Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kumori Manor

"I haven't worked out a deal with the Onmitsukidou yet. I intend to have Han-taichou send me the best of the best, just as she was once assigned to this house." Once the pair entered the library, Raizen took one of the larger tomes from the aforementioned table, and took it to a couch to sit upon as he opened it. Once again, he sat with his right leg crossed over his left, with the book opened in his left hand. Now that he knew what Benihime wished to learn, he could begin properly. "The spider marks, I imagine are connected to a very powerful Hollow that resides solely in Hueco Mundo. It absorbed Soutaichou's Shikai while we were there, so I imagine it does that with many. It may be marking other Hollows in its 'family' to absorb them for their power later. But, that doesn't matter." As he looked into the book in his left hand, Raizen felt that he would likely be best off admitting to the method that would prevent Benihime's fate. "This manor was not scanned when the Kumori family was executed. Because my mother, and eventually myself, were left alone, there were many pieces of their old work left around in secret places. The method they eventually used to almost perfect Hollowfication, is what I think could be used in your situation. It's no secret now that I was born some sort of Shinigami-Hollow hybrid, but I've found out how that happened. My Hollowfication has a direct connection to myself, and to my Zanpakutou. Basically, if you were to Hollowfy, it would be like a game of tug-of-war between you and the Apocrypha, with your Zanpakutou as the rope."

"Sou ka," the girl said of the man's apparent plan to get himself some people from the Onmitsukidou as well. He also went on to explain his thoughts about the spider marks and their connection to the random influx of Hollows. "That's... gonna suck later, especially with them holding grudges... Even though I am definitely of the opinion that they started it," she said knowing they were at the very least looking for her still and likely anyone else who'd managed to kill any number of them. Though admittedly she'd done it on purpose to get their attention that didn't mean that she hadn't thought about the consequences.

As they moved along Raizen picked a tome apparently related to whatever idea he had about her present situation and went on to explain that near perfect Hollowfication apparently discovered by his clan. This made her brow raise just a little, but it was at least a tiny bit interesting. She took to the couch as well sitting beside the man and peering over his shoulder at the readings ever so often so she'd keep up with the ideas involved. He went on to say that it was apparently his plan to use this sort of method on her as well, to create a lasting bond between herself and her Zanpakuto that couldn't be interrupted by whatever deal was struck between her previous incarnation and Apocrypha. "Sou ka, I understand now why this could end up getting me executed... You were only really pardoned because you were born that way though. If you go around handing such powers out, you're just as likely end up on the chopping block again as I am..." she said as her head fell back. Still the idea was a novel one, and though risky it seemed to be a better option than permanently crippling her own abilities to avoid death. "Hm, I am assuming this almost perfect method has something to do with those Bakkoutou? Seems like by all information given your family really likes making weapons~" she said, having said information because she'd been the one helping out the Captain of the 12th Division when working on his previous case.

Raizen's gaze briefly left his book when Benihime took a seat next to him on the couch. In this moment, he looked toward the redhead, but he returned his attention to the book soon after. "It does involve them, but there were other experiments done to give Hollow powers to Shinigami. There's an infection of some sort that was attempted, but it seems to have failed on its attempts. Every subject suffered Soul Suicide, and none of the Kumori dared try it on themselves. I have no interest in replicating this infection method, but I believe I could easily use Mugen's power to inject Hollow abilities directly into another soul, and maybe even stabilize them the way I've done for myself. Still... there has to be some other way. I'd like to go for destroying the Apocrypha, but the most likely scenario in the event of that actually working would be a total loss of power. Back to square one, then."

Benihime allowed herself to gaze at the ceiling for a few seconds while Raizen explained in greater detail the different methods created by his Clan for Hollowfying Shinigami. It seemed that most methods didn't work and resulted in Soul Suicide and none of the clan members actually wanted to try it on themselves. This got Benihime to thinking about her own research into the nature of souls. "Should have tried it on themselves, might have worked out better..." she muttered as she related this idea to another in her head. "It could simply be a matter of the souls not really being strong enough in the first place. When I was developing the serum to allow for high speed regeneration in Shinigami there were several different things to overcome. Since it was based on Hollow abilities I did a lot of research into how they functioned and I learned that most things concerning them and their abilities begin and end with the base amount of Reiryoku they possess. When mimicking their abilities or trying to give them to others. It likely worked out that the Souls they used in the experiment, couldn't take the influx of power and burned up without it ever having been possible for them to use the power in the first place. At least that is how it works in the case of regeneration." she said seeming to find it amusing. It also seemed that Raizen would have liked the idea of simply destroying Apocrypha but that would in the best case also rid the young woman of her powers. "Hai, I considered that a possibility as well, or maybe figuring out how to separate Yakouboku from Apocrypha will work instead, though I have no idea how one would even go about such a thing, though admittedly that's only been an idea for a few minutes." she said going ahead and voicing the last possibility she hadn't given.

"That seems to be precisely the case. All of the subjects were random extras on missions; Shinigami most likely to die when no one is paying attention anyway. For all their precautions to avoid being discovered, they failed in the end. What a waste." Raizen had begun flipping pages, scanning this book at an increased pace. Something was beginning to bother him at a deeper level, and he couldn't quite place what it was yet. This feeling was an annoying one. Either way, Benihime had another option to offer; one which would be better overall than the others discussed, if it were possible. "That sort of thing would be optimal. I'm afraid, though, it's wishful thinking. Kyougoku are too reliant on the memories within them, and as long as they have those memories of an existing thing, they have a connection. Even I can't erase the memories of a dimension."

It seemed that what Benihime had discovered about Hollows seemed to have applied also to whatever research had taken place by the Kumori long before. Raizen also somehow seemed bothered as he continued turning the pages of the book at an increasing rapid pace. The girl's eye flickered to the corner to see this and her left brow rose beneath her bangs. "Did that book upset you, or is it that compelling a read?" she mused almost as if she didn't expect an answer. Moving right along, the idea of separating Yakouboku from the darkness which was Apocrypha was only wishful thinking as it appeared as long as there was something living with memories connected to it, it couldn't properly be destroyed. "Really? I'm like the only one alive with any memories connected to it. A singular point of connection, even if you couldn't erase the entire dimension's memories. Seems like you would be able to erase mine... causing a clean break between us and Apocrypha," she said thinking about it. "Which seems like the most painless thing... ya' know aside from the likelihood of me losing everything I currently am in such an exchange~"

"No, it's nothing like that. I actually have no idea why, but I am very bothered by something. It's a feeling I've had around you before," he admitted. Whatever the case, Benihime wondered about the erasure of her own memories in place of the Apocrypha's. "From how the tale is written, that wouldn't apply either. That sort of thing would require erasing your Zanpakutou's memory of its own power, but if it learned those powers again, Apocrypha would continue to demand those memories. It's looking more and more like Hollowfication is the only method, but I'd rather not subject you to that."

Benihime was soon rather shocked as Raizen actually provided her an answer to the question she'd asked only in jest. The girl's eyes widened and she leaned away from the man, and then rather suddenly she began laughing, it was simply too funny and out of nowhere for her to avoid it. After a few seconds she seemed to get herself together while scooting a bit further away from the Captain on this couch. "Alright, I... didn't expect you to actually answer me. That was just out of nowhere... gomen," she said as she rubbed a hand over her face to help rid her of the sudden surprised laughter. "I'm pretty sure I know what you mean though. It's part of the reason I was okay with avoiding you," she said assuming that because of their similarities they'd likely experienced similar feelings around each other. Moving right along, it seemed that the more they discussed the more it was seeming like this Hollowfication was the only real option which would make sense of the impending doom the young woman faced. And even beyond this it seemed like an option Raizen didn't really want to take. "Alright, well it's looking like the best option besides the obvious super caution to give more time to think of something better. You know, the not using my Zanpakuto, not leaving the Seireitei so as not to put my life in unnecessary danger... that sort of thing. Though it sounds like that would become exceedingly tedious... it would give a bit of time," she said before adding one more thing. "Though now I am curious about it, because you don't want to do it. So, elaborate if you will~"

Raizen raised a brow when he realized the woman had distanced herself physically. If he had anything to say about this, it remained unspoken, as there were more pressing matters at hand. Most specifically, there was the matter of fixing Benihime's future problem by one of few means. She questioned why he preferred not to use this method of Hollowfication on her. To Raizen, the reason was apparent. Benihime, however, didn't seem to see things from the perspective he expected her to. "The way you hunt Hollows makes it obvious. That scar you hide is from a Hollow. It's the reason you have that emptiness. I wouldn't subject you to becoming the thing that I assume slayed the rest of your family."

Benihime soon was confronted with something very different from what she expected as his reasoning. Among all the things she'd expected anyone to realize she hadn't expected that her behavior was easy enough to follow that he'd know that she was hunting Hollows and beyond that why she was doing it. Her eyes widened in that instant as she couldn't keep the shock from her own face, she then went on to let them close as she shook her head a bit. "I didn't expect that to be the answer..." she said having not bothered to think of it in such a way herself. "I didn't even consider that could be the answer... Nothing against you, but I tried very hard to make sure no one would put that much together," she said thinking about it more, it hadn't been that long since the death of her parents and siblings. Even so, he knew so much for someone she'd barely spoken to in her life. She'd gone out of her way to not explain what had been happening in her life to anyone, so that she could finish in the Academy and enact her vegeance that she didn't realize anyone could have figured it out on their own. "Arigatou gozaimasu, but to be fair, I definitely killed that Hollow that day, and dozens of others in the days that followed, even before I left the Academy. Vengeance didn't fill that void, I doubt anything else negative I could fill it with would help either... I don't hate Hollows or anything, and I'd rather have the time to figure out how to fix it than die holding on to an anger I can't quell," she mentioned knowing she was well past the point of enjoying killing Hollows anymore. She really needed to find something else to do with her time, and in order to do that she needed time, she wanted it even.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast