Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uzushiogakure

Benihime took a moment to wallow in her failures, her mother watched this happened and had no understanding as to why this would be the case, but the woman shrugged this off and crossed her own arms over her chest, waiting for whatever else was to come next. After a few seconds, Benihime seemed to get herself together again looking to her young son, she supposed she'd eventually be dealing with this same kind of feeling twice as much, so she might as well get used to it. "Welp, that is a confusing mess of sensations. Just gonna not think about it too much~" she said as she ruffled the small boy's hair. As she did with feeling background chakra over the last few months. "Okay, anyway, what I actually came here for. I birthed a set of twins and I only have one. Hakudoshi showed you what happened with the other one, why?" she asked of her mother and father. Obviously knowing how this came about would make it easier to fix it. Her mother had an answer, though it wasn't nearly as clear as the younger redhead would like. "Something like that is almost unheard of, it doesn't usually happen... it is technically possible that the little one remained connected after death to her other half. If proper rituals weren't performed after the death. Her body could have chosen to leech off the remaining twin. Leaving her soul to wander closely between. But no one currently alive would even know how to properly explain it. You'd have to seek the council of the Fire Cat. And we presently don't have one on the island." This statement caused the younger of the redhead's to wrinkle her nose a bit. "Umm, two things then, what rituals and Fire Cat?" Clan stuff was too complicated for her liking and having to do more to find out what she needed to know seemed stupid.

What came next in the discussion between present adults was a topic Taro had not been briefed on by the youngest individual of the group. It seemed Benihime's concern was not the death of a child she bore, but the fact that this child remained connected to the one here on this day. Taro chose to forego any further explanation than what was given by Benitsubaki, but there was hardly more substance to the matter than what was mentioned. Instead, he spoke up when Benihime brought into question their rituals, and this "fire cat" reference. "I suppose you wouldn't know, but maybe that ended up being for the better. Our rituals involve the burning of dead bodies to keep one half from becoming a parasite to the other. As for the fire cat... Matatabi, the Nibi, has been sacred in our clan for generations. It is the highest honor for a pair to be chosen as her host, and that host's guardian. Sadly, the council cannot be held. Your youngest siblings are meant to fill the role, but we sadly lost Matatabi several years ago."

Benihime heard out what her mother and father had to say about her apparently undead child, as well as the bit about the seeking the council of the fire cat. This was quite interesting to hear, and apparently it was the case that bodies of twins should be burned to keep them from becoming parasitic. This wasn't something to worry about directly. "Sou ka, but they aren't parasitic. They are symbiotic. Kanna made Hakudoshi stronger, and when we saw Kanna she was the same size as Hakudoshi. So it isn't just one leeching off the other. Hm... now I gotta figure out if I'll be able to pull her body out from where I hid it." the woman said. She was already thinking about how to help the revival of her daughter, and with the idea that her body was still intact, it seemed like the sort of thing that should be simple enough if they could simply get the girl to manifest her soul in her own body. The redhead young woman paced, in a way which made her mother uneasy, she decidedly thought it was a bit like watching a cat as the younger redhead ran a hand through her hair. But as it was further explained what was meant by fire cat, she stopped. "Matatabi is sacred here? That's a bit weird. She attacked when I was fifteen, and a few rash decisions led to me sealing her. And you were gonna give her to Teri and Aki? Well, they'll be waiting a really long time then. Matatabi is the tailed beast I hold. We're friends, does that mean I only have to talk to her? I could have stayed home for that." she mentioned. Such news made her mother's eyes widen. "YOU?! You're holding the Nibi?" there was such shock in her woman's voice that Benihime was forced to turn around and face her. "Yes, I'm the Nibi Jinchuuriki. There are several tailed beasts in the Sunagakure, all of them held by people with direct connections to the office of the Kazekage."

"Where you hid it?" the older male asked of Benihime. "What do you mean? Besides burning it, what made you choose not to bury the body?" Taro seemed to be greatly astounded that nothing conventional was done with Benihime's daughter upon her death, but there was another matter which shocked him more. Benihime claimed herself to be the Jinchuriki of the Two-Tailed Beast, which, given her age, would have disappeared around the same time she reported it as attacking Sunagakure. This would be an interesting tale to tell her younger siblings during their eventual return to the broken village. "Sou desu ka. To think, after all these years, you'd come back and make a statement that nullifies all the growth being pushed on those two. But, you know... the Fire Cat and Fire Rat must also undergo a trial to obtain the secrets of our most ancient prophecies."

Her father, to his credit seemed to think what she'd done with her daughter's body was a bit vague and questioned the young woman's motivations behind not either cremating or burying the child. The answer to this was simple, and still a bit complicated. But, Benihime had no choice but to explain. "It's my husband's clan ritual to seal their dead, probably to keep people from possessing their Doujutsu." she said in a rather off-handed manner. It seemed simple enough to the red haired young woman, her children had come out looking like her husband, and possessing his Kekkei Genkai, his clan customs made more sense to be applied to them.

Moving right along, it seemed her youngest siblings were being groomed to carry the two tails and look after each other. They wouldn't be doing this any time soon, but it would likely be annoying for them to come back and not be able to do the one thing they've been trying. "Ara ara, that's a bit messed up. I haven't seen either of them since they were little. If they are bent out of shape about it, send them to me." she said about her younger siblings. The conversation progressed and her father mentioned a different ritual altogether, which would give her access to clan prophecies. "That sounds amusing and all, but it sounds like unnecessary work." The Kazekage mentioned, which made her mother scoff. "Benihime you're being insolent." Such a statement only made the younger redhead look towards her mother passively as she paused to stretch. She didn't come here to participate in clan rituals or tie herself any further to the dealings of this island or her parents. She simply needed information to help her figure out how to bring her daughter back. Nothing else was very high up on her priorities list. "Hakudoshi, do you think this will be worthwhile?" the young woman asked her son. Obviously she didn't have her own twin, and nor did he presently so any trial they would have to undertake she'd have to do together. It was a good opportunity to see what kind of logic he came up with.

"Well, it seems there is a conflict of interest here. You may want to figure out which is more important, should one of them fall later in life... provided the girl is brought back. I don't mean to sound grim, but do keep all possibilities in mind," spoke the woman's father. On the matter of Benihime's existence as the Jinchuriki of their sacred beast, there was no arguing with her holding the title. In fact, Taro felt a certain amount of pride in the woman, though he was quite attached to tradition. "Daughter, you may be against having to do this, but I cannot make an exception. As the sacred Fire Cat, you will have free reign if you choose to take it, but we will require nothing of you... We will only hold you in high regard among us. For the sake of the clan, though, I implore you to take on the role, at least," he asserted.

Hakudoshi was addressed during this ongoing topic, with his mother asking if he thought this to be a worthwhile endeavor. He understood that he would be paired with the woman who birthed him if he did agree, but he had nary a qualm with this. Such was especially the case when he looked toward Benitsubaki again. "Hai. Agni Kai sounds fun."

Benihime looked at her father. She supposed she could understand a bit of worry, but she'd seen what her son was capable of, and given that, she doubted there would be much if anything to worry about after her daughter was returned. "Hai hai, doing such things is my job anyways." she said on the matter of keeping all possibilities about her children's future in mind. She'd opened her eyes to look towards her father, and he'd mentioned that the Fire Cat was sacred, and thus she should be happy with the title. And that she'd be given free reign with nothing required of her if she did. He implored her to take on the role, and she felt the pride he felt in her. She supposed, she didn't really want to disappoint. And given she was more attached to her father than she would ever be of her mother, she could at least try a little to make him happy. The final nail in the coffin of this activity was that her son seemed to want to participate. His use of the word fun, made the older woman look towards him. He'd obviously taken the word of the ritual from one or both of the minds of the elder adults present. "I am not going to get used to that, am I?" Benitsubaki questioned of the young boy's abilities. "No." Agni Kai however was a phrase that the Kazekage wasn't familiar with at all, but her son's reaction gave her at least a small idea. "You think it's going to be fun, Hakudoshi. That doesn't bode well. It's a fight isn't it?" Something about the way her daughter asked her final question made Benitsubaki a bit wary. Mostly because these things were always done in pairs, her daughter was obviously worried about something.

"It's a fire fight!" Hakuoshi said excitedly, having a brighter glisten in his eye than he had since discovering the majesty of ice-cream. At this point, he was quite hyper, knowing he could use this as an opportunity to develop proper Fire Release techniques, and become a better ninja because of it. But, he knew better, and would have to wait his turn to get a fight. "He's right. Agni Kai is a battle of only fire against two adults in our clan that is held at dawn or dusk, either to settle differences, or assert oneself among the more respected members. For generations, it has also been used as the proving for the Fire Cat, followed by the Fire Rat, the former's other half and keeper. The cat is expected to emerge victorious in terms of power and ability to call upon Matatabi, while the rat must only prove skillful enough to protect the cat... if necessary."

"Sou ka..." she said to her son, who was more excited in this moment than she knew he was capable of being. In fact, for one shimmering moment she could feel it, which was quite strange. "You're quite excited. Little One, more than I can say I've seen. I'm glad you're enjoying your birthday~" she said in a tone which was mild in its observational qualities. Her father then went on to explain the nature of this supposed fire fight. This Agni Kai was just a fire fight between adults of the clan, used as a proving for the Fire Cat and their other half. That was a rather strange idea, but she supposed there were worse things to have to do. Still, something about this seemed a bit open ended and she couldn't say she liked it. "Uh-huh, well, by that logic I am first, yeah? Come on then, Otou-sama~ Show me how's it done." Benihime unlike most, wasn't actually sure what kind of things her parents knew. She figured though, that this would be as good a time as any to find out. "Oh and rules... I need rules." Benihime mentioned, figuring there was some sort of fanfare involved with this battle that she wasn't prepared for. As a Kunoichi for the last decade of her life, she imagined they didn't just want her doing absolutely anything she could. She figured fire release only but any other minute details needed to be mentioned.

"Mm!" was all Hakudoshi said as he raised his right fist again. He was indeed having a rather enjoyable birthday, but there was much more to come in the form of this Agni Kai. Taro, upon hearing about the young male's birthday, looked toward him. "It's your birthday, is it? Happy birthday to you, young man," he said. This prompted Hakudoshi to nod at the man who was apparently easier to get along with than his wife, both for Benihime and the boy. Instead of preparing to face off against Benihime, Taro turned away in preparation to return home. On his way, though, he spoke on these "rules" she asked about. "Only fire, and only at dusk or dawn, during the red sun hour. We must wait. Come... eat, rest. We will meet in our Agni Kai chamber when the time is right."

True enough, just before dusk, Taro stood in an open arena of rectangular design, split down the middle by a line. He occupied one side of the line, discarding his haori as he awaited Benihime's preparations, whether she had any or not. "On this day, we fight not for the restoration of honor, nor the protection of honor. We face each other for the acquisition of the highest honor available! Agni Kai!" If there was one thing to note about the individual known as Taro, it was likely the powerful presence he boasted. In the proper ninja world, he would only be classed a Jounin, or perhaps even a low-tier Kage. However, the way he carried himself in every way from the gristle of his voice, to his upright posture, was a thing which seemed to command respect.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast