Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Zuria Kingdom

Merlyn was at heart, a lazy young lass. Even so, she took her job on with an amount of emotional maturity which she thought was proper. "It's just a difference in personality. I don't like things that make me feel like I should be serious... " she mentioned in passing. Of course, it seemed that Arthur was even less helpless than she had imagined. His work in the previous world as a body guard likely prepared him to better deal with human targets than his initial bouts with monsters. This of course, was at least partly the reason she'd held off on putting him in contact with humans, but there were other more important reasons for that as well. She'd been trying to temper him for the questing ahead, and people in this world were much less likely to have anything resembling 'decent' motives for their behaviors. No matter. Many more interesting things were taking place here.

"You little brat! Just wait, you're all mine when this is over..." the skinny man said as his arrow flew off into the distance. The white haired girl within the cage seemed less than fearful of the obvious threat that this man was making towards her. "You are pretty dumb if you think that. Disposable. You're obviously disposable. Just like me~" the young girl said. She'd put together that this Knight wasn't from the Kingdom, that meant that he had to have information about this little outing. She couldn't be sure of the source of that, but it was more than obvious that it wasn't intended for this pair to return to their mistress. At the same time, the portly fellow had his dagger knocked from his hand by a swinging blade. His eyes widened at this incident as he looked at his empty hand as if dumbfounded. "Oi oi... At least shoot him or something!" exclaimed the man to the smaller one. He to his credit moved as if he planned to draw another blade while the bow wielding man sucked in an annoyed breath. "If you can't take care of one Knight alone you're not worth keeping around..." A smaller dagger in the hands of the portly man he dived forward as if he intended to take out the Knights knees and give the sniper a free shot. Strangely that arrow wouldn't be coming... as a chilling cold spread throughout the skinny man's arm, he'd find himself incapable of moving it much at all. And there was no one to blame for this, but the young half-elf within the cage, though she managed to look innocent when he finally turned back towards her. Luckily for her, she was locked within this cage, it wasn't like he could open it quickly enough for her to be in danger. So all that was left was for Arthur to take care of these two criminals.

Merlyn was a strange one indeed. At times, he couldn't tell if she was far more tactful than she let on, or... if she was secretly entirely useless. It was an odd thing to consider, but alas, he would have the true answer one day. For now, he sought a different answer. What brought these men to hunt a unicorn? Additionally, what resulted in them acquiring a girl who seemed fairly wealthy if judged by her state of dress, to lure said unicorn out? At least one of these men would have to be left alive and conscious for a bit of questioning.

One of the males thought to verbally threaten the young girl, successfully earning the detest of Arthur in doing so. Just the same, it seemed the girl had a bit of 'bite' to her when responding to the man. If there was one thing Arthur thought it imperative to do, it was to correct the lass on her assertion. "Don't say that," he said. His eyes never left the larger male for longer than a moment; he remained alert enough to swing his sword against the second incoming dagger as well. Of course, that wasn't going to be all he did. Swords were fun and effective, but he had been through so many situations which required the use of his body... that the movement of the Excalibur in his right hand, was followed by a swift, left-handed chop aimed directly for the vagus nerve at the right side of his neck. Luckily, it seemed he didn't need to be too concerned about the archer of the pair; the caged girl had him quite occupied via magical means. "Lovely girl like you? You are anything but disposable. What's your name?"

The world would continue to wonder about Merlyn's usefulness, but while this occurred, it seemed that Arthur had words to share with the young purple eyed girl. She looked towards him strangely after hearing these words. And watched with great interest as he easily dispatched the dagger wielding one of the goons she was trapped with. The man whose arm she'd practically frozen was soon searching his own person with his useful arm, looking for the key to the cage she was in. He'd practically given up on helping his partner so long as he could harm this girl. But the process was slow going considering the placement of the key and the frozen position of his arm. What he hadn't noticed yet, was the spreading of that frozen nature, through more and more of his body, until he was practically petrified where he stood. The lass looked towards Arthur as the fumbling of that particular man came to an end.

"What I said was true, obviously we three were disposable to the one who sent us here. There is no way we should have been found by anyone else... in this situation," she mentioned. Whether she thought her own self worth was tied to this situation or not, wasn't really important at the time. "I'm Emilia, nice to meet you..." the lass gave a little curtsy within the cage as was normal when meeting someone of higher standing than herself. She seemed to be very well-trained and exceedingly adept at interacting with those of higher status than herself. At the bow of her head, came the showing of her pointed ears. Her use of magic was quite good as well, with everything about this situation stopped the only thing left was for her to get out of the cage. "Oh, and thank you. For saving me." It would be in this moment which caused Merlyn to look up and speak. She had the slightest twinkle in her eye in the moment and she said something which would have sounded kind of cryptic. "She's like us by the way."

And so, down went Arthur's opponent of choice. He'd been expecting more of all humans after felling so many great beasts, but it seemed they were capable of being just as miniscule as the humans he'd encountered before. On the positive side though, there was always a beacon of hope to be found. One such example was the lass who introduced herself by the name Emilia, while curtsying to the king-to-be. She seemed to feel quite comfortable doing this, in spite of the fact that the other assailant had been trying to unlock her cage and do harm to her.

... Ah. There was a reason for that, which Arthur was just realizing. The archer of the ne'er-do-wells appeared frozen, certainly by Emilia's doing, considering how she'd been behaving in prior moments. Thankful for that, Arthur offered his own greeting... as well as his own respectful bow. "The pleasure is all mine, Emilia. Arthur Pendragon. Don't fret over being found; I had a useful... well, maybe useful... well... I was guided here by a witch," he said, finally settling on how he'd be addressing Merlyn. Speaking of Merlyn, the woman herself noted Emilia being 'like them' in a way. Arthur could only assume she meant this was someone from their world, which was sensible enough. Ah, but Arthur had an assumption of his own after seeing what the girl was capable of. "You're an elf? Oh, and don't thank me. From what you did to this guy, I'm guessing you can get yourself out of that cage pretty easily? I figure even Merlyn could do that, and you've been way more useful than her."

"Arthur Pendragon?" she said looking up at the man in surprise. "You're King Arthur?!" she seemed to be shocked by this information. To her knowledge King Arthur had ascended a long time before now, along with the Kingdom of Camelot. Surely, such a person wouldn't simply be in such a lowly place for no reason. She figured the worries of this lower world had been long since forgotten by such people. A wide eyed look escaped this lass, as something became obvious to her, this lad was unfamiliar with something about the way this world worked. She simply shook her head. "Merlin is a Kingmaker and definitely not a witch. You would know a witch if you saw one or rather if you smelled one," Emilia stated. Her words made Merlyn smile a bit, and caused the lass to share some information. "Future King... not the once King you are thinking of... but he'll still help~" she said with a bit of surety. Whether Arthur had faith in her abilities or trusted her motivations didn't really matter, she had a great deal of faith in his. Emilia also would have known if a witch was present, as she would have smelled such a thing on the air. Ah, maybe such a thing was why they were here anyways. When asked if she could get herself out of the cage she simply stepped forward.

She'd soon enough reach out of the cage and take from the side of the man the key which he'd been trying to use to get back into her cage. She'd use this to unlock the box from where she was, and gently push open the door. She had no problem freeing herself. "That really wasn't much of anything. And though I could have done it at anytime. Doing so of my own volition would have put me and someone else in danger. So, the thanks remains..." she said softly. She landed on the snow without even leaving footprints and stared up at Merlyn for a few seconds before averting her gaze. Her words about this lad were strange, if he wasn't the King Arthur she'd heard of, but instead the next one, then she'd misunderstood something. Whatever the case she had something to offer, "If it is your future to be king, be wary of the woman who is 'Queen' in this Kingdom. She'll ruin you," she said frankly.

"Arthur Pendragon, yes," he confirmed without hesitation. There was another identity associated with the name, though, and it seemed Emilia knew of it. Alas, whether she spoke of the Once King in this world, or simply of King Arthur's legend, was not quite clear. Arthur's answer to being the King Arthur would remain the same regardless, though. "If you listen to Merlyn here, I'll be King Arthur at some point. Apparently there's a line," he quipped, adding to Merlyn's mention of him being the 'Future King' specifically.

Emilia did, indeed, free herself of entrapment within mere moments. He anticipated something more along the lines of ice being used to shatter the cage, but simply grabbing the key was just as effective after all. Once she let herself loose, Arthur approached and behaved somewhat... strangely. He almost seemed like someone's doting mother, the way he leaned toward Emilia, even reaching out to tilt and turn her face. He was simply checking for 'bumps and bruises' as it were, and such was simply his nature after doing these search and rescue missions. As he did this, he was given a bit of a warning regarding Zuria's queen. It was a strange thing to hear, but corrupt monarchs were nothing to be surprised about. "Suspicious Queen; noted. Does that have anything to do with the other person you mentioned? Should we be looking for them as well?"

According to Arthur he was in line to be the next King Arthur. That did indeed clear things up for Emilia who found his presence in this part of the world to be strange if he was the King Arthur. "Sou ka, that makes more sense. I thought it would be weird for King Arthur to descend. Still, that name carries a lot of weight," she said with a bit of knowledge. After letting herself out of the cage she was confronted with a weird action. The lad began looking her over as if she was somehow injured in this exchange. She had the grace to look embarrassed in the moment, her face turning a brilliant shade of red in direct contrast to its mostly pale features.

"Ano, I'm 114 years old. I'm not a child... I don't really need looking after like that," she mentioned with a frown coming to her face. She was quite old and pretty well capable of taking care of herself. Though she wouldn't have done anything to put anyone else in danger, she definitely wasn't helpless or anything of the sort. As for his question, there was more but also less to be said in that case. "Ah, if you're going to claim what was no doubt a bounty, you'll have to enter the palace anyways. You'll meet the one I protect for yourself. She is... in a strange situation. I'm sure you'll understand it yourself. Also be wary of the King... his judgement is questionable at best." And that was that. She'd said all she needed to and knew that someone else would likely be dealing with the problems of this place that her hands were tied at. Merlyn heard out all of this girl's words and stared at her. She saw much in looking directly at her like this and understood very little. Like smaller images giving way to a bigger picture.

'Descend?' Arthur wondered. It was such specific terminology, the way she spoke of the current King Arthur. Perhaps they were in some high palace? There was yet another answer to be found in future, he supposed. After addressing the difference between Arthurs, Emilia noted her age, and with it the lack of necessity for Arthur to look after her the way he was doing. She could say that all she wanted, but he would only meet it with a scoff. "Well granny, you should be old and wise enough to know that age has nothing to do with someone wanting to make sure you're alright. You seem fine, at least," was his retort. With that, he released the flustered lass' chin and stood erect before her.

Ah yes, Arthur was essentially nothing more than a glorified bounty hunter at this point. In claiming the rewards for this quest, he would apparently be able to meet the 'other' person Emilia spoke of. He could kill two birds with one stone, then. Finding the one Emilia looked after would be a boon, and the same could be said of meeting this kingdom's leaders for himself... especially after being warned about both of them. "Well then, let's go pay this precious person a visit. Merlyn, do you at least have useful enough magic to keep these two hooligans restrained while we make our way back?"

A shocked look crossed the face of Emilia and her face became even redder. How dare he call her a granny? She was hardly old by Elf standards, though legitimately more than old enough to take care of herself by human standards. "Rude! I'm not a granny. Geez, are you sure you're going to be King?" she asked as she crossed her arms over her chest, her face was soon released though so she had no further problems. She did understand, she supposed a bit of doting over someone who was captured was hardly completely inexcusable. She still didn't like feeling embarrassed though. As for the incapacitated people who served the purpose of the bounty Merlyn hopped down from the tree. The skinny man at least had his face thaw enough for him to speak. "Don't just go talking about us like we don't exist. Just wait... you'll see, I'm gonna..." Merlyn stood directly before this man and touched his forehead with her index finger. "Sleep." she said as if it was a simple enough command. Soon after she withdrew and tapped the portly man as well. With both of them surely sleeping she rather easily used magic to place both criminals within the rolling cage that was previously used to transport Emilia. "I assume that will do? One day you are going to realize how much I am spoiling you Arthur~" she said. Still once those people were sleeping individuals were set she reached forwards, magic seeming to swirl in her hands as a strange pink energy was pulled from both of their heads. "Carry on then~ Go collect your bounty!~"

Emilia watched all of this with her brows raised. "Sou ka, so that part is true. I didn't expect it." she murmured. Legends surrounding the court wizard to the Knights of the Roundtable never really seemed likely. But given the taking of a specific kind of magical energy she was almost certain that at least a little of the rumors were true. "I can lead you back if you'd like," she said heading off in front meanwhile Merlyn took a few steps forward as well, "You get to pull the cart. Arms Day, Arthur!"

"I'm positive," he said with no hesitation whatsoever. "There's no getting around the fact that I'm going to be king. What─ do kings not joke in this world?" he questioned. Before they set out, Merlyn decided to actually do something for once. The skinnier assailant of this quest began running his mouth in defense of his honor, or whatever he was getting at, only to be rendered unconscious by a simple touch and command of Merlyn. This came before the forced sleep of that same man's companion, but also before she claimed she was spoiling Arthur himself. "Oh yes, this one showing of a useful spell is so much more than I could have asked for."

In saying such a thing, perhaps Arthur brought himself a bit of bad karma. Emilia offered to lead the way, and Arthur was subsequently left behind both women. There was a side-note from Merlyn at the time, regarding Arthur being left to drag along their prisoners. What had he done to deserve being abandoned in such a way? Probably a few things, to be honest, but it wasn't as if he wouldn't have resigned himself to the heavy lifting anyway. "Guide, or slaver?" he inquired of the universe. "Of course, Merlyn! Glad to be of service!" Nevertheless, he would soon be following Emilia's lead to the royal palace of Zuria. . .

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast