Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Main Thread

May snorted then closed her fist, the rock in the palm of her hand warming up. Maybe, it would do the trick. “You didn’t let me finish explaining.”

For a guy who didn’t trust her, he sure was open about his rocky relationship with his brother and the incident at Dublin. He’d even shared his powers with her if only for a little while. If she gave out the same information to Kieran, he’d have a field day. He could summon an ocean of information from a single drop of data.

“I’m May Blackwood, a second year Economics student and a part-time librarian.” She let out a sigh. “Which reminds me, I should get my bag from the alley near Bluebeard’s Bistro. Uni text books are freaking expensive.”

It was a standard introduction with no incriminating details. She needed the double life to maintain some semblance of normality. If May was being completely honest, she’d say she was also a high-ranking agent for an organization that manipulated the forces of order and chaos in the world from the shadows of civilization. While she couldn’t tell him about the Hive, she contemplated showing Ronald her abilities but decided against it in case he refused to accompany her.

She did, however, know something that might tempt him to join her.

“A secret auction will take place at seven o’clock tonight,” she said. “Before it begins, there will be a chance for the folks to interact. All the attendees will be Supers and most especially, they will be key players in the society. I know just where the event will be.” Opening her fist, May revealed the rock to Ronald. It now had coordinates glowing in blue. Just as she had suspected, the hidden message could only be exposed by heat. “These are the coordinates. Here’s the thing…” She pocketed the rock. “The object to be auctioned is a power enhancer and if it falls into the wrong hands, there would be dire consequences. I sure as hell won’t let that happen. I’m going to steal it before anyone gets to it and I know, with your help, we can do it. Now, if you don’t want to take part in this, that’s fine. I can always improvise.”
    Last edited by Risa; 08-04-2018 at 07:57 PM.

"It was impossible, of course. But when did that ever stop any dreamer from dreaming?"

As the girl introduced herself and briefly gave information about her profession, Ronald quietly listened. He would want to go to university as well but he had never had the chance to. Though thanks to what he dubbed the speed mind he could most probably graduate in a day. When the girl mentioned her bag, which contained her textbooks, the speedster vibrated for a second. At the same moment the girl’s bag would appear on the ground next to her feet. Being pretty sure that this was the bag that belonged to her, as it contained the aforementioned textbooks. “A power enhancer?” he repeated after May finished what she had to say. An item like that was too dangerous for anybody in a wrong state to possess. Especially Wesley. Perhaps that was why he was in New York. Maybe it was his carelessness but Ronald had never though of another reason for his brother to be present in the city other than killing him and making a scene. Maybe he had bigger plans this time. “Well we can’t just let anybody get a hold of that, can we?” he said calmly and gestured his hand for the girl to lead the way.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

"I think we could use your speed to get there," May said, slinging the bag over her back and locking her right arm with Ronald's.

The world around her blurred in a plethora of colors as they moved. Within seconds, they were standing on the tracks of an abandoned metro several feet below the streets of New York. Up ahead, a stage had been set up complete with glittering velvet curtains and bright spotlights. Though there was nobody on the stage, the surrounding area was littered with noisy Supers and rusted junk. May stared at a man who floated a deck of cards in the air, swinging them in the direction of his hand. Another woman with a pink mohawk twirled a dragon of flame around her neck. Her skin remained in tact.

"Hmph! Show-offs." May released Ronald's hand. "You'd think it was a competition about who's got the best power."

She stepped forward, walking towards the stage. There were several minutes left before the auction would begin which meant there was still time for folks to intermingle. May wondered if a fight would ensue. Any gathering with a lot of Supers was a ticking bomb waiting to explode.

"It was impossible, of course. But when did that ever stop any dreamer from dreaming?"

“Ah…” said Ronald silently as they arrived at the abandoned metro station. It had been decorated and repurposed for particular events like this. Reminiscing of his time in Dublin, he remembered the meetings and parties he attended. It was very similar to this one, save for the fact that in Ireland people with powers were referred to as mutants and not supers. “We had underground activities like this in Dublin as well.” he told May as the duo walked towards the stage. He passed by a guy who could extend thorns from his skin. And another one could breathe fire but only seemed to be able to partially control it. There were indeed lots of people with a variety of abilities here; it would almost be fun to see them in mayhem. As they approached the stage slowly, the speedster leaned in towards the girl. “Can you quickly tell me your abilities? So I know what to expect in case… you know… something happens.” he whispered. He had already made several deductions about her powers, but wanted to be sure. Besides, she could also possess abilities that had nothing to do with what he had observed earlier.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

"I can do this."

May picked up a stray beetle from Ronald's shoulder—it had probably hitched a ride from Central Park—and balanced it on the tip of her right index finger. It morphed into a black spider that did a tap dance as it moved to her palm. Suddenly, it twitched, leting out a hiss as its body transformed to a miniature spider monster with claws on its legs and multiple red eyes on its abdomen. Its fangs snapped in warning. She closed her palm and then splayed out her fingers like a magician revealing a trick. The beetle was back in place. May let it fly off to explore its new surroundings.

Realizing she was just as much of a show-off as the others, she huffed. Although what she had shown him was merely a glimpse of her true powers, the little act has been unecessary.

"Organic manipulation," May said. She wiggled her fingers as if to spook him though she was only teasing him. "Well, sort of. My abilities cannot be mimicked. They come with various...side effects."

Ronald watched the girl pick up a beetle and transform it into various forms. She dubbed her ability organic manipulation, which took a short chuckle out of the speedster. Technically speaking, most of the molecules she changed in that beetle were inorganic molecules after all. But he understood what she meant and didn’t want to dwell on it any further. “Cool. That might come in handy.” he said genuinely. If she could apply her powers on a bigger scale with refined control, she could possibly transform anything according to her liking. Knowing she was accompanied by someone strong, Ronald took several seconds to scan his surroundings. He looked for wearing their faces with either masks or hoods. He was a stranger to this city, yes, but he didn’t think he would feel alienated to this extent. “Be careful. Something bad happened here.” Out of nowhere echoed the Moment’s voice. Though she did not appear she had taken the opportunity to warn Ronald. “Happened?” asked Ronald back. “Sorry. Will happen.” replied the Moment. She was able to see possible futures and she often confused it with the present or the past. So she would sometimes get confused and use the wrong tense. The speedster didn’t ask for extra information. He had gotten enough info for the time being. He looked around once more, this time more cautiously. But yet again, he failed to catch anything suspicious. As he continued the lights started to fade and radial lighting became more apparent. A tune started to play, which he identified as Let’s Get Ready to Rumble from Jock Jams. A pretty popular song from the ‘90s movie Space Jam.

“Y’all ready for this?” yelled somebody from the microphone as the music continued. The lights started to flash in different directions before converging on the main stage, revealing the auctioneer. Meanwhile people had already started to end their personal conversations to listen to him and get closer. “Welcome to the auction. Great to see everyone gathered up so nicely.” he said with a giant smile and received a round of applause. He was a man in his forties. He had short white hair that was combed back and thick brown beard. He wore a navy colored suit vest and matching pants, with a white shirt. He had rolled up his sleeves and was giving a serious aura despite his smile. Waving his hand and signing for the crowd to stop applauding, he continued once silence was established. “I’m sure everybody knows what happened during the last auction. Apparently people got impatient with the big-ticket item because it was, as it traditionally is, at the end. I personally don’t think it’s a good reason for a fight to break out but you know…” he said and coughed. “Anyway. Just because of that, this time we decided to ditch the tradition. Ladies and gents, for once we will be starting off with the big-ticket item!” he finished his sentence yelling gloriously. At the same moment everybody started to cheer and clap their hands. Ronald looked at them with wide eyes, unsure how to react. The man on the stage was an absolute showman and he knew it. “Yeah, that’s right! Lights!” he yelled again and the lights started to move around and about. Once the crowd calmed down again the lights focused on the small platform in front of the man. It was empty before but now there was a silver colored case standing on it.

“Okay, so here it is. My card indicates that this case contains a quark sphere that will imprint the user’s DNA on itself and enhance their powers. It doesn’t specify how it does that though. Whatevs. Let’s start the bidding on the power enhancer, shall we?” he concluded and was about to signal the beginning of the bidding. But for some reason he couldn’t move his hand. It looked like his hand was paralyzed. Chattering noises started to arise from the crowd as they couldn’t figure out what was going on. “Is this part of the show?” asked Ronald to May but before she could reply they would get an answer. “I don’t think that will be necessary Roger.” said a robotic voice from afar. Suddenly the crowd would be split in half. To everybody it would feel like they were being pushed to either side by a giant invisible fist. After opening a path in the middle, the source of the voice walked towards the stage. He was a slim man though not much could be seen about his appearance, as a LED visor mask covered his entire face and his jacket’s hood covered his head. Though his arms had lots of tattoos on them. He jumped on the platform and quickly opened the case, revealing the pentakis dodecahedron inside that displayed varying shades of blue, purple and red. The colors were constantly shifting. “Interesting.”
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

When the lights flashed on the stage and the funky music blared out, May knew the auction would begin. Sure enough, the auctioneer soon showed up at the stage and welcomed everyone. She joined in the round of applause and let out a loud whistle, acting the part of an excited listener. As the auctioneer began his rather dramatic introduction, a lone moth fluttered through the mass of bodies and hovered in front of her face. Its wings were muddy brown and lined with zigzagging white lines as though dipped in flour. She watched as it flickered out of vew and reappeared with an oversized cartoonish face. It darted its tongue, mocking her and winked. May poked its abdomen. At her touch, the moth shattered into digital specks of light that vanished from view.

Hello, to you too, she thought, grinning.

Kieran was watching her. She felt considerably better knowing he had her back.

“Anyway. Just because of that, this time we decided to ditch the tradition. Ladies and gents, for once we will be starting off with the big-ticket item!”

At the mention of the most prized item, May focused her attention on the platform. A silver case had appeared where moments ago, the platform had been empty. Her pulse picked up speed in anticipation. This was it. She was about to witness the power enhancer in its fine glory. But just as the auctioneer signalled the beginning of the bidding session, his hand froze in mid-air. A robotic voice broke the confused chatter and a moment later, the crowd split in half.

"What is going on?" the mohawk woman asked loudly.

A masked man in a punk studded jacket with the sleeves rolled to his elbows walked in the path where the crowd had parted. Several tattoos inked his arms. He stepped on the stage and opened the case to reveal a pentakis dodecahedron that glowed with changing colors.

The crowd gasped.

This wasn't right. The man couldn't be part of the show. He had probably come to steal the power enhancer which meant she had to stop him. But before she made a move, the mohawk woman pointed her finger at the masked man in a gun motion. A bullet flame hissed through the air, aiming for the man's chest.
    Last edited by Risa; 08-12-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Cade had his visor analyze the power enhancer thoroughly but he also knew that people there wouldn’t just sit and allow him to get what he wanted. The world was full of nuisances after all. As an extension of his danger sensing, the back of his head tingled, urging Cade to direct his attention to the people. A woman with quite a unique mohawk haircut had pointed her index and middle fingers at him, imitating a gun. She shot a small condensed bolt of fire at his chest. Raising his right hand, the man simply made a swiping motion with his hand and dissipated it into thin air. “An opening.” whispered Ronald under his breath and took action. He ran towards the unknown man, though not at full speed. Not only were there other people in his close vicinity, but also the amount of place he could run at was limited. He flashed right next to him, landed a punch at his stomach and continued to run. Then he struck him from a different angle, striking his back. He continued to attack Cade from different angles and slowly increased his speed. Meanwhile, the masked man was experiencing a sensory overload. His danger sensing was alerting him of the incoming attacks, but he was still unable to react. The only solution he could find for the speedster problem was to create a telekinetic shield around his body. As a result the next time Ronald made his approach and launched his fist, it felt like he had punched a concrete wall. For a second Ronald staggered and using this opportunity, Cade released the spikes from his jacket. Using his magnetic powers, he had them enter Ronald’s body from different points, like bullets.

“ARGH!” cried the speedster, in tormenting pain. He was unable to move his arms, legs and even his chest. Cade had missed his vital organs on purpose, but by controlling the metal pieces in his body, he had made him a human puppet. “Cool powers dude.” he commented, ignoring the painful noises Ronald made. He quickly created a telekinetic barrier around him with his left hand to avoid another possible interference from other people. Meanwhile the case had fallen to the ground and closed, with the power enhancer still contained in it. Bringing the speedster closer to himself he placed his right hand on his left shoulder and started to move it around his body, as if he was examining him. “Why… are you doing this?” asked Ronald, barely able to speak. “Why? It’s my instinct.” replied Cade. “What?” Ronald uttered this word in disbelief, as if Cade’s reasoning was completely obsolete. This made Cade stop examining him. He stepped forward and got even closer to him, his face only centimeters away from Ronald’s. Ronald couldn’t see his face, as his visor blocked it from view. But he could still feel Cade staring right into his eyes.

“You know, years ago I had been doing a lot of reading about evolution, natural selection, the way it works… It said that the strongest animals will always survive, and they’re the ones that will prosper by feeding on the smaller animals. And as humans we see that there’s this thing called an apex predator, and basically that is the most powerful predator in an ecosystem. And as humans we’re the apex predator, because there’s nothing that preys on us, ‘cause of weapons and stuff. But if something could, I bet it would.” Seemingly looking away, the man stepped back and moved back to crouch down. He started examining the auctioneer’s body this time. The man that was full of life just minutes ago now lied on the ground, dead. “I mean, what I’m trying to say is… a lion doesn’t feel guilty when it kills a gazelle. You don’t feel guilty when you squash a fly, you know. I think that means something. I think that really means something.” The speedster looked at Cade as he faced his direction shortly. “So all of this… is because you think you are stronger?” Cade placed his head on the auctioneer’s head and felt the chills. This happened whenever he obtained a new power. Afterwards he stood up and turned back to slowly walk towards Ronald. “Hahahahaha… of course not. It’s not because I think I’m stronger. It’s because I know I’m stronger. Since I’m the apex predator there is no reason for me to feel bad about crushing weaker beings.” He quickly placed his free hand on Ronald’s forehead.

“You think he was an innocent businessman? Oh hoh ho, no. He had the power of technopathy. He ran the whole presentation by himself.” Looking back down at Roger, Cade continued. “And now it’s mine as well. Just like your SPEED!” he exclaimed and at that moment both Ronald and Cade felt a surge of electricity in their bodies. Cade looked down at his free hand and the expression on his visor changed, as if he was disappointed. Afterwards he pushed Ronald away with a great force. After the speedster hit the walls, Cade had his spikes emerge from his body and return to his jacket.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

The auction had become chaotic.

When the mohawk lady attacked, so did Ronald. He’d intended to use the attack as a distraction to make a move. As he hit the masked man from different directions, May’s eyes focused on the case, ignoring the chatter. She could see three men getting closer to the stairs leading to the stage, their faces directed at the platform. It was obvious they had the same thoughts as she had. They wanted to steal the power enhancer while everyone else was preoccupied.

No way, I’m letting you any closer.

Splaying her fingers, may shot organic strings from the tips of her fingertips. They slipped through the bystanders, homing in on the targets. She pulled them taut as they wrapped around the men’s arms, throwing them back and into the bystanders. There were curses and yells as people jostled to dodge or shove the men away.

At the same time, a cry of pain could be heard from the stage. She looked up to see Ronald frozen in place while the masked man examined him, his back turned away from the case that had fallen on the floor. Ronald appeared to be unmoving as though the assailant was intentionally restricting his movements. Flicking her gaze to the case, May knew now was the chance to take the power enhancer. It was her top priority. She could ask Kieran to help Ronald.

“How dare you ignore me! Both of you can go to hell for all I care!” yelled the mohawk woman. She raised her hands in the air and created a ball of fire that hissed and spat sparks of flames before flinging it in the direction of the masked man and Ronald. As it neared the stage, the ball of fire hit against an invisible wall and sputtered out. She let out a frustrated growl and released a volley after volley of fire balls but the wall held still.

A telekinetic barrier? Interesting, thought May, and what a dumb woman.

Taking a deep breath, May took off in a run towards the stage, using a dash of inhuman speed and slipping through the crowd within seconds. She lifted her hand and solidified it with a coating of a greyish-black substance that looked like solidified tar. The substance was stronger than carbyne and as durable as vibranium. The researchers at Benny’s House had called it turbulent, indestructible and sentient. It didn’t have a mind of its own though, no. She just liked to toy with them. It had been a gift from being the sole survivor to the pigo virus that had kill all the other test subjects but merged with her DNA, mutating her powers to augment them and granting her the ability to create and manipulate synthetic constructs.

As she reached the barrier, May closed her fist and smashed through it, landing right next to the case. She bent down to pick it up. Suddenly, the case rose in the air and smacked her right in the face. She swayed back, momentarily stunned. Shaking her head to steady her vision, she watched as a hooded figure concealed from head to toe by a white suit materializing before her, the case in their hands…

Cassie Devareaux hadn’t meant to reveal herself.

Really, she hadn’t. It had been excruciating watching Ronald and Wes fight at Times Square without interfering but she’d kept calm, remained silent and stayed in the shadows. She could almost give herself a congratulatory pat for putting through with the interaction between Ronald and the new girl. What was her name again? Ah, May Blackwood. On the rooftops, he’d seemed impressed by her abilities. Cassie had felt a flame of envy burn through her chest. She knew it was naïve of her to feel that way because they were practically strangers but she couldn’t help it. If only Ronald hadn’t told her to stay away and live a normal life, she wouldn’t have to follow him in secret. Why did he have to be so stubborn?

Ha, normal life. As if that’s what she wanted.

When she’d followed them to the auction, she hadn’t expected all hell to break loose. She certainly hadn’t expected Ronald to be incapacitated by the masked man. There was something off about him. He was using some sort of an ability to prevent Ronald from retaliating an attack but she couldn't tell what it was from her position. As Ronald cried out in pain, Cassie stilled her breath in fear and fury. She clamped her fists, using sheer willpower to prevent herself from attacking. She cast a glimpse at the white-haired girl, pinning her hopes on her. May would save him. But as May headed for the silver case, leaving Ronald to the mercy of the masked man, Cassie snapped.

She flew straight to the masked man, throwing him off with the force of her speed, her fingers clamped around his throat as they smashed through the back of the makeshift stage before she slammed him into an upturned tram car several feet away.

“You’re going to pay for what you did to him,” she said, coming to a stop and lifting her hand to release a photonic blast from the palm of her hands, aiming it at the masked man’s head.

Before Cade could do anything else a dark blue blur sped towards him and took him off the ground. He was unable to react because of two reasons: first, he was not expecting someone else to attack him and second, she was quite fast in a manner of her own. As they literally went through the stage, Cade felt the girl’s grip on his neck. And that was all he needed to get something from her. Afterwards he was thrown away quite hard and attacked with a photonic blast aimed at his head. He felt like he was about to lose consciousness but luckily enough he got over it quickly. “Never start with the head. The victim gets all fuzzy.” he said after wheezing, implying that he had felt the pain. The pixels on his visor looked damaged as the emotes that were supposed to represent his left eye flickered. But soon he fixed that with his newly acquired technopathy. Using his newfound speed he got up in an instant. “Pay for what I did? To Roger?” he said, in a questioning manner before running off and reappearing somewhere else away from the girl. “No. You mean Speedy.” he continued, knowing this would annoy her beyond limits. Though this would be the last of his taunting; he needed to get back to the case and get out of this shitty place as soon as possible. He liked running because it made him felt alive, and he guessed that was how Ronald felt every time he used his powers. Yet, unlike him he could not run at similar speeds or maintain low speeds for a long time. That’s why he felt disappointed when he copied the speedster’s powers: he had figured out how to replicate his speed, but failed to learn how he could keep up with the energy intake or friction. Momentarily looking down at his feet, which felt hot due to his shoes being warmer, he decided to use the latest addition to his abilities. “Don’t worry babe. I still need him for further… let’s say… questioning.” His feet departed the ground and he hovered. Then he flew back to where the platform was, only to see the case gone. There was a white haired girl standing there, quite close to where the case had been dropped. But she wasn’t in its possession either. Out of anger, Cade released intensive jolts of electricity at her before flying away. He had failed to get his hands on the power enhancer but somehow obtained useful powers as well. It wasn’t a total loss for him.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast