Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryozanpaku

"We do. It's a pretty big airship, lots of rooms... It's basically a mansion in the sky, like Grimoire Hearts' base or someth─" Kou paused in the middle of his explanation, realizing he'd spoken a reference that may or may not be understood. The longest he'd spoken with anyone before this, or realistically at any point since reaching this world, had been with an Avatar belonging to Kimiko. It seemed he had gotten a bit too comfortable, and started simply saying things without considering the likelihood of his conversation partner being clueless. "Er... yeah, big flying mansion thing."

Reprehensive was the vampire girl, having questions as to whether the group would accept her or not. Kou hadn't been so confused since arriving here at Ryozanpaku; had she really not realized yet? The male sighed, having heard enough of this already. Their group consisted of numerous types with plentiful oddities, even including a bard Kou himself chose to take as his Apprentice Holy Knight. A vampire girl with some restraint wasn't going to put a damper on their group dynamic at all. "You just drank out of my neck twice, and that's what you're worried about? Ikuze," he said while walking past the blonde, making use of his magic to strengthen the very same wind corridor he conjured earlier. At its current output, they could all simply jump into it and rise through the hole above. "Vampire, Dragon, Ghoul, Ogre... nobody cares what you decide to be. You're trustworthy, so we'll take you in."

"Grimoire...Hearts?" there was curiosity in the lass. She was a bit of a nerd by most accounts but she didn't in general move outside of her own realm of media. Hers of choice being movies... Alezia was a big movie buff. At the same time as the curiosity was expressed Tamamo started thinking aloud just a tad having her own sort of nerd moment. "Hm, it is a lot like Grimoire Heart's... I wonder if Kaiba has something to tell us. Tsu-chan is quite obsessed with that series and its tragic love story~" she said with a teasing quality in her voice which shifted to sound more like the other lass at the mention of tragedy. She'd make sure to poke that at Kaiba the next time he decided to burst into a room she was in unannounced. There was a bit of a comment from the lad after he thought about what he said, apparently it was a big flying mansion which seemed fine to her over all. She felt a strange amount of acceptance from all of these people. Even the purple haired girl who she was quite sure didn't like her at all a few minutes prior to this.

She looked at this lad as he made his claims and walked past her towards that air corridor. It was true, he'd allowed her to feed herself twice, but that could have just been to free her. Perhaps others had their own ideas about who should and shouldn't be allowed to live with them. Perhaps it was only shallow? They'd only just met. But... Looking at him and the others interact she felt very deeply that it wasn't an act. She wasn't going to wake up later and have them change their minds. She padded along after them, and Tamamo fell in line beside her a starry portal opening out of which came strangely an umbrella, the sort carried by ladies of the Japanese courts to keep the sun off their skin. "Here. It's still light out wouldn't want you to get burned or anything," she mentioned knowing that most vampires had a weakness to sunlight. Given the amount of time the girl had spent without food, she figured she might be alright for the now setting sun, but one could never be too careful. Alezia looked at this gift with raised brows. "I don't burn in the sun, but it does irritate me still. Arigatou gozaimasu. I'll return it when we get there..." she offered which made Tamamo look at her strangely. "No need. Keep it, it isn't like this is the only time you'll go outside~" Tamamo teased gently. Alezia felt no ill-intent. This lass would really just give away any random item if she thought it would be helpful and she didn't expect it to be returned. What a weird group of people. "Oi, we need wings. I'm tired of jumping and walking and well everything!" were the words of Shuten, who complained as they aimed to depart. Her idea was a fairly sound one perhaps someone could do something about it later.

"..." Kou fell silent when discovering that the female Kaiba was an enjoyer of the series Fairy Tail, which Miki clearly knew as well, unlike their new vampire comrade. If Kaiba Seto had made any connection between such a series, and the ship they possessed, he'd be set up for a solid laugh later. "I will die if a guy like Kaiba is into Fairy Tail. Also, tragic? Don't tell me she's shipping those two? Well... I guess that's refreshing either way. Most people can't even appreciate the series past the 'maybe incest' thing those Dragon twins have going." A bit of a tangent was almost guaranteed when such topics came up, and apparently Kou was content to have this one. He wouldn't dawdle long, though. They could move on now, at long last, and get themselves situated before departure... though not before Shuten found something to complain about.

"Lazy! I put up an entire, badass wind tunnel, and you want wings? Give a guy some credit, and take what you get, Loli Bum!" he exclaimed. With that, Kou was the first to test the wind corridor's strength by jumping into it. His excitement to be done with this place was growing... but they were not done quite yet.

Roughly three days passed after the vampire and wyrm were freed, and the Orochi slain. In that time, Ryozanpaku's great tree underwent an incredible change. It had now become a large sakura tree, and there was a manor being built around it. The same lad who previously sat in the tree, a player possessing an Avatar by the name Rikuo, had taken charge of the entire city while its faction rulers took their individual segments. One might wonder why the adventuring group remained for this, and the answer was simply... for the sake of festivities. Efforts had been acknowledged, and residents of Ryozanpaku decided to bring back a very old custom that had been ignored for a very long time. Of course, they had to honor their saviors in doing so. What was that custom again? According to a local Itachi running through the streets at present, it was...

"The Lantern Rites! Starting the Lantern Rites!"

It seemed a minor nerd moment would be happening and Tamamo was all for it. A chuckle ensued as she shook her head from left to right. "I would probably also die. And yes, she has a thing for the SaNe. I could see how they might have had something going in the past, but I'm pretty sure bar some huge revelation nothing can really happen with that..." mentioned Tamamo. In this very moment, Shuten managed to look pleased. 'Good good, let the nerd flow through you. And keep you from being upset that Nii-san fed the lolihag...' the girl thought though it was all still good natured. "I know I know. The forums are so full of people who were upset about that. It's like no one even knows about their amendments and earlier works. Unmitigated hate..." mentioned the lass. Ah but all good conversations like this had to be reserved. They couldn't just have a full blown nerd based conversation in front of others. At least they hadn't gotten too far into it this time. They'd have plenty of time to chat soon enough anyways, and she really and truly couldn't wait for that.

Some three days and immeasurable amounts of work later... a festival was starting up. The whole of the streets seemed to be decorated in soft light paper lanterns and an Itachi was announcing the start of the Lantern Rights. Along with the many festivities a certain Kitsune known as Kuono had helped to organize this event and as such she'd offered her tea house to the entire female population of their crew to get ready so they could meet up with the boy's at the start. Walking up to the tree was Tamamo, clad in not her normal robes but instead a Yukata in deep blue with open lotus flowers as their main design motif. They were joined by a light weight obi around her waist tied in a bow. She'd piled up all that hair of hers and clipped it into place with golden bells and long sticks giving her a rather festive appearance. "Ara ara, they pulled this off pretty nicely~" she said aloud. It would be one Shuten-doji dressed in a short Yukata meant more for those with the child sized body to speak next. "Hai hai, it's pretty good too. I hadn't been much involved with the before parts of one of these the first time. I understand why you guys were so happy to just relax," she mentioned. "Um-hm... still is this really nice compared to how it was before..." mentioned their newest edition a blonde lass sporting a white child sized Yukata as well with a deep blue obi tied around it. Sticking out over her shoulder the most shrunken form of the white wyrm Sekris which made it look almost ornamental and helped Alezia feel more at ease.

Ah, festivities. No further quests would be done here, and the additional time they spent would be for the sake of relaxing... and nothing else. Kou, on the other hand, had been making use of the few days it took for this festival's setup to end. The Avatar called Giyu, as well as the previously-created Avatar named Licht, did not seem to suit his preferences. He spared the Source of the latter, but the former was broken down entirely over the days it took to do so. Half of Licht was useful for what he had planned, and so was a criteria he seemed to meet by battling in such a sacrificial manner against Orochi.

Medium-length black hair with teal undertones, pale skin, and amber eyes. A white, sleeveless shirt with a black collar, dark purple pants and boots, black and dark turquoise gloves with gold decals. A white and gold sleeve on his left arm, and his right arm left bare to reveal green markings akin to a tattoo sleeve. These features all came together throughout the time of meditation taken to create Aiba Yugi's newest Avatar, a culmination of Giyu, Licht, and an homage to Kou's lost attire. Reserved, logical, and with a general visage that reeked of determination, this new form sat atop an adjacent building to observe the center point of the festivities. How interesting─ they were using the foundation of this unfinished manor as a walk-on podium of sorts around the sakura tree. It seemed most lanterns were also being released from the very same area.

Seeing the residents below, he figured he was quite underprepared for the festival itself. His attire fit the normal setup of a place like this, just as Kou's former ensemble did, but... there were so many traditional garbs being donned by so many creatures, humanoid and otherwise. Oh well; he'd never been one to dress up for these sorts of things anyway. It was surprising enough that this Avatar had hair that came out looking somewhat presentable.

As a certain half of the dynamic duo of saviors hung out on the roof tops, his female counterpart held in her hands a lantern. "Hm, I wonder where the boys are?" she mentioned. The small blonde girl and the purple haired Oni looked at each other. Both of them realized that the Kitsune likely didn't care for the placement of any or most of the young men from their dwelling. No, she was likely looking for one i particular after releasing her lantern into the air. "Tama-nee~ I'm sure Nii-san will show up whenever. No need to worry~" the lass jabbed which made the Kitsune's golden eyes widen. She was pretty sure she hadn't asked about him specifically so why was this assumption made? Embarrassment welled up in the girl's soul which was felt by the vampire in her presence who nodded in a secret signal to the purple haired lass. "Fufu~ I knew it~ You guys are too easy!~" exclaimed Shuten as if she won some sort of prize by being right about her questioning.

In a traditional short Yukata looking a bit like a child was a certain male from their ship. A legendary lute in his hands he played the tunes of the area with gentle motions collecting coins from those who tipped as he walked along. "Waaah~ Minna! This festival is great!~" he chimed, in that melodious voice. Though Tamamo or rather Ashikaga Kimiko always found bards annoying in games, she'd grown to like this one just a little. "Ara ara, asking for one of the boys caused one to appear~" she mused with happiness.

While the bard enjoyed himself by playing for the masses, another new addition to the group was walking nearby. The young man who shared his space with serpents, apparently a player utilizing an Avatar named Iguro Obanai, had jumped aboard after everything was said and done. He sported a grey yukata and white haori, and of course the white snake typically found in his presence, as he joined the one called Jaskier. "It's good you're having fun, but must you take money from people at a time like this? This is the first Lantern Rites festival in Ryozanpaku since... generations ago," he commented, having no true idea how long it had been since this festival was last held. Even the length of the recently-ended war was a mystery to himself, and so many others before him.

"That shouldn't be an issue. There will be a lot of changes here soon, so everyone is happy to part with old possessions in favor of a new beginning. That's part of what this festival is for, after all," said none other than Rikuo, the new lord of these lands. Jaskier may have been collecting 'tips' from various youkai, but none of that mattered. Rikuo himself had been here for quite some time now, and never had he seen so many smiling faces pass by this tree. As he looked around now, it seemed people were even appreciating the tree itself. Good; it was always a thing to be admired, even though so very few knew the reason it existed. One day, knowledge would spread... Knowledge of how this tree represented the birth of Ryozanpaku itself.

"What other time is there? If they give we take... the world keeps spinning~" mentioned the young bard. He had a very pragmatic view of his earnings. And yes the land had been war torn not too long ago, even so, that was more of a reason to accept the generosity of those who thought to give. Jaskier's words made Tamamo chuckle. Perhaps at some point, Iguro would need a lesson on the sustaining and growing economies. Spending money was always a good time, and the better paid the lowest members of society were, the more society prospered. Alas, Tamamo wouldn't be the one giving this lesson the newest leader of the area and the one all the others would submit to Rikuo said essentially the same thing the Kitsune would have said with a bit more cheer than she would have managed.

"Oh? Rikuo seems to understand. It's no wonder she's latched on to you... that's a great attitude~" mentioned the Kitsune who gave a cheeky chuckle before continuing to wander about. "Ah, Taishou~~ you don't have to talk about me like I'm not here! I am only doing my jobs," mentioned the lass known as Tomoe, an Oni with two red horns and pale hair. She was dressed as the rest of the young women were, seemingly walking around with the young Rikuo to make sure he didn't wander off too far. "Hai hai, though it's nothing you can't handle~" mentioned Tamamo, as she allowed her eyes to wander searching of course for the one person she wished to see.

Another young lass with dark colored hair that pinked at the tips came closer as well, settling in near Iguro though she was petite she wasn't as young as the vampire in their company. Once seen with a piece of bamboo in her mouth at all times, she now simply hid her lower face being her sleeves feeling a bit exposed. "I am pretty sure if they didn't want to pay him he wouldn't be paid. Now... Iguro-sa go make your wishes!~" she murmured those pink eyes of hers intense though her outward appearance didn't show that she was an Oni as well. "Fufu~ what an interesting spot, it's nice to see the place so happy. And it's been about a 1000 years and the bards weren't half this good back then~ Now who's drinking with me?" asked Shuten as she obviously planned to find a comfortable place to hold up and drink for the duration of the festivities once she released her lantern and wishes.

"Yare yare," said Iguro. The economical matters were one thing, but his morals were just a bit different from the others. One could say Iguro, actually, was a tad too kind. He simply didn't want to take from those who had little, even if they offered. Naturally, there was a chance that they were simply caught up in the festivities as well, or perhaps even being too nice themselves. No matter; the young Oni in his company had the right idea in mind. He had a wish to make, and a lantern already prepared to join others in the sky. "Hai hai. Bring your lantern, we can wish together," he said while reaching out to claim the small Oni's hand, content to take his leave of the others.

Meanwhile, Rikuo latched on to a very intriguing offer by none other than the Shuten-doji of legend... in a new form. "Hoho─" he muttered, his attention grabbed without fail as the drunkard Oni offered a question to the masses. If there was one thing the Nurarihyon appreciated during all the time he spent in that tree, it was a bit of sake. When presented with the opportunity to drink with another, and an Oni at that, there was no way he would even think of refusing. "If you'll have me, I'll share a drink with you. Do go easy on me~"

Lanterns sent off by two people at once had multiple purposes, as the male Tamamo presently sought had heard when talks of the festival first began. Sometimes, it was an innocent act amongst friends who would share vibes and hope their companions' wishes came true as well─ such was the case with Iguro and the Oni, Nezuko. Alas, there were many other potentials... and among them was an old tradition observed by lovers whose wishes would come together, or not at all. The current Avatar of Yugi had been made with all the memories possessed by Giyu, as well as a few others taken from Artifacts around the city. The latter form of shared wishes was a strange ritual─ one with the potential of sacrifice.

Over a thousand years ago, the tradition began with a journeyman whose return was never certain, and whose bride-to-be had always enjoyed their annual lantern release. That man decided to gamble before his departure one year, when the couple would both wish for his safe return. Instead, he prepared a different wish while remaining separate from others and the festivities. While the woman awaited his arrival to the ceremony with the intended wish of safe return, he remained on the outskirts of the city. Would she give up hoping for his arrival, and abandon her wish as a result? This was the question in that man's mind all those years ago, and the answer he received was... no. Instead of giving up, the woman searched all of Ryozanpaku until she found him at the edge of the mountain, his identity concealed from all but she who knew him best. Only she could have found him, and only she could have recognized him the way he was. Once they were together by the time of the setting sun, which eventually became the ideal time to release the lanterns, they made their wishes together... in solitude.

All that time, the man knew one truth. If their bond was strong enough, there was no need for two to make the same wish. His absence during the festivities tested that bond, and allowed him to believe two separate, yet related wishes, would be far more powerful for them. The woman wished for his safe return as intended, and he ─ believing from the bottom of his heart that her wish would come true ─ wished instead for their wedding night to be the start of something new that they could both cherish for eternity.

This Avatar knew the identity of that couple. In his Source, he knew just what had become of them in the end, and as he sat upon that roof... he gambled, just as that man did 1,000 years ago. . .

Iguro was indeed too kind, but Nezuko had been around these people a bit more than she'd alike to admit. Knowing this... she knew no one here would actually take advantage of anyone and because of her connection to Tomoe, she'd seen the Kitsune and elder Oni working hard to help mold the new economy, these pennies being tossed to the bard wouldn't be missed by anyone in the new open markets of Ryozanpaku. Iguro in the moment reached for her hand and Nezuko held his with a small blush appearing on her face. "Hai good vibes!" she said as they walked along planning to release their lanterns together.

In the meantime, Shuten's open invitation to drink was taken by Rikuo who claimed he wanted the purple haired oni to take it easy on him. "Fufu, I don't take it easy on anyone Ku-chan~ We'll drink until you pass out~" she mentioned with a hearty laugh. All the while her deep purple eyes narrowed as she noted Tamamo still socializing and her brother nowhere to be found. Of course he was like this... she hoped the lass could forgive his constant lack of punctuality. Whatever the case she simply chuckled pausing before the pink haired lass and offering her a gift. "Oi oi, Nee-san doesn't look like you'll be joining us this time. Take this then... have your own party. That's some of my best stuff though, so don't go drinking it alone~" she said in a ploy to nudge the lass towards finding her brother. 'Baka-nii, always keeping a girl waiting~' she thought as she wandered off to take Rikuo for drinks. Tomoe went with them knowing lots of drinks would be poured and even Alezia was enjoying snacks and chatting with Jaskier. "Ara ara, Shu-chan when you say it like it. It seems pretty pushy... Arigatou na~ Drink a few for me!~" And just like that the girl looked over the fresh sakezuki set, made from the bones of the Orochi and opened a portal for it. Once it was put away she held her prepped lantern in one hand and moved among the crowd searching for the face of the man she actually wished to see. 'Yare yare, this isn't like last time though... I'll find him myself this time~' she mused keeping her eyes peeled and her senses open.

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast