Page 81 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: Charles Patricius

"Err... Yeah, sure; whatever works," Charlemagne said about Sakura's observation. He wasn't going to let someone be put through the proverbial ringer ─ accidentally or otherwise. The strangeness of the relationship in front of them was extreme enough; some people didn't need such things pushed further into the limelight. Luckily, Sakura could also manage to be a suitable distraction from time to time. Her greeting was in a tongue familiar to Artoria, as it had been to many others thus far. Yes, he could make use of that! "Oh! Right, I forgot to mention before. The place I fell to was basically old Kyoto. If you want a classic taste of old home, it'd be a great spot to visit. Though uh... it does have a lot of this world stuff going on," he said, assuming Artoria could easily come up with a host of potential meanings for the claim. If she needed specifics, he'd quickly have that available as well ─ with a thumb pointed in Sakura's direction. "Five dads."

"More blind fools," Gilgamesh stated at random, as if to discredit the number of fathers listed for Sakura. Just the same, he looked toward Angelica and knew the sum of her parents was greater than two. Whatever he was talking about, it was a level of added complexity Charlemagne wanted nothing to do with. "Nope. No way. Blissfully ignorant is way better," he interjected, moving on right away to the odd response of Artoria. Her words were polite as one would expect, but her expression was... a bit more serious and insistent. Charlemagne knew that look all too well. "Well, I'm sure there's plenty of stuff to do, right? You guys have to get out of that weird space," he started. Ah, but there was more. "I do need something else, though... but just from you, if that's alright. King Gilgamesh, I won't waste your time," he added, receiving only a scoff from the other male. "What then, Artoria Pendragon? Are you going to continue placating the rabble instead of witnessing glory in the making?"

Charlemagne was content not to discuss the temperament of Artoria Pendragon and currently Sakura was content to let it go. Though the longer she looked at the blonde the more confused she became. Whatever the case, there was mention of the place which had become a new haven for Charlemagne being a bit more like the home they came from than any knew of. A place like that was unknown to Artoria and she couldn't help the minor bit of excitement surfacing. There was a happy sparkle to the blonde's emerald eyes which was soon replaced by a gentle bit of questioning. "I was suddenly excited for a taste of home and then rather anxious about how I imagined those words work out in context," Artoria confessed. Charlemagne's next words were ones which clarified things to a great extent. "Of course that is what you meant," Artoria mumbled. Well, she was by her previous life a bodyguard she could ignore many oddities to get the things she was looking for.

As for Gilgamesh his words implied an understanding that Sakura didn't expect anyone else to have. "Sou ka, you understand quite a bit. This form of mine is recent to the last few moments, I essentially chose which father to most embody, when choosing this body," she explained of the situation. Artoria's eyes shifted. That one was strange, but if the magical world let you chose how your DNA worked out she was far from telling someone how weird that was. "I've got to get on to doing something like that..." Angelica said aloud. She and Sakura had been a bit busy to fully discuss the nature of her ascension but if it was possible to make a few choices about parentage she'd do that in a heartbeat. Moving on, it seemed that the pleading of Artoria Pendragon, her silent prayers were finally being answered. Charlemagne managed to interpret her desires and even offered her an out. 'On my honor this one is good,' she thought to herself. Gilgamesh's words were ones which struck her ears and made her scoff. "Someone can placate the masses and I have always been a ruler of the people, heavy handed though I might be, I have never aspired to witness glory. I would rather make it," she said a gentle shoo'ing motion. "I will return, when my usefulness has ebbed," she gave as her final answer. Ah, but that really meant she just intended to sit around and have a drink with somoene who might understand her current plight.

"Yeah, it's a little extreme... though I only saw it in the palace, so y'know... maybe just avoid that part at certain times if you don't want an eyeful. Natives don't get it," Charlemagne said. Frankly, he was elated to finally have such an exchange with someone who'd understand his side of things. Between Sakura and Angelica, he was surrounded by an aura of normalized deviance to the point of feeling like the strange one at times. The people of Gaia would understand. Artoria Pendragon would understand. A sigh passed Charlemagne's lips, but it was one of relief as the knight-queen showed something resembling discontent in her response.

Sakura spoke of her current form, and how it leaned toward a specific father of hers. She spoke as if that had anything to do with Gilgamesh's earlier claim, much to his distaste. "Irrelevant. I speak not of your decisions. Still your mind, child of Nanshe, for it is not yet ready for this audience," Gilgamesh commented. At last, he had something worth saying to the blonde goddess. Her words implied a change to come. As Gilgamesh gazed upon her, however, he saw much deeper. "And you, such a child in the rebellious stage so late in life. Do not waste your time. Your birthright is not one that can be escaped under any circumstance. The inheritance of An is among the most potent; you'd best accept it for what it is worth," he preached.

Gilgamesh had only one remaining concern. He had no interest in further dealing with this Nexus appearance, but what of Artoria? It seemed she intended to remain and avoid seeing certain glory born before her very eyes. "H'oh? What a shame. Have your idea of fun then, if you wish. I tire of this room and all its blandness," he griped, turning on a heel to approach the exit portal. Meanwhile, Charlemagne glanced in Artoria's direction with a tentative thumbs-up held out. He'd be waiting for Gilgamesh's confirmed exit before saying anything, but it seemed the plan worked as intended.

The words of Charlemagne had particular warnings implied. Artoria nodded her head in understanding. "Palaces are bedrooms now, fine. I have years of practice averting my gaze and ignoring things I can manage that for noodles and soy sauce," she said having a strange craving for what she remembered as peak salty foods. Natives not getting it was something she understood from a different sort of perspective but that was also fine.

Moving on, it seemed Gilgamesh was even more full of information than Sakura would have thought. His reference was to the original form of her mother not her split self. How interesting. He told her to still her mind as his words had not to do with her personal choice which he also seemed to understand. "You have to know that words like that have the exact opposite effect right? I am only being made more curious," Sakura murmured. Still, she was willing to let the man go without literally trying to pick his brain. He was obviously very old and very knowledgable in the world, but she was beginning to understand why Charlemagne didn't go for asking him questions. The words he shared with Angelica would get a similar reaction with her normal attitude applied. "Hmph, rebellious is hardly my temperament. It's purely audacity for anything he left with me accidentally or otherwise to still be called his!" Angelica asserted. What a ballsy bratty girl. a chuckle escaped Artoria, as the Queen of Knights realized why her younger sister was so fond of this girl. 'I am sure he is the last to comment on the rebellion of another, as if he does not know his original title is Wedge of Heaven,' Artoria thought with a casual eye roll. "Ja ne, Gilgamesh-ou" she seemed happy enough to let that slip out of her lips as he disappeared through the gate. Soon enough though he was turning to leave, allowing her the fun she sought, and as he stepped through the portal she looked towards Charlemagne with pure relief in her face and her own thumb coming up as well. "You have my gratitude. I was dying of boredom. I did not expect understanding of my desire to remain for a while," she murmured seemingly so relieved that her legs shifted gently. A chair would be formed near by the Queen of Knights by Sakura. "You're still processing, I'm surprised you could stand for that long. And why thumbs?" she questioned her and Charlemagne not truly understanding. More relief showed on Artoria's face as she made her way to the chair and sat, still full of grace but this was a far better afternoon for her than anything else.

Charlemagne nodded after Artoria's assertion, thinking her resolve was better than his if she could avert her gaze from the goings-on of Munetsuchi. He hadn't seen much himself, but from what Astolfo had to say about observing the throne room... it was all rather intense. "Good on you. I'd have a hard time looking away, even if just becau─" Charlemagne silenced himself immediately, realizing there was something he found too odd for casual mention. As both Sakura and Angelica was nearby, it would surely be awkward to comment on the beguiling visage of the former's mother. Well... it probably wouldn't be to people like them, but that was just more reason for Charlemagne's immediate silence. "... Research," he said in the end.

Gilgamesh's parting words to both Sakura and Angelica received responses he did not stay to acknowledge. Knowing the King of Heroes required a certain amount of mediation when speaking to individuals directly, Charlemagne thought to act as the interim. "He does that a lot, I think. Clairvoyance is weird, and he's even weirder when using it. Probably best to think over whatever he was just talking about," Charlemagne said with a deep sigh. As for Artoria, there was gratitude expressed, and Charlemagne waved it off. Her expectations were off due to something else he wouldn't be mentioning directly in present company, though it had to be said in a roundabout way. "It was easy to tell. I know that face better than any other, demeanor aside. Jeanne always looked the same when it was time to make a diversion to end some boring speech or meeting. Besides, one of my current friends does something similar from time to time, so I couldn't forget the signs," he replied. Ah, but there was one more thing to explain. Sakura questioned the gesture of thumbs. Did he have an answer? Did anyone alive have an answer? Probably not, but... "It's uhh... just a gesture, I guess? People do it to say 'good job' or 'OK' or something like that. I couldn't tell you its origin or anything; I doubt anyone could."

Charlemagne was quite the interesting young man. According to him, he'd have a hard time looking away. The male population in general had such a problem, which is why they were in general so easily led astray by the visage of pretty people without looking much deeper. It took a great deal of discipline to see beyond. What was more the hiccup of his speech didn't go unnoticed by any of the young women here and Artoria would be the one who'd choose not to comment in a manner which could have been considered direct. "Research does indeed sound like how someone would excuse their browser history," she mumbled with a casual flicker of her eyes. Even so, she'd easily move on.

Angelica and Sakura were both soon treated to the idea that King Gilgamesh retained a form of Clairvoyance that led him to say the kinds of weird things he did. Both girls would only shrug at the knowledge. "I knew he had to know what those kinds of words would do," Sakura asserted. "I still haven't managed Clairvoyance myself, not directly anyway..." she said giving it a bit of thought. Angelica on the other hand would only huff, "Still like him, I think he's cool..." she said of Gilgamesh, Artoria could both agree and disagree but that was simply her nature. Having made a chair of Artoria which the Queen took she'd be quite relieved to be off her feet. "Oh, right. She did mention that the pair of you grew up together... Emi did not make this face so much when she was small the first time, and I make it only rarely myself. Though admittedly it is quite easy to forget that we share the same face," Artoria mentioned. "Still, I worry a bit for your friend," she said of the other person who might use such a face. The silent communication of young women was often a thing of tragedy or trauma rather than just happiness.

Whatever the case, Sakura would also receive an explanation of this thumbs up gesture from Charlemagne, much to the confusion of Artoria. That needed explanation meant several things. "Oh, you meant from this world and never from the other, but child of Nanshe... Metis did mention having something like a twin. I am trying not to think too much about it," Artoria murmured. There were far too many things being said here and now for Artoria to care too much. At the very least she wouldn't be tied into watching people do things she'd rather be doing herself.

"Yeah, it is... though my browser history is at critical capacity lately," Charlemagne admitted. He remained of a mind that this exchange was refreshing, that having an 'in-the-know' chat with someone from Gaia was precisely what he needed to relax a bit more. Such was especially the case while Sakura talked about clairvoyance as if it were an acquirable skill, surely meaning it was in her case. A discreet finger was pointed at the young goddess, kept in view of Artoria as if to draw attention to another ridiculous moment in Charlemagne's life. That same finger eventually targeted Angelica, who thought King Gilgamesh of all people was... cool. Actually, that one would garner a more direct response from the male. "Cooler than me?" he questioned with a strong upward inflection.

Talkative as she was, Jeanne had of course mentioned past dealings with Charlemagne to her sister. It was only natural to do so anyway, he figured... though it seemed the finer details were missing from those same stories, since Artoria managed to forget their similar expressions in a mere millennium. "Really? You'd think it would be easy to realize. Considering how often I've seen that expression when dealing with parliament, that's surprising to hear. Jeanne was in desperation mode more often than not," he mused.

Moving on right away, the matter of a simple gesture between humans resulted in Artoria reaching understanding. Indeed, Sakura was a special case even among Alaya locals. "Best not to think about any of it, really. Local to this world, only some number of months old, basically an AI interface... the list goes on. I'm still taking it in stride, but... bits and pieces, y'know?"

A nice chat with someone else who thought the world was ridiculous was about exactly what Artoria Pendragon needed. Between the various forms of her life so far and the years spent dealing with the worst this world had to offer as far as spoiled envious bratty gods went, she was quite pleased to know that one such as Charlemagne was grounded so to speak. "You and me both," Artoria could commiserate. She'd never been one for that kind of research but recently found herself with a way fuller plate than she ever thought possible. What was more, Charlemagne had been dealing with a different sort of problem the girl known as Sakura was apparently the type to go after Clairvoyance as a skill, and mentioned it in such a way that Artoria couldn't help but be shocked. The casual and discrete point of Charlemagne didn't go unnoticed. "I do not know whether to simply admire the faith she has in herself or stick her in the same box as the others..." Artoria mentioned. Ah, but soon enough the lad would be replying rather directly to the idea that Angelica thought Gilgamesh cool. He wanted to know if she thought the Golden King cooler than him and she didn't have an immediate answer, "Maybe not cooler, but differently cool? Does that work?" she asked looking around the room. Artoria graciously stayed out of that particular aspect of the conversation knowing that it was actually quite difficult to dislike Gilgamesh if you got past the initial abrasiveness of his personality.

According to Charlemagne the one known as Jeanne was quite often in desperation mode, not enough to simply be forgotten as a facial expression in a simple thousand years. "Oh? Interesting, she did mention not enjoying French Court, but I did not know she was panic leaving," she offered with a chuckle. She wondered what her younger sister's childhood had been like in this world and had been assured by their elder sister that she'd lived a good life within the world of Alaya. Still the oddities surrounding Sakura. Artoria was soon enough aghast so much so she found herself blurting out all the first thoughts in her head. "I beg your fucking pardon!" she exclaimed only to catch herself at the start of outrage. "I am not judging you, Charlemagne. There is simply something wrong with the fairness of this world if I have been alive for almost 1300 years and a child only a few months old has that body!" she announced. "Where is the rest of me?" The Queen of Knights sat back pouting her discontent. "Jeanne said you get upset really easily, but that's kind of awesome!" Angelica mentioned. Sakura understood the Queen's desires and shrugged. "Your mana circuits aren't open enough for your body to accommodate that kind of flow. You're on your way though... it's why you can't currently walk, and why it's taking you so long to process." Artoria looked at both these girls and could only smile. At the very least her sister picked good friends, Hoshimi Emi would always be given credit for that. "I swear it sounds like she just told me I am going through magical world puberty, I do not remember agreeing to such a thing a third time. I can only imagine what you have been dealing with, good of you to keep your mind in tact, Charlemagne. Though, that is not to say I am upset, at least all those references to me still cooking make a bit more sense, thank you," she offered Sakura who seemed to be quite pleased to be of assistance. She'd have to tell her mom the number of people in this world even at the top who didn't appear to have a sound understanding of their own physical nature.

"Condolences again," Charlemagne said, knowing Artoria had probably been through a very similar... Alaya awakening to himself. In fact, that would become a topic of discussion moments later ─ though only a while after Angelica answered a brief question. The Golden King was apparently not 'cooler' than Charlemagne, but still cool. Did that work? Technically, he thought it did... Technically. "It's the safe answer, but now I'll still remember you said that," he replied in an almost playfully threatening manner. As for Artoria and her comment about Sakura's potential clairvoyance, he understood the concern completely. Both he and Artoria had to deal with a certain clairvoyant immortal wizard, after all. "I don't think it's either, really. Ridiculous abilities are ridiculous, as I've already seen. And... I highly doubt we'd be seeing another white-haired Caster 'guiding' people until very conveniently missing the part where someone might be half-consumed and thrown from Chaldea to the lower world," he griped. Now that he thought about it, a few words had to be shared with Merlin when they next met.

Jeanne left out a great deal of information about her time spent in France. Frankly, he didn't blame her. "Neither of us wanted anything to do with those meetings. It was fine and entertaining when Queen Marie had something to say, but most times we had to deal with the out-of-touch old coots up top," he said with another sigh. Whatever the case, there was more to be addressed. Charlemagne figured there would be some issue with Sakura's age, considering her physical stature. Strangely, Artoria's problem with the matter was one of comparison against herself. Strange; he didn't imagine the Queen of Knights having such a demeanor. If nothing else, Charlemagne could officially count himself among the few who saw that woman lose her composure over anything. "Huh. Falling star," he commented absently. "Anyway, Saku's right; I've seen that sort of thing first-person. I just settled earlier, actually, and I feel way better for it. Well... I think I'm settled," he stated with only minor certainty. "For what it's worth, the process just feels like the aftermath of intense training or something. At least that's how it was for me; I just kept sleeping."

A nod came from Artoria, they could share condolences for eternity. Both she and Charlemagne seemed to have similar problems with the way the world worked. Ah, but the lad was showing himself to be quite the balance point of a person. It seemed he could easily enough defend himself against Angelica and even playfully threaten the lass while carrying on his conversations. "Remember what you want, I still said it!" Angelica said in her playfully terse way. Artoria looked at the lass with a raised brow. "Is that what that sounds like from the outside?" she murmured seeming to take a minor likeness between herself and Angelica and understanding it for what it was. This interaction was rather cute.

As they moved on, it seemed that Charlemagne had faith to believe that Sakura wouldn't become like a certain 'Caster' they both knew. She even got a few more details about what had been going on with that man. And though she knew from her sister that her court mage had been locked up within a secret tower for 'reasons' she still found his lack of care with the lives of others atrocious. "Oh, is that how that went for you? I thought it was just me, he guided to being king only to disappear the night an errant goddess sent rapists to my castle and then again when I spent a thousand years in captivity of a rapist gimp god with my consciousness buried," Artoria also griped. She understood how Charlemagne felt, it was annoying to put your hopes into someone and then have them disappear when they were most needed without even a hint about the storm on the horizon. "Hm, Merlin was nice to me..." Angelica said which made Artoria scoff. "Of course he was nice to you. He is always nice. But nice and good are two very different things," claimed Artoria. Everyone present should take that lesson. Artoria considered herself neither good nor nice, but she was moral which was about all anyone could ever expect of her. Artoria's minor outbursts aside, apparently there was a bit more information to go by as far as this 'processing' was concerned. Magical world puberty came with some implications to be explained by Charlemagne. The lad said the aftereffects of his settling was a bit like a workout and he slept a lot as a result. "Oh? That's useful information. I will keep it in mind. I have basically been on bedrest for days... I have begun to go stir crazy," she mumbled.

Page 81 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast