Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin'ō Academy

"I have one," Daiki said, seeming to be the only one with a question for the Vice-Captain. "If you've put forth so much effort to specialize in Kidou, why would you not join the Kidoushuu? Surely they approached you," he asked. Raizen crossed his arms during this inquiry, and raised a brow by its end. "Sou ka. Not exactly what I expected, but... I suppose it should have been expected for me to go there. Let's just say... they didn't have anything to teach me," he replied. Interestingly enough, the young man named Daiki knew that the Kidou Corps targeted proficient Kidou practitioners within the academy and trained them to further their abilities. For this man to stand here and claim there was nothing they could teach him was more than a bit fishy so to speak, but he figured he would be getting no more information than that. "Understood," he said, albeit with obvious skepticism. Raizen dismissed the class thereafter, leaving them to their other studies for the day.

'And ambitions on the table...' Benihime thought as the only other person to perform proficiently this day went on to ask the young Vice-Captain why he wasn't part of the Kidou Corps. Such a thing was kind of an invasive question, but she supposed she could understand the curiosity. She at least paid attention to the man's answer and her left brow rose in response. She couldn't tell if he was cocky or if the Kidou Corps simply wasn't worth the proper investment. 'Hm, that might be worth looking into,' she thought as they were finally dismissed from this lesson and moved on to another.

With Raizen parting ways with this group it seemed their actual instructor returned with a smile on her round little face. "Alright everyone. Your second lesson for the day is also a bit of a treat, we'll be going out into the Material World to learn how to perform an essential Shinigami task, Konso." she said, this caused the gathering youngsters to stir a bit as they gathered around and headed at the woman's direction towards the Kidou Corps set up Senkaimon. The First Class seemed to get to try all of the major lessons out ahead of the rest of their peers. "Does anyone know what Konso is?" she asked of the group, giving them the opportunity to learn a bit as they prepared for their first ever outing. 'Well at least this is something I've never done before,' the redhead thought as she walked casually around the middle of the group.

Apparently, the group was to be given Shinigami privileges from the first day, being quickly allowed to put Konsou to the test in the human world. En route to the Senkaimon, the instructor asked if anyone in the group knew what Konsou was. No one seemed to be answering. Since none of the others had spoken up, Daiki sighed, soon producing his own response for the woman as they reached the Senkaimon. "Konsou sends souls to the Soul Society, using Zanpakutou."

Since no one else spoke up the star of this class Nomura Daiki did, much to the teacher's happiness. He was also quite correct in his assertion so while they waited for the Senkaimon to open she explained the process a bit more. "Yes, that is exactly right. Most won't get to see this practice in action for a while, but as you all are the top of this class, it is likely you will be accompanying Divisions on various missions as you are scouted. This basic knowledge is very important." she said which caused a few students to perk up a bit. Benihime seemed to understand, though she wasn't that interested in the idea of going on missions she supposed testing her battle skills against things she should actually be killing was a primary function. "Shinigami serve the purpose of maintaining the balance between the Spiritual World and the Material one. You can think of it as being a guiding light for souls still bound to the human world to keep them from becoming hollows, which you would also have to deal with if the need arose," she explained as the members of the Kidou Corps opened up the Senkaimon. After the light was open she said one more thing. "Come along, and stay alert. And please, for the love of everything don't wander off."

Roughly eight-to-nine months following the entry of the newest wave of students, the academy's first class sat within the Zanjutsu training facility. Among these individuals, of course, was Nomura Daiki. He sat in a meditative pose with his Zanpakutou in his lap. Nothing from the outside world would be capable of fazing him, as he had now entered the realm within himself, where the spirit of his Zanpakutou resided. Within this world, his eyes opened to view a room filled with endless staircases, all with different directions and orientations, along with numerous doors leading to unknown areas. 'Ohayou gozaimasu. It's been some time,' he said to a spirit which took the form of a woman with a very peculiar appearance. Her straight black hair trailed just below her shoulders and featured 2 locks wrapped in gold rings coming from behind her ears to continue in front, stopping at her neck. She was slender in build and had tanned skin. She wore a cream colored sleeveless one-piece dress with the bottom similar to a sarong, a matching waist length veil which widened and spread below her shoulders and gold sandals. Her jewelry consisted of gold bracelets, ankle bracelets, armbands and brooch bearing the Eye of Wdjat on her veil. 'Okaerinasai, Daiki. Do you believe yourself ready to hear my name today?'

Within the Zanjutsu training facility was also a girl her back against the wall. If one looked too closely, you'd think she'd fallen asleep, with her sword leaning up against her shoulders and her left leg held up while her right leg was tucked under. She was meditating in a very odd way, and presently standing within a forest of thick vines with large spikes on them. The world seemed to be plunged into perpetual darkness but within was what appeared to be a slender young woman with pale grey skin. Around her head a patch work of black cloth revealing glowing red eyes. Her right hand was normal but her left was large and clawed with gigantic red talons. She was also winged with chains decorating her body, over her left shoulder a small creature with big red eyes and a stitched together mouth, though she seemed to have a fairly good disposition. 'You're back! Can you hear me now?' the woman asked seemingly excited by the prospect. "Hai hai, seems to always be fine... until you try and say your name~" mentioned the young red head in her red hakama and bandages. She'd seen this figure plenty in her life, usually in her dreams, in fact, she figured she had this form because she'd dreamed it up before. 'Aww, that's no fair. If you still can't hear my name, you won't be able to use me. You like me right? You're not just ignoring me on purpose? Doing that thing where you hear a name and instantly forget it because you don't think it's important...' the spirit asked seeming to think it possible that the young woman could ignore her on purpose.

'Should I not be the one asking you if I'm ready to hear your name?' was Daiki's response to the woman in his inner world. A smile crossed her face then, as if he'd said something correct. Her words, however, were a direct contradiction to this. 'Not at all. I have been telling you my name for a very long time now, Daiki. It is you who chooses to ignore it.' This statement seemed to light a spark within Daiki's mind. At last, he had something to go by. 'In that case... I am ready,' he said.

'Daiki... That is what I needed to hear. If you truly believe yourself ready to wield me, then you must first find me. Until you do, I will not appear before you again, and you will not be able to use my power. You may look upon me once more, only when the proper door is opened.' With that said, the spirit vanished before Daiki's eyes. Resolved, he immediately began following staircase after staircase. Each door he opened had its own dangers present, from pillars of fire, to spike traps. One door in particular opened to let loose a barrage of needles, which Daiki evaded only to have one make contact with his cheek. In this moment, his physical self in the outside world had a cut appear in the very same place. 'Eto. This is already the most challenging thing I've dealt with so far in this school. But... it's the most exciting!'

'Oh?' Benihime looked at the spirit of her Zanpakuto and surprisingly enough the woman gained a bit of a softer smile. She found this spirit's need for assurance to be a adorable. 'Well, I am the first to admit that I tend to immediately forget things that don't matter to me. But... if I'd actually been able to hear your name, I promise... I'd remember it~' she said this seemed to make something change in the spirits face. She floated over to the young woman and looked her directly into crimson eyes and smirked. 'I don't believe you!' these words came out almost instantly much to Benihime's surprise. 'You don't trust me, you don't trust anyone. That's why you can't hear me, when I tell you the most important thing...' said the spirit who seemed to be a tad bit moodier than the last time Benihime had visited. 'Nani? I don't distrust you...' she said to the witch like woman but this only seemed to make the conversation worse. Benihime's character flaw which was most abhorrent to her Zanpakuto was her inability to believe in things she couldn't quantify, she placed her faith in nothing she couldn't see, in nothing that was unproven. 'But you don't trust me... I see... fine!' the spirit then angrily stormed off, slipping deeper and deeper into the forest of thorns and vines, which seemed to close up around her. Before Benihime could try to slip between any of them, the other woman's voice could be heard again. 'If you just try and come in like that it won't work. But if you don't come after me you'll never get to know... it's an interesting decision, but there is a safe way to pursue me... you simply have to take the darkest path.' the spirit said.

With its words two paths opened among the thorns and thickets. One of which seemed to be lit at random intervals by small torches with green fires, one of which had no external light. Benihime looked at the two roads and frowned deeply. 'This screams test... and I don't like it,' said the redhead who immediately went towards the green fire. She was all about learning through example and figured that if the lit path was dangerous, she'd figure out why first hand. Upon walking into this path, the green fires cast spooky looking shadows and as the redhead moved to avoid them, she found herself falling into large thorns. The first of which pierced her left side, leaving a circular puncture mark on her person where it meditated in the Zanjutsu training facility.

Several minutes passed, and Daiki continued to open door after door within his inner world. None of these doors revealed the spirit, but a rare few of them, surprisingly, had nothing that put him in danger. These finds were somewhat refreshing. On the other hand, he was growing tired of this seemingly endless search through an ever-changing labyrinth. 'This is tedious. I'd rather have entered a fight,' he thought. Eventually, Daiki came across what he was certain was the final unchecked door. Upon opening it, his body felt as if it was no longer held to the ground by gravity, and he was repelled all the way to his starting point. He fell on his rear, knowing from the brief time he was before the door, that his Zanpakutou spirit was not there either. 'Kuso. What kind of test is this? I've checked all the doors, and she isn't behind any of them!'

Several minutes later and Benihime had finally managed to crawl out of the initial path she'd tried travelling down. It seemed that it really wasn't going to work out, she had several deep scratches and puncture wounds around her body. Even so, she seemed to dust herself off and stand outside the two paths staring down the darkest one still seemingly skeptical. 'Awfully nice of you, leaving the other one open. Ah... ya' know... I expected a fight or something... or maybe for you to just give in,' she thought of the Zanpakuto spirit. 'But I suppose that was wrong, if you're anything like me, you likely intend to get your way...' she said moving to stand before the darkness of the secondary path. 'Ugh, you know... you're asking for a lot. Faith without knowing what to expect...' she said standing in front of this darkness she took a step forward. Benihime wasn't the sort of person who just took people at their word, she had to prove it, she had to know... this was the case in all aspects of her life. What her zanpakuto as asking of her, was something completely different. 'Yes, I know I am asking a lot,' said the zanpakuto spirit. 'But you're also technically asking a lot of me,' she said there was lightness in this tone. 'Alright, stepping in...' she said and she took several steps into the darkness feeling a warm tingling feeling as she did, but nothing hurting her, like the well lit path before. Instead she took many steps in thickets so deep there was no light and she couldn't see a single step in front of her own face. 'So, how am I supposed to find you... if I can't see you?'

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast