Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sibiu

Her father was nodding about whatever this man had to say. She didn't know the full extent to what they were discussing but as the topic of discussion switch to vampires, and her own apparent disbelief she seemed to find it rather stunning. 'Really? He found the body of that woman the other night then I take it... the Lord Phantomhive should be more careful...' she thought to herself. 'Perhaps I should tell him, considering it is a fair exchange for him helping to shut down my father so completely the other night,' she thought to herself as the man spoke on the various powers and abilities of these supposed vampires she should believe in. Of course, it wasn't that Kasmina didn't believe in vampires completely, she simply had no reason to assume any such thing was ever something to worry about in her own case. Beyond this, she couldn't really believe that Sorin Phantomhive had done anything like removing a woman's soul from her body, after all this man said prayers and uttered religious things surely he couldn't be that sort of person?

"Did you say you own a property as large as this town?" her father asked, though his tone was calm, Kasmina looked over her tea cup and could see his excitement. 'And just like that he climbs to number one suitor, father's got no face for gambling. It's a wonder he didn't lose everything after mother died,' she thought as if she could see the man's thoughts about the place where Gregor had come from. The fact that the man had all but offered him all of the property made it seem to the girl that she'd end up married to this gentle giant without being able to say much of anything about it. Still she had to play along like an interested party, and so she did, choosing this time to hunt for information about vampires, as it was probably the last time she'd be able to question it without revealing what she knew in any way. "Well when you say it like that, I feel like I must be more vigilant. I had no reason to believe before as such a thing bears generally the sounds of wives tales and whispered forgotten secrets. But, with your first hand experience sir, I can hardly choose willful ignorance," she said as she sipped more tea and went on to ask a question. "Sir, what all do you expect I should do to avoid these creatures, besides not being out alone at night? How will I know if I encounter this vampire?" she asked, seemingly curious about his work and making sure to look out for her own safety. Of course, her father saw this as a proper change of pace for the lass, only further showing the greed he felt in the matter.

Baron Dacian had picked up on Gregor's mention of his property. This was a good thing to note, as he was very keen on leaving said property behind him. "I do. My da, Laird, inherited it from his da, and his da before. Where I'm from, the name Laird means landowner. Rightly so, it is. Still... I'd just as soon get rid of it all, what with all the bad memories it brings up. Got to keep me head clear to do the Lord's work and clear out the vampire menace." True enough, Gregor had long since resolved himself to wipe out the vampire race with his own hands, if necessary. He knew there were many other hunters before him, but if he could contribute to the cause in any way before his passing, his only complaint at the end would be not having an heir.

Kasmina, at the very least, seemed to take some interest in what he had to say. As far as Gregor was concerned, it was curiosity well-used for the sake of one's continued existence in this poor, ravenous world. If it was information she sought, he'd be glad to give her all he knew. "Well, I'd be a poor man to advise never goin' out at night again. There are some precautions ye can take. These bloodsuckers all have different allergic reactions to things ye can find layin' around here. Garlic and anythin' silver can stave 'em off from bitin' ye, but that won't do on the good ones. Ye want something blessed. Holy water works best, but a simple cross'll do fine. If, God forbid, ye wanna kill one... ye want a wooden stake to drive through the heart. Just remember to never look one in the eye. If they be strong enough, they'll latch onto yer mind and make ye a slave."

Her father's eyes widened lavishly at the idea that this man's family owned much of the land where he was from. Enough of it, that even his name was connected to it. It was impressive to say the least, though he found it strange that the man was willing to give all of it up just to settle into a life of killing things that stalked in the night. "I can't say I understand your motivations, but such an offering is worthy of my daughter's hand, lord willing a better offer doesn't come up," the man said. Such was the sort of thing Kasmina's father would say as he tried to make sure he could get as much out of this deal as possible. After all, at present Kasmina was his only daughter and he didn't know if he'd have any more children any time soon, with his son being so young.

Meanwhile Kasmina managed to look quite engrossed in what Gregor had to say. She was at the very least interested because it allowed her to compare this information to what she'd seen from the man she'd encountered on the night of the full moon. 'Didn't bother with garlic, seemed unaffected by silver. My ring is pure silver and he took my hand, with no obvious problems a couple of times even...' she thought to herself. That seemed like the sort of thing which would lead one to believe that if Viscount Phantomhive was actually a vampire he was likely one of the strong ones the man before her was warning her against. At the mention of holy items the girl's eyes widened, of course, it would go without saying that if a holy item were to work, she didn't think it would on this particular man, especially not considering he spoke of god himself and conferred blessings to her at the end of the night. She supposed there was no harm in keeping a cross on her person but, she could hardly see a reason for it. 'Blessed items, perhaps they work on lowly creatures, but what if he is something more?' she thought as the final thing was spoken by this man.

Who seemed to be under the impression that vampires could somehow ensnare victims with their eyes. And this made her wonder if that wasn't how this man had come to have the meal of the woman he'd killed before they'd properly met. 'I suppose being able to lull a victim into a false sense of security is to be expected. But I made eye contact with him constantly over the course of the night, and I never felt unlike myself,' she completed her thoughts. By all rights what was said confirmed any lingering suspicious about the nature of the Viscount Phantomhive, even so, she believed him a good and righteous man, even more so because he'd apparently had the power to do whatever he'd wanted to her and had refrained. With this in mind she had all the information she needed to feel confident in her decision to warn him of this vampire hunter who might pose him a problem or two at some point. "Thank you for informing me, Sir MacLaird. I will of course, do my best to remain vigilant and aware of my surroundings. I doubt I am the type to hunt a vampire or anything like that... such activities should be left to professionals such as yourself. But I appreciate your honesty in this matter, and pray I never have to put such information to good use," she said offering the man a smile. She really was grateful and it wasn't as if he was the worst man she'd ever met. Beyond this it gave her the opening she'd wanted to return a kindness shown to her by the Viscount Phantomhive. "That's my prized daughter, always curious and gracious. I'd rather hold off on accepting the offer just now, Baron MacLaird. You know, give the idea some time to settle and all of that..." said the Baron Dacian. Of course, this man was miles above any other in the area as far as what he had to offer, and given this the Baron Dacian had all but decided. He only avoided immediate confirmation because business had taught him to leave a potential customer dangling for just a little while would often sweeten the deal in anticipation.

A few additional sips of tea followed Gregor's speech. He didn't expect Sir Dacian to understand his reasons for wanting to be rid of his land in Scotland. For years now, that home had only caused him additional pain and suffering. He hoped his new life here would create more pleasant memories, but only time and perseverance would allow him to know for certain. At the very least, he could now be content in knowing he was deemed worthy to have this man's daughter as his bride, provided no better suitor came along before Baron Dacian decided to finalize this deal.

More importantly, there was the matter of Kasmina's dealings with the night, and her seemingly newfound wariness of nightstalkers. With her voiced prayer, Gregor lowered his own teacup to place a hand over his heart, and join her in the sentiment. "I'll keep ye in my prayers as well, hen. Same goes for all of ye here. I never thought even Transylvania could be so bad aboot these vampires. Must be the remains of that Dracula still plaguin' the land."

Though this man's speech was hard to understand, Kasmina was at least able to get the sentiment in his words. She didn't know of Dracula or anything about what of his could plague this land. After all, she was under 20 years of age, and tales of Dracula occurred a few generations ago. Much could be lost to time and beyond that she didn't know if her city of choice had a 'vampire menace' as the man had put it. The girl smiled to the man and bowed her head, soon after she'd take the last sip of her tea and stand giving a small curtsy to the group at large. "It was a pleasure meeting you Baron MacLaird, but if you'll excuse me, I shall be taking my leave now," she said as went to make her exit from this place. Their business had all but concluded so her father was less stressed than he could have been. Even so, the Baron Dacian couldn't help but wonder where his daughter was off to. "Daughter, you're leaving again?" he asked, it was the middle of the day so there was less to fear overall, but she was liable to be gone well into the night depending on the activity she chose. A smile came to the young woman's face as she paused at the door.

"I figured with all this talk of vampires it was better to show at least a bit of caution. Hendryck sent over the mare he offered as a present to me, so I was going for a ride to familiarize myself with her. I figured it'd be better for all if I didn't wait too late. If it's alright with you father..." she said as if she was asking permission, the same look of neutrality on her face that she'd managed to hold. Unlike her father, she could see this room and knew such a simple activity would be more than enough to explain away her suddenness of her leaving. And this small act of submission and the tiniest bit of information, would allow her to leave without it being an ordeal. "Oh yes, I forgot you said he gave you mare. Go ahead then, enjoy your ride, and do be careful." said her father in earnest, before looking to the Baron MacLaird. "Girl is adventurous at least, but it's all in good fun, one of the children of the other Baron in the area raises horses. He heard that her favored one died and sent over a prize one for her... kind boy." said the man as if to further stir the pot a bit. Meanwhile, if no further interruptions were to take place, Kasmina was head to the stables for the horse she wished to ride, and disembark towards the estate belonging to one Sorin Phantomhive forthwith.

At this point, his prayers were all he could offer to anyone in this household. At least, that was the case if the concern was keeping them out of vampire-related dangers. Gregor knew this land did not suffer from as many different things as his homeland; they had few, if any werebeasts at all. On the other hand, the severity of the vampire threat was yet unknown. He'd have to find out for himself what sort of dangers one should look out for, but in his experience, one powerful vampire always meant a cult of them. "Don't fret much, either of ye. I'll lop off the head of whatever bloodsucker's in charge 'round 'ere. That'll cripple the rest of 'em."

With Kasmina departing, Gregor tipped an imaginary hat to the woman. It was Baron Dacian who spoke on the matter of her adventurous nature. Frankly, it reminded Gregor of how others close to him would be in his old home, before the vampire menace properly reached Scotland. The red-haired man's words would, however, regard the gift horse Kasmina had apparently required in recent times. "Ah, nothin' like a trusty steed to forge a bond! I'd best be makin' my way anaw," he said while rising from his seat, preparing to depart shortly after Kasmina. "I'll be in touch, Baron. Got to make sure I'm able to keep a strong offer on the table."

Continue the story here.

After her daylight horseback ride away from the dwelling she called her home, Kasmina would be returning to her home on the back of that same horse, a completely black steed called Midnight. Her day had been one of great clarity and confusion but she'd enjoyed her horse ride nonetheless. Surprisingly enough, though it was after dark the girl didn't return alone nor had her ride back taken nearly as long as her ride out. The crisp night air danced across her face as her mind filled with dread, as she knew the hearty steps of her father even without supernatural abilities from outside the door. The girl's father, miffed as always about her late return, swung open the door of their house, with a great creaking, to see the girl before she dismounted her horse. "Kasmina! You claimed to be back before nightfall, what is it you've been doing this time?" the man claimed to want to know. As usual whenever the girl returned to her home after dark, her father had a problem with it. It seemed to be the case more so as he'd already negotiated the girl's marriage in all but actual acceptance of it. He couldn't have the Scotsman withdrawing his offer because of the girl's wanderlust. The girl's emerald eyes turned towards her father and she said nothing immediately, no she waited for she figured this night would be very much full of surprises.

Indeed, the young lady Dacian did not ride alone for her journey back to her place of residence, as she had upon leaving. For the second time in life, as well as in recent days, she would be found in the company of the vampire Sorin. He rode in on the back of a mare whose fur painted a picture of the midnight sky with its shiny coat. Upon reaching the residence, he could smell the approach of Kasmina's father beyond the door. It was strange. Kasmina, beyond her bodily scent of lilac and gooseberries, bore blood which surpassed the appeal of the rarest flower, or the sweetest fruit. The Baron Dacian was very different from this. His blood now smelled of meat taken from a sickly lamb, sat next to a glass of milk left to spoil. It was repulsive. Sorin couldn't begin to fathom the stark difference between father and child at this very moment, but he felt they weren't as different before as they were now. The visiting Scotsman had woken something within the Baron.

Sorin had abandoned his horse prior to the Baron's appearance, and walked beside it as Kasmina dismounted hers. In the meantime, the woman's father rose to question another late return home by her. "My apologies again, Sir Dacian. I am afraid your daughter was once again in my care. We meant to return sooner, but I take full responsibility for underestimating the distance betwixt Castlevania and your humble abode. Even riding horseback could not ensure a timely return."

At this moment, as Kasmina finally dismounted her horse, the man who'd ridden with her back here, spoke to her angry father about her apparent tardiness. Though the green-eyed beauty knew well it wasn't about her well-being at this point but simply about the image and greed her father wished to uphold, the speech of the Count of Castlevania seemed to lull the man back just a bit. The Baron Dacian seemed to find it a bit strange that the girl would be found in this man's presence twice, and though he jokingly mentioned the girl could do what she wanted days ago, he hadn't expected this turn of events a second time. "Oh? Lord Phantomhive, once again returning in my daughter's company," it seemed the Baron Dacian looked strangely upon the blossoming friendship between these two.

"Of course, I thank you for returning her. But I do find your secondary visit here to be more than a bit odd, sir. The girl is practically betrothed," said the Baron, whose given name was Costel but chose to be addressed as such, even within his own home. This was quite different than what Kasmina expected. Her father had tripped all over himself before in this man's presence. Perhaps the Scotsman had awoken something within her father that helped him find the less than savory parts of his personality. Whatever the case the young lass looked at the man with not a hint of her thoughts showing on her face. "Oh? Settled on that one did you, father?" asked the girl with meek curiosity. "He's a strong man, with a good offer on the table, I'd be a fool not to accept it..." said the man. This led Kasmina to inwardly scoff, 'He's twice my age, his words are barely intelligible and his work is dangerous. Father you are far too easy to understand. Hm,' she thought, but he hadn't accepted it. He knew this deep in his mind, it was simply trying to fish out what this lad's interest in his daughter was, for lands or things in his home land of equal or greater value would make the Scotsman's offer seem dull and dreary. But a Viscount wasn't likely to simply want to marry his daughter, and if that wasn't the case, then the lad should be discouraged from further interactions with her.

"Of course, Sir Dacian," he replied while giving a light bow, crossing his right arm over his chest as he did so. The Baron thought it was odd that he'd be found in the company of Kasmina a second time, but more importantly, he thought it was pertinent to mention her virtual engagement at the time. This was of no consequence to the Count. He would see to it that this marriage did not happen. He was now here to claim his betrothed.

As he rose from his bow, Sorin met this man with his gaze. It was time now to make his purpose known. "Practically betrothed indeed. That, good sir, is why I stand before you this very moment. I would see the Lady Kasmina wed to me, instead. What say you?"

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast