Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Sibiu

"Faith," this word was all Costel had to say. He had faith in God, and faith in himself, but he didn't understand how such a thing could be a weapon. As he thought this, Kasmina turned her eyes away and shook her head in utter disappointment. It was obvious to her now why her father was incapable of winning bets. His faith was misplaced and misunderstood. How could he possibly win? Regardless of this point, it seemed that Costel didn't know what to say to his daughter about her apparent ability to win, which she expected as well. But as the conversation progressed he was asked something which made his eyes widen.

What would his late wife have to say about his present behavior. "Kasandra," he said the name of his late wife, as if he missed her. He tried to imagine it, he saw her in his mind. "She'd tell me I was stupid, and that I should enjoy the present instead of trying for things that will not matter," he said hanging his head in shame. "She'd also have smacked him with a ruler," Kasmina added with her hands in her lap and a smile on her face. She had very fond memories of her mother and that was among them. "She was a governess before she married and didn't take petulance from him nor anyone else," she finished. The grin on her face would be one of mild humor, it seemed that she did indeed miss her mother, and her stabilizing influence on her father. Though now that she thought about she began to wonder how her father managed to swing such a marriage in the first place. None of that seemed to matter though, as it was very easy to see that the young Count and Countess seemed to be chastising him. This was only made worse by the fact that he'd spent days upon days drinking and behaving like an animal.

"Kasandra? What a lovely name," Sorin commented. It seemed the Baron had fond memories of his former wife, and this recollection brought him to the train of thought she would have shared with him if she lived. Sorin sat with the fingers of his hands laced together, both hands upon the knee of his right leg, which was crossed over his left. He seemed comfortable, but something was amiss. For all the things the Baron had done, Sorin actually felt sorry for this individual. Perhaps, in the end, he was too righteous after all, as his maid had told him on numerous occasions.

A sigh followed the revelation of the Baron. Sorin had made a decision. Though he already regretted the idea, it was an opportunity he would accept in the shoes of a mortal man, so he thought it to be something worth offering. "Baron... I said that I would grant you nothing for your daughter's hand, but there is one thing I may grant you. Would you like to see her once more? Kasandra."

Kasmina also felt sorry for her father. Though more than a little disappointed in him as a person, she knew that when her mother was living he was a much better man than he'd been showing himself to be over the last almost decade of her life. She looked to her husband and watched his posture. She could see how he felt about this situation but when he went on to ask her father if he'd like to see his dead wife again Kasmina's eyes widened. If he offered such a thing, she knew he could provide it, but given the Baron's less than stellar behavior in the Count's presence, she was surprised just the same that he'd even bothered to offer. Then again... 'He is the kindest man I've ever met. I knew already it was not limited just to me,' a small smile crept onto her visage as she appreciated the man at her side, more so than her father could even realize.

While this happened the Baron Dacian's eyes widened. He couldn't believe such a thing was even an offer, something he could actually have. He was elated by the idea, entranced even. But for this man to offer such a way, considering how slighted he had to have felt in the moments leading up to this... "You would do something like that for me? Truly?" he asked as if amazed by the prospect. "I'd love to see my wife again."

The Baron questioned Sorin's willingness to bring forth the late Kasandra. Of course, Sorin was more than willing to do something like this. It was obvious to him that Costel had not taken the woman's death in a way that allowed him to move on unhindered. Though it was perfectly normal to be affected by the death of a loved one, Costel's descent was very out of the ordinary, and a detriment to the rest of his family. "If it is your wish, then yes. It is clear to me that her death weighs heavy on your heart, even today. I must only warn you that the late Baroness will only have a short amount of time. I would be remiss to keep her from everlasting paradise with the Lord for more than a few minutes."

With his warning given, Sorin stood and stepped into the center of the room. His head bowed, and his hands clasped together to pray as he accessed a strange form of necromancy which somehow glowed with a holy light. "Heavenly Father, forgive my trespasses unto your domain. I ask that you temporarily part with the soul of Kasandra Dacian, and that you allow her reentry. O Lord, deliver this untainted soul from evil as she makes her journey to the mortal plane. Amen." For the duration of his prayer, the golden holy light spewing from his body began to take form in front of him. If his powers reached the former Baroness, it would go on to materialize her in physical form, albeit with all the ethereal glow of a soul straight from beyond the pearly gates.

Kasmina and Costel both watched in awe as Sorin began to pray. He used a strange form of necromancy which caused this room to fill with light and after a few moments produced a from of her mother shrouded in light in the middle of the room. Costel couldn't deny the death of his wife almost broken him in a way that was irreparable. Kasmina had also watched this take place, within a moment, the baron himself was knelt at the feet of the glorious image of his wife. Dark hair and eyes that sparkled like cut emeralds. Her form solid enough for her husband to make contact and hug the dress she wore and she in turn rested a hand atop his head.

"My wife, I've been so lost without you... you don't understand," he said tears in his eyes as she gazed upon his visage and she understood. Her death had caused him a great deal of suffering. Kasmina felt conflicted watching this exchange take place. She was almost willing to avert her gaze. Until of course she saw her mother's hand raise from the top of her father's head where she moved to slap him across the face. "I know you missed me, but that is no excuse for your behavior. What kind of example are you setting? Luckily Kasmina isn't the type to take such direct influence to heart," she chastised him. Her father managed to look beyond stunned, he didn't imagine how his actions affected his daughter. But of course, this was always how his wife was, full of compassion while also being iron clad in her will, pointing out his inconsistencies and making him feel he could overcome them. 'I feel like I shouldn't be watching this... but... I can't look away.' she thought as she watched on. Her father was absorbed in this moment. Even so, after slapping him, Kasandra's hand came to rest on his face. "You were once a good man, don't taint that with your sadness." she mentioned to the man. In this moment it became more than apparent to Kasmina that her mother had chosen her father, and that at some point he'd had more redeeming qualities. It seemed in these moments of closeness were working on her father just the same. "I just... didn't know what to do without you," he mentioned. "Stupid man, you live your life. And leave our daughter to live hers. It's hardly worth the extra thought." she said in a statement which was oddly similar to something Kasmina could be noted as saying, particularly in reference to her seemingly futile actions.

When the spirit formed in the material realm, Sorin saw exactly where his wife had taken most of her genes from. However, there was something... more to this woman. It was as if... 'No,' he thought. His eyes widened, and he could not draw them away from the Baroness. 'That woman. Thirty years ago...' His mouth was briefly agape when he realized this woman was familiar to him. It was short-lived, however, as he was soon brought to reality by the sight of her slapping her widower with what physical presence she had. It was so sudden, Sorin nearly felt it himself. "Ouch," he whispered. A very heartfelt moment was at hand, even with this physical abuse - if it could truly be called so. It seemed Kasmina's eyes were glued on the scene just as his had been, albeit for separate reasons. "Go to her," he spoke softly. Something about the overall scene unfolding seemed to sadden the Count. "She's dying again. This is the only chance."

The whisper of ouch and the recognition in her husband's face made Kasmina curious and caused her gaze to shift away from the scene before her if only for a moment. By the time she did this her husband was already speaking to her more directly. Telling her to go to her mother, of course Kasmina made peace with the death of her mother when she was much younger than now. She'd had a decade to reconcile her feelings and did not immediately feel the need to interrupt such a tender moment between her mother and father. Given this and her abject trust for the man at her side Kasmina found herself standing near her mothers left as her father wept near the woman's feet.

"Not to worry Mother. I will live my life with my husband, it has hardly been a bother," she said of the plans of her life and her father's misbehavior, which made the woman look into her daughter's face. A smile broke out as she saw the girl before her and she too got a hand placed upon her shoulder. "Look at Kasmina all grown up. I am happy to see you well and happily married even," she said while looking in the girl's mouth. "Oh, and a vampire too," she said to the girl which made her face light up. Her mother was always the sort to encourage her daughter's wishes, even ones which didn't seem to align with the typical role of a young woman in their time. "You do not seem surprised by this..." she said to her mother who could only smile as her hand moved to up rest on the girl's face which looked much like her own. "Why would I be? Such is the nature of one growing up in the shadow of 'Dracula's Castle'. But not all things that start in darkness must end so..." said her mother as she turned to see the man standing in the middle of the room, who'd orchestrated this family gathering. "Oh... it's you! You... married my daughter?" Kasandra questioned this and Kasmina was left to be astounded by the idea but, she also knew Sorin to be much older than he appeared. It was perfectly reasonable in the town this size that two people on the upper sides of society knew each other. Before she married, Kasandra's name had been Kasandra Dacian and she was born Baroness of this land. They'd met by happenstance but she'd helped this young man at least a little at some point in their previous meeting.

Sorin never believed Kasmina was in need of a chat with her mother, but such precious moments as these were fleeting. He would have jumped at the opportunity, had it been his own mother in this situation. It would be a shame if Kasmina did not take the one opportunity she had left to share any parting words with the woman who birthed her. Sorin did not feel this same sense of attachment to the Baroness, but something was there. This woman had actually been very important to him as well. This would soon come to light, as she addressed him directly soon after a few words shared with her daughter. A fanged smile was offered by the male vampire as he bowed in what had to be the most respectfully submissive way he ever had. "Yes, I did; I hope you approve. Your daughter is every bit the woman you were, my Lady Dacian. It shames me that I did not realize sooner whose daughter she had to be. I owe you thanks once again, it seems."

Kasandra Dacian was soon on the receiving end of the most graceful and submissive bow she'd seen in all her years. Even so, a smile spread wide across her face, the idea of her daughter and this man together made her quite happy. And she was of course, pleased to see him, under such different circumstances than their first meeting. "Of course I approve, good men are hard to come by. It's not as if you are still wasting away in the streets, thinking too much and acting too little. You both look very happy and I can hardly take any credit for this. Both of you should accept it for managing to find your own happiness," said the woman who remembered this lad at one point starving himself near to death because he'd let himself get carried away thinking about the differences between his faith and his being. Kasmina watched this interaction between Sorin and her mother, and was astounded beyond words. Her mother not only knew the man she married, but approved of him as well, nothing could have made her heart happier in this moment. Still her mother's eyes shifted to her daughter as she pressed lips against the girl's forehead. "You've done well, Mina. Finding yourself a husband and such a good man at that. Keep an eye on him, make sure he doesn't wait decades between meals," were her last words of motherly advice. "Of course, Mother," said Kasmina as she wore a smile she simply couldn't remove from her face, though she still managed a raised brow at what was apparently Sorin's old demeanor. These words Kasmina took in stride, with wide eyes as she experienced the gentleness of her mother which she'd not known in decade or more. And though she didn't need this experience, she cherished it greatly.

Costel Dacian heard his wife's words to his daughter's husband and was ashamed of himself. Firstly he'd treated this man as a potential suitor way worse than all others, beyond that, he'd offered him something as immaterial as a shared moment with his wife. A moment later and Kasmina had moved to the side of this interaction, she'd had enough time with her mother and was pleased beyond reason at seeing her again. She'd also found out something interesting about Sorin which of course, she'd love to discuss at some later time. Regardless, the Baroness Dacian found herself speaking to her husband once more. "You know what you've done, and you are better than such behavior. If nothing else you should make it right..." she said as her lips pressed against his forehead as well. This was a shining moment in the life of her husband. He realized he was too far gone in his grief, too wrapped up in things that didn't matter. "I know... I just..." this man's face was wet with tears as he took in the last fleeting images of his wife. He knew this moment couldn't last forever. "I'll do better." he managed finally which made his wife smile. "That's a good man." and just like that the woman looked back at Sorin. "I am ready to depart once more, I owe you thanks instead. I never thought I'd see my grown daughter so happy, nor that I'd get the chance to set him straight again," she said seemingly pleased with her work this day.

"Your words do me great honor, my lady. To hear such things from you grants a feeling akin to a blessing from the Lord himself. A fitting sensation, considering." For the duration of this clause, Sorin remained bowed. He rose moments later, wearing the same gentle expression he'd started with. "You will be pleased to know that I use my feeding to aide those who can no longer find salvation in this world. I send them to our Lord in your honor, that they might suffer no longer." Kasandra had more words to share with her daughter, including some to push her toward keeping an eye on Sorin's eating habits. This was an interesting thing to note, considering what state Sorin had been in when the Baroness stumbled upon him about 30 years ago.

Soon enough, Kasandra returned to speaking with Costel, and even chastising him again. When all was said and done between them, she faced Sorin again to note that she was prepared to return. A smile crossed the male vampire's face as he looked upon this woman. "The gates are open to you. No thanks are owed to me, my lady. It is my sworn duty to ensure your daughter is as content as she can be by my doing. You may rest peacefully," he said, waving his hand in a way that would cast holy light upon Kasandra's form, allowing her passage back into Heaven at her own discretion.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast