Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Kuoh Town

Takumi apparently had the appearance of a delinquent. He supposed this made some amount of sense, considering how he'd been the last time he wore such clothes. He shrugged this off; what he wore now was much more comfortable than the clothes he'd worn since these were last upon him. Of all the things Maiko could have said in response to his decoration statement, she chose to joke about a house plant. Takumi's expression went from bothered to blank in the wake of this clause, and he stared at Maiko before his response escaped him. "Well, sure. I think I'd kill the plant, though. I couldn't deal with something like that."

Maiko looked at Takumi from the corner of her eye, and watched as his face went from bothered to blank. Her brows might have drawn together if she hadn't been busy drinking from a bottle. The girl nearly choked on juice when the lad finally managed to give a reply to the statement she'd made about him potentially getting a house plant. After she was done coughing, she tapped her hand in the middle of her chest and sighed. "Ha! I didn't expect that... good on ya'," she chimed as she finished off the bag of chips and took a single cookie from the bag. After a moment or two, she had a little more to say. "They come in fake though, you could get one and put over there..." she said pointing to an empty corner of the room which could have used something in it.

Takumi resorted to repeated blinking as Maiko laughed. He was quite serious at the time, but could see how this would have made a reasonable joke. As for the fake plants she suggested, Takumi looked toward the empty corner of his living room. Nothing was there, and nothing had ever been there. However, things such as plants were the last thing on his mind. "I... wouldn't even know what sort of plant to look for. It doesn't really bother me; I don't spend much time outside my room when I'm here," he proclaimed. In past times, he didn't even spend much time at home. Only recently had he been home so much at all, and only because of his timidness. Now that their chat had progressed, Takumi wondered something very specific. "So, you brought all that stuff here? Did you not plan on leaving?" he asked, taking a moment then to finally bite into the cookie he'd taken.

Though Maiko totally understood why the lad wouldn't have much humor in him this day, his words didn't let her believe he knew she'd only been speaking to lighten the mood. Still if he didn't spend much time in his sitting room, she could understand why it wasn't really decorated, though given how timid the lad seemed to be she could hardly see him hanging out with a bunch of people or only spending his sleeping hours in his place of residence. "I can tell..." she said about the lad not spending much of any time in this space, and choosing to leave it at that. Beyond this point he was content to question her specifically about the nature of her visit, when she was asked she looked at him straight on for the first time in a while. He looked a bit different than she remembered, it was like the timidness had disappeared from him completely now that she thought about it. But she wouldn't comment on that instead she simply finished the cookie she'd been eating and shrugged. "To be honest, I intended to leave once you passed out for the night. I like snacks though so I figured I'd share them, and stick around if you wanted to talk or anything," she mentioned this was probably a bit weird with them not knowing fully each other's history so she thought to clarify. "I just know, it can be shitty to go back to a place alone, even if you want to be alone, after something like this. So, even if its only for a bit, an extra presence is cool... sometimes."

"Sou ka," was Takumi's response to her knowing why this room was in such a state. He didn't have much else to say about it, so he committed to finishing the only cookie he intended to have. As he did so, Maiko explained the plan she had since accompanying him to this place. She chose nothing beyond sharing the snacks she already had, and being present for the sake of chatting. She also stressed knowing the situation he was in, how bad it was, and how camaraderie took the edge off sometimes. In that moment, Takumi was certain that Maiko didn't actually have a clue what had him so bothered. "It's... not so bad, you know?" he said after a moment of hesitation. Before he continued, he pulled his right knee into his chest, and crossed his left leg against himself behind his right foot. In this position, he was able to rest his chin on the elevated knee while gazing at the carpet beneath him. "I've been basically alone this whole time. I don't have any real friends, and it hasn't seemed like my parents really wanted anything to do with me for the past few years. It's almost like they were dead already, so... I'm actually pretty numb to that. My problem now is that I keep not knowing the right thing to do. I spent all this time being someone different, just because my mom didn't want me to keep getting in trouble... then she died as I was on my way to tell her I was going to become my own person again. Then, after all that was over, I..." He paused, thinking the better of mentioning something which could create some sort of in-Peerage issues. "I just... need to figure out what I'm really doing with this new life. I know what I've decided to do as a Pawn, but... I don't know what to do with myself yet." After venting for what felt like ages, Takumi finally fell silent again. This didn't last long though, as his eyes soon cut toward Maiko with one final question. "If I asked you to stay, would you?"

Strangely Maiko found herself listening to Takumi talk. She hadn't figured he would have much if anything to say about his situation, so the rather sudden outpouring of information widened her eyes quite a bit. According to this lad, he'd been alone for years. Practically abandoned by his parents, not having any 'real' friends, he'd been on his way to confess his resolve to his mother after pretending to be something he wasn't to have her die before he could. This was quite a different tale from the type she was used to, and though she saw some similarities between them, she also saw some differences. He vented to her, about how he'd managed to pull through all of that only to not know what he wanted to do with himself after all of it was over. 'Sou ka...' thought Maiko. She was amazed that Takumi had been holding so much in, and she was more than willing to hear out everything he had to say.

More shocking than even all of his confessions she supposed was him asking her if she'd stay if he wanted her to. She gave this a bit of thought and quietly finished chewing before she opened her mouth to respond. "I'd stay if you wanted me to, but..." she paused looking at the lad. "You gotta stop saying you don't have friends, we're friends." Maiko had this sort of outlook on everything, and though she couldn't claim to have the exact same problems Takumi did, she could understand not knowing what to do with yourself when you lost something that was part of you.

Yes was the answer to his query. However, in responding to him, Maiko had a condition. She thought it pertinent to note their friendship, which Takumi thought to question. He wasn't entirely sure what made them, or any of the others, friends. They were all servants of one Eira Gremory, connected only by their servitude. "Is that what we are?" he asked, his eyes lowering again. All this segment of their discussion managed to do was bring Takumi back to the moment he decided he needed to leave Eira's room. "How are we friends? What makes us different from co-workers, or... something like that?"

Maiko's statement that he should acknowledge their friendship was met by a strange bit of resistance. Of all the things she expected from the lad, the state of his question implied that the thought of everyone else as co-workers because they all belonged to Eira. She stared at him blankly for a few seconds because she couldn't believe that this was what he'd been thinking about them the entire time. "Co-workers are only related by their jobs right? You figure we're like that because we all 'work' for Eira-sama," she summarized by virtue of what the lad himself had said. "We are all with her because we want to be, and we enjoy hanging out with each other. Sharing our weird hobbies, helping each other with stuff..." she said looking at the lad wondering how he didn't get friendship. "Co-workers will cover for you to get themselves in good with the boss, or for extra pay, or some other selfish shit. Friends like Kagimi, cover for me with my mom so I can hang out more, even though he hates doing it. So I can choose to be here for you, even though whether or not you're okay here..." she said pointing at the lad's heart. "Has no effect on whether or not I can do 'my job'," she said. "We're friends because we find other things to have in common besides the person who connects us," she finished. She found it amazing that he felt this way, but figured it might have been because he didn't make the active choice to join Eira that he saw it as some sort of job. "Our bonds are deeper than simple shared hours. Even ours." she said motioning between the pair of them.

Maiko went on something of a tirade about friendship after the boy's question was offered. In said tirade, she pointed out the differences between friends and simple comrades. She even came forth with specific examples that covered scenarios shared between members of Eira's peerage, and most importantly, the fact that she was here now. His eyes shifted toward her again as she pointed at the area of his chest that would contain his heart, and he came to realize that Maiko had actually gone out of her way to help him make it home, and then some. He'd only bumped into her in the hall earlier, while she was obviously settling in to enjoy her snacks and beverage in the comfort of the place she was staying at the time. It would have been no difficult task for her to go right back to doing that after getting herself back together.

Averting his gaze, Takumi smiled. It was small, and a little weak, but it was there beneath eyes that gazed at nothing at all. "Sou ka. That's what this is. Sankusu," he said at last.

Maiko finished her tirade and watched as the young man processed what she'd said. She'd seen a bit of understanding start to surface when she'd pointed to his heart, and he seemed to understand that friendship as defined by her had everything to do with what you did for other people because you could not because you had to. And as long as he understood that, she was fine to count him among her friends. Beyond that, after a few moments of silence he even verbalized his understanding of this moment and thanked her. "Hell yeah! Now, I'm gonna keep eating snacks and you could have a couple more too," she said with a smirk. "Or ya' know you could talk more or whatever, doesn't really matter. I'm here for ya'."

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast