Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Zuria Kingdom

Cador spoke of bad Karma the the joking possibility of Merlyn being half of Kolin. This made the white haired woman laugh aloud. She really was being kind, he simply wouldn't understand that kindness. "Ah, yes... divine punishment~" she said with a little chuckle. "And it's definitely the kindest thing... I do believe I explained that things I do in such spaces have waking consequences~" she said as a gentle upturn of her lips showed that such a thing was a rather amusing thought, but she'd still let him sleep for now. After all, it wasn't as if she wouldn't have access to him for the full night regardless. "Oh, so wretched, all locked up and alone~ One wonders how she hasn't gone mad~" she said referencing herself in the third person as if she were a completely separate entity. To keep up this charade she had one more thing to say, about her supposed invasion into this man's subconscious. "Invaded is such a harsh word. I was invited... I even pay rent now~" she said as if playfully mocking the idea of being troublesome. "Enjoy your normal dreams Sir Cador... I might not let you have them again anytime soon~" she said and with a playful wink she'd take her leave and allow the man his truest rest in the moment. Until of course they'd meet again.

"Indeed. Poor me, not even knowing what I did to incur such wrath from the most high," Cador chanted, sparing not a single ounce of over-exaggeration. He could be rational about matters now, though that wasn't going to stop him from the banter─ nothing could stop that. Moments ago, he couldn't have cared less about any consequences to his waking. There were quite a few scenes happening outside of this room, and he was keen to let them into the present space. Alas, Merlyn was right; there was greater purpose in keeping things more normal for the time being. "Oh, I'm sure she went mad centuries ago. She makes such terrible decisions, I can't imagine it being any other way," he said. From the looks of things, their next meeting in the material world was going to be a rather interesting one. He wondered what would come of it, but that didn't particularly matter. "Farewell, Merlyn. Next time, remind me what a good idea it would be to renegotiate the abysmally low rental fee I decided to charge you. We'll see what becomes of a dream then, won't we?"

And so, the strange meeting within Cador's mind came to an end. Soon, he would wake and go about his duties. Ah yes... he would have to start by reporting to Kolin, as per usual. In his search for the queen, though, he naturally encountered Arthur standing in the hall near the woman's bed chamber. Few words were shared between the two, but that is a tale best told another time. . .

Cador spared not the slightest exaggeration during his retort, which only garnered him further giggles from Merlyn. She was after all, rather easily amused by his antics, it as more or less a known fact at this point. They could banter and laugh at each others jokes. They could have some innuendo laden conversations... they might even take their flirting past the speech phase. She supposed only time would truly tell. "I'm sure it's there in the fine print of that rental agreement. Exactly what you did to earn that divine punishment~" she stated with a slight incline of her head. Beyond this, Cador went on to make more commentary about the 'sorceress' in the dungeon. He claimed she'd probably went mad centuries ago. "Of course, she didn't have an emotional support Knight to help out~ Poor lass," Merlyn said of her supposed craziness. Of course the joke would have been ruined if she'd tried to defend herself so she'd let this stand for now at least. "Of course, you obviously have until the first months rent is paid to figure out all of the terms~ Ja~" and with that the woman disappeared. Even in their last moments, there were nothing but jokes and witty banter between this pair.

Still, the sleeping hours of Sir Cador would need to pass, and Merlyn in the meantime busied herself with the subconscious dreams of others. She walked about as freely within the minds of others as she would have out on the streets. Hm, what sort of information would she manage to gather between now and then? Well, only time would really tell. By the time Sir Cador woke and began moving around, he'd find himself in front of the Queen's door. Behind this door, the Queen worked, strangely. She was crafting a jewel with a strange property, she intended to use to keep the sorceress from doing anything to herself or her men when the next phase of her plan was enacted. She needed to get rid of Merlyn and it was best if she didn't give the other woman any sort of chance at victory. After completing it, she tucked it away among the other jewels of her person. She felt satisfied that she'd done something about her plan, though it made her mind wander to the other aspects. She was expecting word from some other knights soon. She would have preferred to be rid of the two girls before they returned. Having them here after would complicate things. Perhaps, they could be easily gotten rid of along with Merlyn if they didn't get taken before she needed to address the next step of her plan. She supposed she could always have them killed as accomplices or something of that nature. No one would argue that the pair of girls had never liked her and thus were likely to be in cahoots with the sorceress. Yes, she could work with that. A wicked smile on her face which let the world know she was up to no good would be utterly clear, even as she opened her door to find outside of it Arthur and Cador?! Her eyes widened at the sight, how good of them to still be working so well together. "Hoh? What an interesting sight right outside my door. I didn't realize it had gotten so late~" The Queen said as a method of announcing herself. Truly she hadn't realized how long creating that item would take her, perhaps she should have alotted herself some more crafting based skills, though admittedly those were often less useful to her than her ability to manipulate men.

Arthur and Cador seemed to be having an oddly casual discussion, as if they were merely chatting as comrades-in-arms. For the most part, they were. Any matters of great importance were discussed long before Queen Kolin opened her door. In that very moment, both men fell silent. It was to be the case that any discussion happening between them, held no importance before the queen herself. The conversation ceased with haste, and both knights turned to kneel. "Your Grace," they said in unison. Combined, these two would surely create the perfect image of loyalty. Both were visually ready to serve, whatever the order may be. "Your faithful will always be within earshot, my queen," Arthur spoke. "Indeed. I woke from my rest, and could think of nothing more important than locating the queen," Cador added.

False dedication at its finest. At this point, both Arthur and Cador were, in fact, ready and willing to accept Kolin's ridiculous demands while following orders to the letter. That is... until the time came that they could finally go against the grain. This was most accurate in the case of Cador, who knew in the depths of his soul that there was no saving the woman currently known as Kolin. Arthur may have been lagging behind on the realization still, but... he would be catching up over time. First though, was the matter of their presence here and now. "What brings you out of your chambers, my queen? May we be of service?"

Two exceedingly loyal men, greeted Kolin in unison. Ah, to be the center of attention once more, she might have gotten some sort of pleasure from this kind of situation. Was it the fact that they stopped everything to acknowledge her? Or was it the fact that both claimed their faithfulness was almost worth swooning over. If she'd managed such a thing it would have been for these two. Perhaps when they were properly separated from the women in their lives, they could be shared... both suited her needs in ways her other Knights could only hope to try. "Oh? I don't know what I enjoy more, the idea that I'm the first thing Cador thinks of..." she mused. "Or the idea that Arthur has been waiting outside my door most of the day~" this woman was strangely spoiled for attention, but that made sense considering what she was like. Whatever the case both of these men were reasonable enough and loyal to her. Still she couldn't let them become to friendly, thus her statement to seed in a bit of competition between the two, whether they immediately acknowledged it or not... it'd be there in the backs of their minds.

"So eager~" Kolin stated after Arthur's questions. She supposed this pair had earned quite a bit of her trust. She had no reason to withhold what she was currently doing, nor why she'd finally emerged from her rooms. "I simply finished what I was working on, and I realized this morning's reports didn't include anything from the scouts. I am still expecting word from Hector's party, that errand I sent him on his of the highest importance after all~" she said this was mostly for Cador as Hector would be an unknown to Arthur. As for what their actual services would be worth for now... she decided she'd reward Arthur for waiting outside her door like a good guard dog. "Hm, Cador also deserves praise for, having managed to be such a good influence on you, Arthur. Sadly, I'm certain its time for you to relieve the other guards Cador. After I decide what to do with that sorceress I'll see to it you're properly rewarded," she said. Her words were spoken with a specific emphasis in mind. It was meant to make the one known as Merlyn seem even worse as a prisoner. She wanted her guards to resent having to watch her, lest they become too chummy. Sir Cador more than many others was likely to gain a soft spot for young looking or child-like women. And with Merlyn being so flat-chested, Kolin assumed she was a younger girl throwing a tantrum. "Arthur, as a reward for waiting so patiently, you may serve by coming along. I have a few more preparations to see to, and having a Knight at my side is preferable during such boring business."

If Kolin wanted to produce animosity between the two knights, she would interestingly succeed. Of course, Arthur and Colin actually considered themselves quite friendly toward one another, but... Arthur needed to get himself as close to Kolin as possible for the sake of acquiring information, and Cador had to push Arthur more and more. Interestingly enough, it would be Arthur who gave the first response to Kolin's comparison. "With all due respect to Sir Cador, it because you fill my mind that I could not move very far from your door." In response to Arthur saying such a thing, Cador chuckled. So, this was how things would be? Interesting. "H'oh? My newest protégé trying to upstage me before Her Grace? As one who owes the queen my life, I should take great offense," the Spirit Knight offered as retort. Moving on from that, there was mention of another group of knights. The name Hector was unfamiliar to Arthur in this world, though his knowledge of lore gave him reason to believe Hector was a potential ally. Cador, on the other hand, was quite familiar with the mentioned knight.

"If it is of importance to you, my queen, Sir Hector will excel. He has always been capable enough to return from expeditions in the timeframe normally allotted for receiving word. Perhaps the party will return as early as today," Cador claimed. He wasn't sure at all, but he had utmost confidence in Hector's ability. In fact, Hector was the knight he most feared being an enemy of. If that man ever legitimately sided with Kolin, things would become rather dangerous.

Kolin's praises were to be split, albeit with an obvious leaning. While Arthur was granted permission to accompany the queen, Cador was sent to the dungeons for the sake of guarding Merlyn yet again. He spared a glance in Arthur's direction that was a simple state of seriousness, but was perhaps purposely designed to appear similar to distaste. "If it pleases you, Grace. The mad sorceress will do no harm while I have her detained." With that said, Cador rose with an arm crossed over his chest. Arthur was next to rise, doing so with a content grin toward the queen. "You honor me, my queen. I only hope I can manage to make this business you have less... boring, as it were~"

Much to Kolin's expectation, the two men started showing what could generally be called animosity towards each other. Each of them making at least one claim which would make it seem as if they were vying for her affections. As the affection of all men was a thing she was after, this satisfied her natural ego, bringing her a great deal of happiness. A giggle escaped her as she managed to find the humor in this. "Hearing such dedication does wonders for my mood~" she managed, knowing that keeping the pair just friendly enough to listen to each other, but constantly vying for the top spot was the best way to make sure all of their focus remained on her, and her alone. Such a space was where one like Cador fell a bit in the rankings, as he had other things to distract him. No matter, those things were among the ones that she would be getting rid of at her convenience. Then everything about him would be able to focus on her.

What was more, at the mention of Hector, Cador seemed to have faith in the man's abilities when it came to things Kolin herself demanded. Making the claim that he'd likely return well before the time she would have received word in more normal means. "Ah, well I do have high hopes. I suppose given your track record, anyone you place faith in is to be acknowledged as a superior champion to my whims~" Kolin stated. It was her demand that everything be about her, and this was more and more obvious as she spoke in these moments. But so long as men were content to give her, her way... she had few outward problems. So the split between Arthur and Cador was a necessary one. She saw the look of seriousness which she took to be one of distaste when she gave this pair their orders. Watching such an instance gave her the information to know that much like her other Knights these two wouldn't be sharing much with each other. Keeping a wedge between different levels of individuals, kept her safe from them ganging up on her. It also made it so she was possible to string each one along without having to give them the same exact amount of attention. "See to it." she said to Cador before turning to Arthur. "Of course you will, come along~" and just like that she was off. With Arthur headed towards the western wing. This was where the messengers and birds were kept and where she would collect any messages sent forth, including secret communications she had going on with some less that reputable people. All was within her plan.

At the same time, Merlyn lay within her cell, eyes closed but with both hands resting across her abdomen. In this moment of good humor she could see where the walk with Arthur and Kolin was going. She could even see the types of things she would be saying. Merlyn had mentioned to Cador several times that she was trying to get the best endings possible for everyone, she didn't mention this included their enemies. Every step into madness was one which created another bad end for every person who sided with her. 'Hm, when all is said and done. No one can say I didn't try right?' she thought, sitting up for the first time in several hours. She rubbed her hands over her face as if she'd been properly sleeping. She knew the movements and actions of the guards around her. She knew they were afraid of her waking but she also knew that they'd not be standing around for too much longer. After all, their relief was coming.

Apparently, Kolin was as easy to string along as she assumed her followers were. Though care was required, the two were almost making a mockery of the situation around them. Positions were perfect on both sides. Cador would move on to 'guard' Merlyn, and Arthur would progress to being Kolin's entertainment for the evening. Following along behind the queen, Arthur found his mind wandering. Where was the salvation? He looked the woman up and down repeatedly, seeming somewhat somber as a result. What a waste. No matter how hard Arthur tried, he couldn't get over the impossible, yet incredible build the queen boasted. If only she'd been different, he would have joined her cause in earnest, and perhaps even properly entertained the idea of being the king to her queen.

The disappointment was hardly hidden from Arthur's face, but he doubted it mattered. His expression was longing, as if wishing for a better outcome to all of this. He didn't want to kill some woman he'd only just met. He didn't want to cause the downfall of one who didn't wrong him. He didn't even want to behave as a false servant to someone, just to meet an end goal. The Future King fell silent as his mind raced, always looking for a better solution to... all of this.

Elsewhere, the simpler guards were evacuating the area surrounding Merlyn's cell. One by one, they stepped away, as one set of footsteps drew closer and closer. There were multiple guards in place, and Sir Cador was undoubtedly fit to replace them all once again. "Yet again, I get the task of watching the mad sorceress. It's almost as bad as looking after those other ones. What must I have done to be put in such a position?" he inquired of the universe, though all in his typical humor. The few guards who lagged farthest behind managed to hear this, believing Cador hated the task as much as they did. Some would, just maybe, deliver this information to the queen herself later. . .

Kolin was indeed easy to string along. Too bad this pair had no idea just how easy that was, no one did really. As Arthur managed to look at the woman longingly she took it in stride as she did many things. Being the center of attention in this way was beyond what she wished for. As she lead Arthur towards the Aviary where she'd go through messages sent by various pawns in her schemes, she'd speak to him in a happy tone. Encouraging him in her normal manipulative manner. "Not to worry Arthur, I'm sure my boring reading won't last too long... I simply have to check on the management issues of my next seat of power~" she chimed. Of course, sharing such information was a bit of bait for the lad. It'd get him curious, then she could brag on herself by giving information about it. She could show him how generous she was in her endeavors and all the fun he would have to look forward to. Of course, she didn't intend to let him partake of other women besides her, but just knowing the kind of place she wanted to exist would exist was likely more than enough for the good sort of men she surrounded herself with. While she thought over this angle she read a particular letter and though it wasn't the one she was looking for... it was exactly what she needed to potentially fix several of the problems she currently needed to deal with.

At the same time as Arthur was about to discover the 'true' nature of Kolin, Merlyn was waking to the upstanding guard of Sir Cador. Ah, he was playing up his distaste for this moment with the men who were apt to leave such a place. She supposed she should do her part in making him look good to them as well. "Of course, I was just getting used to the quiet scampering of these ones. And I am further punished by the presence of the Whore of Babylon's most loyal and mouthy lapdog~" she said with all the venom she normally presented about Kolin. "Oh sing to me the praises of your precious queen, I need more nightmare fuel." Some of course, took notice... if both of these people didn't enjoy each other's company, obviously the queen had done well picking a guard for the woman. Her continued disrespectful attitude was also noted, she needed that as well. Just saying those words put a new imagine of the future in her head, which she enjoyed. All according to plan.

An aviary was the destination of Kolin and Arthur, it seemed. The blonde male stood at attention, as always, and the silence was eventually broken by the queen herself. She claimed her reading wouldn't take so long, but it was of no consequence to him. What was of importance, though, was progression in this failing kingdom before something drastic was done. This seemed to be a decent start to such a thing. "No matter, Your Grace. I assure you, there is no chance at all for me to be bored in your presence. There is just... so much to think about~" he said, once again abusing honesty for the sake of... well, being misleading. "If it is not so bold, though, might I ask for details about your next throne? Nothing can change my intentions for the future, but... please forgive me for being overly curious." As these words were spoken, Arthur bowed again. He was quite the respectful young man regardless, but his deferential nature had been helping him out in this adventure thus far. As such, he had no reason to change a thing about that. All he had to do, was add a bit extra. "Besides─ your voice is quite soothing to the ear. Hearing more of it could only be a good thing, no?"

Cador put on a show for the straggling guards, and Merlyn joined by adding her own bitterness. It was only natural that things keep going from there. "H'oh? Mouthy again today, are we? Let's see if I have a tale for you... hmm. Well, in spite of your attempt at turning the young Arthur into your pet, it seems our magnificent Queen Kolin has managed to make him see sense. I do wonder if it is even worth keeping you bound, considering how pitiful your enchantments have proven to be," he ranted, giving one additional thing for the remnants to hear. These little mentions would serve them all well, he thought. Merlyn and her Clairvoyance were going along with it, so the Spirit Knight had even more reason to believe this method was for the best. Perhaps he'd soon know precisely why such was the case. . .

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast