"There you have it, Baron," Sorin chimed in at the end of Kasmina's speech, and the beginning of Costel's departure. "As a favor to yourself, I may suggest steering clear of taverns and card tables. There will be no help for you here," he concluded. It was a downright pity to see the father of his wife in such a state, but he frankly felt nothing of it. The Baron had brought this upon himself and his house, and the latter deserved neither the misfortune nor the man who sowed the proverbial seeds.

Once the Baron was out of his sights, Sorin shut his eyes. A prayer in his thoughts went out to those who had to deal with Costel Dacian. "I pity those who see misery at the hands of the Baron, and rejoice for those who find some form of mental salvation from his transgressions. I will personally see to it that the child and his mother lead a life of happiness by whatever means I am fit to provide. May my prayers reach their hearts and minds, that they may not be driven mad by Baron Dacian in the meantime."

Continue the story here.