"Rengoku?" the blonde questioned without so much as a moment of hesitation. What was this lack of formality? Had it been determined that he, the greatest Oni to live for generations, no longer carried the power to rule this land? There was still so much for him to do─ so much victory on the horizon in this seemingly endless faction war. Being questioned by Shuten as if she were his commanding officer was... strange. In truth, she always should have been, and he knew that. How could he even think to accept her, though, given the negative connotations applied to her final moments in the past? Such weakness could not be tolerated in this era. "I said what I said. You come back from the grave looking like a little girl, and for what? Just to uproot my rule and try your hand at success again? Your time is over, and nobody wants it back."

"I'm sure you will," said Akashi when Tamamo spoke of doing her best. With that said, he released his hold on her wrist, as if granting her full clearance to do as she pleased. What would she do with such freedom? Well, her following statement gave the implication that there would be an unknown passage of time prior to an action being taken. "Another wait, is it? Dragons aren't made of patience. What good will it do me to avoid having what I want right now, and burning anything that gets in my way?"