Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwargon

"Yeah, I don't either. I've had my fair share of reckless experiences in games, but I'd rather not die for real now that we're here," Kou said, confirming his primary reason for even agreeing to form a party with someone else in the first place. Now that they were a team though, he was content to put some actual effort toward cooperative play. Miki didn't seem to disagree with this, even without that specific discussion being had. Kou had it in mind that they would both rather preserve their lives in this world, as it was very likely not the video game they may have initially thought it to be. Moving on, Miki picked up on the topic of their flank approach by suggesting that Kou take the front line of the assault. He took no issue with this, but the girl continued speaking as if to explain her reasoning. When she finally finished, he shook his head, then looked to her in the same strange way he'd done during the beginning of their visit to Dwargon. "Iia, iia. You don't have to explain yourself. I'd rather have taken the front anyway, but I didn't want to leave you with something you weren't comfortable with. I'm trying to be decent at this whole teamwork thing," he claimed.

Eventually, the pair would reached the external wall after a slight detour to lead them along the base of a nearby mountain. From this location, they would be able to see platoons of Lizardmen against the battered wall, some even attempting to climb it while others ensured the death of nearby Dwarves. In Kou's eyes, this looked less like an attack than it did a slaughtering; there were hardly any Dwarves remaining. This wasn't to say that any of the Lizardmen were particularly high in level, but a very close ravine led to the realization that they had an advantage all along on this side of the wall. "Yare yare. Gowther didn't say anything about it being this bad."

Miki nodded her head to the idea that the lad might have had his own reckless experiences in game. If their first meeting hinted anything, it was that the lad had the potential to be a bit reckless. Though, Miki herself considered that this was tempered by his intelligence and ability to problem solve which she didn't think were underrated skills at all. In fact, she thought those two skills would help keep them both alive while they lived here. She was treating this as if it was a hardcore game run, and given what she'd seen of this world, she assumed that to be the truth of it. Moreover as they kept talking, it became obvious to Miki that Kou wasn't too hung up on previously established gaming issues. In fact, the way he looked at her as she explained herself made her feel strange and reminded her of his moment of staring when they'd arrived earlier. He claimed to be trying to give a try at proper cooperative play, and simply made the option hers, so she didn't get stuck with a job she didn't want to do. She thought about this and found it fair a small smile creeping onto her face. "Hai hai, I don't do this teamwork thing very often myself... but I think you are doing a pretty good job of it~" she offered as they moved on.

They began to observe the current field of battle and Miki had to say, it seemed much worse on the outlook than the Dwarf King had made it out to be. In response to Kou's assertion she could only nod her head as she studied the landscape and current positions of the various Lizardmen and remaining Dwarves. "Hm, Lizardmen practically have 'high-ground' level advantage in this..." she said looking at the levels though it wasn't as if they were really strong, much like she assumed. Instead they were doing exactly what she and Kou were planning, taking advantage of their current position and leveraging everything they could to make it work out in their favor. "I think if we manage to cut off access to the ravine, we can have a reasonable time of thinning out their numbers. If we can save any of the Dwarves that would also be helpful," Miki stated. If she was alone, she'd probably sneak around and save a few of the Dwarves just to make sure there was some extra distractions still taking place on the battlefield. But she figured that was thinking too much like this was still a game, she didn't want to risk her own life or the life of her comrade without some good idea of a payout on the action. In this case, the more people they kept to fight, the less likely they'd end up dying to overwhelming numbers.

True enough, the Lizardmen appeared to have an outrageous advantage on this front. The longer Kou looked out at the battlefield, the less he thought this had ever gone well at all. More importantly, he noted the higher levels belonging to the Lizardmen upon the wall at present, thinking them to be a greater danger to the people within Dwargon than the others would be, minor though the difference in their power was. "Saving the soldiers would be a boon, but... what about the people who don't even have anything to do with this? They'll be the first ones to suffer if those guys hop that wall." Saying this - and furthermore, thinking about it - made Kou grit his teeth. The plan they had to pick off Lizardmen from the rear was solid, but their levels were low. As such, Kou thought it was too unlikely that they'd reach the climbing Lizardmen before they became lost to the city on the other side. With a heavy sigh, he made a risky decision. "Kuso! I trust you," he said, leaping forward without another word or thought.

By summoning the Ryuuko, he was able to ride it briefly enough to hop over the ravine and be launched toward the top of the city wall. Upon landing atop the wall, the Ryuuko disappeared and Kou drew his sword, looking down at the climbing Lizardmen as he did so. "Oi! No trespassing!" he said merely to grab the Lizards' attention. A great deal of Kou's mana was poured into his blade, only to be amplified by the high-quality Magisteel imbued with the Fairy Queen's essence over the course of her imprisonment. Kou couldn't have hoped to bring forth this power in its full glory just yet, but in his very soul, he felt it would be enough to accomplish just what he needed. The Consecration ability of the Saber Class, combined with Kou's inborn abilities as a Mage and the power of this weapon's Magisteel, produced a great golden aura around the blade. Kou stabbed the blade into the top of the wall and released this power, sending fissures of Mana through the construct until a full segment crumbled and caused an avalanche beneath him. Of course, Kou's position at the top caused him to fall with the rubble as it cascaded over the front-most Lizardmen, but his ability to wield a sword also demanded just enough footwork for him to be capable of keeping balanced atop the falling rocks. Kou may have sacrificed the top of Dwargon's wall on this end, but the important thing here - as he saw it - was that the Lizardmen would see a very immediate setback to their advancement on this side of the attack. In a matter of moments, the rubble from the avalanche would be falling into the ravine where the Lizardmen were making their approach. 'That should cut them off on this end until they can make it back up. It's your show from here.'

Picking off the Lizardmen from the rear was indeed the best plan of action. Even so there were quite a few variables that didn't sit well with Kou. Miki also understood these, but had the idea that fixing one problem would lead to fixing them all. Kou stated before any action was taken that he trusted her, and this made Miki's eyes widen just a bit. 'Really?' she thought almost stunned. Never before had any random person in game or out of it, just taken her word about something. It was almost refreshing, but it put her in an interesting position of anticipation to see how her plan worked out. 'Well, if he trusts me... I guess I have to make sure I don't let him down!' the girl thought affirmatively. But before she could act, she got to see a bit of the recklessness she'd expected of Kou as the lad took their shared mount across the ravine attracting all attention to himself. The Ryuuko he used to reach the top of the wall disappeared soon after, but Miki wouldn't use it to ride. She watched just long enough to see the start of Kou's maneuver, the magical power he used in his sword was used to cause an avalanche the likes of which she'd never witnessed before from the crumbling of the outer wall. 'Sugoi!' she thought but for the moment she didn't have time to consider it, she had her own end of this bargain to keep up.

Miki didn't use the Ryuuko to cross the ravine, she used her new weapon to vault herself over the opening with supreme athletic ability. 'He set the bar pretty high, and he trusts me...' she mused. And with everyone looking towards the commotion being caused by Kou, she was able to land softly on the other side. Her first movements took her immediately to the side of a dwarf in a losing sword fight with a Lizardman. While the full concentration of the Lizardman was on the dwarf, Miki, ran him through rather quickly with her weapon. A swift jab through the center of this creature's being would leave it surprised before the final blow to the dwarf could be delivered. And soon it would fall to the ground forward as the dwarf scurried out of the way, surprised by his good fortune. As it hit the ground Miki, gave her weapon a quick twist to ensure her work was done, and then rather swiftly picked up her spear to throw it, using the grips right below the blade to balance it. It would make contact with another Lizardman with is back to her, some forty yards away, but she'd then quickly close the distance to retrieve her weapon, slaying this one as well. Several more actions of a similar method would be taken and by the time the rocks of the falling outer wall settled completely, a handful of dwarves previously engaged in battle would be free of them and several slain Lizardmen would be seen among the commotion, but Miki herself would be invisible and planning her next strike. Though she didn't have anything particularly flashy about her movements, she was very precise and reliable.

As Kou descended, he spared a few glances toward Miki to keep track of her location. When he confirmed the path she was traveling, he kept his gaze away, thinking he wouldn't be able to keep track of where she was with his eyes anyway. 'Alright. Advance stopped, front of the path is blocked off a bit, clearance coming from the back. Still, I used too much Mana. This would be easier if I didn't have to just copy Mana Pulse,' he thought while hopping from one stone to another, descending into the ravine to meet the front of the Lizardman pack. "Yare yare daze. Guess I'll make it count," he said aloud. With that, he was on ground level with the horde. The sword in his hand continued to glow bright as he met these forces, and a few flashy swings emitted crescents of light magic to maim and dismember the Lizardmen one by one. A few managed to bypass his ranged attacks here and there, but even as they swarmed him, they were individually felled by direct stabbings to the torso. All the while, Kou watched his experience bar grow and grow toward the next level.

A quick glance in Kou's direction let Miki know that he was descending into the ravine. She wasn't worried about him, but she also didn't want to abandon him to his fate for too long either. With this in mind she kept moving about her current battlefield. She used her spear with great efficiency, slaying Lizardmen as they were distracted by the newly freed Dwarves. Of course, even as she did this her eyes kept shifting about the battlefield, her keen eye looking for openings to exploit. Lizardmen currently invested in battle, ones who charged headlong towards the Dwarves, those who aimed to free themselves from the rubble of the fallen outer wall of Dwargon. All would meet quick jabs of her spear and their lives would end rather quickly. Her kill count increased rather quickly adding to the pool of shared experience she and Kou gained.

Strangely, she began to meet a bit more variety in her Lizardmen one she aimed to attack pulled up a shield in one hand and carried a blunt club in the other. It blocked the jabbing motion of her weapon making Miki's eyes widen slightly. She scanned it quickly, finding that it was currently level 10 and armored as such. "Sou ka, I'd hoped to have a bit more time before one like you appeared," she muttered, seeing it called Lizardman Shielder. Of course, she didn't rightly stop moving, her body disappeared from sight as she aimed to move past this creature only to have it turn to face her as she reappeared, using its shield once more to block another attack. But once more it was pushed back, a roar escaped the creature and it swung the large club down to have it collide with Miki's head. Miki's eyes widened, but she didn't back down from this, instead she pushed forward, stepping into its space while shifting the grip on her weapon. With a firmer grip and within the creatures' personal space and used her unstoppable spear skill, to push into the Lizardman's chest. It seemed surprised by the suddenness of her movements and her ability to react in the moment of his attack, but it was done, and a gush of blood escaped its chest as it was felled, gaining the girl enough experience to push her into the next level. 'Woooooh, that was a bit risky. Way more risky than anything I'd normally do, but...' she looked around. Apparently the death of the Lizardman Shielder, was enough to scatter quite a few of the other lesser ones. Beyond this, the dwarves were also taking advantage of this situation slaying a few themselves. At the very least, the ones immediately surrounding the walls would no longer be a problem. 'I wonder how he's doing?'

In the midst of the slaughterfest, Kou reached level 9 by the collective efforts of Miki and himself. 'One more. I think we shold be able to get there,' thought the lad while continuing the slaying of Lizardmen. The Lizardman Shielder was not the only special enemy in this group; there were a couple of others scattered about. Kou eventually stumbled upon one of these as well, titled 'Lizardman Saver' when viewed. This reptilian demi-human was en route to the fallen Shielder near Miki, but Kou was close behind. "Oi! Eyes front, soldier!" Kou called out, grabbing the attention of this Lizardman wielding a strange, curved staff. He fully intended to strike down this enemy with a single slash, but a quick use of the odd staff swept Kou off his feet. He hit the ground, saving himself from an overhead swing by rolling away from the Lizardman.

Before he could rise properly, Kou was forced to raise his sword in a defense effort against another overhead staff strike. "Whoops! Gotcha!" he said with a grin. A slight turn of his blade showed its flat side to the Lizardman, and from it came a blinding flash of light magic. A successful blinding of his opponent allowed Kou enough freedom to step back and rise in a single movement, before ultimately driving the tip of his sword into the Lizardman's head. Just like that, two of three leader figures in this group of Lizardmen were down. All that remained was a certain enemy titled Lizardman Avenger.

Both of the adventurers had successfully taken down a leader from the group which was attacking the eastern wall of Dwargon. Having done this though, a strange reaction was to take place on the battlefield. A large armored Lizardman towered over several smaller ones. The deaths of its comrades encouraged it to finally move of its own accord, and when it did it was a sight to behold. It had a spiky mohawk of spines down its head, dark green and blue scales dotting its face, and piercing yellow eyes with slits for pupils. Its cry scattered several of the small creatures on the battlefield and drew Miki's attention in its direction. 'Lizardman Avenger, huh? That doesn't sound good at all...' she thought as she scanned the creature. Obviously, it was the last of the boss creatures of this area. Even so, it was clearly the most daunting. Miki didn't think she could take it alone, but she figured it was likely she wouldn't have to. Instead of focusing on the potential negatives, she moved forward, making sure to take out any stragglers she found along the way to the champion.

Though there were still other Lizardmen of the normal variety in the area, it seemed both Adventurers were focused on the final boss-type monster. This one boasted an intimidating presence first and foremost, but it also seemed to be growing more powerful whilst towering over the corpses of its fallen comrades. Such was the power of the Avenger Special Class, even going so far as to rile up the remaining troops around it. Kou figured it would be best to regroup with Miki before addressing this problem directly, so he raised his sword overhead and produced another flash of light magic to blind the remaining Lizardmen before he hopped to the female Lancer's side. "That guy's gonna be a problem. He's the second Special Class I've seen so far. I don't even know what you have to do to unlock Avenger."

Soon enough, Kou would be back by Miki's side, but not before blinding another set of enemies. She nodded her agreement to his assertion that the creature before them was quite the challenge. "If I had to guess, I'd say he got such a class by killing people who kill his comrades..." she said firmly. Beyond this the point about this being the second special class he'd seen this day made her brow raise slightly. "Oh? He's your second too? That means three for this area..." she concluded. Still it was growing larger by the second further confirming the idea that its power was made greater by the deaths of those around it. "Still I am not sure of the best way to approach it..." she said watching restlessly as it raised above its head two axes which it apparently used as weapons. "I wasn't able to sneak up on the titled one I killed earlier, had to do something kinda risky to strike it," she explained, because when taking on their next opponent she thought it best to be honest about her capabilities.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast