Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Main Thread

His sudden change in demeanour surprised her.

May let him help her up though she didn't let her guard down. She wondered why he'd thought sharing the same hair color as Wesley Miles would make her his associate in crime. Perhaps he knew about the Griever's prophecy?

There is no way he would know.

May ran her fingers through her short curls. Memories of her childhood flashed through her mind. Her white hair had been a constant source of ridicule. As a child, she'd always been feared and reviled. At one point, her mother had shaved her hair off in the hopes of sparing her the humiliation and the pain of social rejection. At ten years old, May had been forced to wear a turban around her head. Even so, the bullying didn't stop. After all, everyone knew everybody because her home village had been small.

She'd lived in Yama, a long stretch of hidden land beneath the Yuntai Mountain. Her people had been deeply rooted in their culture. They'd believed the gods sometimes breathed heavenly fire into the souls of humans, granting them immense power, the dragons still flew the skies and swam in the great rivers, and the spirits roamed the forest that bordered their village and therefore, twice a year, the elders left offerings—little pieces of goat meat, fruits freshly taken from farms and vegetables that glistened with the morning dew—as a sign of peace and to ward off the evil entities. Above all, they'd believed every prophecy made by the Griever. Even though half of them were a whole load of bull.

It wasn't until she was twelve when the men and women in colorful tight costumes came to take her. Their leader had been an old man in a grey trench coat. His back had been crooked, his face covered by a huge pair of gold-rimmed glasses that made his eyes seem bigger than a frog's. Later, she would find out he was Charles Johansson, owner of Benny's House, an orphanage for gifted children. He'd spoken to her mother in private and by the time they were done, she'd been convinced May would have a better life with them.

A jolt of lightning surged through her body, drawing her out of her memories. Her own power rushed to engulf his and though it wasn't much, she felt a little bit stronger.

May also noticed they had company.

A blonde woman materialized behind the man and judging by the tone of her voice, she didn't seem particularly happy to be seen.

"Whoah! Who are you?" Considering May wasn't superstitious, any thoughts of ghosts didn't cross her mind. She suspected the woman may be a Super with the powers of invisibility but something about her felt off. With an incredulous look, May turned her gaze to the man. "And who are you?"
    Last edited by Risa; 07-22-2018 at 05:17 PM.

"It was impossible, of course. But when did that ever stop any dreamer from dreaming?"

Ronald had gone as far as to pin the girl down and ask for her identity, but all this time he hadn’t even provided his. Of course, he was the second person she addressed. And that was perfectly natural; he could imagine how it must have looked for her to have somebody suddenly appear out of nowhere. Seeing how she didn’t question Wesley’s being, he assumed that she knew about him a bit. Not personally of course, but from the news. After all, the incident at Dublin two years ago had a profound effect on media in general. Though even then, he felt a bit concerned about sharing his name. Unlike his twin brother he had managed to keep a secret identity pretty well. Cameras were unable to get a clear shot of his face when he was running, and when he didn’t run he would simply vibrate his face and his vocal cords. “My name is Ronald Miles and I’m the fastest man alive.” he said with a serious tone. He wasn’t trying to gloat or boast his ego, but give May an understanding of his capabilities. Although she seemed like a nice person, she was still a stranger. “And this cute blondie here is the Moment, the source of my power.” he continued. Hearing the sudden unexpected compliment made the Moment blush and turn away. “Normally only I can see her but since I shared my powers with you to speed up your healing process, so can you. That’s why she is kinda cranky.” whispered Ronald while leaning forward. Yet, his efforts were pointless because the Moment heard what he said. “What?! I’m not cranky!” she protested immediately. To her, this was very much like Ronald, as he would often enjoy giving her a compliment before making an absurd statement. “Yes you are. You are like a geezer.” replied the young man, his voice coming out at a higher pitch. From there on he and the Moment engaged in what they called speed talking; a technique that combined communication and speed. Despite getting into a deep and heavy conversation, May wouldn’t be able to catch any of that.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

May would have acknowledged his introduction with a reckness sneer if Ronald hadn't sounded so serious. He really was the fastest man in the world which meant he'd just shared with her part of his power. Oh boy, she'd have to be the biggest fool in the universe if she didn't test his abilities. As he argued with the Moment, albeit in a teasing way, May decided not to interrupt them. In fact, she thought it was the perfect moment to try out her new abilities.

Spinning, she dashed towards the edge of the rooftop and made a jump, her hands spread out in a swan dive. Super explosive speed shot through her body. May let out a woot. Ronald's power coupled with hers was a blast. She landed on a water tank, hopped off to crouch against the glass pane of a skyscraper and began wall-running. Any human would see nothing but a blur of movement so fast, they'd think it was a figment of their imagination.

As she shot through the air, she felt a trickle of power fade away. It seemed his power-sharing was only momentary. It was time to return. May made one final jump, flipped and landed on the rooftop.

"That was refreshing," she said, laughing as a hum of excitement drummed through her blood. She leaned forward from her waist, bowing a little and smiled. "Thank you."

She wanted to mention she could self-regenerate but felt she could keep that a secret for now. Besides, as much as it had been short-lived, she wouldn't mind experiencing his abilities again if he was ever obliged to share. It was a little selfish and she couldn't help but chortle at herself.

Turning to the Moment, May noticed she was barely a silhouette, her features fading away like ash blown by the wind. Before she disappeared, May said to her, "Nice to meet you."

When Ronald had introduced himself, he'd mentioned his surname was Miles. Did he have any connection to Wesley Miles? When she'd arrived at the scene, they were the only ones fighting and when Wesley had managed to escape, Ronald had been frustrated. They had to be connected in some way. She was also curious about the Moment. If he was the source of her power, did that mean she was his constant companion? Wouldn't that make things sometimes...uncomfortable?

"Are you related to Wesley Miles? What happened? Is the Moment always with you?"

May clamped a hand over her mouth as color rushed to her cheeks. She'd asked too many questions at once no doubt, to a total stranger. It was absolutely mortifying!
    Last edited by Risa; 07-22-2018 at 05:22 PM.

"It was impossible, of course. But when did that ever stop any dreamer from dreaming?"

After he and the Moment concluded their speed talk, Ronald set his gaze upon May. The girl had taken a liking to his powers. Watching her use them also gave him an idea of her own. First of all, for somebody borrowing his abilities to be able to run up on a skyscraper was intriguing. This was a feat that he could achieve easily due to his slim body structure after years of using his powers. For somebody without his build it would be very difficult, meaning that the girl possessed superhuman strength. Secondly she didn’t seem to be tired, whereas a normal person would feel exhausted after using his speed. After all, Ronald couldn’t share his hyper metabolism with others. So this meant she possessed superhuman stamina. Third, May’s reaction time was unexpectedly good for somebody who had just gotten faster all of a sudden. Sure, one could say that she used the speed to enhance her senses as well but even for Ronald honing his senses had taken years. So he theorized that she already had superhuman senses or superhuman agility… or both. Lastly, she appeared to be unaffected by the biggest downside of being fasts: friction. The Moment’s specialized energy field coupled with his heat resistant clothing allowed Ronald to bypass this. For someone who didn’t have specialized protection, it require a tremendous amount of durability. Feeling fascinated that May displayed such promise, the speedster wondered if she could be of any help to him one day. Once she was back, her borrowed powers started to fade away. Imagining that the Moment would be invisible to her once again, Ronald closed his eyes shortly and felt the electrical surge that he had provided the girl exit her system. Afterwards he was bombarded with questions. “The Moment isn’t always with me… Not when I don’t want her to be. Important thing is that she is always there when I need her.” he said with a smile, which seemingly pleased the Moment. “And I always will be.” replied the blonde woman, and landed a kiss on Ronald’s left cheek before vanishing from his sight as well. “As for Wesley… well… he is my twin brother. I can say that he never really liked me, but it still felt like we could have a normal relationship. That was until what happened in Dublin of course.” Ronald’s smile turned into a blank expression as he spoke. He was pretty sure that May was aware of what had happened in Dublin, but just like anybody else nobody knew what had caused the fight or any other details regarding it. Guessing that she would be interested in those as well he prepared himself to answer.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

The sun had tipped to the west, dipping the clouds in shades of gold and vermillion. May followed a trail of pigeons flying in a wide arc. Her navy green military jacket flapped in the wind as a cold gust blew over the rooftop. It was high-collared with seven rows of gold button details. She noticed Ronald was smiling when he spoke of the Moment. He seemed fond of her. If May had asked her mother the origins of her abilities, she’d say without any hesitation, the gods had breathed heavenly fire into her soul and that she was meant for greatness even though her entire village thought her a monster. She knew it was only the work of nature, that her body had adapted and evolved. She also knew she would never destroy the world. May may have trodden the path of darkness more than once but global annihilation wasn't part of her plan.

“Your twin?” May asked, puzzled by the revelation.

Ronald and Wesley were nothing alike in more ways than appearances. Wesley had been intent on destruction. That much was certain bearing in mind the Dublin incident. She realized, with certain clarity that it must have been Ronald who had tried to stop him on both accounts. In Dublin, the news had shown videos of someone fighting against him but his image had been too blurry to pinpoint any specific person.

“It was you who tried to stop him, wasn’t it?” For the second, time, she asked the same question, wanting to know more about the brothers and their past. “What happened?”

“Yeah, it was me. It’s always me. But to be fair I was also responsible for the collateral damage in Dublin.” admitted the speedster. “Only breaking the sound barrier causes great agitation. I could go ten times that. And didn’t know how to hold back.” Compared to two years ago, Ronald had come a very long way. He could go much faster now, about thirty four times the speed of sound. Though he rarely made full use of his maximum speed; it was very close to the escape velocity of Earth and the last thing he wanted was being thrown off from the planet’s gravitational force. Other than that he had learned to throw lightning and phase through objects by vibrating at the same frequency as the air. These could make him feel better; but his twin brother also grew at a similar rate, if not faster than him. Each time he confronted him, he had to come up with a new plan. The thought of running out of ideas one day would basically be his demise. As the girl asked what was wrong, Ronald involuntarily laughed. It was such a long story that he didn’t know where to begin. So he decided to give her the best summary he could conjure for the time being. “Wes is trying to kill me. He blames me for our parents’ death, even though there was nothing either of us could do. I guess that’s not how he sees it.”
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

"I hope the two of you can patch things up," May said, a twinge of sadness in her voice.

She never had any siblings but if there was anything she could relate to, it would be the relationship she had with the Hive members. They were a close-knit group, fiercely loyal to one another. In simple truth, they were her family.

"I'm glad you learnt to control your powers." She held out her hands above her head, stretching. "Seeing New York ruined would have been...devastating."

Just then, her phone beeped. She took it out from an inner pocket of her jacket and checked the screen. There was a message notification. May unlocked her phone with a series of complicated patterns drawn in rapid movements and read the message. The sender's name was Dead Poet and the message read:

The Pied Piper has played the pipe
    And the final hour is falling ripe
    The dark-winged maiden trotters
    As they fall into the troubling waters

-C.P Eli

May rolled her eyes.

She'd taken to calling Eli, Dead Poet, for a reason. He tended to be overdramatic with his secret messages. Once, he'd sent her a sonnet praising the Mexican cuisine which in simple words meant, she should get the Hive members dinner. When May read it out aloud to them as they wolfed down chicken tortilla soup and enchiladas, Jun, their personal scout made a rock song out of it. The others had joined in the fun with May being designated as their lead guitarist and Keiran, their analytics expert, had been assigned to the drums. It had been one of her favorite moments.

Sliding her phone back to the pocket, she glanced at Ronald and decided, she might as well as ask him to come along. Eli had just given May her first task for the night and she could use some company. She could explain everything on the way. He was inhumanly fast and with his help, she could be done with the job before midnight.

But only if he agreed.

"How fast can you get me to the Bethesda Fountain in Central Park?"

“I used to feel like the distance between us could be closed. But not anymore. Not since Dublin, anyway.” replied Ronald to May’s comment. What she said could be considered overly optimistic since it didn’t reflect the tiniest bit of their reality. As for what she said about New York being devastated, the speedster agreed with a simple nod. As both of the twins had grown considerably, going all out with their abilities would mean utter annihilation for the city. Wesley wouldn’t give a tinker’s curse about it of course, but Ronald still cared. Soon afterwards May’s phone received a message, which she quickly read. It appeared like something had come up with her and she needed to go to Central Park. With a swift movement Ronald appeared next to the girl and lifted her. Grabbing onto her tightly, he ran towards the requested location and quite literally arrived in an instant. “This fast.” he said as he put the girl down. He didn’t even need to make use of his full speed as Central Park was quite close to the Times Square. They were both standing in the center of the terrace now, next to the fountain.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

It happened so fast, May scarcely registered the whirl of colors and shapes as Ronald moved her from Times Square to Central Park. She was impressed. Scanning her surroundings, May first drew her attention to the fountain rather than the terrace. The sound of bubbling water was soothing to her ears. Various plants floated on the surface of the water, bobbing in the gentle breeze. There were no other civilians within the city. She supposed it was because of the incident at Times Square.

“There should be a clue somewhere here,” she said to Ronald. “Do you notice anything that stands out?”

She remembered the last two verses of the poem. Eli had specifically mentioned the dark-winged maiden which meant the clue had to be on the angel statue standing in the middle of the fountain. The dark-winged maiden trotters… Her gaze dropped to the statue’s feet. She saw nothing at first but then as she stared long enough, she noticed a piece of rock lying between the angel’s left sole and her right toes. It had the same color as the statue, giving it a perfect camouflage and the angel's dress added the cover by throwing a shadow over it.

Bending her knees, May shot through the air with superhuman speed, landed on the fountain, picked up the stone and jumped outside the pool. Ronald would have no problem tracking her movements since he was much faster but any ordinary human wouldn’t be able to.

“All this seems so strange, huh?” she said, holding out the rock for Ronald to see. “My contact always takes extreme precautions but I think he enjoys these detective games a little too much. Oh, right…I should explain this from the beginning.” She flipped the rock over, examining it for engravings. “I asked you to accompany me because I’m going to need a date.”

May stared at Ronald, a lopsided grin pulling the corner of her mouth.

“And it’s not what you think.”

Ronald laughed. And he laughed hard. Not because of what May had said last, about not taking things the wrong way. It was because of how she had started to search for something while making explanations, as if Ronald didn’t have bigger problems to take care of. Besides, she hadn’t told him anything about what she was doing. So the whole process she was going through there was a big question mark for the speedster. “Wouldn’t mind a date with a fine lady such as yourself. There is one problem though.” said Ronald. Before carrying on he halted his laugh completely. “Who are you? You have powers like I do. I get that. But who? I don’t even know your full name. Plus, you didn’t ask me to accompany you. You simply wanted to know how fast I could get you here.” he continued, with a serious tone. He didn’t bother meeting the girl’s line of sight, as he knew his words would have more than enough impact on the conversation. Taking two steps away from the fountain he turned back to finally look at her. “Now, I love a bad girl… but trust you? Seriously?”
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast