Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kingdom of Eonis

During the approach of this stranger, Arjuna watched with slightly-widened eyes. Did he recognize this person? No, surely he had to be mistaken. There was no way this was the face he recognize, yet... it certainly was. The purple-haired male hopped into the cart with a nod, taking in the information and introductions made by Hikari. "I am Sir Lancelot of the Round Table," he said, causing the eyes of Arjuna to widen even further from atop the cart. Indeed, it was exactly who he thought, no simple lookalike.

On Lancelot's end, he was questioned as to what role he could play in this endeavor. They had an Archer, a Caster, and he could assume Hikari herself to be the only melee-range warrior of the group. With her being the leader, though, he knew his place immediately. "If you are the one leading this escapade, it would be a hindrance for you to fight as well, yes? I will protect our vantage point from any who make it beyond the others. I swear to you, there will be no need for you to break your concentration by fighting."

"Sir Lancelot?! THE FUCK?!" This was the only reaction Hikari could have. She hadn't known about the major group from her world, she'd been here far too long to see their rising in the game world ranks. No, but as a child in the village of Demi-Humans, she knew of the Knights of the Round Table and their Chivalry. "It must be my lucky day!~" she chimed, this was a strangely fortuitous outcome. One which was only made better by the place this man wanted to take up in their rescue mission. He claimed that he would take up what would have been her own position by fighting any people opposing in Melee range. This would in theory free up her own mental capacity as well as allowing her to rescue all of the people from within the Church without having to worry about the potential damages associated with her person. "Alright that is what I like to hear. Welcome aboard, Sir Lancelot... we're counting on ya'," she said offering the man as smile as they came to a halt in front of the Church. She arranged the carriage in such a way that it could be defended from a forward onslaught as well as guarded from the sides as people gathered within it. "Nice job Fiona... now we just have to get the people inside and we can head back..."

But as she approached the Church she was acutely aware of something. It didn't feel right, there was no hum of ambient magic. No blessings flowing from within. Stepping on what should have been hallowed ground caused no spike in her sensory skills. Senses she'd been honing for quite some time. No... all she could do, was hear the soft sounds of the people huddled within, and something else from way deeper within. 'Ugh, and she thought this place could last another night?' she thought angry at the lack of understanding that one such as Madoka had. She ran up the steps of the church and pushed open the doors. All eyes of the people within were on here. Hold up here were some thirty to forty men, women and children. All at various stages of haggardness. These didn't look like the upper crust people who would have had access to the Church first, they looked like the most degenerate poor she'd ever seen. "Oi! We don't have a lot of time. So here... we have a cart outside and we can get you out of here. There is a farm outside of town, fresh air and no demons. On my word, if you come we can protect you. The old, women and children first, then the able bodied men. Pick it up people..." she said, but strangely no one moved.

"I am he, yes," Lancelot answered. He didn't seem particularly pleased to hear recognition of his own name; he was more invested in what he could do to protect and serve. Luckily, there was use for him yet in this very moment. Lancelot hopped out of the cart to stand at the ready next to Hikari. In the meantime, Diva remained prepared to shelter any who left the building, and Arjuna began picking off lesser Demonic Beasts in the distance. Alas, there was an issue inside, which Lancelot was able to bear witness to alongside Hikari. These people did not abandon the Church in spite of the fact that they clearly gained no protection from it, and worse yet, there was something... off about the building in general. The holy protection was gone, so why hadn't Demonic Beasts broken through already? It didn't make sense at all. "Hikari-dono... Get behind me," he insisted, stepping out ahead of the Demi-human whilst a hand took the hilt of his broadsword.

Holy Protection... gone. Demonic Beasts... still outside. That didn't really make sense. What was keeping them out of here if the Church was no longer protected. Hikari looked around and soon enough had Sir Lancelot asking her to get behind him, she did, but it came with just a bit of her normally sassy attitude. "Fine, fine... but... I'm a whole kid. Hikari-chan, suits me fine..." she said casually. Still, she knew for a fact these people weren't corrupt so they shouldn't have been safe here. Why where they? The sound of robes flapping in the wind came forth as the hurried steps of a lanky priest made their way forward. He stepped up to the Pulpit, looking out at the crowd. He had dark circles under his eye which shown for the briefest of moments with something. It wasn't Demonic Light though. "Look out into the world my children. And know that only death and destruction await you. Only here can any of you hope to survive!" he exclaimed. "Wait for your King to deliver you... wait and you shall be rewarded. I have seen him, I know his truth... there is nothing to fear, until you leave this place! The Old Gods have forgotten you, but your King, KING EON! Still cares..." these were the words of a zealot. 'Fuck!' was the only word present in the mind of Hikari.

No one clamored or moved. No, only the children seemed to register that something was wrong. They looked around, towards Hikari with honest fear in their eyes. "You can't honestly believe that. There aren't any blessings here. And every small child in here is scared to death... nothing good will come of staying here. Leave while you can!" Hikari exclaimed. A scoff escaped this priest as his hooked nose leaned forward and he looked down with condemnation. "A disgraceful animal! Who dares try and lead astray the flock. How could I in good faith let such a thing stand? Stay children, you shall be fed, there is no need to fear what will happen here," mentioned the priest. "Uh-huh... one of those..." there was no outright violence. Not yet. It needed a trigger but what was it. The whole of congregation seemed entranced, were they perhaps under a spell? They had to be right? No one would willingly wait for... "Sou ka, they turned the church into a farm... but the kids' instincts are still good... they don't trust him. The adults don't see what they do..." Hikari said. She knew what was needed. "Sir Lancelot, you said you'd be the brawn right now... well on my mark things are gonna get scary, but I promise you won't miss the signal..." she explained. She had a plan, and it was to show every adult here what was actually waiting for them if they stayed. To be honest, she couldn't see it either, but there was still that sound... making her ears twitch uncomfortably and more than ever, she was sure it was coming from behind the priest.

A glowing ball of light started parallel between this Demi-Human's hand and grew for several seconds. All the small children watched and even a small twitch would shift attention away from the priest. Such was a light they hadn't seen before. "If you can't hear my voice. If you won't hear reason... then see for yourself what you're giving yourself up to. Make a choice here and now... RELEASE!" the ball of light exploded in the ceiling and rained down upon the church. It wasn't the Holy Light which could smite Demons, instead it was the Dispelling Light, which revealed all that was hidden before them. The sound of gnashing teeth an horns, upside down against backdrop. Where a statue of a savior should have been, was a Demonic alter. Without a doubt, the one which had been used originally to summon King Eon. Strings appeared on the back of the Priest, but could not be undone. He was completely human, but blinded by his own hatred. "See the Illusion this witch casts before you!" he tried to blame Hikari, but the children knew better and their parents began to back away. This Priest was so blinded by his own delusions that he couldn't see the creature behind him, pulling his strings. Moving ever so slowly towards the lass, as the first stumbling footsteps became stronger still. "That's right. No pushing... let's go. Quick as you like!" she began funneling them out towards the door, and as the first step over the threshold was taken, demons appearing. Crawling over the ceiling, body parts of devoured humans raining down upon the priest and his puppeteer as the people fled this tainted place. She wouldn't focus on this, no, Lancelot had made her a promise, she assumed he'd keep. She'd focus on the people and start getting them loaded into the cart.

Hikari's rebuttal was noted, but Lancelot would not be adhering to her request. So long as he served someone, he would refer to them as such. Besides... as she delivered her orders, she reminded him of another. He took no issue at all following her instructions, but first, he wound up staring down what seemed to be a priest. This man with his rather offensive-looking nose was the issue here; Lancelot had no doubt of this. A bit of a spat occurred between the priest and Hikari, and Lancelot remained ready for her signal all the while. He was repulsed that a man of the Church could present himself in such a way, twisting the words of his own faith to captivate his congregation for evil purposes. Alas, he was patient.

While Lancelot awaited his moment to strike, Arjuna and Diva were at the ready outside. The former had already begun picking off Demonic Beasts with well-placed arrows, killing some while maiming others. The latter merely waited for any civilians to escape, that he might encase them in his Guardians until they reached the cart safely. It was during this period of protecting the vantage point that Lancelot saw just what he needed. This priest was not necessarily an evil man, but a possessed one, as revealed by the Demi-human's magic. This was his sign, and with it, he drew his broadsword from its sheath. Beneath him, and around the sword, his Mana manifested in a way that seemed to create ripples. Spreading out from him was the cool, tranquil sensation of a magical lake, radiating from his blade and person as he launched himself forward.

Lancelot would leap over the priest while aiming one strike - just one. His sword rose overhead, then aimed to crash down upon the puppeteer manipulating the poor man of faith in an ocean-blue crescent of calming, yet destructive force.

The Priest didn't know what he was doing, but he saw all the parishioners leaving and became upset. A bellow escaped him that wasn't his own, he didn't know where this anger came from. Happily enough the members of the party who were outside were already doing their jobs, as the first few people began running for the cart, they were keeping Hikari's warnings in mind. Small children, women, old people and then finally at the back the young men, were filing out of the church to be protected until they reached the cart and loaded into with out hassle. All the while the newly added weight of each individual seemed to be making Fiona ever so happy. There was a look of odd determination in this bird's face, as if she was ready to face the world.

In the meantime, with all of the people out of the way, Lancelot did the one thing he was always going to. While Hikari kept directing the people outwards and pushing them towards the protection of the cart, he jumped and slashed at the Demon behind the Priest. The slash with its calming effect seemed to do a great deal of damage to the Demon, so much that it couldn't keep its hold on the priest. "NOOOOOO!!!!!" was the final scream of this creature as it died. The priest, had thought his life was over, but instead found himself stumbling forward as the demon lay writhing in agony. "WHAT IS THAT?!" he exclaimed as if he'd never been aware of this before. "THAT CAN'T BE IN THE CHURCH THIS IS A HOUSE OF GOD!!" he seemed to be outraged and normally he'd be right but... "You really question that!? There is no god here, only demons, puppets and livestock! This church lost its blessing long before we arrived, probably around the time you started preaching hate..." she said turning her back on the man as she watched the cart be filled up, she held no punches, people like these delusional types needed the truth, as gritty as it could be presented.

The priest managed to look stunned. He'd done this? He'd brought this evil into this place? How could he face his parish now? Hikari could hear the man's shoulders slump in his shame... "I... have behaved regrettably. I don't deserve to be saved this day, nor any..." he said softly. Perhaps this was the man he'd always been before, skeptical, a bit ugly but not a bad guy. "Spilled milk. Moving on, get your ass in the cart. This isn't about you right now. I'm not letting some random old dude die because he feels bad. Atonement shouldn't be as easy as dying, it should be as hard as living..." she said the man looked stunned. Could he really join them, would she really let him. He stumbled forward moving past Hikari who didn't look upon him at all. He saw in her the light he'd long since stopped seeing. "That should about do it, we have to get back to the farm. Get the people inside the barrier, and I have a feeling its gonna be a bumpy ride. Let's go!" she said to Lancelot as she began to move forward. "Oh, and thanks for the help," she added. This man really didn't have to waste his time doing this sort of thing, and she was generally appreciative of him, making up for a potentially missing piece of their formation.

In one fell swoop, the knight Lancelot bested whatever demonic presence consumed this priest, freeing the man of his sinful behavior. This did nothing to quell the beasts outside, but it was a grand step in the right direction for the kingdom's salvation. The next step, was ensuring the safe evacuation of all those who sought refuge within the Church of Eonis, including the priest himself. The man thought himself undeserving of being delivered, but the Demi-human spoke words to the contrary. Once again, she made herself seem like the first person Lancelot pledged his sword to. "I should thank you for accepting me. It has been an honor," he said, bowing his head toward the lass before taking off to keep by her side during her exodus. He still had tasks of his own to deal with, but a true knight could not stand by idly while innocents suffered. "Is there more you require of me, my lady? My sword is yours if you have use of it."

A grin crossed the Demi-human's face. "Iie, you saved me from a bit of a tight spot. Don't worry about it..." she said as she stepped out of the threshold of the church. The cart had been loaded up and the Filolial who was hitched the front had an aggressive look of determination on her face. Arjuna was busy sniping from a distance and all was right in the world. An extra body for the actual clearing of the Church had been nice, but the ride itself had all the protections it needed. She couldn't rightly keep this man from whatever mission he'd put on hold to do a little melee damage against the horde as they moved. Especially when safety wasn't really that far off. "Nope, I don't require anything else. We are just gonna get all these people to the barrier setup outside the Kingdom. You are welcome to hitch a ride out if you like. You definitely deserve it. The rest of our party should be back with the missing pieces for this puzzle in no time at all. The next time you cross through here, it will be thriving," she said as she took her place at the front of the cart. She'd pick up the reins and practically feel the vibration of Filolial. "Ah, but as a piece of advice, stay away from the Princess Player in this Kingdom. She's all princess and no sense. And has a weird fixation on Knights..."

And with that she'd raise her arms to clap the reins. If everyone was aboard she give one final shout to let them know what kind of movement was to come. "ALRIGHT WE'RE MOVING OUT!! HANG ON TIGHT!" And with that and a downward clap, Fiona would thunder off towards the western front happily dragging along the evacuees without a care in the world.

Since she required nothing else of him, the knight Lancelot took his leave of Hikari and the others. Arjuna kept up his efforts of fending off Demonic Beasts, Diva kept up his efforts of protecting the party, and eventually they managed to hold the fort overnight. On that next morning though, they would be visited by the return of others. Alongside this kingdom's princess, riding thr Ryuuko named Xerxes, was Kou. The night was just about over. Only an hour or so lay ahead of them before the sun's rays would begin illuminating the sky, so there was ample time to devise a battle plan after grouping up.

Only upon passing the bounded field surrounding the farm, did he even consider dismounting and banishing the creature which carried him. It seemed there were many more people inhabiting these farmlands now. Good. Seeing this, he could only assume Hikari and the others had successfully evacuated the Church of Eonis. Before looking for the rest of their group, he decided to turn toward Princess Aerona. He'd been the one to bring her here, so he'd also taken it upon himself to explain the existence of this protected farm along the way. "This is the place. Looks like they rounded up all the survivors. Everybody else has probably been turned into a Demonic Beast by now, so... this is what we're working with aside from whatever Royal Knights are still around and not influenced by King Eon."

They'd managed. Even after, Sir Lancelot left, the group at large had managed to stay alive and keep alive everyone who'd been found within the church. It was a victory however small it was. And now the group was gathering for a much more handed assault. Hikari sat propped up against the farmhouse and Fiona, nestled into her bird form enjoying a few moments of rest. Jaskier managed to be up pretty early, he was helping out as best he could. Handing out food and the like. And Madoka, well... That white haired lass in particular was also handing out food. After being thoroughly reminded of her place the previous day, the Knights she had under her control were deferred to Hikari for the duration of her charge as captain. Soon after she'd begun small works as she wasn't useful for the fights against the Demons that stalked in the night. "Kou-san is back!" she exclaimed. Hikari instead of moving mumbled and swatted at the sound of Madoka's voice. "Shaddup, five more minutes..." she grumbled seemingly exhausted. Kou actually had Princess Aerona with him, which was welcome and surprising to all who saw them. Aerona herself looked around the place, the situation wasn't as bad as she imagined it, but it still wasn't the absolute best to work with. "Pitiful. But... I suppose given the circumstances, it could definitely be worse. As long as we have enough extra bodies to keep us from being overrun, I can't complain..." said the Princess. There was still a bit of snideness to her, but this group looked as if they'd actually done a reasonable amount of their own work, she couldn't fault them for the present situation.

As this conversation happened, the last couple of members of the party were showing up. This was Miki atop her dire wolf which bounded into the field only to slow pace to a gentle padding as he approached. With her, atop this creature was likely a certain Lost Prince. "This is the place. It seems the barrier I placed here held overnight. We should meet up with the others and see what kind of plan they have going..." she said softly, as she dismounted giving the wolf a thorough petting for all his hard work. She'd explained in a bit more detail about the people she'd been with before going out to the Grasslands. Though she wasn't truly romantically interested in him, she did hope to keep his spirits up while they approached. The people now hold up in this place seemed to be doing just fine considering the state of the Kingdom, but they were all who currently survived.

Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast