Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Base of Operations: Silver Eagles

It seemed her brother's tale had come to an end and surprisingly, Sibylla had managed to take in all necessary information without becoming overbearing. One would think this particularly pointed in the case of the apparent random disappearance of the young Asher. She'd taken all necessary information in stride and had no doubt she could now formulate proper rounds and regimes for her newest members to help them further their goals. That being said, there was one more piece of information she needed according to Dior. His words stated that the spirit picked up by Junon was likely one of the most substantial things taken from a dungeon in quite a long time. This was to be expected as spirit mages were rare in and of themselves but beyond this the news that the staff which Asher now possessed a staff which seemed to be connected to the dungeon he'd taken it from gave the girl a bit of pause. "A staff connected to the magic which created that dungeon... like Archer?" the words left her mouth and she seemed stunned. There was a single individual who had that kind of ability, but it was also directly related to all of his capabilities. Perhaps, there would be time to pay him a visit and get some extra information. But that would be a lot to bring to a member of another Squad even if they were about the same age. "Sou ka, arigatou Dior. You can enjoy the rest of this, and make sure you get some rest too... even if you don't feel like it. You need to rest too, at least before tomorrow when you three will likely be called before the Magic Emperor," she said, and then Sibylla stood, excusing herself to walk away with extreme purpose.

There was someone else she needed to see, and now that she knew the whereabouts of all of her siblings she could go without any weight on her heart. As such when she left Dior's presence she took several long and twisting hallways before she began to ascend up a winding staircase which would seem to some as if it was endless. At the top of this staircase was a single wooden door, which was locked from the outside. A gentle turn of the locking mechanism would allow this door to swing open. And when it did, Sibylla would enter it. The room itself was average for what one could expect of this dwelling nothing in it seemed like it was outlandish. The only exception to this, was against the farthest wall in the form of a giant ornate mirror. She slowly drew closer to this mirror each step would bring her closer and closer until her steely silver eyes would meet whatever she expected to find there.

"Not quite like Archer. I've worked with him, and his tool gives him access to the treasure room of the dungeon he got it from. I watched this one control the dungeon itself in a way, whether Asher realized it or not. It didn't just open the treasury door... It made the door disappear." Dior offered this explanation to the best of his ability, but nothing could properly capture all the things he'd seen with his own eyes in this most recent dungeon. The two young Magic Knights were incredible, and what they'd gained from the dungeon had potential that could not be properly quantified by one such as Dior. Whatever the case, the job was done for now, and he was left to finish his tea as Sibylla went about her own business. He would indeed rest to prepare for summons from the Magic Emperor, figuring he'd need to do more explaining of what happened when said Emperor got word of the mission completion.

A short while later, Sibylla entered a room typically vacant of people. Now that there was a stirring in said room after so long, that ornate mirror on the rear wall gleamed briefly. Her approach would show what was strange about this mirror. What lied beyond the threshold of reflective glass was what one could expect: an inverted copy of the area in front of it. What was strange about this mirror was Sibylla's reflection. Rather, her reflection was nonexistent as she approached. There was instead a male figure approaching from beyond the mirror. He was taller than Sibylla, yet similar-looking. He had long and luxurious silver hair with bangs parted to either side of his face, and his eyes were green and cat-like. Silver pauldrons sat atop a black coat which was open to reveal the male's muscular chest, with leather suspenders crossing over it. As Sibylla encroached upon the mirror, this figure's eyes met hers. He smiled in a way that could almost be seen as menacing. "It's good to see you again... Sibyl."

If Sibylla noted the difference between Asher's and Acher's abilities she wouldn't be saying so now. There was a lot to consider as it was, especially as she approached the mirror in the room. Within this mirror she found not a reflection of herself but one of an entirely different and obviously male individual. The smile this man presented would be seen by most as menacing, but Sibylla herself didn't seem swayed by it. At the greeting she was offered she gently scoffed. The use of a pet form of her name was common only to this man standing before her in this mirror. She only heard it in moments like these, and many others in the past. "Is it? It doesn't appear that way to me... you should practice your greeting face. This one looks too mean," she said sounding strangely deferential considering her own rank. "Nii-sama..." she started to speak before getting distracted. "Or would you prefer to be called, Dancho?" she asked quizzically. "I wouldn't want to offend..." she said. This man had been legendary in his time, and beyond that well respected and powerful. Whatever circumstances led to this strained relationship could hardly tarnish that for most people. In Sibylla's case though, this man's attitude had led her on a journey of almost two decades to reach a certain point, which she'd reached only very recently. She was relieved, and excited, but she could not properly enjoy this happiness until she spoke to this man. "Do you... know why I am here?"

"Of course it is. Every now and again, I have the privilege of seeing the woman you've grown up to be. Maybe one day, you'll take the time to sit and take a meal with this relic," he said. Sibylla may have claimed his 'greeting face' was too mean, but this was simply how he'd always been. Even during his time as a Captain of the Magic Knights, the only thing saving his appearance was his ability, and his merit. "Dancho..." was repeated while his past life crossed his mind, thanks to Sibylla's query. "Gone are those days. As it seems from my very limited perspective, the days of supreme glory for the Silver Eagles are long gone as well. It's a pity. You could be so much greater, but your ideals are your own shackles."

Few movements were made by this man as he conversed with Sibylla, but few needed to be made. After all, there was hardly anything he could do from inside a mirror, unless something was added to the outside for the sake of reflecting it in his version of the world. It was by that very method that he took his meals, often at the hands of whatever squad member happened to be tasked with that job. Aside from these facts, Sibylla questioned the man's knowledge of her current visit. Did he know why she was here? In a way, of course. The changes in her countenance were unmistakable, and to him, achievable only by a certain method after so many years. Knowing this, his brow furrowed. "Leave him where he is, Sibylla. Stop this childish rebellion, and let things be as they should be."

Sibylla looked at the man in the mirror and gave an honest frown. The idea of sharing a meal with him was a bit more than her psyche would be able to withstand. "Iie, I can't eat with you in the room... I suppose eventually I could be the one to bring you food though..." she said it was an old habit of hers, but one that she hadn't been able to get over unlike some of the others. Her brother's gaze had always seemed angry and at some point in the past it'd given her anxiety. Because of this, she found herself unable to take meals while he was present at the table, and this was a thing that had gone on for a long time when she was younger. In fact, there had once been a time where she would have avoided him as much as humanly possible, never really speaking or looking in his direction, even when she was a member of this squad under him. But this was a point for another time, it seemed as if her brother was content to not be called by a more official title, stating that he was beyond those days. Worse yet, he went on to speak of his idea glory for the Silver Eagles which made her scoff. "Authoritarian rule was you, Nii-sama. I have my own pace... but I wouldn't say supreme glory is out of reach... well in the way you like to think of it anyways..." she mused. She didn't hold the same interests nor competitive spirit as many, but ever so often she felt the need to try as hard as those around her, and if their first mission said anything, Sibylla might be on the verge of coming out of her shell once more. Finding a motivation like the one which had driven her search for nearly two decades.

As their conversation progressed it seemed her elder brother was against her finding someone. A smirk came to her face as he mentioned that she was being childish and that she should give it up and leave the boy where he was. "I am not being childish... and I am pretty sure anything that counted as a rebellion ended when you were put into this mirror," she said calmly. "You've still never given an actual reason for doing anything you've done. Just like your mean face... it's simply something that is," she concluded. Ever so often she tried to get information out of her elder brother about her younger brother. She obviously still respected him, and didn't hate him enough to end his exstience regardless of the fact that he'd ended up in a mirror. Sibylla began to clarify the information for her brother lest he become confused. "I didn't find him by the way, I didn't go fetch him from whatever corner of hell you left him in," she mentioned not knowing if this would settle the man within the mirror at all. "In fact, I was only doing my duty as Captain and attending the Magic Knight's Entrance Exam..." she relayed this information. "So imagine my surprise when I saw him there... taking the exam, acing the exam. Every single Captain, vying for his attention..." she said. This was the culmination of all of Sibylla's feelings pouring out from the depths of her soul. She found herself studying her brother's face in this moment, wondering if there was anything there that would hint at his logic his reasoning. There was distinct pride in this woman, thinking about her younger brother, coming basically from nothing, earning his spot unlike so many.

"You aren't being childish, yet you refuse to sit with your older brother for dinner? No. By that alone, you're still that same little girl limited by her own views of how the world works. To even think my rule was authoritarian speaks wonders for how young a mind you possess." The more this man spoke, the closer he came to the barrier separating himself from the world outside the mirror. The news that their youngest sibling had not been found, but had instead found his way to the Magic Knights of his own accord, caused this man's eyes to widen as his slit pupils narrowed. Hearing that the boy had the attention of every Captain in the Magic Knights' current roster was astounding. To think he could have become so powerful before joining the Magic Knights. Frankly, this was incredible news... but also horrendous news for the exact same reason. "Every Captain, you say? That must have been a sight to behold. Send the boy back, Sibylla. You'd have been best off never seeing him again, but I suppose there was no avoiding this."

"Iie, not being childish at all, there are plenty of reasons, for me not to want to eat with you in the room. Admittedly, as a child being around you made me nervous, as an adult that isn't so much the case. But... I still wouldn't feel right about it, knowing I trapped you in that mirror," she said calmly. it was perfectly rational that she'd not want to have dinner with someone she was anxious of, even if the reason for that anxiety had shifted over the years. Perhaps it was more adequate to say, she felt a bit of guilt surrounding this occurance as she was kind-hearted enough not to enjoy the idea of anything resembling torture being done to any of her siblings, even the one she'd previously been afraid of. She even noted him moving closer to the mirror's edge but didn't shy away from it herself either. "Authoritarian is how I see it. It might not be like that to everyone, perhaps it ruins my appetite. Seeing you like this reminds me of a time I felt myself becoming too much like you..." In her own mind, Sibylla thought her reasoning sound enough, it wasn't simply how she felt as a child which made her act one way or another, but a culmination of many things. She'd changed enough over the years to see the necessity of some things, but still couldn't be bound by the idea that she should force things she didn't have to.

Regardless of this difference in ideology, it seemed at least her brother understood the gravity of what she had to say concerning her youngest brother. The fact that the lad had managed to impress every Magic Knight Captain was something worthy of innate amounts of praise. If she went on to explain what he did beyond that, he'd likely understand the position she was in now, or perhaps she wouldn't have to give that much away right now. Still her elder brother persisted that she send the lad back, and she simply couldn't do it. "I can't send him back, and you should understand that better than anyone," she started looking at this man with a piercing gaze that wasn't unlike his own. But what she had to say next wasn't nearly as sentimental as she was as an elder sibling. "Taking myself out of the equation as the sort of meddling rebellious child, you claim I am. I already told you, he was scouted by every single Captain. Even if I send him back, under the ruse that he shouldn't be a Magic Knight, someone else would go fetch him, at least one would on the basis that he likes rejects," she said. "I've always entertained the idea that you might have done what you did to protect him, given this... I can't reject him and send him back out into the middle of nowhere. You understand at this point, even if it was done to protect his physical self, his psyche and good will would suffer for such a rejection. Breaking him would be worse," she said knowing of the lads positive goals and wanting to nurture those into flourishing. "I can't allow that when he has clear and righteous motivations... besides, if it was some other reason you worried for him, because of something about him... it is probably better to keep an eye on his progress directly. Such is the difference between us, Nii-sama." She explained her case, and knew the man before her likely wouldn't agree even though it was the most logical of actions to take. As she'd previously mentioned her brother had still yet to explain his proper stance on any of this. As a child she'd just been angry and wanted her brother back. And she'd devoted herself to becoming a Magic Knight to have the means to oppose her brother's rule and go find him. Now, even if she could entertain it for the greater good, she could not allow greater harm to come to the lad for whatever good the man failed to mention.

"Hoh? So it's because you put me in here, is it? That's even worse. If you're letting something you did out of personal obligation affect you to such an extent, then you're being more childish than I thought. That is the difference between us," he said as his eyes met a gaze which, for all of Sibylla's rejection of him and his ideals, looked more and more like viewing a mirror to the man. As much as he spoke about her selective conviction, these were moments where he saw the young woman shining brightly... just as he felt she needed to. "Look at you. It's laughable how much you resemble me sometimes. It is fully within your power to banish him from the Magic Knights, as well as the Clover Kingdom. You can't do it, though. I do understand. I should have killed him years ago instead of sending him away, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. Maybe I am too much like you now. But... what about you? If I bend to your will just this once... if you are made to understand why I do what I do... could you do it? Could you do what I couldn't do when I should have, and what you couldn't do in retaliation? Keeping Asher here as a Magic Knight... having your precious little brother within arms reach... there is a cost. You will one day have to kill that brother, and I'm afraid to say he may be far more powerful than you when that time comes. So, I'll ask you once again after all these years: How strong is your resolve, Sibylla?"

"Or maybe I just don't like looking at your face," Sibylla did have moments of real childishness and they were always more obvious to her siblings. None would have seen more of her childishness than the one sibling she had who actually had more than a few years on her. And while she continued to look at her elder brother with the same piercing gaze he seemed to be so perfectly capable of maintaining, a chuckle escaped her as her brother tantalized her with the idea of acquiescing to her wishes. His words came with veiled meanings, vague explanations and something which seemed to correspond with a subtle threat. He asked her if she was capable of killing this lad, in the way that he hadn't been able to, and in the way that she hadn't been able to kill him as well. "I don't think I like you comparing yourself to me, Nii-sama..." Sibylla started whether or not this man planned to cave to her wishes or simply scream at her every time she appeared here that she should send the boy back was of little consequence to her. "You still think you know everything, even when I tell you differently. I never intended to kill you, and I told you that back then. I wouldn't harm any of my brothers. I never would..." she said her gaze meeting his still full of that same resolve. "Even you," Sibylla's words left her mouth and she felt renewed. The thing she tended to dislike about discussions with her brother was that he always talked about things as if they were set in stone. "So, what I can tell you, is that I absolutely won't kill him," she said, but in meeting her younger brother and knowing what he wanted to do with himself, she could hardly contain her new desires. "But if you think it will be such a travesty, I'll just have to make sure, I'm strong to keep that future from happening too."

There was finality in Sibylla's words, and for a brief moment she saw her smaller younger self staring at her older brother with disdain as she told him she'd beat him on her own terms and then find her little brother. She worked towards these things on the basis of the challenges this man set before her. She could at the very least, appreciate this man for the obstacle he made himself into, perhaps then, she owed it to him to have a meal with him once in a while. After all, it was her choice to keep him as a prisoner instead of killing him, and living up to the consequences of that choice was part of the penance necessary to walk this differing path she chose. Silence over came her. It was the silence she was known for throughout the Magic Knights, the one which had earned her the nickname of Silent Magician among her peers. Her thoughts were complex and hidden, and though she still didn't know what it was which made her elder brother think there was something amiss with her younger brother. She'd spoken to the lad, she'd seen his light and understood at least a portion of his goodness, and with that in mind, she couldn't even dream of snuffing it out before seeing what the lad would choose for himself.

And there it was - the childish streak of one Sibylla Silva in one shining moment of a rebuttal. The man in the mirror seemed unfazed by her retort, and even her distaste of comparisons between them. He could see it clearly, and if she couldn't, it simply meant she did not understand his true purpose in everything he did. Of course, this was no one's fault but his own, but there was so much more beneath the surface that he could not reveal. "Sibylla..." he said with a tone so low, it could almost be called a whisper in spite of its clarity. When asked about her resolve, she responded in kind with her desire to do no harm to her siblings. Still, no good could come of this. Considering this discussion to be at its end, he turned away and began walking deeper into the mirror world, stopping only to share a few parting words with his sister. "I'll see you again on the other side. When I do, I'll once again ask you... What does it mean to be a Magic Knight? We'll see the outcome of your resolve then."

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast