Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: Munetsuchi

It seemed that the meaning being conferred by the 'angel' was taken at face value. Charles was at least capable of following the basic bits of information she had to offer. This was good, though he seemed a bit crestfallen at the idea that this couldn't be something handled immediately. "For those like us the long game is more important than any minor skirmish. Or given the way your mind seems to work, matches are the best two out of three, yes?" she said with a fair bit of directness. This was not the sort of problem which could be solved with anything resembling speed. No, they would end up waiting a bit longer but... that wasn't a problem really.

"If there was an easy solution, it would have been taken care of without your interference of this you can be certain~" the voice mentioned. Nothing good could be easy, but that was also fine as far as the voice was concerned. She took special interest in Jeanne d'Arc for a multitude of reasons. Moving on from this, he seemed to be expressing something very particular. He figured this voice had been advising her a long time, that would gain him a cryptic sounding chuckle. "I have been advising her longer than can be imagined," she stated clearly. He wanted to know based on that how to gain Jeanne's trust. Even in her current form he wished only to have her trust him? "Oh? Is that what you wish?" murmured that voice, it seemed as if she was in deep consideration, if this thing was worth giving up, now was likely the time, it was a quote the siblings were quite fond of, given the duality of their lives. Jeanne had been most fond of it, and to her knowledge had used it at least once, when rallying the troops during the siege she broke. "Tell her words she needs to hear, words she has once shared. They are words her enemy would not understand, but you've seen them in action so you understand. They contain a power to appeal to her better motivations," mentioned the voice. Ah, yes, the faces of her siblings found trust. The hands of those who were around her in the aftermath of her death also found trust. But for this boy, he needed to remind her of a time where she was that which he placed his faith in. All of France trusted Jeanne d'Arc, and to speak those words she once spoke would likely gain him at least a bit of reprieve. It was also a call back to the Arthurian Legends the Hoshimi children enjoyed and that all of them acknowledged as something of a pass phrase or maybe safe word was a better way to put it.

In the meantime, the lad would be dealing with something else, those chains did make their way to him, and he'd stopped actively avoiding the coming chaos. She could capture him, and she would. She could kill him and keep him from being one of the ones who haunted her in the future. He accepted his fate, and this was technically a good sign. "Accepted death then? It's about goddamn time!~" this was a Jeanne sounding far too excited to potentially murder someone, but he registered as an enemy and as such he should be executed as such. No harm, no foul. That blade of hers was pointed towards the lad as chains aimed to hold his legs in place, burning him the way she'd once been burned.

The long game, eh? Charlemagne had been forced to take that kind of approach so many times, he only wished to experience the quick and easy answer once before the end of it all. Alas, it would not be today, just as it wasn't yesterday. He couldn't take this as a one-and-done scenario, but instead a series of rounds. To do that sort of thing, he had to win twice. Would this be a win? There was a chance that even a loss could count as victory in a certain way.

According to the angel, she advised Jeanne for a very... very long time. Charlemagne couldn't be sure the specifics to that, but it was good to hear she had even more to work with. As for his plan to gain the woman's trust, it seemed understood at least somewhat. 'It is. I wasn't there when it all happened. I wasn't there to raise a defense in her name when it was over. That's a sin I have to pay for, somehow,' he stated. Meanwhile, Charlemagne's physical self was being snatched at the ankle by Jeanne's chains. The flame took him, but he wouldn't falter. This was actually a very fitting thing to experience, as if being forced to recall Jeanne's own untimely demise. Was this what it felt like? It was horrible, and he hadn't even dealt with everything else. Still... he had to remain resolute.

There was a phrase to be spoken. The angel claimed there were words once spoken by Jeanne ─ words that could reach her true self. Those words were not given, so surely they were in Charlemagne's memory somewhere, right? She was always quite good at speeches; what was he to choose? Ah... perhaps it was more obviously the legendary siege. That particular memory came to mind when Jeanne herself spoke of accepting his death. How strange it was that she spoke similarly to their enemies back then. Charlemagne lodged the blade of his sword in the ground, leaning into it just slightly. He was making an effort to emulate even her posture, his sword out to one side just as her flag had once been. What were those exact words? "Death is welcome, when it comes; but to yield - Never!" Such a powerful speech it was all those centuries ago. Well, he'd be paraphrasing a bit, as the exact phrase didn't really work for him. The Jeanne he knew would understand that as well. "I accepted death when you started attacking me. But I was told once not to yield, so I won't. So... you can kill me if I deserve it. That won't stop me from keeping my promise!" he chanted even as those vengeful flames climbed up his body.

Charles wouldn't be having an easy time in this world. It was nature for the good to struggle in a world which was as tainted as this one was. In this young man's case, he would simply have to relegate himself to seeing the brighter side of things as much as possible. But that wasn't for this particular 'angel' to share in this particular moment. No, instead the lad went on to express his wish in a very particular way. He seemed to suffer from some unrelated guilt, feeling bad for not taking up for Jeanne after her death and for not being there when she died. For someone unrelated he seemed to have a pretty vested interest in Jeanne. "I see... well we must all bear our sins. I am sure you will understand what it is to bear yours in due time," said the voice, who seemed to come to some sort of understanding.

Moving on, the 'angel' had given all the advice she could. And now she simply watched as the lad pushed himself to his depths. He was being burned down the legs now, fires causing him to experience a method of death very similar to the one Jeanne herself had experienced. But in the heat of this moment, he... gave a speech. This speech hit the ears of one like Sakura strangely, she wondered what he was deciding upon. But, in the case of Jeanne it seemed to cause her to stop. Charles was not one for quotes or pretending. He spoke from his own heart whenever he did, and it was... earnest. The words he spoke were similar to ones she'd spoken but they also held their own purpose, their own meaning. And this was the sort of person he was even as his stance reminded her of one she'd taken quite a long time ago. The anger of Jeanne d'Arc didn't disappear, but after those words registered in her mind, the heat of those flames did. Stakes began disappearing and... chains fell apart in feathered disarray. "Oh? I'm surprised, well she's always been among the more reasonable of us..." the voice mentioned. But Jeanne herself hadn't said anything. Though the 'angel' didn't understand why such a speech connected with her younger sibling, she understood for now, the lad had shown his true self to Jeanne and she'd accepted it, past the feeling of that intrusive god with whom he shared a connection. "Oh? Is it over now?" murmured Sakura seeming to be waiting for the dust to settle.

All would have to bear their own sins, and Charlemagne never wished to consider himself an exception. For his sins, he'd march headlong into whatever consequences came. Even if he could help Jeanne out of her current state, the repercussions lay ahead of him still. Anything else was just making amends. Upon giving his speech that took inspiration from her own, Charlemagne watched Jeanne stop dead in her tracks. The onslaught was over in a moment. The fires stemming from those chains stopped burning all at once, and Charlemagne was finally able to breathe.

Did it work? It seemed to work. Sakura watched from the sidelines and wondered if the battle was over, while the Nexus held up a hand as if to suggest waiting. Just then, a nervous chuckle passed Charlemagne's lips. That was painful; too painful. Try as he might to look cool and bear the agony, he couldn't keep it up while the adrenaline wasn't pumping. "A─... haaah-!" he heaved. He'd been burned and frankly had the pants scared off him. Now, the poor lad was falling onto his back and breathing heavily. "Hah... alright. Never gonna get over that happening. Step one done. Cool," he murmured to no one in particular. 'And I owe the angel voice. If it's possible, I'll pay you back someday for setting me on the right path.'

Meanwhile, the Nexus lowered his hand. "Now it's over. None too soon, really. Those two should be on way friendlier terms than that, even if they're not an item like they should be," he said in the strangest fashion. That pair was so perfectly compatible with one another, it was strange to see them at odds even for a moment. That, however, was something he could blame a very specific person for. "I'm guessing this isn't going to be a 'kiss and make up' kind of scene though. Shame."

It would seem the fight was over, and as much as he tried to hold on to being cool, Charles eventually crumbled. A cheeky chortle escaped Jeanne as this kind of behavior was about exactly what she expected of the lad she'd known before, but she had nothing else to say immediately. "Omedetougouzaimasu, Char-kun," Sakura mentioned though it was very strange how quickly the lad seemed to fall back into his old habits. After a moment, the Nexus cleared the fight itself and Sakura began moving towards Charles. Jeanne had no healing and no support to offer in her current form, so she'd leave that lass to do what she would, though a passing comment would come from her just the same. "Oh I didn't think I'd hear anyone but my siblings speaking Japanese at random, bitchin'," Jeanne said seemingly pleased by Sakura's presence for the most random reason. In the meantime she took up the seat so recently exited and crossed her own legs at the knees after falling into it. "They do feel like they'd mix nicely. And nice to meet you..." mentioned Sakura who understood most things in terms of mana alone.

The final thing spoken to the 'angel' voice in his mind made something of a smile creep up on a face with striking similarity to Jeanne's own? "One should be careful what they offer someone as long lived as I am... if you succeed in your desired task there would be no need for recompense," the woman said in the boy's mind as Sakura appeared at his side. Given his general disposition she made a minor decision concerning his current state. "If I fill your grail... I can treat your burns," she mentioned figuring by his other reactions he wouldn't enjoy her demanding him accept the mana directly from the tap as she would have normally offered it. As for the matter of kissing and making up, there was only one thing said by Jeanne. "No way in hell," she piped up for the first time. "So if I'm not here to take my vengeance what the hell am I here for? I'm sure I'm making people worry more than normal already..." she said seemingly impatient very much unlike her other self. Though at the very least she wasn't attacking anyone, so there was that.

While Charlemagne worked at gathering his bearings, Jeanne left her existing location, and Sakura encroached upon him. Apart from a few burns and stab wounds, he was relatively fine; the constitution of this 'new' body was nothing to shake a proverbial stick at. He had a few more words to exchange with Jeanne's unknown angel, who insisted no repayment would be necessary if he succeeded in the current task. Nonsense. 'I don't care if it's necessary. You helped me, so I'll try my best to help you somehow. Bank on it,' he muttered.

Sakura took the lad's side, claiming she could do something about the burns by filling the Holy Grail. Sadly, Charlemagne was fated to take a much deeper wound before his mouth could even open. The Nexus spoke of their making up in a way Jeanne shut down in... frankly, a harsher way than he could ever have imagined. "... Ouch?" he said immediately. Though that wasn't the outcome he wanted either, she definitely could have been a bit gentler with the rejection. "No grail's fixing that. I... think I'm good for now. These burns aren't going anywhere anyway," he said to Sakura. Perhaps the Holy Grail did have the ability to fix even those burns, but if it could, he'd rather refrain. He'd consider it all part of his penance either way. If Charlemagne's assumptions were correct, he'd be rid of them eventually either way.

Moving on, the Nexus addressed the woman who abrasively claimed that chair beside him. "You're here because he wanted you here to talk, not because I called you. Might be a good idea to stop and figure out people's motives beforehand next time. Good show, though. I like the passion," the man declared. "Oh, and don't worry about the people who might worry. That's been settled too," he added, sparing an additional glance in Charlemagne's direction during those final words.

Surprise. Not much surprised this particular angel anymore, but the kindness proffered by Charlemagne was something uncommon. She would call it almost equivalent to the sort of person Jeanne d'Arc was, when she wasn't... on the warpath. Interesting, those people from France were always such deeply good people, it was hard to reconcile their fate in this world. "If you say so... people like me hold people to their words. Good luck and see you around~" that voice left him in a teasing manner. She was sure it'd come up again, and she'd left herself gently tethered to the lad, for her own future purposes.

Moving on from that, Sakura had offered to heal Charles, but he was first stunned by the words uttered by Jeanne d'Arc and then claimed he didn't need it. His burns wouldn't be going anywhere, this much was true, but they didn't have to be outwardly painful. In this moment though it seemed he'd taken more emotional damage than anything else. In her infinite understanding of people, Sakura gave the lad a gentle pat on the head. "There there, Char-kun," she managed seemingly sad for his very rough rejection. But perhaps, the lass hadn't been forward enough before and decided that all rejections needed to be clear, concise and to the point? "Yeah, they aren't going anywhere. Still, she could ease the pain..." Jeanne commented, there was no apology for bruising his manhood or anything like that, but she wouldn't have offered it in her current state regardless. Moving on, according to the Nexus she'd been called here by Charles, to talk... and that she should find out people motivations first.

"Yeah, while I get what you mean, I'm not that trusting anymore... " she said in a manner which was less obviously aggressive. "Though, I do understand Eri-nee fighting first and asking questions later. And he did feel like my enemy..." she mumbled in reply to the enjoyment of the passion of such a moment. And with his final words it seemed that there was nothing for her to worry about. She wasn't currently stressing out her more immediate family and friend group by suddenly passing out and she could take the Nexus's word about that so she seemed to relax just a tad. She'd be found soon enough with her left hand up and her face leaning against it waiting for the rest of this supposed conversation. Whatever Charles wanted to talk about she'd at least hear him out.

Charlemagne would rather have been physically burned for another twenty minutes than be on the receiving end of that two second mental burn. In a single moment, he felt so uncool that all his parameters were dropped a full grade below the norm due to a certain Skill. The worst part was that it came from Jeanne d'Arc herself ─ someone he thought to pursue many centuries ago. It couldn't get much worse than that, even though Sakura was there patting his head. "It's fine. I'm fine. Everyone has their preferences," he chanted as if reciting lines in some bad audition. The Nexus had something else to add at that point. "Sheesh. Y'know if you opened with that, you probably could have killed him in two seconds flat," he said as a phantasmal Holy Grail appeared in one hand. It was filled with the usual wine-like liquid, held out in offer to Jeanne. "It's been a thousand years, right? Here; drink."

Upon finally dragging himself up into a seated position, Charlemagne took a moment to gather his thoughts. This entire event had been surreal enough to make him nearly forget the overarching purpose, but ah, he had it. "I should start with backstory, huh? I don't feel like Father An because I chose to. I was uh... 'selected' to be Holy Emperor and Angie's husband. The Father was in this weird, decrepit state, but at the wedding, he somehow made me stab him and tried to rip my soul out. He called me 'the second sacrifice' or something, which I figured makes you the first based on what we already found out from looking into your case. Anyway, I got dropped to the lower world, almost unexisted a few times, but then Sakura here uh... fixed me up. Apparently I ended up part Father An as a result of the residual link. We need to get back to Aincrad, stop whatever plan he has and help everyone else though, so I was trying to get to Chaldea through the HQ. It was suggested that I find you through the Nexus to make that happen," the lad explained.

Charlemagne claimed everyone had their preferences and this was the truth. Jeanne herself might have been a bit less harsh with her way of wording such a thing, if she'd been in a different form but she had no intention of giving up Siegfried for Charles regardless. She also wasn't exactly a nice person in her current form and wouldn't be sparing anyone's feelings, but this was what it meant to deny fate in her case. Moving on, Sakura stayed patting the top of Charles's head and seemed to feel strangely for him though he was trying to make peace. "If you say so, but that looked more painful than the fight by reaction alone..." Sakura murmured. Jeanne chuckled because it was obvious to her that this lass lacked common sense, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. "Well, you should take blame for it huh? For saying something like that when you knew how I'd react," she said in a huff. Regardless, she was soon offered a grail and it'd been quite a while. "Damn straight it's been ages. I'm out here drinking out of a normal cup like a pleb," she gripped. Cup full she'd sip, happily, it'd been far too long since she enjoyed a drink out of the grail.

And while she drank, Charles gave the background to why he wished to talk. In these moments, Jeanne found out that the lad before her had been made a similar kind of sacrifice to herself. Only instead of simply killing him to take from him, he'd planned to steal his entire existence. "Huh, that actually sucks. Condolences," she offered. "I don't know if I should feel better that he didn't want my body, or wonder why that group of idiots keeps trying to do such stupid things with other people's existences," she commented almost absently. As for Sakura she gave the lass the thumbs up. "Good on you, re-existing someone out of nothing and all... Did a great job of that~" she said knowing that it was very possible with a story like that, that Charles could have ended up a lot closer to her own current existence than he did to his normal self. "As for your request, I'd allow it, but..." she gave a pause seeming to try to think about how to phrase it. "I mean you could go there anyway but I'm not there. That group of gods is an annoyance and a half and a group of us are currently in a dungeon outside the world. So I can't help smooth it over for ya," she expressed in a much more clear manner. "And if you think I jumped the gun a bit, to Sieg I just disappeared... again. And you haven't been seen at the Holy Knights HQ in over a 1000 years, since the last time I disappeared... It's not gonna play well, the whole upstairs is probably only just settling down," she stated. True enough, King Gilgamesh, Artoria Pendragon, Morgan le Fay, Siduri, Medusa and Jeanne d'Arc were all missing from Chaldea under dubious circumstances. It wouldn't even be unreasonable for a connection to an old god cult to be the reason for such a thing.

Sakura didn't seem to understand the absolute weight of emotional damage. Lucky her, Charlemagne thought. Jeanne was content to throw blame on the Nexus, who could only shrug in response. "Who's to say I knew how you'd react? You're not connected to me enough now, so you're kind of an enigma in here," he explained. In truth, there were only two reasons he could even call Jeanne to this plane now. Firstly, the other version of Jeanne still existed somewhere in there. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, she and Charlemagne were on such similar spiritual wavelengths that he could pull her in based on their similarities alone.

Regarding his situation compared to Jeanne's, Charlemagne wasn't sure what either of them should feel either. Both had reason to feel betrayed, used and generally mistreated, but Father An would receive his comeuppance soon enough. Charlemagne's priority was to save Angelica and his comrades before Father An enacted additional plans using the bulk of a stolen soul. Apparently, Jeanne was not currently in range of the headquarters, and seemed to have disappeared for the second time. Others were bound to be on edge, particularly a certain Dragon-Knight. It seemed another fight he didn't want to participate in was in his future. Ah, but perhaps not? Before Charlemagne could even speak on the matter, the Nexus had something else to offer. "It wouldn't be a problem if the timeline never changed," he began. "So, here's a story. In the original timeline, you two were supposed to be a pair. Charles the Great should be the king of that place, and the pair of you should be the Adam and Eve of this world. We all know some things happened, and those things meant you each went your separate ways to find other partners. That's fine; I'm not here to push you two back together or anything. I do think you should find a way to cooperate, though."

Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast