Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eternal Sanctum (Holy Knight Headquarters)

Charles apparenlty thought it wasn't very odd that Sakura wasn't afraid of the creature. He pointed to her casual ability to potentially alter fate as being among the main reasons she likely couldn't be rendered fearful. "I don't know about that... fear seems to be directly connected to emotional responses, I figured it was a matter of logic not ability," she said seeming to find the assertion odd but she did understand how he came to such a conclusion. It was interesting to consider at the very least.

Beyond that point there was the matter of her favorite food. It seemed Charles seemed to find something odd in that but ones favorite foods were simple enough to explain. She looked at the lad with a raised brow at his statement but since he was content to move on to matters of cooking she let it go. Her strawberry finished the remaining stem disappeared from her hand. Of course, this wasn't really a problem as it seemed that Charles had some interesting thoughts about the amount of cooking Anais would be doing. "It isn't too excessive, to become the apprentice of one of my fathers is to become the student of all of them. Anais, is Otou-chan's direct apprentice and he is an elf so the amount of skills she could gain are quite numerous simply because of how long he's lived and how much he's learned. Cooking and Alchemy are quite similar at base and require the same principle knowledge to do well..." she said simply.

Even fear was something Sakura related to emotional responses. Charlemagne couldn't have disagreed more if he tried. She presented herself as one who applied logic to all things, yet Charlemagne thought logic leaned to the other side in this case. "That has to be some weird goddess logic. Fear in humans always boils down to survival instinct. If something feels like a danger to your life or livelihood, you're supposed to be afraid of it. Fear makes you stronger ─ it helps you overcome a dangerous situation," he replied, knowing fear was one of the many things that kept humans alive in times of danger. "What would a reality-bender even have to fear? You don't seem to make emotional connections, so I doubt you would feel fear on someone else's behalf either."

Charlemagne took the time to wipe tomato juice from his chin. In that time, Sakura explained that Anais was the apprentice of Ailen, and was therefore the student of the entire group. That sounded like a very busy schedule, but Anais did always seem to be the model student type; she would probably be enjoying herself. Of course, there was also the... interesting way things were done in Munetsuchi. Combined with Anais's sudden change in physique, and the fact that he'd seen Sakura actively undergo a similar transformation, he figured her method of learning had to be a topic never worth bringing up in conversation. "That's a massive can of worms I never intend to open," he said while scratching his scalp. As for alchemy's similarities to cooking, he supposed there was no room to argue at all. "Huh. I guess that's one of those things you never think about, but it super obvious when you hear it. Well... if your dad doesn't make it, I'll find out if Annie can at some point. It sounds pretty good."

Goddess logic. That is what Charles thought of Sakura's equating fear to an emotional response. He claimed in the same statement he would have instead called it an instinctual response, to threats to one's survival and livelihood. He claimed that one was supposed to fear in those cases and that in those cases fear made one stronger, to overcome the dangerous situation. She looked at him strangely but then she gave it a bit of thought, she could understand why he thought that the case, but since humans didn't all react to the same stimuli it would be harder to give that association. "I'll have to observe it more. It still seems more emotional than automatic considering the number of humans who routinely ignore survival to do other things," she said having thought of several instances where humans chose to act against the necessities of survival for reasons she did not entirely understand. Moving on from that, there was the matter of the apparent lack of emotional connections formed by Sakura herself. There was a fairly logical response for this, "I don't think my abilities have much to do with it. The people I am already emotionally attached to can more than take care of themselves. I don't have to feel fear for them and even those who are more mortal would make their way back eventually, so fear for them is unnecessary," she explained of her own logic. Her parents were gods or god tier beings living on the lower part of the world, there wasn't much that could even hurt them. Fear for others surrounding things like death didn't happen because she understood death as a mechanism already.

And then she watched as Charles wiped tomato juice from his mouth. Her explanation of the studies of one like Anais seemed to go far enough for a general understanding. But for whatever reason Charles didn't want to go into more detail about it. He used a phrase which caused confusion on the face of Sakura, "Context says you don't want to talk about it more, but why a can of worms?" she asked genuinely not understanding that particular statement at all. Beyond that matter was dessert and the claim that if her dad didn't make it then he'd find out if Anais would or could. Whatever the case he was keen to try it and she would enable him a bit in a rather innocent way, "I mean you can still do that if you like, but if Otou-chan only makes it for me, I'd share it with you..." she offered. It was her favorite and it would be good if she allowed him to have some too. Besides she'd be getting it based on finishing her new skill and that was at least partially Charles fault so she could easily share her reward with him.

Once more, it was made clear that the two would not agree. Sakura still believed fear to be something emotional, and still, Charlemagne was firm in his belief. "Emotion overpowers instinct. Where do you think courage comes from?" he questioned rhetorically, seeming to carry a tinge of annoyance toward the continued topic. Sakura had further explained her standpoint, touching on 'emotional' connections and why she did not know fear on behalf of those important to her. It all sounded ridiculous to Charlemagne. As a human, one who held emotional connections in high regard, the concept of such things were far too foreign for him to accept. "That doesn't even sound reasonable to me. Anyone can run into a bad time. People might come back when they die here, but that doesn't mean they'll..."

He paused there. The longer such discussions went on, the more bothersome they were. Yet again, Charlemagne found himself having to accept the differences and move on. "Never mind. It's not worth it," he said with a deep sigh. With all that swimming around in his brain, another jab came in the form of a question. Why a can of worms? In the world he'd come from, Sakura would easily make herself one of the most bullied individuals in any school... and she might not even know what was happening. "It's just a saying," he responded. Charlemagne was soon walking again, taking a longer path toward the sanctum to enter from a different place entirely. Along the way, he processed the offer for shared almond tofu. Even in his current state, Charlemagne's values remained the same. "It's your favorite. I couldn't ask for any off your plate; you're obviously excited for it."

Emotion overpowered instinct, that was courage according to Charles. Emotions also overpowered logic... Sakura was confused by humanity's extended survival. If a singular kind of thing could override both their natural instinct to survive and their natural ability to think it seemed like humans made themselves very easy targets for turmoil. Humans were now emotional wrecks fighting both logic and instinct for feelings. Were they truly trading both factual depth and instinct for simple sensations they couldn't rightly explain? Whatever the case, she'd remain listening intently right up until Charles stopped talking mid-sentence. Whatever his thought pattern was, he didn't deem it worth continuing. He seemed almost frustrated, that was odd. Was it simply a matter of not knowing? A matter of being for so long a person developing he didn't imagine what it was like to not have to? Or perhaps it was closer to his own understanding than that, and he thought of someone like Jeanne as changed by the experience of her death... though that was obviously her personal choice given her status as a witch. Perhaps it was all too magical and too opposed to his known truth, for him to deal with mentally... that seemed like a reasonable hypothesis. "Sou ka..." she murmured seeming to understand such a topic was somehow touchy for reasons she didn't truly understand.

Moving on, they'd begun walking again... this time taking quite the long path to head into one of the other doors. According to Charles though the 'can of worms' bit of his statement was just a saying. Oh, so it was a colloquialism related to a topic one didn't want to go into depth about. She could understand that... she might even like it. Perhaps that could be added to her statements later... yes, that made sense. Until such a time as that, the lad seemed content to turn down the offer of sharing her favorite food with her. "Well of course I am excited it is my favorite," she said seeming to think nothing of it. "But I offered and that is different from asking. I've never shared with anyone before and I decided to share with you... You said we're friends and friends share, especially things they like and are their favorites," she explained her logic almost childishly. It was strange to turn down something offered freely. Stranger still to claim friendship while not committing to the actions that friends do.

Onward they went. Charlemagne had nothing more to say along the more serious topics previously discussed, and it seemed Sakura wouldn't bother addressing matters further either. He much preferred the idea of moving on with the given plan, first by getting what fresh air he could before finding rest. The next day would be a busy one. Ah, but first was the insistence of Sakura that she share her food of choice, as she offered and they were friends. Friends did share, yes; she wasn't wrong about that. "Of course friends share. That doesn't mean they take advantage of each other. Fine. If you insist," he said. Even an offer would be rejected at least initially, provided it seemed like a burden. Since Sakura was so insistent, however, he had little choice but to accept... if that became necessary.

What Charlemagne needed at this point, was a familiar bed. He didn't dawdle very much even while taking a more scenic route back, making his way into the room and casually discarding armor segments, shoes and tunic at the door. This life had become exhausting overnight, and it wasn't slowing the pace at all. The only thing he could feel comfortable doing was falling backwards onto a mattress and letting out all he could in one deep breath. At this point, he just wanted it all to be over. He was still holding the Holy Grail in one hand, staring into the empty chalice with only a desire to move forward two years. This would have been an excellent time to have Clairvoyance, he thought.

Friends shared but didn't take advantage. What counted as taking advantage? Well, Sakura was sure she'd figure it out eventually, if not through action then through lack of it. Perhaps she'd end up asking someone else, she was amassing quite a long list of questions for someone in the future. "Okay," she said seeming to have internalized something but she wasn't sure what. Charles seemed rather tired and would wind up back in his room stripping himself of armor and laying in bed which he basically collapsed into. She watched him do this wondering what he was thinking, still she was content to observe. She looked around the room and wondered if he only sat between the bed and the desk. It looked rather uncomfortable, there was a window and a tapestry with nothing beneath it and she began imagining something in her head. "Char-kun, can I make something in here?" she asked, wanting somewhere to sit which was more to her liking but deciding it would be better to ask to avoid overloading the lad in the way that his previous statement implied that he could be.

As one set of people settled into bed, the elafia Anais seemed to be reaching fever pitch. She'd sat around catching up with her friend for quite a while, and Yume to her credit claimed the girl's bed in a seemingly relaxed manner, but Anais had already begun pacing back and forth over and over again. It seemed that after the sun went down the girl had gained quite a bit of energy and Yume was watching her move back and forth across her room like a ping pong ball. "Mi-chan you still get the zoomies late night?" she asked the other girl as she relaxed. "I don't have the zoomies, I just..." she paused noting her movements and everything else she ran a hand through her hair. "I need to go on a walk, get some fresh air, think... I can't really sleep at night and being inside is making me antsy," she explained. "So yes, still zoomies."

Once Charlemagne finally found his place in bed, his mind nearly blanked. A quick snap to reality occurred only when Sakura spoke, bringing attention to the fact that she hadn't made any immediate movements herself. How strange. Charlemagne had almost gotten adjusted to the girl being all but attached to him, yet there was no such reality now. Oh well. She wished to know if she could make something within his room. "Huh?" he said initially. Of course, he continued in the very next breath. "You can do whatever you want," was the conclusion. After seeing creation firsthand, Charlemagne was admittedly somewhat interested. What exactly did she wish to create in his room? Time would tell momentarily, so he wouldn't be closing his eyes just yet.

Meanwhile, someone like Anais seemed entirely incapable of closing her eyes. The elafia showed a certain hyperactivity common to her people, and apparently normal for her even before transition into this world. Yume wasn't the only one observing this burst of energy; Ailen was present in the room as well. As a brief exchange occurred between the girls, the elf loosed various buckles upon his ensemble. By the time Anais spoke of getting fresh air, Ailen was meandering around the room with only a pair of trousers to cover his flesh. "The elafia are a nocturnal people. If you already had the disposition for a life lived after dark, I imagine your case is even more astounding. Imagine becoming a vampire," he joked, seeming ready to discard his trousers as well. "A solid draught could do the trick, if you would prefer it to activity."

Sakura had done what she thought was the right thing in the situation and asked Charles about making something. Much to her thoughts about the situation he told her she cuold and she then turned and looked around the room. She took in the look and motif of various items and the colors within it. She imagined within her mind a very specific piece of furniture which would match the decor of his room but also give her somewhere very cozy to sit while the lad slept or rested for the night. She was oddly content to observe him and in the moment he was content to observe her. She stood thinking about it for a few moments and then it began, she created from her thoughts, a high backed throne like chair with woods and colors which blended with the room she was currently standing in. It was slightly dark but had a brighter red, upholstery and a great almost handcarved detailing about it. She looked around the space and at the thing after it was made, within a little corner which gave her a clear view of the bed and she sat within it being certain it was quite comfy. "There, I think that both fits and is what I was going for. Should I make any adjustments..." she asked. This was his space... he'd claimed she could do what she wanted, but she wanted him to be happy with the look of his space.

At the same time, Anais came to a halt of only because she was being spoken to, but those movements continued soon after, even as she watched her mentor begin stripping away his clothing. Anais looking at the man was noted by Yume who also looked at the elf and wondered how she'd ended up part of this, but being rather happy with the outcome here. "I don't want to think about being a vampire. I still like the sun a little..." she joked along. "Well, I just did most of my thinking and compo.... work at night before... I was always the last one to sleep," she admitted, pausing her thought in the middle. Meanwhile, Ailen offered a draught, so that the girl could calm down and probably sleep. "This world is doing weird things to me, do all the men here just strip at random. I feel like my expectations are being set rather high," Yume mentioned having met two of these people. She was still unabashedly staring, her friend had chosen quite the attractive man for herself. "It did weird things to me already," Anais claimed as she passed the girl and they high fived immediately, this was winning they were certain. "I should get some sleep, Charlie is such an active person... we're going to have to be up early for whatever he planned and training," she said knowing what she should do. "What were you thinking, Shishou?" she asked of the man. "I wonder if it's the cure for zoomies, also I'm being Mi-chan's little spoon, it is our most coveted position~" she teased gently while getting up and stretching knowing that there was a certain amount of sharing that was about to take place here. She was still watching as her friend couldn't calm down and knowing if left to her own devices she'd be a zombie by morning.

As Charlemagne wondered what Sakura would be making, Sakura herself mulled over the creation. The male didn't have to wait very long to have his answer. Spawning from mana alone was a throne, which Sakura had previously been discussing the idea of within the Nexus. Much to her credit, it was a fascinating piece of furniture that surprisingly looked like it belonged instead of being some random thing thrown into the room. Even so, Sakura asked if she should make any adjustments. What could he even suggest? "Well it's not like I can say it needs improvement. I can't imagine it being any better than it is," he commented. Ah, but there was one other thing to address. "I guess that means you're not sleeping. Do you really plan on sitting in this room all night?"

Ailen disrobed, and Yume strangely commented on how freely he did so. That was strange; he figured Mugen would have her more well-adjusted than that. "I would not want to make you believe men of this world are just prone to taking their clothes off. Sleeping is a time of high mana flow, so being nude while sleeping with another is excellent for the passive exchange and acclimation of mana. As I intend to be in contact with someone, I will not have anything in the way of my output," the elf explained. "It also ensures that no additional steps need be taken if a more thorough transfer is desired. I have much knowledge to give, so I intend to do all things necessary for maximum efficiency. Does this offend you?"

With that said, Ailen's breeches were pulled down as well. Once again, the elf was standing around with his rod hanging loose as if nothing was amiss ─ as Anais was sure to be used to by now. Speaking of Anais, she brought into question his train of thought. A simple potion would possibly do the trick for her sleeplessness, but he knew not how intense her situation was. "Hmm. Perhaps an older, rudimentary sleeping potion? A terraria, three waterblooms and two lifeleaves should do well enough, while also ensuring a restful sleep due to the latter ingredient. For a quick craft, it would produce the closest effect to my chambers at home without wasting too much time or resources. It should produce enough for multiple people as well, if you are both so inclined."

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast