Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantis

Diva followed along behind Seriri, albeit slowly. Time would pass from there, while Akashi remained atop the throne. There was so much wrong with Atlantis. A spark, however small, had been lit within the Dragonoid toward the repair of this kingdom. At the very least, he could acknowledge Seriri enough to offer his aide where necessary. Or, perhaps... it had just as much to do with Miki. Whatever the case, the time would soon come for moves to be made, deeds to be done, and changes to come about. Akashi awaited these times while Diva was cared for. He awaited, specifically, the return of Seriri and the plan of Miki. "The winds are shifting," he said with utmost nonchalance as his head leaned further into his hand.

A few days passed since the last time they were all in the throne room together. Miki had gone off on her own for a bit, to do some discrete exploring under the hood of her cloak. She entered from below and pushed back her hood with a triumphant smile on her face. She'd discovered some very interesting things around. Seriri also entered as well likely to be accompanied by her newest charge. Freshly dressed and at least fed a bit though his food choices were limited just a tad. She heard the words spoken by Akashi as she climbed to the top of the throne and aimed to retake the seat she seemed to like most. "Damn right the winds are shifting," she said affirmatively. "Alright, I know what the plan is now... and I've picked up something to help you out as well, Tsu-chan~" Miki said having done quite the bit of exploring over the last day or so. She'd open her cloak and produced a book which had some strange markings on the front and seemed to have been chained to something previously she floated this down to Seriri.

"I took a casual stroll to the library and found this in a 'forbidden section' overseen as property of someone called the Banker," she said watching the entirety of the throne room. "I happen to know after my conversations with the Tavern Keeps that the Banker is the big force behind the Kingdom. He controls the information disseminated, he controls the entirety of the market, and he's in charge of all things related to living within the Kingdom," she said with a quick nod of her head. "If you need a business loan, you deal with a banker. You need things for your home, you deal with the banker. You need to check out books from the library, you deal with the banker. Nothing in this place happens without his approval or his ability to profit," she said. "Which means that people he doesn't like and businesses he doesn't like, don't thrive. People who don't go along with what he wants get thrown to the wayside, and if you don't go along with what he wants, you have no options... thus all the listless adults we've seen," she said giving all the information she had. "Those are the people willing to live and die on their morals and the only market men worth their salt. They are where we start..." she said decisively. She'd decided that building the businesses discarded by the Banker would be a surefire way to catch his attention and it would make him come to her. The book she'd given Seriri was a book of maps outlining the underside of Atlantis including the secret passages which contained the Guardians of Atlantis as well as maps of several underground dungeons directly under the Bankers dwelling. "Kimi this is where I got my weapon from and this... this has to be where the Guardians are, he has them?" she asked with wide eyes. "He controls the lands they are on, but he can't use them, he's a Mer-Shark... according to everyone I've talked to, he doesn't have the magical ability to use them, and he can't force them to activate with strength alone. When you claimed the staff, he figured you couldn't be overthrown so he simply stayed out of sight," Miki explained. With all of this information, Miki's plan would be obvious to anyone who could put it together from the basics, but she'd still explain if she was asked directly.

At long last, the moment had arrived to reach the climax of their trip to Atlantis. Miki had taken care of discovering the identity of the man behind the funds, while Seriri brought Diva in a more suitable state for living a more normal life. Akashi had made a few small discoveries as well, only through fitting pieces together over the course of the recent few days. "This... Banker. If he has this much power, there's nothing left for the queen," Akashi stated, while more bits of information regarding the underground of Atlantis were revealed via tome. He expected more of the area, especially understanding that it was being used by the Banker still. One wouldn't do such a thing without it having a greater purpose than they revealed. It was all fine, though; that was part of the reason he sent Seriri after Diva, whose Mana rivaled even Akashi's own from what he could tell. "Whatever you plan on doing with the Banker, his secrets are necessary. Seriri..." he said in an effort to grab the queen's attention, seeming to have suddenly acknowledged her by name as well. "Your staff can't control the Guardians, can it?"

"Exactly, it's also why there was no fear of repercussions. All figured if anything bad happened or if they got caught doing anything, the Banker would bail them out..." Miki said with a bit of finality. "Of course, someone did a pretty good job of reinstating the fear of her power..." Miki said with a chuckle. Apparently it was the underground's current prerogative not to get caught by the Queen doing anything lest they risk their lives. In fact, her moves in that alley had caused a bit of a divide within the working forces of the Banker, they claimed the man couldn't protect them from the Queen and as such aside from his money he was losing a bit of his pull over the people. Her understanding of the underground of Atlantis had become full depth. She fully understood everything she needed to about the way that the Banker did business, and because of this, she'd knew exactly what she'd do to completely decimate his business. "He'll tell us everything he knows... whether he dies or not, isn't really important to me. I plan to destroy this disgusting business of his and his will to thrive and he'll tell us everything himself. That's how those types are, he'll brag and let go of everything long before he needs to be dealt with..." she summarized.

Soon enough though, Seriri was mentioned directly and her eyes widened at this because she didn't remember when the lad on the throne started addressing her in so direct a manner. As for what she intended and if she could control the Guardians herself she simply sighed. "Iie, the Staff can't control the Guardians. According to what is here, those have their own Artifact and it takes an Atlantean to wield it. Since I wasn't born here, I don't count anyways..." she said her eyes shifting ever so slightly towards Diva. It seemed that it was likely he would need to be the one to do it. But in order for them to potentially get to the Artifact they'd have to be willing to enter the caves beneath the Banker's lands from a pretty far distance. "Diva's magic skill outweighs mine by a great deal, and I am certain he's from here... he might have an easier time of trying to use them. At the very least if he can claim the Guardians the final shift will be made."

The Banker would be dealt with in due time. Miki alone would be more than enough to take him down; that much, Akashi was certain of. With that, the only standing issue was Diva. Akashi didn't believe the other male would be incapable of handling the power of the mysterious missing Artifact, but his willingness to take it was in question. Even Akashi had a difficult time seeing through to Diva's potential motives. Seriri at least gave the final bit of necessary confirmation that no, she was not capable of controlling the Guardians. That left but a single option. There was, however, one minor issue with what Seriri said. She addressed Diva's magical potential in comparison to her own, but from what Akashi could tell, she was quite mistaken. "No. It's just of a different quality, and yours is missing its focus. You'd probably never be able to use whatever the missing Artifact is, but don't assume it's a matter of quantity. The only true difference is that Diva here is the only True Atlantean," he clarified. At long last, Akashi rose from the throne, holding Miki with his right arm as he did so. "Time to move, then?"

Akashi's words about this whole thing made Seriri look at him strangely. He claimed that the difference between herself and Diva wasn't a matter of quantity but of quality and focus. She supposed she could see that, as she didn't really have anything to work for until very recently. Perhaps she could be a bit better, but he was quite right, about the nature of Diva compared to everyone else. "Sou ka," she looked to Diva in this moment and wondered if the lad was really up to this particular thing. "Diva, we're going to get this... and maybe you can use it. It could help you... I'll look after you while we're out. There won't be anything to worry about," she said, knowing that artifacts had all kinds of hidden extras and maybe this one might be something only he could use and thus something that could benefit him in extra ways. This group planned to take down everything that made Atlantis bad, it was possible he could only benefit from going along with them in the moment.

Seriri had made this offer, and Akashi had stood carrying Miki along with him. Miki's own eyes had widened, she hadn't expected to be carried. It wasn't like she hadn't been separated from him for part of this day. Strangely though, she found herself rather comfortable in this moment. She didn't even bother telling him she could or would rather walk, because at present it wouldn't be true. "Seems like it..." she said. She had plans to ruin a business and they had plans to topple an empire and recreate it in a better image.

Diva raised his head, turning it toward Seriri. He did his best to try for eye contact, but he couldn't quite manage it. Even so, this woman had his trust. If she claimed she would look after him, he'd believe her. Though... he still seemed more fretful than he should have, even for being such a broken individual. There was still something to worry about. Once again, he had to bear witness to that which he'd rather avoid at all cost... but he'd seen worse; he could at least manage going. Besides, the woman in his company had done him a great service before, so he could have faith that she could - and would - do so again.

While this conclusion was reached, Akashi lowered himself to the ground again, Miki still in tow. The girl was interestingly without protest this time around. This was something noted, but not commented upon, by Akashi himself. She'd finally come around. "Where to first?" he asked of the blonde, apparently content to act as her chauffeur and guardian during her dealings.

Diva wasn't able to respond to Seriri, but he did at least try to meet her gaze, and the Queen appreciated that more than anything. In the meantime, a now carried Miki knew where they should be going first, and it was somewhere quite important. Her first step in causing economic chaos was to get moving the businesses shut down or not even allowed to thrive by the Banker. Given this, she'd had her Tavern Keeps spread the news about a certain new Merchant willing to back the works of any person denied access by the Banker. "Well the first place we need to go is the Market. I have a deal to make with the listless craftsmen and merchants of Atlantis. They should all be ready by now, to do what they should have been doing a long time ago," Miki said with a great deal of certainty. The pillow that was her weapon drifted along behind her and Seriri looked onward at the pair as if confused by what the lass was thinking. She knew that Miki knew how to make and break businesses, but to be working with the craftsman already made it seem like the lass had been much busier than she'd mentioned.

When they arrived at the market they would see a strange gathering of people right at the entrance. There weren't many occupied stalls here and there weren't many transactions taking place. Instead at a stand still was a group of several dozen human looking Merfolk of various levels of skill. Some bore obvious traits, some were thin, some carried the tools of their crafts with them. And some even had upon their backs the wares they had which they couldn't rightly sell within the Kingdom. All looked on to see the arrival of this Merchant willing to take on the Banker in his business monopoly within the Kingdom and some even held out hope that they might be able to go back to earning honest livings.

The moment Miki completed her clause, Akashi's grip tightened just enough to keep her steady. His movement was immediate, and their arrival at the market was no less swift. Craftsmen littered the front of the building they landed before. Akashi paid no heed to any of the mortals wielding their tools and wares. He was here for one purpose, and that was to accompany Miki. If there was killing necessary, he would do so without hesitation, or even thought at all. In fact... even if there wasn't a necessity, there was a very real chance of him doing so. The one thing that wasn't up to chance was his grip on the blonde. At no point did he intend to release her; he'd go on carrying the lass as if she were a possession of sorts, all while she conducted whatever business she had with these people.

A great number of merchants watched as a Dragon suddenly appeared before them. Many took a single step back some just stood quivering ever so gently where they stood. All the while, it wouldn't be the Dragon who spoke at all after arriving. Those who managed to regather themselves, would have their eyes immediately drawn to a blonde lass cradled in the arm of this Dragon. "Alright. Let's keep this short and sweet. My name is Miki, and I am a Merchant. A real one," she said reaching within her cloak she revealed the golden stake which tied her to the Merchant's Guild officially and gave her the rights to operate a business within any Kingdom that was part of the continent. This included Atlantis. Many of the craftsman had their eyes widen. They'd been told by the Tavern Keepers that someone might be around who would fund or front their businesses. They didn't expect a traveling human merchant, who was willing to go against the will of the Banker.

"Now, I know that you all have been kept from your trades and your money making. I have no intention of doing that. Beyond that, if you will run your business' in my name under a short-term contract. I'll protect you from what you're scared of. No harm will come to you as long as you live up to your end of the contract and I'll do it for only a nominal fee," she finished this part of the speech and she garnered many skeptical looks. There was something else though a small light of hope that seemed to be in the eyes of some of the individuals. One such man with his entire trade on his back looked to the lass and said aloud what all the others wanted to know. "What's the fee? And what happens if we break the contract? Will we lose our homes, our families? Will you take pieces of our bodies as collateral?" his words were firm but there was a softness to his speech. Almost like he knew a tale which made him not enter into any contract with the Banker at all. Miki turned to look at him and her eyes widened with the realization of exactly what had happened to Diva in the sense of business. "Sou ka... I can see why that would be a problem for all of you. I don't conduct business like that. If you can make money, you should make as much of it as possible, whenever possible. You don't do that by damaging goods, bodies or spirits. If you break the contract you lose your protection that is all. And if I break the contract you owe me nothing. That is the basis of business. The trade of goods or money for other goods or money. I don't profit from fear, only from work and will. What I offer is a contract for the duration of my stay in this Kingdom. Afterwards you will be able to establish yourselves as you wish. No more no less," she said with a level of decisiveness. "As for my actual fee, it's 20 percent of your profits while you work for me. 10 percent if you are willing to run your own business with only my protection offered and none of my expertise," she said. There were murmurs among these men as they considered this offer. "You'd also be allowed to determine the market value of your own wares, but you are required to pay any employed by you living wages. So, long as I get my cut of the profits you can buy, sell and employ... at your own leisure." Miki aimed to established a free market economy in direct contrast to how the Banker behaved. Doing so quickly would cause the man's profits to drop drastically even over the course of a single business day. Beyond that... it would also gain Miki a very reasonable profit margin, for something she was going to do, regardless of the situation at hand. They didn't need to know she completely planned to destroy the Banker. She was offering them a livelihood earned by their own hands.

Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast