Thread: Secondary Thread

Secondary Thread

In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in which a small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state. In a similar fashion there are moments that can cause the timeline to skew off into an alternate tangent. This is one of them.

(Alternate continuation from the Main Thread, post #28)
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

As Cade walked towards Ronald to finish him off with style, he was suddenly hit by a tornado of light. The attack possessed immense force behind it and easily sent him flying in the opposite direction while also making him involuntarily let go of the case. He regained his balance pretty quickly in the air but was soon met with the source of the attack. “Stay away from him!” exclaimed the blonde girl as he flew towards Cade like a speeding bullet and grabbed him by the throat. She proceeded to fly farther away from where Ronald was, and while doing so she failed to realize how careless she had been. “Thank you.” said Cade shortly before gasping for air. “I had been… looking for this.” All of a sudden Cade broke free of the girl’s hold and flipped in the air freely. But this wasn’t an athletic type of movement. He was hovering in the air without falling. Under his mask he smiled and his visor changed its emote into a happy one for a short while, after which the masked menace pushed the girl away with his telekinesis made his way back to where he had dropped the case. Though once he was there, he discovered that somebody else had taken the case. The person in a white colored suit, concealing not only the face but the whole body. Thinking this was a good time to make use of his newly attained speed, Cade readied himself to dash. But before he could do so the person in the suit vanished from sight. “Shit.” thought Cade. He couldn’t think on the spot of a way to track an invisible person, other than flying up high and watching the streets for irregularities. As he continued to think, the back of his head had its tingling sense again.

“Not done with you yet!” Knowing there was incoming danger, the man crouched down quickly and managed to dodge the girl’s attack again. This time she was unleashing her photon blasts in a more condensed way, from her eyes. As a response, Cade unleashed a storm of electricity at the girl. At first it looked like he had managed to get through her, but then the girl simply raised her left hand and absorbed all the electricity. She used her right hand to release it back at Cade, doubling the intensity of the attack with her own energy. This time the man couldn’t dodge and as a result got hit. He grunted as he was pushed back by the force of the energy. Feeling like a huge wreck after all he had said about being the apex predator, Cade decided it was time to hit the brakes and flew away after getting up. Instead of following him again, the girl rushed back to Ronald, who was trying to stand up. As she approached him, the speedster set his gaze upon her. It didn’t take him much time to realize that this blonde girl in a dark blue suit and a red cape was Cassie. “What are you doing here?!” he asked in surprise. “Well a simple ‘thank you’ would’ve sufficed.” said Cassie as she helped him get up. Despite having saved his life, all she was about to get in return was disapproval. “No no no. Cas how many times have I told you not to follow me?” said Ronald, looking mildly annoyed.

“Uhm… a lot?” replied Cassie with an awkward smile. It didn’t look like she was taking it very seriously. “That’s right. And every time you do it, you are putting yourself in danger. I told you. I want you to have a normal life.” continued Ronald but this time he would get the same kind of annoyed attitude he was displaying several seconds ago. “What if I don’t want a normal life? Ever thought about that Ronnie?” said the girl, looking more serious now. “All I want is just to be by your side. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.” She sighed and took a step towards the speedster. But her attempt to get more intimate was ignored. “We need to find that case before it gets far away. I’ll scan the nearby streets.” Cassie huffed in disappointment. She knew that Ronald was aware of she felt, and she believed that he harbored similar feelings himself. Yet, whenever she tried to make a move he would somehow avoid the discussion. As Ronald changed his posture to start running, he felt the lack of energy within him. And when he did attempt to run, he just fell on the ground. Cassie rushed again to help him up. “You should rest a bit before trying to-” she said but her sentence was cut off before she could finish. “It’s gone…” whispered Ronald, standing still due to the gravity of the situation. “My speed is gone.”
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

“What?” asked Cassie in suspense. Ronald had had his speed ever since they were kids. How could he lose it all of a sudden? Was it because of something the masked man had done? “The Moment… I can’t feel her either. It feels so blank… so empty… What is this void?!” yelled Ronald while clenching his fists on his chest. It felt like some organ was missing in his body. The Moment’s absence was in many ways more than just losing his speed. He started to breathe at an abnormally rapid rate, increasing the rate of loss of carbon dioxide in his system. His head started to feel lighter but before he could fall down Cassie caught him. “Okay calm down Ronnie. Calm down. It’ll be alright.” she reassured. Putting his arm around her while grabbing his waist, the girl slowly took off. First she flew outside of the underground structure. As she rose higher in the air, her velocity increased consistently. “Where are we going?” yelled Ronald, for the first time in his life unable to hear his own voice due to the wind. Now that there was nobody to neutralize the side effects of going fast, he felt much more vulnerable. Cassie turned her head to momentarily look at the speedster, and smiled when she noticed he seemed to be adjusting himself to the reality of the situation. “I haven’t been stalking you all the time, you see.” she said with a playful tone before continuing. “I made some friends too.” The girl’s mention of friends reminded Ronald of May but he soon decided to ditch the idea: when the masked man had appeared she had done nothing to help him. Plus it was highly likely that she had her own agenda to pursue. He didn’t want someone like that around him. Five minutes had already passed when Cassie began to descend slowly. She eventually hovered in front of one of the window of a back alley building and knocked on it four times. It was on the fifth floor of a six-floor building and from outside it looked like the interior would be pretty squishy. Though Ronald understood that wasn’t the case when the window opened on its own and revealed what was inside. The apartment was huge, probably bigger then the building’s own dimensions. As the speedster theorized how could this be possible, Cassie entered and let him go. While Ronald was busy scanning the nice furniture giving the whole loft vibe, a ginger woman approached them. Cassie pinched Ronald in the arm to get his attention.

“This is Erin. Or Tonks. Whatever you want to call her. Aaaaand… where is Anna?” The woman tilted her head as a greeting before turning to Cassie. “She is taking a shower, I think.” Afterwards she walked towards Ronald and held her hand out for a handshake, which the young man accepted. “Nice to finally meet you.” She said with a smile. “Finally?” asked Ronald as he retracted his involuntarily. “Yeah. Cassie talks about you all the time.” replied Tonks and received a glare from the blonde woman, her eyes shortly glowing bright yellow. As this was enough of a signal for her to shut up, she led them to the living room. Tonks was the first to sit, so Ronald sat across her and Cassie sat next to him. Meanwhile, Ronald hadn’t stopped looking around the room for even a second. “Excuse me but how can you fit all of these here?” Normally he would consider this a very rude question but the speedster believed it was the key of understanding Tonks’ abilities. The apartment turned out to be much larger than it should have been. “Erin is a master of the mystic arts Ronnie. She is gifted with magic.” Upon Cassie’s explanation, Tonks waved her hands to her sides and launched them forward in Ronald’s direction. And all of a sudden, Ronald was sent through the Multiverse, flying between various realities. “AAAAAAAAAHHHH!” exclaimed the young man in terror before being dragged back to an image of Tonks laughing hysterically. Then he was flung across all the different realities again, challenging him to open his eyes to these possibilities while he had visions of his demise. Not much later he was brought back to reality for the last time, where Tonks was still laughing and Cassie was scolding her. “He had enough to go through today! Don’t play around!” exclaimed Cassie in a very serious manner while holding Ronald. “Whhhhhyyyy?” asked Tonks sarcastically, seeming not to care since she was having her share of fun. “Because we encountered the Wrench.” said Cassie, now appearing angry as well. Hearing what she said made Tonks’ smile fade away. At first she hoped her friend was trying to prank her to get back for what she did. But her facial expression suggested otherwise.
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…

“He killed Roger. And then targeted Ronnie.” said Cassie, silently. Unbeknownst to Ronald, Roger was secretly a vigilante who organized seemingly illegal auctions and used the buyers as leads to other supers who used their powers in the name of evil. He went by a codename behind the screens. “The Fox is dead?!” replied Tonks, trying to take the news in. For years he had been a massive support to her and other people with powers. It was thanks to him that he had met Anna. But now that he was gone someone needed to step u and take over his network. As the sorceress wondered how that would play out, Ronald interrupted. “During my encounter with him… The… the Wrench… he did something to me besides copying my powers. And now I can’t use my speed.” he took a deep breath before carrying on. “Thing is, my powers aren’t like what others have. They originate from my connection to the Moment, an energy field that is the embodiment of all speed in the universe.” Just as he finished, a girl entered the room. Her waist and everything below was covered with a towel while her chest was exposed. She walked towards the center of the room while trying to dry her hair with another towel, which was when she noticed the stranger sitting on the couch. She opened her eyes widely, shocked just like everybody else in the room. Ronald immediately looked elsewhere, Cassie decided that it wasn’t enough and leaned over him to cover his eyes with her hands, Anna let out a scream and covered her upper body with her second towel before rushing back to her room, and Tonks was just laughing. “That was Anna, I presume?” remarked the young man once the commotion settled. Once Cassie lowered her hands he could see the sorceress nodding. Several minutes passed before everybody could gather their attention once again. “I suspect that Ronald’s connection was severed. Not only can he not use his powers, he can’t sense the Moment either.” said Cassie, breaking the silence.

This made Tonks think thoroughly. And like every single time she tried to focus on a solution, she began to pace up and down. From what the blonde girl said, she could not figure out whether she had meant the Moment as the energy field or as the avatar it represented itself as. Perhaps it was both. Though these details were trivial next to one fact: for Ronald to regain his powers, they would need to reconnect him. That much was clear to her, yet she couldn’t come up with anything to fix it. As the sorceress moved around the room she staggered and lost her balance. She held on to a nearby bookshelf while cursing her clumsiness, and noticed a book right where her hand was. The title read “Transportation into Mystical Realms without Aid”. This gave Tonks an idea. “Hm. I don’t know if I can do anything about reestablishing a severed connection. But I can help you investigate.” she said slowly. “And how are you gonna do that?” replied the speedster sarcastically. Given the woman’s behavior so far, he couldn’t really bring himself to believe that she was capable of an effective means of dealing with the problem at hand. “She will send you inside the energy field that is the Moment.” said a familiar voice from the other side of the room. It was Anna, this time fully clothed. She was wearing a baseball tee and sports pants. “Lucky guess?” she followed up immediately. “Yeah.” Jumping back to where she was sitting Tonks carried on while flipping the pages of the book. “I need to study something that has been exposed to its energy though. To pinpoint where the dimension is.” After a quick though, Ronald decided to give Tonks his jacket. He always wore it while running and he wouldn’t feel embarrassed when he took it off, unlike other items of his clothing, so it was the perfect choice. After handing it over he stood up and started to wait. Both Tonks and Anna glanced at him, as if questioning what he was doing. “Uh… sorry. This might take a while.” said Tonks, feeling a bit nervous about what kind of reaction she was about to get. “How long exactly?” asked the young man, calmly.“Several days tops.”
    この状況でお前はどうすることもできないよ。

お前の死は確実だ。お前の野望は大きすぎた…