Page 39 of 69 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Shibuya

Satoru didn't have much to discuss with Kimiko, but what he did have was something important and time-sensitive. Still, he had this entire trip to do so. The teens seemed to be having an interesting discussion in the back of his SUV, so he thought to put heavier topics off for the moment. After all, there was no point spoiling their moments. He likely wouldn't have had much to offer anyway, considering how loudly the male behind him was laughing at the time. "Yes you're the odd one out! How much filet mignon do you have in your diet that you've never heard or seen McDonald's? It's literally the bourgeois staple food of broke people across the world!"

She couldn't understand. All her life, she probably never needed a meal outside of her home. On the other hand, other children had to deal with parents' lies about having food at home, when there was nothing worth eating in actuality. Such was a history lesson Yugi had the privilege to give. To do so, he turned in his seat, facing Kimiko and propping a leg up in the space between them. "Listen up, you uncultured pig-swine, and I will enlighten your stupid self! Since the dawn of McDonald's, children across the whole wide world have asked a single question. In car rides, the question has always been: 'Can we go to McDonald's?' What makes McDonald's such an incredible place, is the rejection! 'Do you have McDonald's money' would always be the response of most parents. Few in history have been able to say 'yes, I do!' Those few know a joy the likes of which this world's lesser creatures can never understand, you see?" While Yugi spoke, he seemed so very... holier than thou, as it were. It was all in a joking manner, of course, and it had therefore become Satoru's turn to snicker from the seat ahead of them. What an interesting pair these two were, he thought. It could be considered a stroke of good fortune that he had been the officer assigned to this 'case' involving Ashikaga Kimiko─ others likely would have actually ruined their day by blindly following orders.

Ah, it appeared Kimiko would be left to her own devices for a while yet. Right at the moment, she was being teased further about the quality and lack of variety in her diet. Yugi was busy as always, confirming that was indeed the odd one out in such a situation but she could only further scoff and pout playfully. Never was there any real amount of seriousness between them, even while they were conversing in such a way. "I will have you know that red meat is also contradictory to my diet, so I'm not supposed to have it that often," she said her nose turned up in the air. Of course, that didn't mean she wasn't eating all manner of other meats cooked whatever way she wished for them to be. Whatever the case, Yugi was turning towards her now, and schooling her on the matter of McDonald's which was obviously something she wasn't familiar with.

As a matter of course, Kimiko also turned towards him, seemingly hanging on his every word. The story of McDonald's was apparently an age old tale, of parents denying children happiness at whatever kind of food was served there and the food they had at home. Of course, such a tale wasn't completely unknown to Kimiko, but this fast food place was. Many times in her childhood, she'd asked for random food types and been turned down by her mother in favor of a more healthy and balanced diet. Too bad her father was a bit more lenient and prone to giving snacks while they were out of her mother's sight. Oh well, "Sou desu ka. My humble self wasn't aware of such a fierce battle between children and parents. How daring those young ones were to claim such a victory for themselves. I didn't know my enlightenment would come so swiftly," she said with her head bowed in mock reverence. Ah but she was still a joking little troll wasn't she? After she spoke those words a grin spread across her face as she made eye contact with Yugi, she really couldn't keep it together as a laugh escaped her. "Hahahaha~ I can't with you. What the hell is that? You haven't even described the food~" the lass said seeming to have trouble pulling herself together. Ah, this was good fun. Even Satoru was snickering about the whole of the situation, this was good. Kimiko was glad they weren't completely insufferable as company even though the truth of the matter was she could easily find herself more easily in just Yugi's company. Perhaps her time in the otherworld was making it easier for her to pull upon her Avatars personality traits, presenting them as needed for the situation.

In no time at all, the whole car was laughing to some extent. Satoru did so due to the simple nature of the teens behind him, while the latter pair seemed to simply be having a good time. Yugi experienced another surprising moment, being the lack of red meat in Kimiko's diet overall. It was really a shame for one to live with such limitations; he had to put a stop to the madness! "Stop calling it a diet. You know it's perfectly fine to admit you were abused, right?" he asked, keeping that same joking spirit.

Once the epic tale was told, Kimiko understood the legend which started many a random joke. Alas, there was one slight problem mentioned after both parties failed to keep up the pretend seriousness of the moment. Yugi hadn't done a thing to describe the food, huh? Well... good. He didn't intend to do so, and even if he did, he would have left the mystery intact. So many wonderous things existed in the lower end of society in this world, it was almost impossible to offer many important details regarding what made the finer things in life... well, the finer things in life. Somehow, Yugi managed to rationalize something cheap like McDonald's as a fine thing. "Didn't I? I sang the epic song, and that's all there is to it," he insisted. In response to this clause, Satoru had some actual input to offer. "I think he means it's so legitimately bad, there's no way to explain what's actually good about it." In spite of his demeanor toward this man, Yugi couldn't have agreed more with Satoru's interjection if he tried. A laugh escaped the younger male once more. "Welcome to the life of the not-so-rich and fabulous. Should totally invest in a new business and call it Half Foods," he joked further. At this point in the conversation, the McDonald's they were driving toward was in sight. Alas, Satoru wasn't sure whether he should pull into the drive-thru, or a parking space. "In or out?"

Kimiko was a girl who strangely lived her life with and without boundaries. The ones she had, most people found strange, but the ones she didn't have, most people had no mark of comparison for. The best example of this would be her recent shopping trip, where she'd spent exorbitant amounts of money without a second thought, but she also hadn't ever eaten or even thought about a McDonald's before. Such was the dichotomy of a Ashikaga Kimiko. As they laughed and joked about her apparent lack of common sense lifestyle, Yugi made the proclamation about her obvious abuse in the form of her active diet. "I'm pretty sure having a personal chef would disqualify me from making such a claim... even if he's under strict orders to not let me have junk food~" she joked of her own circumstances. Obviously she was old enough to take matters like her diet into her own hands.

Beyond those points, Yugi claimed that singing the song of the place was enough of an explanation. It really wasn't. How as Kimiko supposed to know what kind of food she was having if she couldn't tell by his words? Well it seemed that one like Gojou Satoru was on his way to a better explanation. "Ah, I see. We are introducing me to bad food, that is somehow good. That's... weird," Yes. That is all a lass like her had to say about it before hand. She was fairly open minded though, so, she'd be giving this food a spin based solely upon Yugi's recommendation. After all, the lad had never led her astray in the food department thus far. "Half Foods?" the lass questioned seeming to find the hilarity in the moment and wondering what such a business would offer. When questioned about dining options, Kimiko had but one thing to say. "Out, I hate eating in places. People are always staring at me..." that was the absolute truth, she'd always chosen to eat outside of places and order without being too close to anyone. Such a habit was obvious in the other world too, though that didn't help her escape the watchful eyes of the Lizardmen. "Yugi, you're responsible for food choice... since you haven't told me exactly what kind of food I should be expecting... my culinary life is in your capable hands~" she said continuing in the most joking manner the banter of their conversation.

"Y'know, having a personal chef is just more of a reason to claim abuse. Your people gave you a whole person to serve your food, and you're still almost two decades deep on no McDonald's. It's criminal, really; you could probably sue your own family." Once more, none of Yugi's proclamations were series, but the matter of Kimiko having zero experience with this fast food restaurant was a serious matter in its own right.

Satoru's take on McDonald's was about as accurate as things could get. It was terrible, but it was oh so wonderful. It was simultaneously the worst and greatest food a person could shove into their mouth. None could truly explain its goodness, though there were dozens of negatives that could be listed with ease. Yugi mulled over this fact of reality as Satoru pulled into the drive-thru. Two of three people in this vehicle could agree that dining in the restaurant was the worst option, and even the more sociable Satoru agreed that eating inside a fast food place was a terrible idea. Something about it just felt... wrong. Either way, he was going to be needing an order list as a voice escaped the intercom. Kimiko passed the proverbial torch to Yugi, who already knew what the order had to be. "Rule 1: order the best, worst thing on the menu. Big Macs, fries, and cola!" the lad said with confidence, leaving Satoru to the matter of articulating the order. "Hai hai, three Big Mac combos coming up~"

"Hm? I guess I could see the point... but suing takes so much effort." she exclaimed in her own mocking tone. "Ugh but have you ever had a conversation with a lawyer? Pain in the ass, 10 of 10 wouldn't recommend," she said seeming to have given it some kind of real thought. Much like Yugi, Kimiko wasn't being at all serious. She found the whole of the exercise to be hilarious and mostly thought of it as a bit of improvisation. She enjoyed bouncing the random bits of outlandish conversation around for her amusement, and having someone present who got her humor was beyond anything she could have wished for otherwise.

Kimiko who was the unversed when it came to this fast food experience was being given rules. "Alright, guess I'm being studious, now..." she said as a rule was given to her. Apparently when ordering one was supposed to order the best worst thing. Apparently at McDonalds that was a Big Mac, fries and a cola. Her eyes widened, she'd not a cola before. Sodas were definitely off limits. She could have juice, coffee, tea and any manner of non-carbonated drink she wanted. The only exception to that was Champaign which she was allowed on special occasions. Whatever the hell this Big Mac was, she had no idea. "These words sound like a foreign language right now..." she said running a hand over her face. She had so many questions and many of them she knew were going to mark her as a person of way too much money. This was about to be one of the most exciting embarrassing meals of her life. At the same time since, Gojou was ordering she slipped out her credit card and passed it forward. She didn't even think about it, she never really did. Of course a teenage girl with a limitless credit card and an uncanny knack for business probably didn't care too much about the price of meals to start with.

Conversations with lawyers? He had a few, and none were very pleasant. Lawyers, while necessary, were people Yugi viewed with disdain, bar a few select individuals. "I've had some. The ones that take the career for reasons other than money are alright, but the rest, I can't listen to for five seconds without wanting them out of my bubble," he explained. Never would he trust a lawyer without given reason, but ah... that train of thought was a bit too serious for the current topic, wasn't it? "Anyway, yeah. Find one that's not a shithead, and sue. You'll want to after you try a Big Mac~"

A valuable lesson was delivered without fail. It didn't matter that it all sounded foreign to Kimiko; Yugi expected it to by now. What mattered here was that another experienced was marked off the ever-growing list of things. A credit card was produced as Satoru reached the payment window, but he didn't bother reaching out to take it. No, he used his own without further consideration. Yugi overheard the man saying 'yes' to an offer of ketchup, which brought the lad to another point. "And rule 2: Always get ketchup for fries. They might suck, so you might want it later even if you don't normally use it." Was Yugi making these rules up as he went? Yes, of course he was. That was simply the way of a fast food eater's lifestyle; making random and irresponsible decisions like upsizing a combo, or... apparently applying rules to the fast food experience for those who were new to it.

Ah, he was quite right. Kimiko found that for ethical purposes, she preferred people who weren't in certain situations for money. Lawyers, doctors, teachers were all the sorts who shouldn't be in their profession solely for the purpose of making money. Any one making art as well, though that was a bit more of a strange reason. Even so, if something like the simple (or maybe not so simple) matter of a Big Mac would make her want to sue her parents for holding out, she was beyond excited to try it out. "All this over food seems extreme... I'll find one though, I know a couple of okay ones. Still probably be best if I only sue one... then I can use the other as leverage," she said think about it for a moment or two still mostly in jest.

Now as a matter of certain surprise. Kimiko's card wasn't taken for this purchase. Hm, that was strange, yes... she'd paid for the movie tickets, but he was driving and beyond that he'd managed not to ruin her day. This was of course, only a net positive in the favor of the man called Gojou Satoru, but it was still something to be noted for later use. "Arigatou na," she murmured. She truly had no use for people buying things for her. It was a strange thing to have any random person do so, but in a moment like this... she could only spend so much time trying to reason out why this was the case. Moving right along, as she slipped her card back into her phone case, she was given another rule which made no sense. Always get ketchup in case the fries suck. "Eh? But what is the point of ordering something if it might suck, are we playing food roulette?" she questioned. The rules of this whole situation were rather strange. Besides that she was certain ketchup was a bit of an extreme... she couldn't say she used it much at all... what was the point? Ah, but even as she questioned such a thing, there was high excitement. She had no idea what any of this food was, but she was about to have a strange set of experiences back to back. She simply couldn't have asked for a better day.

"Of course it's extreme, but that's fine. It's food; you're supposed to go above and beyond over it," Yugi insisted as if he were some sort of food connoisseur. Of course, it was only just another thing to say for the sake of saying something. Now, going beyond the matter of lawyers and suing one's parents over a lack of fast food, Yugi watched an exchange occur between Satoru and the window worker. It seemed they would have to pull forward and wait for their order to be brought out, but their driver was being handed three drinks in sequence at present. "Fries cooking. Nice. Gotta love rush hour~" Yugi said while reaching forward to claim his own beverage. Satoru kept hold of a specific cup, apparently having something other than cola for himself.

What was the point of ordering something that might suck? Yugi could ask the point of ordering something that was guaranteed to be a certain quality. Food roulette didn't sound like such a bad idea─ something like hotpot. "Never done hotpot either, huh? The point of ordering it, is that it could be better than it's ever been before. It'll suck sometimes, but it'll be incredible other times. It's all part of the experience," he explained while Satoru drove forward just a few meters. "It's not like the bad is horrible or anything. Well... sometimes it is. Most times it's just... bleh. They're going to be fresh this time though, so as long as they actually remembered the salt this time, they'll be amazing." As Yugi was speaking, he was also taking the time to remove his straw from its paper wrap. While waiting, he thought it worthwhile to consume part of what little beverage this restaurant managed to fit in a large cup filled with ice. . .

"Uh-huh..." this was all Kimiko could manage at this point. According to the lad beside her it was worth going above and beyond over food. "People that are crazy over food are kind of extreme. You say one weird thing about the nature of cooking and I'll never step foot in a kitchen with you..." she said. In this particular case she was thinking of only a single individual, that personal chef of hers, whose hard and fast opinions about food made him somewhat tyrannical about food in a way that she definitely could not commiserate. Beyond this point their fries were cooking, apparently fresh, hot food when it was a thing was always for the best. So, Kimiko reached out for the cup passed back towards her along with the straw. Strange though it was, such a situation had never been presented to her before.

Strangely enough she understood already how to place a straw within a cup. She wasn't a child after all, though the contents of the drink were very different from the norm, she was prone to an iced coffee or specialty juice every now and again. While she forced a straw down through what had to be a literal mountain of ice, she was confronted by the idea that she'd never done whatever a hotpot was. "Iie, I don't know what that is..." she confirmed of this hotpot idea. According to Yugi though the point of ordering such strange food without quality guarantees was the idea of getting something better than one ever had before. "Sou ka," she said seeming to understand. She did a bit anyways, wanting something bigger and better was human nature after all. And if the food wouldn't be a dumpster fire, she supposed she could understand the exchange at least lightly. After speaking she went to take a sip of this drink and had her mouth assaulted by what could only be called a sensation of burning bubbles. "Ahh... Why does it burn? Bubbles aren't meant to be this intense!" she exclaimed of her first reaction to this thing called cola. Though she took another sip... maybe there was understanding to be found in here somewhere.

Page 39 of 69 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast