Page 41 of 62 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Templar Sanctum (Aincrad)

Something powerful. That was the description of the Nexus. Charles seemed to have some sort of understanding of it, but it apparently wasn't enough of one. He claimed it was a thing a deck was only allowed to have one of, because it was so strong. "Hm, that sounds strange, I don't know what that means enough from a statement like that," Angelica said, it was a hard concept to wrap the mind around. Luckily they weren't in this place alone the man known as Geoffroy seemed to know that the gods weren't stuck in such a place he claimed it to only be the Nexus. "I don't think the gods are quite so stuck anymore anyway. My mom said she was planning to retire, that she was using her link to me to leave. She said it was a gift from the Mother. Not Jeanne, but whoever that was originally," she said drawing back on former knowledge but still not really having enough to go on. It was kind of annoying.

Regardless Angelica was starting to understand when things this man said referenced her instead of anyone else. Well, that was odd, perhaps he meant whatever Angelica would grow up to be would have a better understanding. His logic didn't seem to be rooted in normal time progression. Still that man's words also didn't clear it up enough for Angelica. "You said you weren't the only one who came from that other world. And that some got here a different way, would they be able to explain it in a way that made more sense? Because the only part of this speech I kind of understand right now, is that you and Father are somehow similar or equivalent in his mind and I am not sure why that might be the case either," she asked after Charles had been released though slapped in his head. Most of what Geoffroy said didn't make sense, but perhaps more context clues would help them figure out exactly what was going on between all these people using similar names and title. "Whatever the case, it sounds like Jeanne definitely wasn't praying to any sort of demon. Which makes sense, because Jeanne was never innately religious she just wanted to help people," she said of the woman who was known as a saint. Or rather The Saint.

"It's something like... Imagine a human wielding a Divine Artifact against a group of kittens. That's the sort of power a Nexus card could have," Charlemagne explained, knowing there were very few players who even managed to acquire Nexus cards. He had one to his name, and he'd never even had the chance to play it even then. Regardless, Angelica presumed the gods were not 'trapped' within this Nexus as Charlemagne figured. Her mother did claim the gods were set free. Perhaps they were stuck there previously, and were just successfully leaking out? "Hmm. Then maybe they were there? Maybe one of those gods was linking to Jeanne from the Nexus, and she─OW!"

For the second time, Charlemagne had been slapped in the head by Geoffroy. This time, it was enough to cause an impact and leave him rubbing the point of contact. "Why?!" was all he could say. "Father stupid. Weak. Child, also stupid. Wife better. Find Wife, less weak Father. Less stupid. Think, stupids! Wife, Temptress, find! Nexus with Mother!" The way Geoffroy said those last words, Charlemagne couldn't be sure what he meant. What order were those words meant to be in? Whatever the case, Angelica was onto something with the idea of asking others from his original world. "You know what? Yeah. Let's ask Olivier, or I guess... cold devil woman. Maybe she's got some direction," he said, moving toward the exit. In that time, Geoffroy looked toward Angelica while addressing both visitors. "Trust Therage. He knows you can know~"

Apparently the power of the Nexus in Charles understanding of it was nearly absolute. Even so, that didn't actually make sense to Angelica either. Of course, it would only come to make more sense as time went on, but she wouldn't get to know that. No, because right at the moment, Geoffroy was insulting them both. Ah, but that only came after another smack to the back of Charles head. "I think those hits are a sign you're on the wrong path in your thinking," said Angelica. She could potentially see why someone would do that. Especially with Geoffroy being properly incapable of communicating his thoughts in a way which made sense to anyone talking to him. He had to do whatever necessary to get his point across.

According to the man they needed to find Wife and Temptress. Wife to Angelica seemed to be a reference to herself though apparently not as she was right now. Perhaps this man had more than just the past jumbled up in his head. And he was actually trying to give instructions but he couldn't because his mind was currently wrong? Yeah, Olivier had described his as 'broken' perhaps it was his mind that broke and made him seem insane? That seemed logical. Whatever the case, it seemed that Olivier was the person to ask more direct questions and Charles equated her with the 'cold devil woman' but didn't receive a smack for it. "Why cold devil woman?" asked Angelica.

Olivier was at least paying attention so she was ready to open the door when they reached it, all the while Angelica had a sentence hit her ears that made it seem like this crazed man had some level of faith in them. Perhaps, if they figured this mess out they could get Jeanne to talk him down, it might help him to know she didn't hate him. Ah, whatever the case, Olivier found herself replying to the question she'd heard as she opened up the cell door. "Because he has a unique understanding of the natures of people he has contact with... do neither of you sense it?" she asked of them seeming to have no problem being straight forward the nature of her being in case they weren't aware. She had a little test ready if neither of them truly understood her nature.

"I think these hits are a sign that my brain is too stationary," Charlemagne insisted. At this rate, his brain would enter a continuous game of pong, bouncing between either side of his skull for all time to come. They had all the information they could get from this man either way, so Charlemagne was content to leave him alone. Of course, that didn't occur without Geoffroy offering some parting words to the pair. He knew they could know? What a weird way of speaking, though that was the most sensible thing Charlemagne heard from him thus far. "If everything else he said was like that, I'd have a way better time getting his weird message."

Olivier was quite the attentive jailer, as always. Before Charlemagne even knocked or called out, she was opening the door and letting them out. She even had an immediate response to Angelica's curiosity, at least the one involving Olivier herself being called 'cold devil woman' by Geoffroy. That man clearly had a unique understanding of others and... probably everything else, based on his general mannerisms. Now then, what was this thing about Olivier as the cold devil woman? There was something to sense, but she felt the same as always to Charlemagne. He'd never noted anything evil about her, despite her questionable methods, so the epithet of devil made no sense to him. "The only thing I sense here is the prisoners. Everything else feels normal. Well... except her," he mused, nodding toward Angelica to point out her strangeness as of late. "Though apparently, I'm also weird today. What's the deal?"

"Well maybe it'll get moving?" Angelica offered though it was mostly jest. At least they seemed to be capable of moving on from this point. They'd be greeted at the door by Olivier without much incident or even needing to alert her to their return. It seemed she was indeed attentive, but if she wasn't she would have died a long time before now. It was part of her instinct to be so aware of her own surroundings. Whatever the case, after leaving the space she shut the door to the cell behind them looking in on Geoffroy and shaking her head. This poor man was in a bad way and there was never any way to fix it, that she could find.

But there were more important things on the list right now. According to Charles he felt nothing odd about Olivier. She felt to him as she always did and he only knew for a fact that Angelica felt strange and that he was weird because Angelica told him so. Ah, that would make a bit of sense. A small bit of information would come from Olivier about the things she'd come to understand. "Mana signatures are acknowledged by individuals strangely, in the case of most normal humans, their mana sense ends up connected to whatever ever sense they've trained the most. To me, you smell a bit different, slightly stronger, a bit like her and like someone else, but I can't exactly place it," she said her nose up in the air. "Meanwhile she... smells like the open sky on a starry night. That probably doesn't make sense but that's what I'd equate it to," she said with a casual shrug. "As for what about me, it's easier to skip the questions, both of you touch the mark with your senses active, you'll understand," she said with completely related posture. What mark, the visible one right above the start of her cleavage visible to all.

Angelica looked at the lass, she was willing to play along and reached out with one finger, leaving room for Charles to also touch the mark on her chest. When both of them touched it, a pulse would occur, which was more akin to a minor leak. Cold would be the feeling but it wasn't just cold, it was like running into a head wind in the middle of a blizzard and the blizzard was consciously trying to tear you apart, literally trying to destroy everything it could even through that finger. Of course it wouldn't actually happen but that was the source of Olivier's power. Angelica's eyes widened as she looked up at Olivier, whatever that power was, felt... opposite of what Angelica was herself. "What is that?" she asked seemingly confused by the contradiction between the woman who was so nice to her, and the obvious destructive power within her body.

Charlemagne knew of the various manifestations taken by one's sixth sense in this world. He'd encountered those who saw, those who smelled as Olivier herself could, those who heard, and those like himself who just... felt. According to Olivier, the oddity of him was that he smelled a bit like Angelica and... someone else. The former made sense, considering how the day had gone thus far. The latter... well, there was no sense to be made of that at all. Maybe it was one of those strange figures, or even Angelica's mother. Whatever it was, there was little need to consider it at this exact moment.

Both he and Angelica were instructed to touch the mark Olivier bore. Charlemagne knew it to be connected to her power somehow─ some form of blessing or protection perhaps. Strange though it was to reach out for something placed there, it was hardly worth arguing when Angelica was already in motion. Charlemagne's forefinger reached the other side of that mark. From it, he felt something that very much fit the bill of Olivier's personality. It was cold, abrasive, even dominating in many ways. If he took out the connection to Olivier, he could equate it to something else. What was it? "It's..." he started in the wake of Angelica's question. "Wrong. I think? It still feels normal, but if I had to look for something weird, I'd compare it to a Demonoid."

Words shared about the nature of their beings and what they felt like currently was something they should just sit on. Olivier thought it was familiar and she would know in an instant if she felt it again, but it was one of those things her senses likely ignored for whatever reason. That was fine though, they were able to move on from that and to the main event of their encounter. It seemed that the most shocked of the pair was Angelica that much was to be expected. She wanted to know what it was but was confused by it. Charles likened it to a Demonoid, but seemed capable of ignoring that little itch in his mind as he connected it to Olivier.

"It isn't wrong. I am not fully certain, but I do know the evil of this particular power. It is conscious and very much for the destruction of as many things as possible. In fact, it tried to destroy me at first," she said quizzically. "I didn't know what it was at first, because I was at my base just a very talented human hunter. My sense of smell was heightened but that was a matter of skill, this however is something that was given to me," she said about the mark on her chest. "And I am almost certain it is demonic in nature, but I am not evil, at least I don't think I am. So, I think those words aren't quite synonymous," she said carefully. But all of this being the case would be quite odd. Why was she allowed to exist in what should have been purely holy knights as a major person of influence if her power was evil by everything other people were being taught about it? "Regardless, I've found that Geoff, doesn't lie, even when his words don't make sense initially," she expressed. Angelica looked astounded. "I might have to ask my mom some questions. Though I don't feel like she's bad that power feels like its in opposition to me... I can't really explain it," Angelica said. "There are several things that say opposites exist in balance. There is nothing to say those opposites have to work against each other," Olivier expressed her own personal philosophy. "After all, I get along with Renaud and he is all fiery. But that is getting a bit off topic, did you have some other question?" she said with a wave of her fingers. Of course, this was probably a lesser contradiction than the idea of demon and relative angel. But perhaps there was something more to that comparison as well.

Olivier insisted that the feeling he got wasn't wrong at all. Her power was something evil with a consciousness of its own, and an apparent history of destructive tendencies. To Charlemagne, none of it made sense. He'd seen her Skills activate dozens, if not hundreds, of times. Never had his own ability registered it as evil, demonic or otherwise. Demons, aggressive monsters, even humans with negative intentions─ all were easily felt by Charlemagne. "But I should have felt that. It doesn't make any sense," he claimed, pulling his finger away and staring into it curiously.

Geoffroy was not a liar, according to Olivier. If anyone could say such a thing with certainty, it was her. As such, him addressing her as 'cold devil woman' was to be considered accurate, crazed though he was. Maybe it was a good idea for Angelica to ask her mother, but even that left the question of how. This mention of balance was sensible, so maybe the answer was simpler than Charlemagne thought. Perhaps Olivier's power was worth considering the finer details of. It was always possible that her Mystic Code was fabricated in such a way as to replicate demons, or even localized their base power to fight against them. He'd seen that sort of thing in a few manga series; it wasn't too farfetched. Regardless, Olivier left herself open to receiving additional questions. "Just one, I think. You played AoE, right? What was the significance of the Nexus in lore?" he wondered, having only the trading card game as solid reference.

There was something to be said about Charles senses not realizing the nature of Olivier's powers. She didn't seem to find anything wrong with it, but she wondered then if he'd noticed the others in their group. "You might want to sharpen your senses a bit more. I am far from the only one to possess a power that Geoff would call 'devil' even within our group," she said though that wasn't meant to inspire fear. "But I am sure if you know what you're looking for it will be easier for you to notice from now on, even from us," she said seeming to think this was all fine. Regardless, there was a bit more to be done here and she'd opened up the floor for questions.

Strangely this lad chose to ask about the Nexus, and for a moment Olivier was a bit dumbfounded. She spent a while processing that particularly inquiry in her mind for a second or two before she could begin the answer. "Oh, right... you played the card game... it's weird knowing that not everyone who comes here has the same base knowledge," she said seeming to shake away her surprise just a bit. "The lore importance of the Nexus is a bit ambiguous, so I'll tell you what it does and you can decide for yourself what you think it is," she said seeming to not know what to do to explain it. "The Nexus is everything to you, it's how you touch the world. You need to upgrade your Mystic Codes or evolve skills. Nexus. Do you need to make sure you can reach safety? Nexus. Do you need to clone your Mystic Code because of a hardcore world event? Nexus. Literally the Nexus is all things you could need. It even pings you if you're near something that could potentially help or change your build," she said giving it a bit more thought. "There was even a rumor that a VR update would make it speak to you so...." Olivier's words didn't really make sense to Angelica. One of those otherworld things that didn't quite click in her mind, but she would be capable of summarizing it. "So the Nexus is a Supreme God to others who entered the world the same way you did?"

"But that's still not right," he interjected. "My Skill is automatic. I don't go looking for devils; they just register to me whether I want them to or not. If I don't sense it the same way, there's something different about it. Maybe it's you..." Charlemagne's musings would continue internally for some time. Apparently, others in their group were similar to Olivier. There was no way he could miss multiple counts of demon influence and the like, so he now had something to consider long-term.

Consideration would have to take a break, however. Charlemagne had only experienced Age of Eternity's card game, so Olivier had information he could never know without a player of the video game handy. She described the Nexus as... everything. Interface, tooltips, even core gameplay systems were encompassed by the Nexus. Angelica's opinion was uninformed, yet still consistent with where Charlemagne's mind had taken him. She considered the Nexus a supreme god of some sort. Charlemagne was thinking much the same, but not that it entered the world in the same way they did. No, he thought maybe the Nexus and the One God were the same individual. "Or... maybe Jeanne came to understand that the Nexus is God. What if she knew that, and it not being a title known in this world was cause for assumed heresy? I mean, it would sound like a completely random name to anyone here, but it would make total sense to someone like Liv or me right now... right?"

Page 41 of 62 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast