Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Grassy Plains

In a similar fashion to him, Raizo reacted to his move also with a diagonal slash. As the the Vizard Commander tried to keep his aim steady, he understood from the man’s momentary expression that something hadn’t gone exactly the way the Shinigami wanted it to. At the last second, the final remaining piece of his armor that covered his body loosened and shattered, exposing his left arm and directing Shuren’s sword to his collarbone. But despite this, Raizo somehow managed to continue his attack and directed is sword towards the young Vizard’s own collarbone. Shuren didn’t try to stop it unlike this friend’s previous attempts to injure him. Although he reflexively tightened his muscle tissue, from his lack of response one could almost say that he welcomed the blow.

“A fitting end… to a memorable fight.” he commented and retracted his sword carefully. Looking at it briefly, he tossed the Zanpakutou away, as if he was discarding it. Afterwards he grabbed the blade of Raizo’s sword and slowly pushed it away. He stared at his freshly cut hand and smiled. The Gudoudama behind him disappeared and the reiatsu shroud he had been cloaked in for hours faded away, bit by bit as if it was fire that was being put out. First the markings on his skin and clothes disappeared, and then his skin and eyes turned back to their normal color. The skies calmed down completely and the winds ceased to blow. Ripping the upper parts of his regular clothes off, Shuren deactivated his Bankai. Yet his Shikai was still in use: he was using air manipulation to condense air around his and Raizo’s heavy injuries, so neither of them would bleed out. Once he was done he stepped back and walked towards where his sword had stabbed the ground. Picking it up, he sheathed it back into its scabbard and panted. Now that his Bankai wasn’t active, he could really feel the exhaustion of his body.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

Quote Originally Posted by Shuren View Post
    In a similar fashion to him, Raizo reacted to his move also with a diagonal slash. As the the Vizard Commander tried to keep his aim steady, he understood from the man’s momentary expression that something hadn’t gone exactly the way the Shinigami wanted it to. At the last second, the final remaining piece of his armor that covered his body loosened and shattered, exposing his left arm and directing Shuren’s sword to his collarbone. But despite this, Raizo somehow managed to continue his attack and directed is sword towards the young Vizard’s own collarbone. Shuren didn’t try to stop it unlike this friend’s previous attempts to injure him. Although he reflexively tightened his muscle tissue, from his lack of response one could almost say that he welcomed the blow.

“A fitting end… to a memorable fight.” he commented and retracted his sword carefully. Looking at it briefly, he tossed the Zanpakutou away, as if he was discarding it. Afterwards he grabbed the blade of Raizo’s sword and slowly pushed it away. He stared at his freshly cut hand and smiled. The Gudoudama behind him disappeared and the reiatsu shroud he had been cloaked in for hours faded away, bit by bit as if it was fire that was being put out. First the markings on his skin and clothes disappeared, and then his skin and eyes turned back to their normal color. The skies calmed down completely and the winds ceased to blow. Ripping the upper parts of his regular clothes off, Shuren deactivated his Bankai. Yet his Shikai was still in use: he was using air manipulation to condense air around his and Raizo’s heavy injuries, so neither of them would bleed out. Once he was done he stepped back and walked towards where his sword had stabbed the ground. Picking it up, he sheathed it back into its scabbard and panted. Now that his Bankai wasn’t active, he could really feel the exhaustion of his body.

The glowing white of Raizo's eyes fading back to their regular silver color was the only real mark of his Bankai sealing itself. Whether it was his choice or pure exhaustion was a matter that could be debated. But the fact that Raizo had no more armor left meant he also had a dangerously depleted reiatsu reserve. Either way, he was grateful that Shuren had used his wind manipulation to seal the Shinigami's wounds. Raizo could have used Tendo, but at this point his body was low on the stores of organic molecules and energy it would need to regenerate even a moderate wound. His mind drifting from the fight for a moment, Raizo stared at the expande of the Plains.

"How sad it is that we had to spoil such a beautiful spot with our fight, eh?"

Raizo breathed in heavily and sheathed Tenrei. With his Zanpakuto secured, he dropped to the ground, landing on his bottom and laying his head back. Content for a moment, he looked at the sky.

"It was a good duel Shuren. Thank you."

The last two words dropped out a bit more heavily than those which came prior. Raizo knew it was time to discuss a matter of some seriousness.
    Tetsuya Sajin | Raizo Shinoda | Shinoda Akira

Tenth Division Captain | Privaron 306

The Commander nodded at Raizo’s remark on the plains. Their fight had taken a toll on the dimension: some of the groups of trees had been partially destroyed, while the rest had been wiped out completely, and there were no longer many clouds in the sky as most of them had been scattered away due to Shuren’s winds. As the Shinigami thanked him for the fight, the young man’s eyes opened widely for a short moment. His tone indicated his words held a deeper meaning than just being a simple manner of conveying gratitude. He didn’t reply to his friend, who was now lying on the ground and watching the sky. He set his gaze upon the sky as well but unlike Raizo, continued to stand. “I was thinking, Raizo.” he said and paused to allow the winds hit his naked skin. “And I realized. Before we came here, when we were at the Central Plaza, you said you’d never be able to repay my kindness for helping you out.” he continued. He knew his friend and although he was sure he didn’t mean everything he said literally, he could sense that this time something was different.

“You are not really the type to express the certainties in life. Even when you’re speaking figuratively.” he explained, still not looking at him. “Besides, it’s not difficult to feel the crushing weight behind your words.” Shuren knew this very well because he was, in a way, in the very same situation. Ever since he had witnessed his own death, his life had shaped around that one single event. It felt like everything he did, no matter how irrelevant it was, worked towards the same goal: leading him to his end. And that of course would naturally put some pressure on him and his actions. Just like the one on Raizo’s thanks. Before concluding what he had to say, Shuren slowly turned his head and faced his friend. “Whatever this favor of yours is, it’s the end of the line for you, isn’t it?”
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

At Shuren's words, Raizo gingerly pulled his torso up. Wincing at the cracking of the newly formed scabs which covered his fresh wounds, the Shinigami replied to his friend's query with a fairly blank expression. So much emotion could be seen in his eyes, burning silver as they were, that he wouldn't be able to focusing on speaking if his emotion begin to control his face. Of course, Shuren had already noticed. The Visored was well accustomed to Raizo's mannerisms. It was no surprise.

"In a manner of speaking, yes it will be. This is a matter of some secrecy, and I hope you will forgive that I am asking a favor of you despite the fact that I cannot tell you everything in this moment."

Reaching down into his boot, Raizo withdrew a black-lacquered bamboo tube. The cap was sealed with a crimson wax, stamped with the insignia of the Shinoda Clan on one side and the emblem of the Tenth Division on the other. Lifting his arm up, Raizo proffered the slim cylinder to the Commander. The slightest of breezes drifted through the Captain's long hair as he spoke, matching the reserved tone of Raizo's voice.

"There are coordinates and instructions contained within this scroll. And some explanation, though I could not leave the entirety within. It will be too risky if all of this is written - but I promise, one day you will understand."

A shadow of a grimace crossed Raizo's face as he climbed to his feet, rising to his full, slightly larger height. A hint of desperation broke into Raizo's voice.

"Please, old friend?"

Shuren didn’t mind that Raizo hadn’t provided him with all of the information. He could understand that it was of utmost importance that he carried out this favor of his at the right place and at the right time. In such a case, foreknowledge could be dangerous and nobody would understand it better than him. Looking at his friend ask him again, he reassured the lad with a nod. “You needn’t worry, I already gave you my word.” he said as he ran his fingers over the surface of the scroll. He decided not to read the scroll just now, and as he did that the commander realized that he now wondered what was behind all of this. He hadn’t shown the slightest interest in his own death in the future; yet a similar event concerning his friend and former comrade seemed almost intriguing. Shaking these senseless and inconsiderate thoughts off from his mind, he once again focused his eyes on Raizo. “I guess this is the parting of the ways, huh?” he uttered silently. Now that their fight was over and the scroll was handed to him, Raizo could leave. As he didn’t need Shuren’s assistance to get outside this pocket dimension, unlike how they got inside, it would be Shuren’s last time seeing the captain.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

If Raizo and Shuren's bond had been the type where they would openly show their emotions, Raizo might have embraced Eldridge. Instead, the Tenth Division's Captain turned to exit the Pocket Dimension and return to Soul Society. Before doing so, he froze for a moment. Hesitant, he once more faced Shuren, approached the other man. His right hand gripped his left hand, a flash of gold twinkling under it. As the Shinigami drew close to the Commander again, Raizo put out his hand to Shuren, exposing its contents. In Raizo's hand was a gold signet ring, a mon, a heraldic crest, engraved into it.

"This is one more treasure I entrust to you. I have told you little of my House in the Seireitei. However, this is the signet ring of the Shinoda Clan. Whosoever bears it, along with my family name, will be recognized as my successor and the Head of my House."

Raizo flipped his hand over slowly, sighing with an unidentifiable emotion as the beautiful piece of jewelry slid out of his hand. Was it relief in his breath? Sadness? Regret? Perhaps all of them, and something else. Either way, Shuren would only have time to catch the ring as it fell, not ask Raizo what was on his mind. In a moment, the Shinigami had vanished.

Raizo decided to give him one more item of significance; a family heirloom. He explained that whosoever bore the ring would become the head of his house. The commander knew about Raizo’s house of course; back when he was only a Shinigami he had made it one of his priorities to learn everything about his officers. Moments like these were when that principle came in handy. As he caught the ring after Raizo flipped his hand over, he noticed that his friend had vanished. Any signs of his spiritual pressure also ceased to exist, meaning the man had left the dimension. All this while Shuren hadn’t said a word, thinking it would only make things more complicated for the other man. He looked at the ring once more before leaving the grassy plains as well.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12