Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: [12th Division] Shinigami Research and Development Institute

Upon entering Laboratory 3, one would find its female crimson haired owner. The young woman was exceedingly excited as she processed several screens of data and paused her celebrations only briefly as she looked towards the door after it opened to find her Vice-Captain standing. He spoke of an apparent noise complaint but the young woman only rolled her eyes and placed her hands on her hips. Her hair was wild not up in its usual ponytail but as she sat down her samples she removed a ribbon from the pocket of her lab coat and began putting her hair up. "Gomenasai, Tatsu-fukutaichou, I'm really excited though. Not like they'll be able to complain about the noise in a few moments anyways. I had a breakthrough~" the girl chimed seemingly excited about her work. Her ponytail now in place she picked up the sample from her desk and showed it to the Vice-Captain of her Division almost unable to contain herself. "I just got back from the Material World. I killed a Salamander Hollow there, added it to my collection," she mentioned, speaking of the database she was currently compiling on the vastly evolving Hollow population. It was up on the first screen she was looking at. "I think you'll appreciate this. This one in had a very abnormal progression to a skill Hollows have. I spent a lot of time studying it and its Reiryoku and I think it can be properly applied to Shinigami~" she finished, wondering if the information would bait her Vice-Captain into looking over her newest discovery. She knew the lad to be very clever and the sort of thing she was looking into was right up his alley. And perhaps, she could use her present finding to get his help.

Tatsuya wondered what could have caused these noise complaints, and within moments of entering the lab, he received his answer. Given Benihime's position within the SRDI, and her general MO, he assumed it to be something Hollow-related. What he didn't expect, though, was it being something along the lines of Hollow abilities being applicable to Shinigami. "Didn't you just help Ayatsuki-taichou free someone from jail, for having Hollow powers?" he asked with a sigh. Over his time in the 12th, Tatsuya had gotten very used to the random idiocies of its members within the labs. Prior to Benihime's upcoming, he recalled the individual being in charge of this laboratory, and he did not have fond memories of that person's attempted experiments and research.

Nevertheless, Tatsuya was inclined to go about his duties as Vice-Captain here, which meant he had to at least see what this one was up to before coming to any conclusions or decisions one way or another. When he looked over the research materials and discoveries, his eyes narrowed. This may have been something easy to misinterpret as disapproval, but his following words would be quite to the contrary. "Hoh? Shinigami High-Speed Regeneration? That's a big leap. Almost illegal, but... only almost illegal is just the kind of stuff we like here. Have you hypothesized potential applications yet?"

Benihime expected the first of the lad's replies and met it with a smile. "I did, but that wasn't really his fault. And the Hollows are still an evolving and growing menace, the Central 46 will likely regret that particular law someday," she said about the laws surrounding Hollows and their powers being applied to Shinigami. But in fairness to herself she was proposing nothing of the sort, instead she was simply trying to level the playing field so to speak, and keep more Shinigami on active duty. And perhaps even, return a few really good ones to the status they deserved.

Regardless of his initial thoughts, it seemed the Vice-Captain of the Division intended to at least look over the information the girl provided. And initially she couldn't interpret the look on his face. The narrowing of his eyes made her do a quick double take, making her assume this research would to be added to her list of secrets. 'Damn... I thought I had...' she paused the thought though because the words coming out of the Vice-Captain's mouth rang of approval. A grin spread across the young woman's face, as she was asked about potential applications of this particular thing she was thinking of. "A few, the first and most obvious of which is the quick healing of superficial wounds, regrowth of limbs and other body parts which are lost to Shinigami in battle or doing field work." she said as she pulled up a few possible listings for another screen. "But given what I had to work with as far as my observations were concerned there would be a few limitations on the creation of this thing given what it would actually do," she said as she pulled up another screen which contained her blue prints for the serum she had in mind. "It'd work something like a shot, meant to kindle a super fire of the cells within a Shinigami based on where its placed. It'd use their Reiryoku as a catalyst burning through a bit of it, in order to stabilize the tissues and reform whatever was lost," she explained. The medical and field usage of such a thing was sort of staggering but only in very specific situations. "Of course, given that bit, the base amount of Reiryoku required for the shot to even work would be higher than average," she stated. The other potential downsides of this treatment were also obvious, if a person didn't have enough Reiryoku it simply wouldn't work, or they'd burn up everything they had trying to make it work if one tried to fix too many things at once. "I'm sure you can see the other potential drawbacks here..."

"Hmm." Whilst being told the drawbacks and limitations of this regeneration serum Benihime intended to develop, Tatsuya continued to make his own mind work. There were no foreseeable ways to avoid the issues, it seemed, but these restrictions were not too great of an issue in the boy's mind. "A weaker soul could burn into its own life if this sort of thing were used on them," he said with utmost nonchalance. Still, the existence of this could be seen as something of a boon. "But... many high-ranking officers have been weakened, or even discharged due to irreparable wounds. There is an issue, though," he continued. Tatsuya took over screen access for the first monitor, showcasing various incidents in which Hollows were rendered incapable of regenerating. It seemed Benihime had already done a fair bit of research on this topic as well. "Oh. I guess you've already discovered that. Being able to prevent strong soldiers from maiming is one thing, but the Central 46 would be more easily swayed toward funding this for Seireitei-wide use... if you were actually able to use it after the wound has already healed itself. Even High-Speed Regeneration couldn't repair Baiken's arm."

Benihime seemed to be having good enough amount of conversation with Tatsuya to know given his own expertise that her idea was at least on the right track. "Yeah, it would definitely kill someone really weak. There isn't any denying that, but if they were that weak to start with..." she gave a slight pause as she began pacing the room, her mind having already reached the next portion of the conversation. "They were probably going to die anyway," Benihime added to the commentary with a bit of callousness likely unseen from her by many. The next part of the conversation was indeed what she'd been waiting for, while this particular invention would be a boon to those capable of using it now, it would do nothing as it stood for those already fallen, as it stood only fresh wounds could be healed and only those with enough Reiryoku to facilitate the healing could do so. "Yes, I know... High-Speed Regeneration won't fix wounds which are already healed. Nor ones which are carterized. I tried that one out myself just to be sure I wasn't wrong about that..." she said a slightly devious look in her eyes. "I've thought this through, and there is a way to technically make it work but... we'd have to find someone willing to let us try it," she said, and finding a willing participant would be likely something considered difficult. "By my own approximations and calculations, it should be perfectly possible for someone to heal a major injury, like an already healed arm or leg. If we were to... say cut off the rest of her arm above where the original one healed," she stated plainly leaving that very likely disgusting sentence to hang in the air. Basically surmising that if they were to inflict new wounds they'd heal fully back to their original forms not back to the wounded form, but that would be borderline cruel and unusual to do to someone who's already experienced the loss of a limb.

"Agreed. They'd probably be better off dying anyway," Tatsuya chimed. When Benihime mentioned trying this serum on herself and discovering that scars could not be healed, his attention was drawn to the scar this lass had somewhat recently received over her eye. Of course, she also had an idea for how this could be bypassed, and it was frankly not the friendliest of things to suggest to anyone. "Baiken won't do it. There's no way you could convince her. For you to bring that up, I'm sure you have someone else in mind. Not me. It probably wouldn't work the same on me."

She nodded, it seemed that smart people seemed to share a sort of callousness which could be counted as friendship among them. As they progressed in this conversation by virtue of what the girl had to say about trying out the serum on herself as a start, she knew he would understand immediately the problem. "Baiken-san, is truly a member of the 11th Division. I tossed around the idea of being able to restore her arm in theory a week ago. She won't accept it even if I can do it. Something about battle scars and character. She won't take her arm back even if I could give it to her without hardship," she said knowing this to be true only to further add emphasis. Of course, given the boy's cleverness he'd already figured out that she had someone in mind for this particular experiment. "I also figured it wouldn't work the same on you, though given you can fix yourself up a bit anyways, you'd be the best option otherwise since you'd be less likely to suffer if it didn't work." she said, she had almost complete and utter faith in herself. Even so, asking someone to trust her theory enough to undertake an additional injury after already being used to not having a limb went on to a level bordering masochistic.

"There is a woman in the 3rd District of the Rukongai. She runs a dojo, in which she usually houses 3 students whom she teaches random things. She was formerly the Vice-Captain of the 10th Division and became incapable of completing her duties when she lost her left leg about 60 years ago," she said calmly. "By all accounts she fits all criteria for the best possible candidate to be the first to receive this treatment," she said looking at him. "And I can probably get her to agree to it, even with the extra injury," she said looking at the young man. "If I was to do it though, I'd need another set of hands. And someone... with enough authority to clear it for the testing and whose word will carry. I mean, I invented the Capsules and that's cool, but they aren't going to trust I haven't gone completely 'Mad Scientist'... a witness is necessary to say whether it worked or not," she looked to Tatsuya her invitation open and obvious.

"Kisaragi-fukutaichou?" he said with an upward inflection, as if to imply a question, though he only meant to confirm. "She was a legendary Vice-Captain. If your experiment works on her, the Central 46 would be much more likely to approve of this research." As the young male spoke, he scanned the material Benihime had to offer once more. This was certainly a healthy amount of research done for this project, and he could surely support it. "You can test it. If you can't manage a willing subject, I may be able to scrounge up someone we can 'turn into' a willing one. Let's find this subject of yours," he said, having full intention to travel to Rukongai immediately.

A smile crossed the young woman's face, as it seemed her own Vice-Captain was familiar with the woman she wanted to use as the subject. Beyond her status as a Legendary Vice-Captain, the young redhead had a personal reason for wanting to use this woman as part of her experiment. "To be honest they should approve of it regardless of who I use as a test subject, but this one... is a good one to start with," she said seemingly amused. Beyond this it seemed that Tatsuya approved of this particular research topic and gave the lass permission to continue her research to the proper testing phase. A grin crossed her face, "Arigatou gozaimasu, Tatsu-fukutaichou~" she chimed as she picked up a couple of her capsules one of which contained the test serum which she assumed would be used immediately and her Zanpakuto which she affixed to her person, doing so with the hilt lined up to the left side of her body. She had a few ideas of how this situation worked out and given this she knew she'd need her weapon. With this she began heading for the Rukongai, knowing that Tatsuya would follow as he'd already agreed to it.

Hyousuke arrived at the gates of the 12th. He was dressed in the usual Shihakusho that were worn, with his purple handled Zanpakutō tucked into his sash with the pure black sheath protruding from the other end along his black pants. The young man had crimson glowing eyes with red ink tattoos similar to scales of a reptile under each of his eyes. The right side of his face was mostly covered with his jet black bangs, making it so only parts of his right eye and the tattoo underneath barely visible. He raised his hand to knock before stopping within only a centimeter of the door. Hesitation was written on his face and in his heart as he began to second guess his choice. "What's the hold up, knock already." Sanyōsuru spoke to his master with irritation. "Oi, don't rush me...but I have to ask are you sure you're okay with this?" He spoke with concern.

Since being able to hear Sanyōsuru voice, Hyousuke has seen him more as a friend than a weapon. "Tsk. Come on you know as well as I do this is the only way. Not only are you in the 11th but there is also the new Captain to take into account." Sanyōsuru paused before speaking once more, "It's either this or leave the 11th, and you know which choice you want. I'll always stand by you, so stop over thinking." With those words, Hyousuke calmed down. The young Shinigami could tell that Sanyōsuru would likely have that stupidly infectious smile on his face. He gave a small grin before taking a deep breath and exhaling. "Knock on wood right?" they both laughed as this terrible pun before he knocked on the wooden gates once he regained his composure.

With his now straight face Hyousuke, would knock three times on these giant wooden doors belonging to the 12th Division, and would await for someone to answer.
    Last edited by Kiyomi; 09-03-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast