Page 90 of 139 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Charles Patricius

"Arrested?" Hiroshi questioned as if the word was foreign to him. In fact, it was. He could pick up a few context clues based on the language alone, but incarceration due to nudity made no sense. No matter; it was probably some nonsense he had no method of understanding without 100% context, and even then, he'd probably consider it a moronic waste of law enforcement beyond even Zheng's maddest hour. More concerning was his lack of proper vision, though he surely had better eyesight than any normal human. "I suppose this is still a bit better than what I understand of a human's ocular prowess. Even so, it remains less than what I would expect of... a human Archer's minimum capacity. I'd wager this is about twenty percent of my normal ability, being very, very lenient," he explained.

Upon hearing about Phantom Lurkers and the fact that Miko had never heard of them, Kazu exhaled deeply. "You definitely want nothing to do with those. Remember the Dahaka? It's about twice as bad," he stated. In the meantime, Yuuya had already pushed open the secret door between his bathroom and the storage room, paving the way to the former. "I have some things he could wear, though they may be a little tight..." he announced. "I also don't have much space here, but feel free to make yourselves at home if you can."

With that, Yuuya was off to search for the longest pair of pants he had. Saika was content to follow suit, if only to avoid the elf's rambling again. He stopped in the bathroom to inspect himself, but found only a broken mirror over the sink. How strange. "Eh? Did I get that ugly?" he wondered before sauntering off with no obvious issues. All the while, Hiroshi was considering Saori's talk of fitness. "I see, I see. Son-kun's methods are the most suited to this world, in that case. I believe I can adjust."

The man now known as Hiroshi seemed to take issue with the word arrested. It could be assumed he understood it as a matter of context, but without all of it, it was clear that the man had no idea about the idea of arresting or detaining criminals. Miko's eyes widened as she thought about Alaya again and about the lack of prisons and other such places within the space. "He said that like he doesn't understand it... are there not prisons?" she murmured. "Wait, I've never actually seen one except the one run by Livie!" Miko said seemingly aghast. They really were world's apart. While Miko pondered the fact that she didn't know of prisons or jails existing within the magical world... there was something else. Hiroshi's vision while better than the average human fell short of what he would have called a human archer in the other world. "I am fairly certain Archers still see a lot farther than normal humans in this world. Actually I'd say my own eyesight has improved markedly. I don't even think I'd need my reading glasses anymore," Saori mentioned seeming to have an easier time seeing than she had previously.

As conversations went on, it seemed that Phantom Lurkers were something familiar to Kazuhiko. The lad referenced something known as the Dahaka. "Wait you mean that creepy music shifter from Prince of Persia? Why do those actually exist?!" she exclaimed. It was likely good she'd never encountered such a thing, she might have never left her abode ever in life if she encountered something so scary. Even so, there was announcement of potential clothing for Hiroshi which was relieving to all, including his mentee, though she had no problem with his nudity as long as it wasn't getting him into trouble. They would make their way out of the store room and find themselves capable of wandering about the house. "Hai hai, I'll do just that..." mentioned Kaguya who found the nearest couch and splayed herself across it as if it was the perfect place to be. In the menatime, Sakura was willing to simply see what this new world was like but only after one of her fathers found himself some clothes. "Hai hai, Wu-papa's more physically and spiritually balanced methdology would probably work the best for here," she mentioned. "Wu-papa... Son.... wait, is one of your dad's Sun Wukong?" asked Saori who seemed to be a more than normal amount of excited. That guy was legenary in this world, she'd even nursed a childhood aspiration of getting into a fist fight with such a person if it were managable. "Hai, you're very excited about this," mentioned Sakura in an offhanded way. But she wasn't human enough to know about the kinds of media ingested by the large population. Of course, Miko obviously followed her mentor, she wouldn't be letting him out of her sight, and though she managed to not be seen looking she could still appreciate his physical form a bit and see what kind of clothing he would be donning while giving thought to her next steps while back in her home world for the first time in 300 years.

"Imprisonment is not a common punishment on the other side. The ability one must have to manage it with anything besides standard humans would be incredible; there would be too many variables for ensuring a prisoner couldn't escape," Hiroshi preached. Most Alayans resorted to eliminating criminals, or perhaps exiling in some cases that involved stable government. Moving on, Hiroshi figured he'd have to acquire a pair of glasses to avoid the world's worst headache. That would come in due time, but first, he'd be needing something to wear. Hiroshi followed the young homeowner deeper into the building to locate a pair of trousers, though it would take some time for Yuuya to do so.

In the meantime, Kazuhiko found himself in the same living room Kaguya had taken residence in. A simple look through the window told him one thing: they were not in his hometown. Actually, he recognized this city from an old trading card tournament. "This isn't Ibaraki. Wait... are we in Osaka?!" he exclaimed, realizing how far from home he was. There was no chance he'd be getting home at a reasonable time. "Ugh, that's not good. No phone, nobody I know here, no... wait..." he paused again. Kazuhiko would be found patting his pockets, finding them mostly empty. What he pulled from one pocket was his identification and a few coins. "And only a few hundred yen. I'm broke in Osaka," he griped. Even from another room, Yuuya's house was small enough that he could hear the other male's complaints. "I have a little food left, but not enough money to keep us all fed for more than a few days. I haven't gotten a job yet."

Hiroshi had quite a bit to say about the nature of imprisonment on Alaya. Apparently it wasn't easy to imprison people. Death or exile were the preferred methods of Munetsuchi for those sorts of reasons. "Sou ka, I suppose that does make sense. Even I could think of a couple of ways to walk out of prison cell without hurting anyone... a few more than that if the people guarding it aren't stronger than me," Miko mentioned seeming to think the better of it. Still it was quite odd to note that prisons didn't exist as she would have thought of them. "Here it is very different. Everyone is human, people don't just break out. And those who end up in jail usually do very bad things to the general population, at least here..." she said carefully. Normal humans were a problem because of weapons and crimes against sanity and humanity.

Meanwhile they were apparently in Osaka which Kazuhiko identified by looking out of the window. He had a series of complaints. Kaguya understood his methods and agreed. "To be fair, I could like order us some pizzas with the cash I have on me but that's about it," the girl claimed. She was on a very strict stipend and didn't have a lot of disposable income. In fact what she had on her, she had only in preparation for her date. Saori spent a minute thinking about things before she spoke. "I mean I am an adult with a full time job, but... I don't have my wallet and though I am pretty sure my cellphone is in the pocket of that jacket. I don't remember how to open it," she admitted not knowing that to do about that. Yuuya made the observation that he had a bit of food but not much and Miko was left to wonder over things while fishing out Saori's cell phone to hand it to her. "Eh, I would probably have some money but I don't have my phone... I also need to call my parents. It would be very bad for them to go home and discover I am not there and not answering my phone..." she murmured seemingly aghast for several reasons. "What's a phone?" this was Sakura's only question. She understood from context all other things in this situation.

Without phones or the ability to properly use them, it seemed this group was out of luck. None of them seemed to live near Osaka, and the one confirmed smartphone was essentially useless due to Saori's lack of millennia-long memory. None could be blamed for their situation. Even so, something had to be done. Ah, but first came a question from Sakura. What was a phone? That was about what Kazuhiko expected. "It's a communication device. It's also kind of like... a world library, a timer, a thing for entertainment, and a bunch of other stuff," he explained briefly.

What were they to do as a group? There had to be something, but what? "Maybe it'd be worth it to pool funds. Or, since we've still got some kind of ability, maybe we could travel by foot?" Kazu wondered absently. Little did anyone know, part of their collective problem was being solved at this very moment. A knock came to the front door, and then... the door opened suddenly. A young man entered, looking to be in his late twenties with messy, ashen hair braided into a single shoulder-length ponytail dangling over his collarbone. He was lightly tanned with golden eyes, sporting the uniform of the Ashikaga Consulting Agency's Nobunaga branch. "It seems I'm right on time," the male said while scanning the room. He carried with him a large knapsack full of varied items. "I'm sure you all have many questions, but I'm here to solve most of them. Also... I come with advice. Some of you will need to find work, and all of you will have to act out a life here for some time."

A communication device was this thing called a phone. It apparently had a varied number of functions which could be helpful to the group but not something that could be used by one like Saori who'd apparently forgotten how her own device worked in the thousand years since she'd last held it. Even after accepting it from Miko she pressed the button on the side and looked at the multi-dot pattern and had no idea what she'd been using as the combination to open it. "Sou ka, that sounds useful, it's odd that everyone has them," she said not seeming to understand how such a thing happened.

Meanwhile, Kazuhiko was busy trying to formulate a plan based on what he knew of the group currently. They could walk. or pool funds or any great number of things. But it would seem that none of that would be necessary. Why? Well a stranger was making his way into the room with a backpack full of goodies and some advice for the group at large. He was dressed immaculately with a very familiar face to several people present. It would be Sakura who paused head turned to the side. Miko who ran up sliding in after hearing the sound of a voice she was quite attracted to and Kaguya who looked up a bit surprised. "Oh? That's a bit surreal..." she murmured just a moment later. "I knew it..." Miko said looking more than pleased. Apparently he had the answers to their questions and some advice to spare. "Uh? You two know this guy?" Saori asked, having accientally fallen into a bit of a fighting stance after being surprised for a moment. 'I'm trying to know him biblically but everything keeps getting in my way!~' Miko's thoughts were quite invasive, she closed her eyes briefly before choosing her answer very carefully. "That's a complicated question, this is Marisbury Animusphere..." Miko mentioned remembering his name from their conversation which had only happened a few days ago for her but this might actually be her first time meeting him. It was a strange thing to consider but she found herself looking up at him with that flickering recognition in her eyes.

"It's not so odd," Kazuhiko countered. "They're not like Artifacts or anything. They're a form of technology made by companies. People just go out and buy them with money," he explained further for Sakura's understanding. "If we end up with the money, you should get one ─ they're awesome to have!"

Just then, Kazuhiko ceased all speech. He had reason to believe Yuuya lived alone, but suddenly... a familiar face was entering the abode. This person also had no reason to be in Osaka, so Kazu was right beside Saori to prepare defensive (or offensive) measures. Lo and behold, there were no threats. Marisbury Animusphere was the man's name; he'd come with great purpose. Ah, but first came a few realizations. The first girl who acknowledged him felt... interesting. He looked to the raven-haired lass with a quirked brow. "Is it so strange? Interesting. I know you, but not yet. I wonder if it happens after..." he mused to no one in particular. Another who felt similar to him spoke after rushing into the room. This one had his name as more than simple knowledge of his position as a business figure. "And you as well, though... not fully ─ not yet. I haven't seen either of you yet, nor do I know when I will. But..." Another hesitation came as Marisbury encroached upon Sakura. Most of his attention would be given to her, as her energy was very... very different from the others, with an even stronger semblance of himself deep beneath the surface. As if it was the natural thing to do, he reached out to place a hand atop her head. The warmest of smiles spread across his face at that time, as if he had something to look forward to. "My, my ─ how exciting! I understand why I brought so many important things for you," he murmured.

All the while, Kazuhiko was lowering his guard and heaving an exasperated sigh. What was going on now? Well, it was obviously nothing negative, but he wouldn't even get the chance to speak yet. No, Marisbury had something else to say first ─ this time to Saori. "Three, one, nine, seven. It's early, but your sister is awake," he said without even looking away from Sakura.

Apparently phones were a form of purchasable technology. They were nothing so extreme as Artifacts and even normal people had access to them. How interesting. "Sou ka, they do sound quite useful," she said. Admittedly she couldn't imagine the use of such a commodity but if she ended up with one in her possession she'd make a good effort to come to understand how to use it and all.

Ah but beyond those points Marisbury Animusphere was getting familiar with several of the young women in this room. And it was happening in such an odd way that someone like Saori was a bit taken aback. He seemed to recognize Kaguya and spoke of knowing her but not yet. Was this some sort of time loop style situation? Maybe. Well, he said something similar to Miko after she slipped into the room chasing after the sound of his voice. "Ah, that explains a bit..." Kaguya mentioned. She'd spent a weeks worth of time lap tied to this man... of course he would recognize her as being tainted with his influence. Miko had no such encounter but still contained the flush of her own cheeks as she looked away. "Hai hai, Iino Miko, desu..." she offered her own name knowing that she shouldn't go too far but not knowing if a small experiment wasn't set to be in stone. Lastly it would be Sakura being acknowledged with a warm hand atop her head. A wide grin spread across the purple haired girl's face. "You brought me things... are they presents... is it my birthday?" asked Sakura looking up at the man who had a face so similar to the one he bore in the future she'd easily keep referring to him in a manner similar to how she always did, but... she was also clever enough to avoid the most obvious forms of reference.

Ah but Sakura wasn't the last to be addressed. A small string of numbers was spoken aimed at Saori along with a reference to the time of day it was and her sister being ready for her. Her eyes widened. "Right, Souryu... I should have a problem with all of this but arigatou..." she said pressing the pattern in sequence into her phone and dialing the first number she saw on her screen. She'd immediately hear two rings before someone picked up on the other end. "Oi, Sakura... I am in a bit of a bind here..." she started only to look at Sakura... "Oops sorry... not you..." she said wandering off to try and have a less obnoxious conversation with her younger sister.

The trio of girls Marisbury somehow knew, all seemed to understand their relationship to him in ways he couldn't know for certain. Well, he could clearly tell what they were... but not how they happened. Sakura, however, was obvious. She was immediately looked upon as a point of pride, even as Marisbury continued speaking with the others... such as one Iino Miko, according to her own introduction. "Iino-chan? Interesting," he said with a certain air of familiarity, as if the name was one he'd heard before. Maybe he had, or maybe he would eventually. Whatever the case, Sakura asked if he had presents for her... and if it was her birthday. "Maybe? It feels like your birthday. If it is, happy birthday~" he said while reaching into that bag.

The first item Marisbury produced was a smartphone of the latest model ─ specifically one with a professional-grade camera and microphone. "This is for you. I'm supposed to tell you this is also an incredible way to store, review, and even share your memories as visuals. There's no need to waste precious energy on such things," he advised. "I get the feeling you like to observe even your own former experiences. This may come in handy for that, and so much more. Enjoy, and keep in touch with your friends," he added, producing a few more items while providing the list. "Headphones for music, a smartwatch linked to the phone, all necessary streaming subscription logins... and a smart home assistant device to help you adjust to it all. These things should be invaluable to you... I think."

There was a trio of girls who did indeed know the man Marisbury Animusphere, but not in his current form. Even so, all three were happy to see him and feeling oddly about the surrealism of figuring out that they were seeing him likely before he became the man they knew. There was an entire conversation to have after his parting about the timing of this event, and the science fiction and fantasy aspects of running into someone at a different point in their timelines. Ah well that was nothing to consider immediately. Odd though it was to note, Miko couldn't help the fluttering in her chest upon hearing her name spoken by this man a second time. "Hai..." Miko muttered outside but inside was a very different story. 'WAAAH! He's so hot! And he doesn't even know yet!' she mused internally. Besides that there was something to appreciate about the doting father types, and Miko watched as the man commented on Sakura's potential birthday. Sakura for her part in this smiled happily at the man before her. She realized looking at him that there was something he knew and something he didn't. She wasn't completely certain about what these things were but that didn't matter to her so much.

"I could consider this my birthday, thank you!~" she said seemingly amused. Still there was more. Apparently there were several gifts for her of a more technological base. Items she'd never seen before with explanations of their general use. With the number of humans currently in this room she was sure she could figure it out. But there was the claim that they could be used to share her memories and record them. Interesting... given the way she used her own mana most of the time, it would likely be considered good to avoid doing anything unnecessary. Especially with the drain of being in this human centric world. "It seems like they would be. I don't fully understand yet, but I feel like I will enjoy all of these things. Thank you..." she said looking up at one of her fathers with pure delight in her eyes. "Oh? tech girl starter pack. Warning I can't help you with that stuff..." Kaguya mentioned knowing she was barely capable of using the basic functions of her phone. But others were capable of being of more assistance, so it should be fine.

Page 90 of 139 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast