Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaer Morhen

Kou was prepared to step out ahead of Hikari and do something about halting her sudden fury. The barkeep she spoke to hadn't a care for her qualms; he would not associate with the man who held that title. Before he could do anything, though... that bard returned to speak with the pair. With a sigh, Kou turned to face this blue-haired lad. Why did it have to be the bard? He was a fan of music and all, but bards were always so annoying in video games. Perhaps this one could be different. Keeping that potentiality in mind, he decided to follow suit. "Tch! Fine. I'm not sure what a bard bad enough that people will pay him to shut up can do to help us out, but I'll hear it. It's better than these people insisting I've butchered a place I never heard of. What is it you want from us?"

The blue haired lad had a large grin on his face once outside the watchful gazes of the towns folk. He turned ot the lad and the Demi-Human who'd followed along still in a huff and spoke very frankly. "To be perfectly honest, they have heard a prophecy about a man who bears the Medallion of the Wolf, who will kill dozens in the Town of Blaviken for no reason other than to sate his blood lust. It's a terrible stain on your reputation, even if it isn't you they are talking about..." he said a trifle too amused. "So, I have a proposition. I am a bard, and I know things and hear things... " he said calmly. "I can act as a go between for you in the nearby towns and accompany you on your adventures. Then, I'll write an epic of your journey and it will sway public tidings back in your favor. So, long as the jobs are done well...I can't paint you as a hero of Humanity. No one will even think about the Blaviken thing when they see you," he claimed.

"I should say too, I'm not actually a bad singer, my songs they don't have any real content... and that doesn't work here. We could really help each other out!" said the lad with a swift bow. "Please!" This amount of begging as strange, but the lad really couldn't adventure on his own. And after being kicked out of several kingdoms for... seducing with his honeyed words several princesses and Queens, it was only right that he actually do something to gain favor again.

"All that, over a medallion? That doesn't make sense." Surely, there had to be other Witchers wearing the Wolf Medallion; this was once their home, after all. Perhaps there was something more to the connection than that. He'd been referred to at Kaer Morhen as White Wolf, which he assumed was certain to become his identity as a Witcher; it always seemed to work that way.

The bard had an offer that could be mutually beneficial. Would it be, though? That was the question in Kou's mind. He certainly needed some sort of go-between for the sake of collecting coin, but he wondered if it would be better to make use of Hikari. No, no; he'd rather have her alongside him. "Fuck," he uttered once more, jerking his head left as he did so. "Fine. So we don't starve, get us some work, and maybe I'll manage something worth writing a song about."

"Since prophecies always have some truth here, people believe them... superstition reigns supreme," the lad said. He was quite right. In a magical world where anything was literally possible, believing in someone who says they've seen the future is something that can barely be considered anything more than listening to the news would have been back on their home world. After speaking such he waited, it seemed that he might not get anything out of this situation. This man seemed a bit gruffer than normal, but because of this, he had faith he could produce a nice song based on his adventures. His coming swear was something which the lad didn't expect, soon after he acquiesced albeit with a great deal of skepticism obvious in his voice. Or maybe it was sarcasm? It didn't matter! This blue haired lad was about to get exactly what he needed. "Wooohooo! You won't regret this!" he said before giving a rather foppish bow. "I'm Jaskier, and it'd be honor to accompany you on this journey..." he said.

"This guy is gonna get murdered..." Hikari said. But at the very least with a go-between she wouldn't be forced to do it. She didn't like playing nice with people who talked trash about her brother, and was more likely to end up in a fight than anything else. "Whatever, it's fine I guess, but these people won't deal with us, and we're trying to get a meal and get to work..." she said. Jaskier as he was called took a deep breath. "I am not going to be any use in a fight, I did also just get paid for doing nothing so, a couple of silvers would be more than enough for a decent meal for you two in the next town over while I prod my connections for some information?" he offered two of the silver coins from his earlier point in the day in his open palm.

"Of course it does. Don't understand something? Put complete faith in the first person who sounds like they know what they're talking about," he said, seeming to feel a particular amount of disgust about the topic. In truth, he was repulsed by the concept. His own father had been the sort of fool to misguide others who weren't in the know, simply for personal gain by having a bit of charisma at his side.

That was enough thinking about that, though. They'd reached an agreement, and he'd been given the bard's name. Jaskier... how strange. Though he agreed with Hikari that such an individual wouldn't last by himself, he merely decided there would be more work for him to do. "Kou. Keep your coin, Jaskier. Just show us to the work, and be on your way. You don't seem like you have the skill layout to deal with monsters at all..."

"Okay okay, nice to meet you," said Jaskier, he withdrew the money he had. He too understood the problems that Kou had with the blatant acceptance of random prophecy. Even so, in a magical world, such things were in general expected. "Come along then, when we reach the contact. He is pretty... unreasonable. But he'll pay for good work," said the lad who approached after a long walking journey a small farm which bordered the foot hills of the mountains on one side and an descended towards the seaside cliffs on the other. It was a remote place, seemingly out here all on its own and within it dwell a single farmer and his family. The stout man came to the front of the dwelling with a stern facial expression. His children had seen the bard approaching and as such he'd meet this being outside. No way he was going to be let inside the farm house. "Jaskier did you bring me someone to take care of the problem. I told you, I will not return a single thing you left here until you do!" he exclaimed. A creeping smile appeared on Jaskier's face. "Yes, yes. This is Kou. He's a Witcher, I'm sure he can help you... he will still require payment." he said without looking directly at the man.

"Oh? Brought a Witcher, they always tell me missing farm animals isn't their line of work! Whatever!" he exclaimed seemingly frowning. "Something keeps stealing my goats. The others keep claiming its just some buggering idiot. But I haven't seen anything like that. It doesn't leave tracks and it only comes at night when no one else is around. It even breaks into the barn and out without being noticed. If that's not magic I don't know what is..." claimed the man. "Find out what's been taking my goats, and I'll make it worth your while... I got a gold coin I don't have much use fer. It's yours if you do the work proper." he said without further ado. Everyone in this place really sounded like an NPC from a video game, which was the only thought on Hikari's mind.

Following along behind the bard, Kou found himself mulling over what sort of quest this would be. Surely it was likely to involve monsters, but there were too many options to count. Monster species were more plentiful than any other in this world. He only hoped it was one he could deal with in his current form. His sword was not made of any sort of silver, so it had no bonuses against monsters. If he wanted to be effective against a stronger variety, he had no choice but to either rely on his magical abilities, or create some sort of concoction to coat his current blade in. It was quite a bit to consider.

When they reached the farmer, the portly male seemed to consider it strange that a Witcher agreed to help him. It made sense; Witchers in lore were about their coin, and cared not for the jobs which weren't confirmed monster cases. The farmer even offered him an entire gold coin for the work of discovering what robbed him of livestock. "Gold?" he questioned aloud. "That's a lot to pay for something like this, but I think you're right. That does sound like a monster, and no regular one at that. Being honest, I'm just glad it doesn't sound like Drowners, given how close we are to the sea here. Maybe a Griffin? Who knows; I'll find out. Take a silver out of that payment, get an inn for the night and stay away from here. Use whatever else from it you need for food, and to recover whatever you can from what's gone missing. Your problem will be fixed by morning. Got me?"

Apparently, Kou thought the offer of a gold was a bit too much. The Farmer could disagree, but why argue something in his favor. "Alright kids, wife... pack it up, we're going into town for the night!" he exclaimed. A group of small children clambered out from the house seemingly excited and barefoot while being half dressed. None were taller than knee height and all seemed to be pretty excited. The man's wife also came out and gave a nod. She was a youngish looking young woman with brown hair and thick eye brows, but soft eyes, though they were beset by bags. "A night where I don't have to cook, it sounds like a vacation," within a few moments that woman was back in the house with all the children with her. And when they exited again, each was dressed, with shoes. The woman wore a bonnet and each child marched behind her like it was a grand adventure.

"Alright, you have free roam of the property then. Fix our problem and I'll give you what's left from the purchases," said the man. And with that he left with his family following suit. Hikari stood with her hands behind her head seemingly amused by the whole situation. "So, we stalk some random thing that's been stealing farm animals?" she asked of her brother. If this was all there was to his plan, there was hardly any reason to have involved anyone else, aside from perhaps fixing up his reputation, this didn't seem to need any extra bodies.

The farmer had an entire family to protect - a wife, multiple children. That was enough motivation to get the job done, but upon seeing the children themselves, Kou quirked a brow. The second time they left the house, they were all fully dressed, but... why would they be barefoot otherwise? "Hmm..." This was going to be a worthwhile quest to take, one way or another. He only hoped for something a bit challenging, but not ridiculous in any way. He wanted to test his abilities, but he didn't want to waste too much time before returning. It had already been a week, and Kou doubted Miki's task would take so long.

Once the farmer and his family were gone, only three remained. Kou wasn't sure how Jaskier would hold up, but he understood that the lad needed to be nearby for the sake of whatever song he'd be writing. "Should probably get some distance. If it doesn't show when anyone else is around, we'll want to keep lookout from off the farm. It should work out; I'm pretty sure I've got low-tier Archer eyes right now. Let's go," he said, moving toward a small cove not far from the farm itself. He'd be waiting there, until whatever manner of creature showed itself come nightfall...

Hikari followed along with her brother, only to have Jaskier trailing along behind. The blue haired lad looked a bit like a tourist, gawking as they made their way up to the cave, only instead of going there, he'd take a stroll down near the beach hiding among the lighthouse where he'd have a clear view. The Demi-Human girl for her part in this seemed unbothered but she still had something to say. "Well, that is fine, I can also hear everything within a pretty good distance. I'm sure between us we'll have no problem taking out anything that approaches too quickly~" she mentioned her own skills having been honed through practice. With that in mind she continued walking but strangely she had a little more to say. "So, is this just sketchy to me? Or do you get a weird feeling about it too?" she asked of her brother while they walked.

Eventually she'd find herself nestled into a small cove. She took to the side of the cave, out of sight from the front of it, but in just the right place to pick up all sorts of sounds from the area immediately surrounding them. Because of the depths of the cave, she could even pick up voices from quite some distance, though not to clearly given the sound of the tide rising and falling.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast