Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Templar Sanctum (Aincrad)

According to Charles, she'd been lied to about his leadership skills. "You're being modest. That is an amiable quality, but that doesn't change the facts of the situation..." she said, having one of those hard opinions of hers rear its head. Charles could claim all he wanted that he was bad at being a leader but the outcomes spoke for themselves. As for her own failure or winning at meeting new people she shrugged. "I suppose those odds aren't too bad. Even so I do try to make reasonable first impressions, while being as honest as I can," she said giving a little bit of a nod. Charles did a good job of comforting the lass with her awkwardness thus making him stand out more in her mind. In all actuality, it was dangerously close to her not actually losing her first friend, not that she could rightly explain that to someone like Charles.

Whatever the case, Charles offered to introduce the lass to her neighbors, about that she could only be excited. Regardless of the issues she maintained with her father, she'd actually very much enjoy meeting with some new people. Archbishop Turpin had given her a bit of information which made her think it might be possible for her to make a few more friends perhaps. "I'd like that... not Roland, but I feel like I could come to terms with everyone else. Especially the girls! I haven't seen another girl in ages! Well a new one, Bradamante stopped by a while ago~" she said her eyes were practically sparkling.

Oh? Charles had a response to the idea of marrying her and claimed that he couldn't marry a princess. He even claimed that she should talk her father out of such an arrangement, that only cemented him into the job more. Technically speaking Angelica didn't know much about the world, but her own understanding said arranged marriages typically weren't a good thing. Her earlier conversations with her only female friend had given her the idea that men who threw themselves at women of high status were out to get something and that letting parents arrange marriages would normally end up with someone like the parent in question ending up someone's partner. "I don't think talking 'sense' into him as you put it is in my best interest. As it stands, if I talked him out of you as a choice, I'd end up with someone I won't like who is more than likely more like him. That isn't exactly to my benefit besides," she said calmly sipping tea. "Have you ever stopped to think that the fact that your motivations aren't political or power driven is the exact reason you are worthy of such positions?" she questioned in a more direct manner. This lad might not understand all the nuances of this decision, but Angelica herself had chosen him and her choice was becoming more solidified by the moment. If he was worried about being a good emperor and worried about marrying then he'd likely put forth his best efforts if he got seated with either. The same was already true of his position as leader of a group. He had nothing to worry about, even if he didn't have the innate use of the confidence of his works to roll with. Actually, he really was reminding her more and more of a certain Saintly existence she'd once chatted with....

He wasn't being modest. It was only the truth that Charlemagne saw no qualities of excellent leadership in himself, regardless of what his own companions had to say. The only thing he managed to lead anyone into, was turmoil. Surely he'd be assaulted by an angry mob if he were put in charge of an establishment the size of Aincrad. Even with that being the case, the young man would put his best foot forward. If this whole emperor thing came to pass, he'd be sure Angelica had a way out of Floor 99 and kept in contact with any friends she made, he'd make sure Turpin had access to the type of work he wanted, and he'd even see to it that Bradamante and Ruggiero could spend more time in each other's company. He could at least see to all of that and a few more things before he was thrown out.

Sadly, it didn't seem like he would be lucky enough to never get the position at all. Angelica claimed it was not in her best interest to talk her father out of this choice. Well, Charlemagne was here to tell her why she was wrong! "But but but!" he started. She said talking Father An out of the decision would result in him choosing someone more like himself. Ah, that was something he could work with! "That! Who's to say he didn't pick me because he knows I'll become like that one day! Thirty years?! That's not a good start for married couples!" Ah, genius! If arguing his lack of leadership wasn't working, he'd rely on the notion that he'd make a terrible king to Angelica's queen. "Just think about that. You don't like how little your dad pays attention to you, but I'm not really much better. I just happen to be the only one visiting very much. A husband, your king, should be someone who can see you every day! You shouldn't have to sit around wondering when he'll be back or when he'll stop by, because you should be right beside each other all the time!"

Charles needed a few more ounces of confidence in his own work. But much like he found Angelica's brashness and anger endearing, she found his modesty to be a rather affable quality. Sure he wasn't bragging about his exploits nor believing in his own goodness, but that still didn't stop him from trying, and the trying was the most important part.

Something he was trying though, was to talk Angelica into talking to Father An. He didn't seem to know that Angelica had made this choice herself, but she also wasn't about to tell him immediately. There were several reasons for this, but the first one in her mind was that Father An would likely play this whole thing off as an arragement of his choice to solidify the minds of the people. It would be negative to interrupt that, besides, Charlemagne could spend all the time he wanted making claims one way or another, not realizing he was simply digging himself in deeper by the moment. Every bit of naysaying he managed only seemed to encourage Angelica. The first point on his list was separation and that one was rather easily handled. "Well, Bradamante and Ruggiero were separated for a long time by circumstances and they don't seem to like each other any less," she said with a knowing smile. Counter point one taken care of. So what was his second, that he could be viewed much like Father An himself, not at all... "So you're saying you don't plan to leave me alone on a singular floor with nothing to do, even when you can't be beside me... but would also take me on adventures and the like? It seems like you're doing a very bad job of pulling me over to your side on this, Charlie~" she teased just a little, still sipping tea somewhat triumphantly now.

Failure was nothing new to the one known as Charlemagne. Even so, this was looking like a crushing defeat in the making. Every time he said something to discredit himself, it only served the opposite purpose. That wouldn't stop him from trying. Bradamante and Ruggiero were obviously a special case, so his first point stood. "Those two don't count! They were into each other way before they got separated, so they had enough of a bond to stick through the absence! You were ready to take my head off after I'd been busy for thirty years!" he countered. Obviously that was reason enough for her to be skeptical of an engagement to him... right?

Wrong. That clearly wouldn't work, just as the matter of his absence wasn't working. Angelica took his words as reason to believe he'd leave her with comrades, and that he'd take her on adventures, etcetera. "What? Of course I would!" he exclaimed just before realizing what he'd admitted to. "Wait... I mean... no? That's not the point!" he looped back. Charlemagne decided to take a break, sip a bit more tea and collect his thoughts. This wasn't working out in his favor. Well, it was... but it wasn't. "Listen, you don't have to look at all the things you might believe are positive here. The bottom line is, marriage is a big deal, and you should give a lot of consideration to it. What about dating and stuff? You shouldn't marry someone for political reasons. Spouses are supposed to love each other, not be someone else's decision based on status!"

A comeback from Charles was in the making. How interesting. He claimed that the bond between Ruggiero and Bradamante was established a long time before their separation and also mentioned that she'd been about to bite his head off after he was gone for thirty years. Both of these things were true but it wasn't as if their friendship was anywhere near a short lived one. "We've been friends for ages, Charlie. And I already said I overreacted a bit. You said such qualities were endearing, you didn't change your mind about that did you?" she asked genuinely. They could talk in these circles all day, but the more Charlemagne tried to make himself out to be the bad candidate the more sure Angelica was that he was exactly the sort of man she'd like to be married to.

He even went on to confirm that he wouldn't have actually left Angelica out of any of his plans and would have made sure that she had companions. Of course, he immediately followed this up words of his own discouragement. He really didn't think he was good for this particular undertaking but Angelica found herself disagreeing more and more with each passing moment. Ah, he even went on to express that marriage should be important, not for political reasons but for spouses to love each other as well. "I do understand that people shouldn't just get married for political reasons. I am not completely obtuse," she said, finishing off her tea and sitting with her hands clasped in her lap. "As for dating that is sort of a new concept, I'd never even heard of it until Jeanne mentioned it to me ages ago, but by the logic she gave me, couldn't a lot of our outings up to this point be considered dates?" she asked. "I mean an arranged marriage isn't an ideal situation, but I like you... so I see no reason this couldn't grow into something. Unless you don't like me ..." she mused gently. She'd only help him get out of this particular situation if he truly didn't like her, his own ideas or if he had someone else he'd rather marry. That would sting a bit but she couldn't really hate him for that sort of thing.

True, the pair of them had been friends for ages─ several hundred years by now. He frankly considered Angelica to be no less of a friend or comrade than any of his Party, but that didn't mean he thought himself suited to marrying her or anything. Naturally, he hadn't changed his mind about the woman's endearing qualities. An adventurer marrying a princess and becoming an emperor was outlandish enough, but she was a holy symbol and he would become one too? That was ridiculous! "No I didn't change my mind! Why do you think this is normal?" he inquired.

It seemed he'd fight to the bitter end, if only to find some modicum of reason. Angelica, on the other hand, believed their previous outings over the years could be viewed as dates. Charlemagne was dumbfounded. Well... she wasn't wrong, but wasn't there something to making it official beforehand? "Well I mean... they could be called dates depending on how you want to look at them. We're not dating though; I'm not your boyfriend or anything! That was just friends hanging out, not like... kissing and stuff," he said almost sheepishly. Everything going on here was ridiculous. Charlemagne hadn't even gotten over the emperor thing, and now he was expected to be onboard with being wed to the Holy Princess?! "No, it's not that I don't like you or anything! Do you really believe it's so weird that I think this is a lot? Because this is way more than I can handle!"

There was an interesting question on the table for Angelica to consider. Why did she think it was normal? "I have no reason to assume it isn't normal. And if you didn't change your mind about my qualities then it isn't much of a problem~" she mused once more. This lad was jumping through several hoops to try and talk himself out of this situation, but Angelica hadn't quite put her finger on what about the situation made him so uncomfortable.

Perhaps it was something in the human condition which made this something which needed to be stated before hand. She did remember having a conversation with Jeanne in which the young woman had expressed some nervousness about introducing her significant other to her elder sister. Something about making sure they got along being important. The words of Charlemagne implied that he was upset by the idea that their relationship hadn't been clarified as such before this point. He even went all sheepish when talking about kissing? The mana transfer of the mouth, was this something to be embarrassed about? "Well, we've never kissed before but would you like to?" she asked seeming to find that to be a relatively easy thing to grant the lad. Ah but there was more, "I think you should take a deep breath," she said. "If I am being honest, I don't really understand what counts as a lot. Father said I'd been unmarried too long and told me to choose someone to be my suitor with the idea that this person would be Holy Emperor," she explained the fullness of the situation. "He told me to be certain and after this conversation I am more certain than I was before..." she said thoughtfully. "Also I would count those other incidents as dates, lives are a bit long to get hung up on the semantics of language."

"Well it's definitely not normal. People don't just jump into marriage like that! I mean... they do, when it's arranged. And this is arranged. But it's still not normal!" he insisted. Charlemagne didn't have much to go by, but he had to make every attempt he could. Maybe eventually, something would work. Maybe eventually, Angelica would realize this wasn't something she wanted, and she'd talk her father out of this nonsense.

Maybe... Charlemagne hadn't realized the most important fact about this situation. He would soon discover a truth that had been concealed since their discussion began. First though, he'd come to realize how available Angelica was willing to make herself, at least as he saw things. Would he like to kiss her? "Yes. I mean... wait, wait wait, what?!" Baffled was the young man at how quickly things evolved in this conversation. He couldn't take a deep breath; he couldn't even focus properly with all the hullabaloo. Ah, and things would be elevating even more. Angelica explained the whole of the situation, admitting that she'd been told to choose a husband that would then become the Holy Emperor. So... he'd been chosen as the number one candidate for emperor because he'd been chosen as Angelica's husband, not the other way around. Moreover, he'd been chosen as a suitor by the woman herself. She was certain when naming him, and even more certain after all of Charlemagne's naysaying. He couldn't win. Immediately, Charlemagne deflated over a now-empty teacup, his arguments all for naught. "What," he said. There was no upward inflection. It wasn't a question for Angelica, but a verbalization of his confusion. "Well that's just not fair. How can you even be certain? You don't know enough people yet; at least go out and meet some better candidates before you do something dumb like that."

According to Charles, all aspects of what was happening here were abnormal. She could take note of that for the future but it wasn't like that would change the conversation that was already happening. Whatever the case, he wouldn't succeed in shaking her faith in him. That being said he was saying some very contradictory things given the amount of naysaying he was delivering.

Whatever the case, when she offered him this kissing activity he claimed was a normal part of dating, he seemed agreeable and then confused. Angelica began to wonder if she as truly the abnormal one in this situation or not. "I asked if you wanted to kiss me and you said yes. I suppose that makes me feel a bit better, it'd be awkward if you weren't interested," she said seeming to understand the basics bit by bit as they conversed. Still, there were likely some complications, her father had explained Mana Transfer in its simplest terms, but given how skittish Charles was about even kissing she was beginning to wonder if there was a lot more to it than she had been told. Delving into that was going to be the use of the female friends, yes... girls a bit more worldly than herself could likely explain the nuances in a way a father wouldn't explain them to his daughter. Yes, that made sense.

Ah but now she watched him as he deflated over his teacup which was now empty. He claimed some level of unfairness and wondered how she was even sure. He went on to claim she should meet some better candidates before choosing him. "I don't know what about this isn't fair, but I know why I am certain," she said closing her eyes for a moment while she began to speak. Her body shifted and she was soon leaning her face into hands which were propped up on the table by her elbows. "You care, and not specifically about the church or the Templars but about the people and worry about the well-beings of others, including myself. You are interested in me, but not throwing yourself at me, which is a bonus, in my admittedly limited experience. You don't really want the job or title associated with this particular arrangement, so if you agreed to it, it'd be an earnest and honest endeavor. Besides all that, you just want to help people, and I think that is way more important for someone who is in charge of others than most other qualities. Because of that you won't simply throw your life away just because you're told to, which is also good for everyone including myself," she explained. As for the meeting of others she shrugged. "If you think it is a good idea for me to meet other people, I would agree to it. But anyone I spoke to, who had any idea what getting next could grant them would be untrustworthy... I told you before I am wary of people who think they are perfect," she said seeming to be firm her stance. Regardless, she'd do her best to comfort the lad across from her. "Don't look so sad, Charlie... it's not the sort of thing that will happen immediately. You've got plenty of time to let the idea grow on you. We can go on more official dates if you like and you can explain to me the significance of this 'boyfriend' title."

He may have slipped up and admitted that he would kiss the lass, but that was neither here nor there. It wasn't that he had no interest, though he hadn't considered the pair of them being an item in... ever. That matter was simple, though. She was the Holy Princess, he was an adventurer with a few lucky achievements under his belt. The whole 'princess and the pauper' thing didn't really work, right? Or... maybe it did. He had been randomly transported to a magical world as his own character from a video game, after all. He'd have entertained the idea of being some story protagonist if not for the others he'd met here from his original world.

Wait... that all meant Angelica was interested in him, didn't it?!

Whatever the case, she started listing the reasons he was her chosen candidate. All the things Angelica said were true, whether Charlemagne wanted to admit it or not. Her list was long and thought-out. He couldn't really argue any of her points anymore, at least not while everything from her mouth was spoken so genuinely. "I uh..." What could he even say? He still thought she should put more thought into this decision and be absolutely certain, but she insisted that there was nothing to immediately happen anyway. Charlemagne supposed he applied a bit more urgency than necessary in his own mind. Just as there was time for Angelica and Father An to choose someone else, there was time for him to mull over the chance he'd become emperor... and apparently Angelica's husband, anyway. "Right. It's not like there's going to be a wedding tomorrow or anything. I'm getting caught up in my own head. So... dates. Wait, does this count as a date too?! I'm still in armor!"

Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast