Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantis

At long last, he'd finally reached the end of the puzzle. Well, not quite the end of the puzzle, per se, but the final piece he needed. The holder of the cornucopia granted him three final glyphs, along with an additional showing of... exactly what he was to decipher. In that shining moment, Kou slammed the base of his palm against his forehead. He knew there was something familiar about this pattern; it was a puzzle he'd seen so many times, and one with a great deal of history behind it. He was actually quite interested to know that Miki, or rather, Kimiko, knew of this particular puzzle. Even more could be said about her ability to throw one together with such flair.

"Sugoi~" Kou muttered as his finger rose to pet the creature on his shoulder. "Such a good puzzle. It feels so... nice." He simply didn't have another word to describe this one. There was something else there, but it was a thing entirely unfamiliar to the lad known as Yugi, and was therefore missing from Kou's ability to acknowledge. Moving on though, it was time to begin thinking, and what better way for him to begin than... slapping his own cheeks with his eyes focused on the layout before him.

"Now it's Puzzle Time!" he said, counting the spaces meant to be filled with letters. With the total number in mind, he began pacing about, mentally recalling the glyphs he'd seen, while muttering to himself and his Familiar. "Right. Four and three showed up more than anything else. Those are the major vowels. At least one has to be A or E, probably both. Given the rest of this puzzle... it's probably a location. Nine letters first. Atlantean, most likely. Three As, one E down the drain. Also two Ts and two Ns, so that has to be one of the other characters knocked out. That leaves three more of either A or E, one more letter appearing twice in the second word, and two more letters that don't repeat."

Kou had returned to an old habit of blabbering his way through a puzzle, all part of the process. All the while, his brain was shuffling through letters to find placements and potential words to produce the second row. "Biggest chance of a vowel coming second. E," he spoke randomly throughout the thinking process. As his mind raced, his lips slowly curled up into a toothy grin. With a quick snap, he both startled the Familiar on his shoulder, and came to the shining conclusion he'd been building toward. "Atlantean Reserve!" There he had it. All he had to do at this point, was make the trip, which he'd do with increased haste thanks to the Familiar's mobility bonus.

As Kou worked through the puzzle he'd been given Miki absently petted the small creature now in her lap. She'd changed her seating posture ever so slightly, so that her gaze was settled back over the kingdom of Atlantis with her hood down and blonde locks blowing in the breeze. "Hm, he should be here pretty soon, assuming the rest of it didn't take him too long..." she murmured to herself. As one last thing for the lad, she'd placed one final arrow, this one at the front of the building pointing straight up, so he could join her on the roof of this building whenever he made his way to it. Strangely she didn't feel nearly as anxious as she had before, or rather it wasn't in the same way, now she was simply excited. She wanted to see what he had to say, how he'd respond to her particular brand of puzzle making as someone who liked puzzles. A small smile appeared on her face in the moment, as she realized that as herself she was more attached to the idea of making him happy than she'd normally care about being. Maybe after today he'd finally get it, well at the very least, she supposed she could put herself out there. Which legitimately wasn't something she'd ever thought she'd have to do, but here she was, in a new world, trying new things... like trying to get a boy's attention.

Soon enough, Kou reached the tall building known locally as the Atlantean Reserve. He would have sought entry, but there was another arrow pointing him up, presumably to the top of the building. What an interesting location for the end of the journey. "LEEROOOOOOY!~" Kou called out as he approached the side of the building, summoning the Draconic feline mount to carry him up the structure. For the beast named Xerxes, alternatively Leeroy, it took only a few leaps to hop high above the building's peak. Afterwards, Xerxes disappeared once more, leaving Kou to descend onto the roof. "JENKINS!" he shouted during the grandest of landings, complete with a flourish. Kou seemed happy as could be as his left knee barely avoided touching the roof during his landing, though he quickly rose and spun about before stepping forward. "Ashikaga Kimiko does puzzles? I'm surprised."

The call of Leroy brought Miki's attention downward, she chuckled in the moment, because this was about what she expected from the lad, though he could have taken a more conventional way to get to the top, she enjoyed his enthusiasm. Soon, she got to see their shared mount make easy work of the side of this building, flying over head with Kou dismounting, all before disappearing and leaving the lad to land before her atop the roof. It was quite a solid display of flourish and grandeur and Miki could do nothing but clap her approval. Soon after she'd hold up all ten of her fingers giving her score for the dismount. "That was pretty flashy, even stuck the landing without hitting the knee. 10 of 10," she chimed in a joking manner. Of course, there was another point to be addressed, the idea that she, in her previous life did puzzles, which made her shrug just a tad. This was further confirmation that all forms of the lad knew who she had been before she became part of this world. She couldn't really consider that strange though, because she was aware at least in a passing manner of her status as a school idol. Even so, it was quite obvious that her interests outside of school were likely very different from what most would have thought about her. "I don't really do puzzles per se... I have been known to throw together a cipher or a scavenger hunt from time to time though..." she said with a small smile. "Admittedly, not normally both at the same time, but I figured single ones would have been a bit too simple," she said softly. "How'd I do?" she asked with excitement in her eyes, she was quite keen to have this lad's opinion about his recent experience and couldn't help but be excited to hear him out.

The end of the line for this puzzle couldn't have been more clear than it was in the moment Kou saw Miki, the puzzle's creator, standing there in the flesh atop the Atlantean Reserve building. He stepped forward, still beaming from the puzzle itself, as he met her introduction. "Sankyuu, sankyuu~" he said, waving his arms about and bowing to the '10' rating he'd received on the landing. Once he was in a meter or so's distance of Miki, he stopped, arms akimbo as they began their discussion.

"Iie," he said to the notion of her 'not really doing puzzles' so to speak. "You can't say you don't do puzzles when you make one like that. There's too much feeling in it to claim anything else." True enough, with all the puzzles he'd done in his life, Kou... or rather, Yugi, had a strong sense for the meaning behind puzzles. This most recent one felt something like an invitation, open and welcoming in some respect. As for how Miki did with it, well... Kou took a moment to stroke his own chin in thought. "Hmm. Well, if it's complexity you were going for, it was a little on the simple side. That's not what's important, though. As far as finding the puzzle within the puzzle, if that makes any sense, it... might be one of the best I've ever seen. Definitely the nicest while having so much depth beyond the puzzle itself. Bonus points for the extra exploration, and there was all that lore weaved into it as well-"

And, so began another of his rambling sessions. "It's really rare to see so many things thrown into a puzzle, but it was pulled off brilliantly! A couple of laughs here and there, a weird mix-up of lore decisions made in Atlantis, all coming together to make a giant roller coaster that distracts the brain from the fact that it's even doing a puzzle. That's what's always missing in the normal sorts. Puzzles made just for the sake of being puzzles don't have any real mystery to them, they're just numbers. One with so much stuff added into it, with a bit of brain work to top it off? That's a puzz-" Oh. Kou's eyes widened, and his face reddened just a bit. He'd come to realize he was rambling on again, and not to himself this time. That was awkward. "Eheh... Gomen. I got carried away. Anyway, yeah, good stuff."

It seemed the lad was indeed in a good humor after the completion of his puzzle. Miki herself seemed to be pretty pleased, how could she be anything but considering how happy the lad was. The only thing he had to say at first, was that it wasn't possible for her to deny doing puzzles, given the puzzle she'd put together for him. Her eyes widened slightly, but she supposed if he said that sort of thing she'd have to believe him. It wasn't that she didn't like puzzles nor that she wouldn't complete them if they were put in front of her, she simply didn't find them to be something she went after on purpose. Beyond all of that, she hadn't found them to be properly fun in a long time, not since she'd done ciphers with her dad, and moved on to share such puzzles with her childhood friend Tsukiko. She did nothing but give a casual shrug to the notion before they moved on to the more important part.

The critique of her puzzle came with the idea that it was indeed simple, she'd expected this both given what the lad was used to and given the only other person she'd bothered doing such things for. But strangely this wasn't a real negative. According to Kou the puzzle itself was a puzzle within itself making it better. He claimed the extra lore bits and exploration were also a plus making it one of the nicest he'd completed. He went on an entire tangent to this point that Miki was left to watch and listen to without much shame at all. Her eyes got wider and she truly didn't know what to say in response to all of that. She'd done something simply thinking he might enjoy it a bit, she didn't expect praise really, though she might have been seeking it subconsciously. Beyond that she found it cute that he could throw himself into liking something so much, his further embarrassed reaction afterwards when he cut himself off even, brought a genuine smile to the lass' face. "Iie, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had fun learning the lore stuff while I was fixing the Runestones. I just wanted to share that with you. But I didn't want it to be boring or anything..." she mused, a tiny bit anxious as she removed from her cloak the prize for the day. "Anyways, Happy Valentine's Day!" she offered the lad the box she'd been holding onto, it contained a singular white chocolate in the shape of a Rune, it was a almost an 'M' but it had a deeper meaning to it. Like most things she'd done this particular day. She'd been preparing herself to do a bit of explaining and would likely take this as an opening to do so.

It seemed his ramblings weren't much of an issue at all. That was a positive note, at least; he could relax on that matter. Either way, his words rang true. The fact that Miki enjoyed putting the puzzle together was another thing he could consider a plus. Of course, that was also something he could tell. A puzzle with such quality of meaning had to be at least entertaining to craft, lest it fall apart midway through its inception.

Oh, but there was another thing that required, even demanded, his immediate attention. A box was produced, accompanied by mention of Valentine's Day. Kou's eyes widened further before a hesitant hand rose to take the box. He had actually managed to forget what day in the festival week it was. Now, he was simply dumbfounded to have received acknowledgement of it in... this way. "I-..." What was there to even say? More importantly, was there blood remaining within him to fill anything but his face? No telling. There was hardly a thing to say, or do, aside from opening the box to see what was inside. White chocolate was the answer, but the shape of it was curious. He knew it to be a rune, but they weren't familiar enough to be recognized by the Saber-Class lad. At least he had a diversion from the reaction he was unsure about. "A rune?"

Miki was left to watch as the lad accepted he box she'd given him with a bit of hesitation. She wondered if he really understood what she'd meant, maybe he didn't maybe she'd have to explain it a bit further. But, his reddened face and inquisitive nature were something else to deal with in the meantime. It seemed that he was quite surprised by the idea that she'd done such a thing in the name of this particular day, but she'd realized perhaps because of the goodness of this avatar, the 'liteness' of her own personality that her feelings might not have been obvious, nor seemed as focused as they were in her own mind. When asked about the rune, a habit of Miki's or rather of Kimiko's would become rather obvious. The lass would open her mouth to speak and give the necessary information with relative quickness while she turned that single lock of hair in her right hand in a manner most anxious.

"Ah, yeah... it's... Ehwaz... which is the rune which hardens. But... Runes aren't really that simple, like it also means trust, and symbolizes a balanced bond between things, so I could use it to like make my spear do more damage, but I could also use it to balance out a Bounded Field with two really different but equally good other runes involved," she mentioned, she was used to talking so her words didn't falter instead she just said a lot, as if trying to get it all out of her own head. "But... it's more than that... Runes are applied to Druids as part of their baptisms. It turns them into walking Runestones and lets them use 'Free Magic' so Ehwaz is mine..." she mentioned lifting her bangs to show the same mark on her own forehead, glowing sage green. "Well, I didn't really know that when I chose it, it was one of those weird sets of questions you are asked sometimes in games. And it was the one that ended up assigned to me but it really works... because it's... equally shared and freely offered," she mentioned the explanation of it that she'd been given by the rune master because it was the one which let her understand herself the best. "I thought, I'd offer it to you... because I like you... I mean like I actually like you, more and differently than I like my friends," she said looking up her own face flushed intensely but she was already so deep in she thought maybe it wasn't as clear as she thought it had been. "But I realized that might not have been as obvious as I thought it was in my head so... I figured I could show you with the puzzle and you'd understand..." she mentioned seeming more nervous about it than she should have been. Maybe he already understood, all the bits that had gone into the puzzle were chosen with the intention of putting herself out there, and of inviting him into a different kind of equal partnership with her. She'd put a lot of thought into making this her grand romantic gesture, because she wasn't sure if she'd be able to properly explain her own feelings as such. So, she'd decided to show them in a way she didn't think could be misinterpreted.

Good, good distractions. They could just talk about the rune this chocolate took the shape of, and everything would be fine. Miki could talk, and Kou could move past the awkwardness of the moment. Alas... that was not the case. Miki did talk, yes, but as she continued, that awkward topic returned. Kou understood the basic application of the Ehwaz Rune; that was simple enough. This secondary purpose, and it being tied to Miki's being as a Druid, though...

'What?' he thought. This wasn't making any sense. Sure, balance and all that being at the core of the Miki Avatar was sensible enough, but the meaning of this rune being offered in a metaphorical sense was another matter entirely. The meaning was clear enough. It was Valentine's Day here in Atlantis, and this was... a confession. Suddenly, that missing purpose behind the puzzle became clear, as if a hidden piece were materialized to complete the overall image.

Equally shared, and freely offered. What an interesting concept, yet all too foreign to one Aiba Yugi within the form of Kou. Reaching into the box, he removed the rune-shaped chocolate. It had to be that as well, that disgusting confection he avoided like the plague. He held it between his forefinger and thumb, turning away from Miki while staring at it... until his gaze found the open city of Atlantis. He supposed some sort of answer was necessary, but what could he say? He'd be lying through his teeth if he said he hadn't given a great deal of consideration to Miki, even Kimiko, in such a way. Alas, that consideration always came with a hangup. Perhaps, though... there was a saving grace.

"You know, I've been thinking lately... every now and then since we made this Party. Do you think we're really stuck in this world? Is this just what life is now?"

'Shit! I said it. I shouldn't have said it!' The thought that immediately surfaced in the mind of Miki was the doubt of Ashikaga Kimiko as it tended to surface. She talked herself into and out of thousands of actions on a daily basis in her regular life. Hell, she'd almost talked herself out of doing this very thing a thousand times before she actually made that first rune appear where it was. Her mind went full panic mode, she couldn't really help it and that same lock of hair was twisted around her fingers, back and forwards around and around. 'I could have kept it all in my head. That isn't much of a reaction... well I guess I couldn't really expect an anime style reaction or anything. But...' she berated herself but she still really wanted to believe this could work out, she'd talked herself into believing it could really work out. As such she was left to wait upon the lad's reaction. Eventually the ramblings of the girl's mind would be broken by words spoken by Kou.

The blonde's brow furrowed deeply as she considered the answer to the lad's questions. He'd apparently thought about it from time to time. Since they'd made the party he'd wondered if this was simply their life now and to that she had only one real answer. "When I bought the game, I went to a game store and had the grandmother of the guy who worked there warn me that the game was cursed and everyone who played it disappeared. She wouldn't have been so freaked out if people could come back," she said remembering the night she'd set out on her grand solo adventure. Also incidentally noting that even if she didn't believe it initially, she'd definitely bought a cursed game and intended to play it regardless of the consequences. "Besides, if Kaiba and Hisakawa are still here, there probably isn't a way back. Not, that I'd take such a thing in the first place..." Miki said though she hadn't meant to say the last part aloud, it was quite true. She was the type of person who wouldn't care if she could go back she likely wouldn't. There wasn't a single goal Kimiko had in life that she couldn't accomplish better and grander in a world full of magic. Besides all that, this world gave her the opportunity to have something she hadn't managed in her actual life.

Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast