Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairy Forest

Miki listened to what Kou had to say. His newest claim was that at some point, they'd have to fill the spot in the middle of the room where they were standing with the poisonous gas which filled the area. "Hmm, you mean by the time the puzzle is over it will be on this spot?" she question. Miki was a bit more sure than she had been previously. If anything her work within this labyrinth was securing in her mind the idea that there was a rune in mind. And even if she couldn't name it off the top of her head, if she thought through the situation while the lad solved the puzzle she was sure of what she could accomplish. 'I wonder if I should try and dissipate the gas or purify it or if this is another puzzle which wants me to realize a certain outcome by what it is. Whatever the case, I assume I have a limited amount of time to figure it out...' the girl's mind began racing through all she'd learned this day, as she tried to come up with an answer to their problem. "I'm not sure just yet... but work on the puzzle... I'll figure out how to keep us safe from the miasma."

"Well yeah, definitely that... but..." Kou paused and stepped closer to the puzzle. He knew exactly how to solve it, and it was rather easy since he had the memory of it... yet that itself was the problem. "This is a puzzle, but it's more like checkers. You jump a piece into an open space, and the piece you jump over gets removed. If this represents the room around us, and every space with a peg has poison on it..." As he spoke, Kou turned to face Miki and pointed toward a particular space on the board. Specifically, he brought attention to the center space... the only one that was empty both on the board and in the room, and the only one he could move the first piece to. "I don't think this puzzle is meant to test whether it can be solved before somebody dies or not. I can crack it as quickly as I can move my hand from piece to piece, but there will only be two moves where we're in the clear, and those two are within the last four moves of the puzzle. On that fourth and final move, this should be the only spot filled, and it'll stay that way. We need protection the whole time I'm doing this."

Miki took in the explanation given about the nature of this puzzle. By her own approximation it was stated that he simply required protection for the duration of the puzzle's completion. The statement that it was more like a game led Miki to believe that this would be something which could be used to their advantage. In this moment she understood what was needed of her and went about making a rune on the ground beneath them. A rune shaped like a capital letter 'Y' with an extra branch in the middle. and it would go on to glow a sage green color as all things of her magic did. "Algiz should cover us for the time necessary for you to make your moves even poison can't penetrate it..." she said with a gentle nod. This was the best answer given the information she had, still there was something about this room which made her consider more runes beyond the one which cast a bubble of protection around the pair of them in this moment.

Understanding more precisely what sort of situation they were in, Miki went about forming a Rune to protect them. Though the Rune seemed magical in nature, Kou couldn't get an exact feel for its sturdiness with his senses. However, since Miki made it, he placed enough faith in her to believe it would stay. "Alright then. Give me just a bit," he said as he took the first of pegs from the right side, second from the centermost position on the board. He skipped it ahead to the center, causing the peg jumped over to vanish and do exactly what he thought with the room around them, flooding the area around the pedestal with miasma while removing it from the space to their right. Seeing this occur, he began moving as quickly as possible without going past his capacity to remember the puzzle. More and more spaces began to clear out around the board as he worked, and the overall atmosphere of the room was becoming lighter because of it.

Miki watched as the lad began to clear the puzzle, and though he couldn't tell the exact nature of the rune, it was indeed doing its job. The gentle glow of it was maintained even as he moved more and more miasma about the room. The entirety of the space was clearing but even as it did so, the concentration in the space they were in became great. The more she watched this the more Miki understood given the laws of nature. In order to preserve or recreate the rest of the room, they would have to sacrifice the space they were on, while trusting in the integrity of the puzzle maker that they simply wouldn't die. Having realized this, and as they got closer and closer to the proper time in which Miki would have to do something she considered drastic, she decided to seek the lad's guidance. "I realize fully what I have to do here. When you're done placing the last piece I have to destroy where we are standing," she said, as if she needed further confirmation of this, she could see the rune Hagalaz in the floor in the dead vines and leaves. "Well, I mean I can destroy it on my own... but I am not sure what will happen. I suppose it's a matter of faith... in the processes of nature. Decay and destruction are just as important as growth and life," she said thinking of this she found herself saying the thing that her teacher had told her about the rune of force destruction. "Don’t try to fix what we should break before it breaks us."

Kou continued working on the puzzle without concern for their surroundings. He was focused on the task, but not exactly in deep contemplation. As far as he was concerned, Miki could handle the actual threat of their current platform while he finished. However, Miki spoke after a bit of observation, and what she said was something rather interesting. She wished to destroy their current platform when the puzzle was complete, or rather, she believed it was what this puzzle wanted from them. At this point, Kou didn't even bother looking toward the girl, though he did hear everything she said clearly. If she thought this space had to be destroyed, he believed her. A few movements later, he was skipping the final peg and leaving the only remaining one in the space depicting where they now stood. When that was done, he finally looked toward Miki and spoke in an utmost casual manner. "Go ahead," he said, having no questions at all about what she was suggesting.

Soon enough the puzzle was finished and though Kou had nothing in particular to say while she mused about the nature of this puzzle, it seemed that he'd caught everything she had to say about it. This wasn't really surprising as he'd proved time and time again that he was capable of keeping up and treating her as an equal. What was surprising though, was that even though puzzles in general were his area of expertise, he had no problem allow her to do something as crazy as what she claimed. Sure enough as if to mark this, he completed the puzzle to the point that only one peg remained in the center and this did something, there was a rumbling sound, but it was no where to be seen, so she couldn't tell what it was related to. He simply told her to go ahead with her plans and she smiled. "Arigatou..." she said softly. Truly she was appreciative of his trust in this moment, even though she'd all but admitted she had no idea what would happen when she did this thing. On the ground of this same space she drew a different rune, this one looked a bit like a slanted capital letter 'H' once she was done this rune also glowed, the hue of green which bordered the vibrancy of life and the dullness of death. In a moment the whole of the space beneath them shattered and they fell, but something of a vacuum was created and though they fell for just a second they'd be caught and pushed back up to the top of the room by revitalized vines, ones which fed on the gases of death released from this space down into the depths. 'Woo... that was a bit surprising. But... I'm really happy. This really is a good puzzle...' Miki thought about this situation as a whole. Instead of having to walk the vines themselves created a platform to lift them into the next leg of their journey. She noticed they were going higher and higher so maybe this puzzle was in all three dimensions. Up here, the vines were treacherous since neither of them could fly, they'd have to be careful not to fall down to their deaths.

Kou only nodded when Miki replied to his go-ahead. She proceeded to place the destructive Rune on the floor beneath them, successfully causing the floor to crumble and send them falling into the created abyss. A vacuum effect sent them back up shortly after their descent began, launching them even higher up than they had been originally. They were eventually caught by stretching vines from the Sacred Tree itself, left on an otherwise airborne path toward their destination. Kou balanced on the vine beneath him and looked ahead to the tree's trunk. This wasn't something he had expected from this labyrinth, but he grinned in the face of the new challenge regardless. "This is getting intense. I really like it!"

After being rocketed up higher than they had been before, Miki found herself balancing atop a vine as well. She removed her spear from her back and used it to help her continue balancing as she looked around at this area. The tree itself was quite stunning, but beyond all that, she could really appreciate the view. It seemed that Kou was also excited by the new challenges presented by this particular labyrinth and he expressed a rather interesting opinion about it. "It's growing on me too!~ Let's keep going..." she said her current mental status was exceedingly pleased, and seeing Kou happy like this, made her wonder if he really enjoyed puzzles so much that they gave him the sort of happiness she saw painted all over his visage. 'I wish I'd known someone like him before...' she thought as she took the first of many steps upwards as the vines shifted about and clung to the Sacred Tree in a manner most strange. This seemed to be a challenge of the physical variety so she gave herself over to it.

Kou's excitement couldn't be contained, and yet he was not the first to begin moving. Miki was ahead of him within moments, but when he did finally push forward, he did so with flair. The ring on his left hand saw use as the Mana multi-tool that it was meant to be, though the energy emitted from it did not take the shape of a conventional tool. He chose to make it take the shape of a gauntlet, though it was extended well beyond his hand. This gauntlet was used to reach vines at a distance and allow Kou to swing from one spot to another while blurting out a reference. "Got myself a Devil Bringer!"

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast