his attention toward this day. Sighing yet again, he put aside another tablet. This was going to be something Siduri insisted upon; he knew it would be. There was no point in trying to push this matter off, whatever it was, so he chose to get it out of the way... annoying as it was to do so. "What is it? Be quick."

"This more so than others..." Siduri said. After he put down the tablet he was reading she handed over the one she'd so recently received from Medusa. How to word this without inciting panic. "It would appear that the country which our Queen raised into the sky seven years ago, has disappeared from its placement," she said taking a bit of extra care. Medusa still did not like this. It was a strange thing to hear and even stranger still another was on their way up the stairs. The Queen of Saints was here wondering about the whereabouts of her big sister. She'd talked to the woman the previous day and they'd arranged that she would come and train and test a new round of Holy Knights. But she'd not shown up. Absenteeism was very much unlike the Queen of Knights and Hoshimi Eri as well was known for being the most apt for morning activities. "Hey, Siduri is my sister here... not feeling well or," she stopped speaking noticing Gilgamesh back atop his throne. Alarm Bells that were ringing in her head seemed to ebb for a few seconds. If the King of Heroes was here, maybe her sister was welcoming him home and forgot the arrangement. "Something..." Jeanne didn't know about the return of the King of Heroes. But she wasn't upset to see him. Perhaps she was overreacting. If he was here and Artoria was here, maybe she was just finally taking a moment or two to enjoy life a bit. Except he was working... why was he working right now if her sister was here. No, it was too tense here, the atmosphere was too thick around the other women. What happened to the Queen of Knights? "What's wrong?"

Had Gilgamesh been holding one of the tablets when Siduri next spoke, it would have fallen to the floor immediately. All things came to a quick halt. He didn't need to grab the tablet Siduri held out; her words were enough to clarify everything. He'd been waiting for so much time this day, only because the abduction of Artoria and her entire country had taken place? How could something so ridiculous have happened? Gilgamesh's teeth were grinding, the veins of his neck pulsing, and his muscles tensing. It was almost as if on cue that Jeanne d'Arc entered the Citadel of Uruk. How very convenient. She still had something of his, and he rather suddenly had use of it. Brow furrowed as if he were on a warpath already, Gilgamesh stood. One, two, three paces down the throne's steps. His eyes were on the Holy Maiden. She'd done nothing to earn his ire, but... it was not to her that he pointed it. "My map," was all he said. There were no other words to mince. He needed instant proof of something. Perhaps those idiot humans who sent the message to their king had made a mistake. That wouldn't be beyond the likes of mankind at all. Maybe someone misremembered Albion's location, or maybe it was still settling into its proper place in the sky? Surely one of those things could be possible. Yes, that would even justify Artoria's tardiness; she could have been forced to take a longer route.

The King of Heroes seemed to understand the nature of the situation and Jeanne's sudden appearance seemed to relieve the other women here. Maybe everything was just strange, or maybe the Queen of Knights was actually just a little under the weather. The Queen of Saints looked at the King of Heroes, he practically had anger wafting off his entire person. That being said Jeanne knew it wasn't directed at her, she wasn't fearful at all and seemed to treat the man about the same as she treated any of her siblings. That map of his was on her person, she kept waiting for the right time to return it to him, but he decided this in the moment. "Here you go," she said offering it up with both hands. Of course, she'd come to return this a few times and he wasn't within the Ziggurat. She'd just decided to hang on to it until such a time as he needed it again. After it was handed over she was still looking ever more curious and those alarm bells in her mind started up again. He'd have no reason to be upset if he knew where her sister was. She definitely hadn't just died in battle, that seemed like the sort of thing that would have spread like wildfire. No, whatever was wrong here it did not make sense.

Siduri had that original tablet translated and still in her hand she motioned over to Jeanne to give her the answer she sought. Jeanne approached still rightfully confused. What could have happened to have everyone in this place to tense? Oh? Albion had disappeared from the place it had been? That didn't make sense. Maybe it was settling in better or moved by her sister. Surely, it would have been noticed if someone used a spell big enough to move an entire country. Her sister's group included one powerful mage with her elder sister on standby. Now it made sense, Jeanne's eyes darted back towards the map. She also wanted to see, Albion had been settled nearby her own Kingdom when it rose. though not directly in her line of sight nestled into those mountains. It was nearby enough that she should have seen if someone ran off with her sister's country!

Page 87 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast