Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Marsh Kingdom

"It is... very beneficial to our attackers. You will understand when you speak with the Chieftain. This way," the guide spoke, seeming to be quite bothered by whatever information he was withholding. Kou perked up and raised a brow as he viewed this Lizardman, wondering what sort of trouble they were actually walking into right now. "Sou ka..." was all he said aloud. In due time, they were entering the Chieftain's domain within the kingdom. A long, cave-like hall led to an elevated throne within this building, and the path was dimly-lit by torches along either wall. Upon the throne was an old Lizardman with dark scales, deep, red eyes, and a tribal headdress atop his massive mane. Upon seeing the Adventurers presented by his now-kneeling emissary, the Chieftain spoke. "Thank you for answering my summons, future Heroes. As I'm sure you've heard, my child... My own scales and blood, would see me overthrown..."

The thought that there was something very beneficial in attacks to the Kingdom made Miki's left brow rise. She couldn't quite pin it down, but something about the statement seemed rather ominous. "Hm..." Miki mumbled but said nothing immediately. Her head though was full of misgivings about their present situation. 'Something tells me... I am not going to like whatever is going on here...' she concluded her thoughts as they made their way into a cave like structure to stand before this Chieftain. Such a person was rather interesting to view, full mane on a Lizardman with a headdress and piercing red eyes which spoke of an intelligence uncommon in animals but that coldness that was always there. In response to this greeting Miki lowered her pillow a bit so her feet, and by virtue of this Kou's could reach the floor. She'd stand for the most part as she had no desire to outright disrespect this Lizardman. "Families are kind of complicated, I get that but..." Miki paused thinking about how best to phrase her next sentence. "No one said anything about it being your son. They did say you were potentially in danger and that it was the same group that we defended Dwargon from, but we pretty much wiped out that army," Miki explained of their current amount of knowledge. "How are there actually still enough of them to do any real damage against your own army?"

As they stood before the Chieftain, post dropping from the pillow, the Adventurers were given an interesting segment of information regarding the rebellion happening here. "Yeah... Definitely didn't hear anything about a kid," Kou added to the notion that they knew nothing of the Chieftain's son being responsible. Such information would have been nice to have before they arrived here. Kou still wasn't opposed to helping out, but he'd rather not have been surprised to discover that he'd walked into a domestic dispute within the hierarchy of the Marsh Kingdom. The Chieftain bowed his head in shame. "It saddens me to admit that my own son aims for my head. The boy is tainted. I do not know what ails him, but he seeks the throne of the Lizardfolk. The old ways... They must remain intact. That is why I seek your help, bearers of the Ancestral Feline." Kou's brow raised once more. There was something which still didn't add up, so to speak, and it was the simple matter of this alleged 'benefit' to the enemy forces. Luckily, the Chieftain added a bit of specification due to Miki's query. "The boy, he... is a gifted Shaman. More gifted than our kind has seen in years. Lately, he has taken to dark, lost arts. The dead... whether they be his own forces, or ours... If they are Lizardfolk, he can make them rise and fight by his side."

Walking into the middle of a domestic dispute or internal affairs wasn't at the top of Miki's priority list. That being said, helping out the Lizardmen was beneficial to their overarching plan. Over the course of their conversation, the Chieftain of the Lizardmen, explained that his son was a talented Shaman who'd gone a bit power mad. This was a sort of standard troupe among such instances as infighting. What was more though, was the method through which this young Shaman was creating his rebellion. Apparently, he could bring the dead Lizardfolk back to fight on his side, making it so, their efforts in Dwargon had created a large gap in the size of their comparative forces. Beyond all this, the matter of a necromancer existing was something shocking to Miki, it was almost exciting, barring the circumstances of finding out such information and knowing they'd have to go against such a person. 'Mystically inclined Necromancer, with daddy issues and a physically imposing army of dead talented warriors...' Miki's mind wandered over the points of most importance. "Sou ka..." she said aloud. Inside though, Miki was going through the idea that it would be a pain to deal with this other Lizardman doing what he wanted. Beyond that they'd need to keep the causalities as low as possible and perhaps find a way to make sure the dead stayed down. Her mind began to wander across multiple potential strategies, combinations of runes, and her own known skills to try and find the best possible solution.

"Reviving dead Lizardmen, friend or foe... huh." Kou was quite disturbed by the information regarding the Chieftain's son. This had the makings of a major challenge, though actually felling this foe would be very worthwhile in the end. "If the two of you would help us... help me... I would be in your debt," said the Chieftain. Kou sighed, yet he did not intend to refuse this offer. He was, however, part of a team. With that in mind, he looked toward Miki. It wasn't that he assumed she would refuse at all either, but he sought confirmation. "I'm down. What about you?" he asked.

Miki continued sorting through the options of her mind, even as Kou analyzed the situation himself. He'd come to the same sort of conclusion she had, or at least she assumed by his given words. Beyond this though, the Chieftain himself was pleading for help, for himself and his people. Miki wouldn't deny someone such a thing when they asked for it earnestly and Kou was the same way. When the lad answered, he answered only for himself, though. Miki found this a strange about the two of them together, though they were content to do many of the same things, and often had the same or at least similar ideas, they were both content to make sure that the other was on-board for any specific activity. Rather it was simply that their partnership allowed them to retain their solo-player autonomy though they still worked together to complete goals. Something about this kind of partnership was truly satisfying to Miki and she'd come out of her deep thoughts with a nod. "Of course, I'm in too. I was actually thinking about potential ways to help out," Miki confirmed her own willingness to be part of this particular quest. Though it was a rather daunting task potentially, she felt like there was much to be gained from it, as such she was content to see it through. There was but one more question Miki needed to ask, mostly because it might hold some key to figuring out how to defeat this next enemy with as few casualties as possible. There were a lot of unknowns in this situation though, and Miki played enough video games in her life to know when something had greater meaning than the small story it was part of. There was a bit of curiosity lingering in Miki and she'd express it in this moment as tactfully as she could. "I do have one question Chieftain... by custom how do the Lizardfolk treat their dead?" by asking this, Miki chose to question the burial rites and ceremonies surrounding death for these particular people. There were lots of differences from culture to culture and she hoped in finding out this information she might be able to think of a good way to separate this rogue shaman from his potential army.

"Sou ka," Kou said upon receiving Miki's confirmation. There was one other person who had input, though, and it happened to be the small Fairy who emerged from Kou's bag once again. "Oi! You can't just exclude me! What if I don't want to do anything?" he asked. Kou looked at the Fairy strangely, having only one answer for the one known as Puck. "Then... don't do anything? You haven't even been doing anything the whole time you've been with us." Puck seemed to take some amount of offense to Kou's rebuttal. He flew around in a huff, flailing his arms about while working through a response of his own. "Me!? I do everything! I'm the one keeping you lowlifes in order. I'm Manager Puck!" he exclaimed. Kou maintained his strange expression, then began laughing at the Fairy. "Right... You're the manager. So, you keep us straight, and we'll handle the grunt work."

Meanwhile, the Chieftain was met with a question regarding the Lizardmen and their rituals surrounding the deceased. He sighed, knowing their methods were very much conducive to the use of necromancy in all of its forms. "Our fallen brethren are left with a connection to our homeland. The trees. Their bodies remain in the trees, with enough space for their spirits to travel between our realm, and the ancestral plane. The only exception is given to leaders, who are placed in sarcophagi beneath where we are now."

Two things happened around Miki, the first being the emergence of the fairy Puck, who claimed that he also got a say in what they did and did not do. This was fair enough to Miki, but watching the small creature's interaction with Kou gained a bit of a chuckle from the lass. She could do nothing but shake her head, and had only one thing to say. "I'm not a lowlife..." she commented absently before going on about her way. It seemed beyond this, the Chieftain had to explain the burial practices of the Lizardfolk. Apparently, they chose to return their dead to the earth, while maintaining their connection to the lives of their ancestors. Putting them into the trees likely helped to fertilize the lush forest around the marshes. That being said, it did leave their bodies very open to manipulation of all sorts. Miki recognized this, and her eyes widened gently at the news. The biggest saving grace being that at least the Lizard Kingdom's Chieftain, received special burials all in a single place so they couldn't simply be accosted in the same way. "Sou ka... that's good to know. I'll do my best Chieftain..." Miki said choosing not to comment on how outlandish she found their burial practices. At present there were quite a few things which needed her attention. She needed to figure out where bodies were being taken from currently and devise a defense for that area, maybe even set a trap. Beyond that, she also had to figure out how the Chieftain's son figured out necromancy a lost art... there were still many pieces to fit together in this puzzle of the world.

"Lowlife!" Puck exclaimed with a forefinger aimed at Miki. Since it seemed Kou had acquiesced to his demands, Puck was satisfied to let the Adventurers do what they felt necessary. "Do what you want, but always listen to the teachings of Puck the Supreme! You'll be alright, my proteges!" he said, following this claim by flying back into Kou's bag. The Chieftain nodded to Miki, then looked to Kou. Now was the time to carve their path, and it seemed the blonde lass had her own ideas. "Me too. We'll find out what's going on, and we'll deal with it... yeah?" the lad concluded, shifting his gaze toward Miki.

Miki looked at the small fairy boy and laughed. Puck seemed to have some rather grand ideas about himself, and Miki didn't have the heart to break the lad's immersion. "Hm, I suppose I'll take protege over lowlife..." she said in an apparent good humor. About this world though, Miki had a few ideas, and she would explain them a bit. She turned and looked in Kou's direction and gave him a few of her thoughts on the matter. 'There are a few different kinds of necromancy. If we figure out which form of it the Chieftain's son is using, we'll likely have an easier time overcoming him and his army. The only way I can think to look into it, would be to check some of the disturbed graves though...' she communicated directly to Kou.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast