Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Templar Sanctum (Aincrad)

Their difference in education was one thing, but it was also a matter of logic. Angelica didn't have human logic, the idea that something as simple as a mana transfer offered to help would have any emotional complication was foreign to her nature. Sure, her father had taught her to be married before performing any transfers, but she'd assumed by nature of the teachings that this was a matter of making sure the right match was found first. Though that was strange to her as a divine existence as well, especially when she considered that she had a pretty reasonable mana sense and as such could at least guess at such combinations. But he was old fashioned and likely wished to have some say in the matter which is what she assumed. Regardless, the entire conversation was one she'd be left to mull over. Perhaps the human women would have something more legitimate to offer, Bradamante had a chosen partner she might be able to share the necessary information.

Moving on, she packed and exited her closet, choosing to forego changing clothes until she was certain it was a necessity. After all, if impressions were being considered she wouldn't want to make a startling one before someone like Charles even had the opportunity to make his better impression. Yes, that seemed right. Still, she took the lad's extended hand and began walking towards the palaza so they could descend to the 22nd floor. What would it look like? What kind of fun would they have? Whatever was coming she was looking forward to it. "Lead the way, Charlie!~" And just like that all the awkwardness fell away, yet another reason she enjoyed this lad's company.

Very soon after they reached the tower, Angelica was emerging to take Charlemagne's hand. She was indeed dressed just as she had been previously, so it was rather pointless of him to wait outside after all. No matter. Any tension or awkwardness of their previous discussions were dust in the wind, and excitement for another outing after 30 years was all he could think about. Besides, it had been a few hundred years now since he last visited his first house in Aincrad.

Leading the way down the rainbow path, Charlemagne kept his eyes trained on the teleport plaza. They descended the path, crossed the bridge, and eventually stumbled upon that stone monument surrounded by four small obelisks. Several glowing runes of some strange origin emerged from the monument and surrounded the pair, and then... they were suddenly standing in front of a similar monolith set in a plain of grass. On the outer edge of this small plain were small log cabins belonging to a village of residents, and beyond that was thin foresting. This was certainly the place Charlemagne remembered from his younger days in Aincrad... though it felt a bit different. Maybe the memory wasn't matching his growth as a person. "Welcome to the settlement of Coral! I'd have brought you here ages ago, but it didn't really seem up to par. It's a modest little place. Good home, though."

Hand in hand, Angelica and Charles walked through her newly renovated floor only to reach the teleport Obelisks. They were a strange thing, but she'd recently begun wondering if she could modify them, or at the very least disguise them a bit better so they didn't ruin her décor. Whatever the case she was soon confronted by an interesting scene. A gathering of log cabins, small amounts of trees and wide expanses of space. "Ooh? I didn't know you could build with wood like that~" she mused seeming to find the cabins themselves rather interesting. Even so, Charles explained that he used to live on this floor and would have brought her here earlier except that it didn't seem up to par.

A casual shrug came from someone like Angelica in a moment like this. "Hm, I don't know about that... this place is a little lacking in mana density but it makes up for it by looking very different from other places," she said seeming to have taken a bit of a liking to this simple style of design which was obviously the fault of the humans who settled the space. "It seems like it would have been a pretty peaceful place to relax after an adventure," she said while having a look around. She didn't think her words would be taken badly by Charles, she'd realized a while ago that she could say things that sounded rude, but they were mostly just observations. In this case, she'd started saying the nicer things she thought along with the criticisms figuring it would take the edge of any potential bitterness. "So then, which one is yours, and did you build it yourself?" she wondered. She'd really gotten into building and making things and wondered if Charles had any aptitude for it or if this was the sort of place that had craftsmen, that would also be pretty interesting.

Charlemagne couldn't tell what exactly was different about his old home. He was sure it was something, but... it didn't matter much, right? This was a new experience for Angelica, particularly when it came to the structure of buildings at this level. Nothing was made of wood upstairs; everything was some sort of mana-conductive material. The more normal humans at this level weren't experienced enough with mana manipulation, and thus resorted to more mundane structures. "Yeah you can! This kind of wood-building isn't the sort that takes magic or anything like that. This is all just good old-fashioned axe, a mill, and some hard labor!" he explained without much prompting. This was the height of humanity. In a magical world, the innovation to create without magic using the few things that couldn't be used via magical means was the ultimate form of development.

Alas, there was also something going in the other direction. This floor lacked mana density, according to Angelica. Was that it? Was that the strange feeling he had? Yes, it may have been. The people moving about on this floor were never powerful, but there was a certain additional weakness to them now. Maybe the generations had not been very kind. "Huh, weird. It used to be way more consistent with the floors above," he said absently. As for this floor being peaceful reprieve after adventures, Angelica was very correct. "It was. A nice fire going on cool nights, a cup of hot chocolate, a long bath, fishing right when the morning dew is perfect... there's almost nothing better. Tack on the extra relaxation of just getting back from tough adventures, and it can't be beat!" he rambled.

Now then, which building was his? It wouldn't be found so easily. When asked about it, Charlemagne began walking. A few waves were offered to pedestrians here and there, and soon, a long stone path would pave the way to a larger cabin just outside the village. "I wanted mine as close to the lake as possible, so I could have a spot for fishing and diving straight from my back porch. I'd like to say I built it, but... not completely. Most of it was me. For the windows, I got some help from the village, and... I found out I'm terrible at roofs, so some of the locals back then pitched in for that. Mostly, I guess I just slammed a bunch of cut logs together until it counted as walls. . ."

Information poured from Charlemagne. In the moments where he was speaking about the wood-working of mortals. Apparently this was something done with tools and non-magical things like that. Wood didn't conduct magical energy if it wasn't still connected to the earth, making it a non-viable material for builds of the sort that Angelica was used to. How interesting that humans managed to do something similar with just manual labor and skill. "Wow, that's so innovative," she chimed. If there was one bit of credit she was willing to give humans, despite their oddities surrounding Mana Transfers credit for being really creative.

Apparently, Charles hadn't been to this floor in a while. The lad spent their time walking and waving to random locals apparently only noticing the lack of mana density of the area after it was mentioned by Angelica. "Definitely feels a bit light, but my senses are a bit hyperactive to start with..." she mused. This was the truth as she understood it. Her type of existence and her living on the top floor meant she was always bathed in mana. She moved on just as easily though, relaxing a she walked with Charles, she found herself smiling at people as he spoke of relaxing after adventures in a strangely normal way. "That sounds like it was really fun and exciting for you. I'm a little jealous having so many relaxing activities line up~" she said in a manner most teasing. Still, given he was going out and doing things she couldn't blame him.

Ah, but there was still more. Apparently, Charles wasn't wholly responsible for all of the creation of his cabin. But it'd been a cooperative project in which he'd learned extra how to make things he didn't know how to create as well as getting extra help with the things he found himself incapable of doing. "So you learned new skills, and got help in areas you couldn't complete yourself? That's such a good way to handle it as a problem..." she said her excitement never wavering. Even if it wasn't a project he could complete alone, no one could speak ill of a properly undertaken multi-person project. "And you got a whole lake side retreat out of it!~" she seemed to be more excited by the moment. She truly didn't understand in moments like this, how he didn't understand how well suited he was to leadership positions. It was one thing to boss others around but it was entirely different to learn new processes and get involved in your projects at such a depth. It was always so satisfying to her to make a change even magically, she imagined having a hand in the building of your own place from the ground up was gratifying beyond reason.

It came as no surprise that Angelica appreciated the creativity of wood buildings, having never seen them before this day. As long as he'd known her, she'd taken a special interest in crafts of varying sorts. Even if she wasn't always prattling on about creations or erecting full palaces, the light in her eye when doing or seeing such things was always very obvious. As they walked through the village, Charlemagne saw that light once again. "You're gonna love Floor 70!" was all he could say while watching her excitement.

The lower quality/quantity of mana on this floor was a little strange, but nothing too ridiculous in Charlemagne's mind. There were a great many potentials that could be factored into the situation. If no one was suffering though, he couldn't consider it an issue. Now was a time for additional relaxation the likes of which they spoke of along the way. The pair approached the log cabin belonging to Charlemagne, at which point he stopped to let the lass ascend the set of eight stairs leading up to the front porch. He'd naturally fall in place behind her, then step out ahead to open the door. "Yeah, it was pretty awesome, and so was the end-result! It's really satisfying being able to see something great and know you had a part in it. Nothing like a pet project!" he mused while opening the door., activating magical sconces which ignited their own flames in the presence of mana. Just inside was a sitting room with two beige couches, each in front of a tall window and separated by a square coffee table. Before that sight of the rear wall though, there was a stone fireplace to the right, viewable by another couch with two side tables on either end. Charlemagne's favorite part of that section may have been the rug made from the pelt of a golden, winged lion. It was only part of the pelt, the rest being offered to Father An, but it remained a rare point of pride for Charlemagne. "Uhh... I didn't think this through completely. I don't have anything to eat here after being gone for so long. I do have an idea though, if you're hungry and interested in seeing what adventurer life is like," he said while looking toward a group of long, wooden rods leaned against the rear wall.

"That's what you said last time!" she said being playfully terse. The last time they'd spoken, Charles had stated she'd love floor 70. And they'd been having a similar conversation then, so she assumed whatever the buildings were like there she'd never seen anything like them before. Forget the fact that she remembered such a random utterance, it was obviously in large part due to her limited contact with the outside world and there was nothing to be embarrassed about.

Regardless, as they approached Charles' cabin he came to a certain set of conclusions. The first of which was about the greatness of a pet project. And given that information he let her walk up the steps and into his cabin. Once inside, her eyes widened. It was a cozy place. Two magical lights sparked to life when they entered. There were two couches facing each other, perfect for conversation and a rug of high mana density which could have only been the winged gold lion that Charles had taken down a long time ago. "Woah! This place is really nice... it's so cozy!" she exclaimed. That was the right word. She wasn't speaking against this place in the slightest. She was used bare walls, high ceilings, and lofty open air atriums. There was a certain warmth in this closed in space, she could only attribute to humanity.

Whatever the case, beyond this, Charles mentioned not having any food. And claimed he had an idea if she was willing to see the life of an adventurer. "Well, I am willing to try most things... what did you have in mind?" she asked. Whether or not she was hungry at the moment wasn't the point. In a place with low mana density she'd end up hungry regardless, so she might as well have a bite to go along with this date idea that Charles was so keen on them experiencing.

As they entered the cabin, Charlemagne continued moving forward. Attached to the sitting area to the left was the kitchen, but a small hallway behind that was where he would focus eventually. Angelica thought the cabin was cozy; she was right. "Isn't it? I like the gaudier stuff because it's so cool, but nothing says 'home' like a comfortable little spot with just the necessities!" he asserted. For a time, this very cabin was his favorite place to be. It didn't have that same energy nowadays, but he also had a long list of friends and comrades that made other places feel more like home than any building ever could.

As for Charlemagne's plan, he took a moment before entering the hall to look more directly at the rods across the room. "Fishing! We can go out back to the lake and live off the land just a bit. It's sort of a necessity when adventuring, but it can be really relaxing regardless. Besides, nobody goes to this end of the lake. The legendary fish still pop up at this end though~" he chimed. While speaking, Charlemagne worked off the singular gauntlet he wore. The armor had to go. If he recalled, there were a few articles of clothing remaining in this place─ at least ones fitting a random visit. He'd find out soon, but first he stripped himself of the gauntlet and began fiddling with his faulds. "Oh, and the swimming! That's still an option," he added, assuming Angelica was more prepared for that than fishing.

Charles claimed to like the more extravagant things he normally saw, but said that this sort of place said 'home' with its bare necessities. "I could see that. A place like this seems like it would be nice for getting away from everything," she mused. Moving on from that, Charles had started trying to get off his armor and speaking on his actual idea here. Fishing, apparently legendary fish still appeared at this end of the lake and no one else would come here so it was actually a pretty reasonable spot for a small vacation for the both of them.

"I've never been fishing but it sounds like fun. And I don't mind living off the land or anything. I have no idea how it would be relaxing but I'm sure it'll come to me..." she stated seeming to have a good idea of how this was going on. Since it was obvious that there was a change in wardrobe and the like about to happen, Angelica started about her own, starting to fiddle with her dress while throwing her hair over her shoulder so that she could reach the fasteners along her back. All the while seeing nothing wrong with the activity taking place. "Swimming also sounds pretty fun~" she said happily. Ah, all she had to do to make that happen was affix herself into this bathing suit and hat combo she'd brought and then they could go swimming.

"It is. Every now and again, I think about coming here whenever I get time. I never get the time of course, but hey, I've got a bit now for that exact purpose!" said Charlemagne. This didn't technically count as getting away from everything, but he didn't need to escape everything. Besides, there was a relatively small amount of time for relaxation, though it was more than he'd known in many, many years. He'd make the most of it without a doubt. All would begin once he got rid of that armor and found something worth wearing.

Of course, Angelica had a change planned as well. She'd never been fishing, much to Charlemagne's expectations, so he thought to offer a bit of advice. "Then I suggest you go for whatever you planned to swim in. If there's anything else, just throw something light over it for the fishing... or skip that part entirely; it doesn't make much difference," he explained as faulds hit the floor. Charlemagne seemed to be piling his armor up against the rear wall, but... what was Angelica doing? By the time he looked, it seemed she was jumping the gun just a bit. Naturally, Charlemagne stopped messing with the buckle of his greave and stared, dumbfounded by the thought crossing his mind. "Uh... what are you doing?"

Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast